PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Sides At Nationals (CHI): Aug 1-2

Gambit
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Anyone plan on attending Nats? Here are the two legacy side events on Friday and Sat. Should I scrub in vintage champs (likely) I will definately be in on 1.5

Friday: 5:00pm $10
"Old Box" Constructed – Legacy Constructed
Swiss +1 Tournament. No Single Elimination finals. Prizes based on final standings after Swiss + 1 Rounds.
Winning player receives choice of Japanese Urza's Legacy or Japanese Urza's Destiny displays, 2nd place gets the other.
Remaining prizes are current set Boosters

Saturday: 3:00pm $10
Revised Dual Lands Constructed – Legacy Constructed
Sponsored by Gaming, Etc. (www.gamingetc.com)
Swiss +1 Tournament. No Single Elimination finals. Prizes based on final standings after Swiss + 1 Rounds.
Winner receives 30 Revised Edition Dual Lands, 2nd place receives 10 Revised Edition Dual Lands.
Remaining prizes are current set Boosters

irrelevant
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
i will be there and i'm still deciding whether to play 3 or 4 color landstill or thresh.

emidln
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Fuck swiss+1 events. I was planning to go to either this or the ICBM open. It looks like it'll be the ICBM open for me.

goobafish
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I am going, but Vintage starts just a few hours before, so I am only playing if I scrub out of Vintage.

ChiiMagic
07-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Luckily I live honestly like a 5 minute drive from where Nats is being held, so I will definitely be playing in both of these Legacy side events.

Jujuhawk
07-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I would totally go to nats if someone is going from MN, but instead of paying for gas to scrub out I'll go to the Twins game in a luxury suite I have free tickets for.

Enjoy your Swiss +1 tournies, I'll be eating loads of free food and watching the worst-good baseball team in the MLB.

Damoxx
07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
JuJu. Check out megabus.com. ~60 for a round trip minneapolis to chicago. I'm not sure if I'll be going yet, but I'm leaning towards going.

thelfj
07-15-2008, 02:07 AM
a bunch of us will be megabusing from MN, not sure if im gonna play 1.5 as im kinda sick of the format

Jujuhawk
07-15-2008, 02:13 AM
JuJu. Check out megabus.com. ~60 for a round trip minneapolis to chicago. I'm not sure if I'll be going yet, but I'm leaning towards going.

Free Twins Game > 60 Dollar scrub out.

I would go if I was Q'd anyway, but I'll stick with free.

thelfj
07-15-2008, 02:55 AM
you gotta grind in fool

Jujuhawk
07-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Haha Ari. $60 + Cost of Grinders + Cost of 1.5 - Prizes = Me broke as hell.

I'll take my chances with a free twins game. >_>.

emidln
08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I heard that there were 8 rounds of Swiss with the finals standings including three 7-1s (Dreadstill, UGR Thrash, and Ceph Breakfast). Lam Phan (the Thrash player) said the metagame was all aggro. Does anyone have any more details?

irrelevant
08-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I heard that there were 8 rounds of Swiss with the finals standings including three 7-1s (Dreadstill, UGR Thrash, and Ceph Breakfast). Lam Phan (the Thrash player) said the metagame was all aggro. Does anyone have any more details?

yeah there were a lot of goblins running around my first two matches were little green men. then it was thresh and finally dredge to round out my day.

goobafish
08-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Lam got second from what I hear.

danpo
08-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Top 3 in Legacy on Saturday was all tiebreakers for guys with 7-1 (21 points).
There were 65 players.
Alex Kim of Tennessee was first with Cephalid Breakfast featuring multiple Dreadnoughts.
Next was Lam Phan; from what I heard he brought red thresh featuring Isochron Scepter, but I didn't see it firsthand.
Third was Richard Shay with Stifle-Nought featuring Countertop, Wastelock via Crucible, Tarmogoyf, Mishra's Factory, and Underground Sea for something I never saw. He 2-0'd me.
I placed fourth (6-1-1, 19 points) with a 3c WW/Angel Stompy variant (the list is below, but my sideboard was badly conceived).
I wouldn't say the whole meta was aggro, because I faced UWr Landstill twice. Both players thought I was ridiculous for boarding in Back to Basics, but it clearly was worse for them than for me because I 2-0'd them both.
=)
Speaking of control, the day before I went 4-2-1 with MUC (4 Impulse, 4 Fact), but I was so burned out on hiding behind Props and Shackles that I was ready to play aggro.
That leads back to Saturday - I also played against Eva Green, 43land.dec, Burn, Dragon Stompy, and Death and Taxes.
Master Shake was there playing Ichorid, but I didn't notice him toward the end so I doubt things panned out terrifically there.
That's about all the details I have, besides my decklist:

3 Mother of Runes
3 Icatian Javelineers
4 Silver Knight
4 Meddling Mage
3 Gaddock Teeg
3 Jotun Grunt
3 Serra Avenger
2 Exalted Angel
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Aether Vial
2 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Plains
4 Tundra
4 Savannah
3 Windswept Heath
3 Flooded Strand
4 Wasteland

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Isn't there a better 2cc creature to splash green for? Still, I'm kind of intrigued.

J.V.
08-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Rich Shay Played Ugb Dreadstill. He was talking to Rodney and I about his list before the tournament. The Black was mainly for E.E. and Yixlid Jailer.

danpo
08-04-2008, 03:22 AM
I certainly thought about running Tarmogoyf, except...
Call me a scrub, but I'm the last Legacy player to hold off on the playset of Goyfs. The dealer selling them for 25 wasn't fully unloading them, so I'm holding out for the price to drop even further with the rotation from standard.
Plus the day before in the old-box legacy event (63 players), I saw a lot of basically bad decks (5c Painter? GBw Rock with Farseek?) that happened to contain Goyfs.
On top of that, UGw Countertop Thresh with maindeck Trygon Predator basically robbed me of prize the day before when I was playing MUC. Game 2 I saw 11 Islands and about 8 spells, and Game 3 he saw two Predators AND named Back to Basics with Meddling Mage the turn before I drew it.
So on Saturday I did the hateful thing and ran Grunts.
I liked Grunt because taking Life from the Loam away from 43land.dec was crucial to keeping him from recurring Glacial Chasm without paying its upkeep.
It was also rad against Eva Green because it went toe-to-toe against Nantuko Shade, shut Tarmogoyf the hell up, and kept him from delving to power Tombstalker.
In theory Grunt is also good against Painter and Ichorid, but as I noted above, I never found out first hand.
Oh, and Teeg was phenomenal in those Landstill match-ups. He shuts down FOW, Fact or Fiction, Wrath, Humility and Engineered Explosives. Yeah!
And he also inconvenienced Burn, because any time they have to burn your man instead of you they're setting themselves back, and in the meantime they almost certainly wish they could Fireblast.
More on that in a report sometime; I just drove nine hours.

arsenalpow
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Top 3 in Legacy on Saturday was all tiebreakers for guys with 7-1 (21 points).
Next was Lam Phan; from what I heard he brought red thresh featuring Isochron Scepter, but I didn't see it firsthand.

Probably the stock thrash list with 2 scepters in the variable slots

goobafish
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Probably the stock thrash list with 2 scepters in the variable slots

There were no scepters... It was a stock list.

arsenalpow
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
on a side note gooba i saw you were mentioned in a tourney report playing UR Landstill in vintage. I'm curious to see your list.

danpo
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I like the list. What will you cut for those four Tarmos..?

Well, the first three slots are easy: Grunts. The two together would be a non-bo.
The fourth slot, I don't know. I really like all the flying hot chicks, so I'm tempted to say I'd move the third Teeg to the board because drawing two does happen and it sucks.

Frenger
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
on a side note gooba i saw you were mentioned in a tourney report playing UR Landstill in vintage. I'm curious to see your list.

I too would like to see this list, on another forum UR landstill came up and i couldnt find a list newer than 1 year old.

goobafish
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
It is 1 year old. Check the Top 8 lists from last year's Vintage worlds. But it is still very current, I won a 1k tournament with it last weekend.

Frenger
08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Richard Mattiuzzo, Landstill
2007 Vintage Championship Top 8

3 Faerie Conclave
2 Flooded Strand
2 Island
1 Library of Alexandria
4 Mishra's Factory
2 Polluted Delta
2 Steam Vents
1 Strip Mine
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
3 Chain of Vapor
1 Crucible of Worlds
4 Fire // Ice
4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
3 Misdirection
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Null Rod
4 Standstill
4 Stifle
1 Time Walk

Sideboard

4 Chalice of the Void
2 Pyroblast
3 Rack and Ruin
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Threads of Disloyalty
15 sideboard cards

Wiggy
08-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Yay, first post!

I won the Friday Legacy Old Box event (and a box of Japanese Legacy), going 6-1 with the following list:

RGb Aggro Loam

4 Countryside Crusher
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Terravore
1 Genesis
3 Burning Wish
3 Devastating Dreams
3 Life From the Loam
3 Seismic Assault
4 Mox Diamond
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Taiga
1 Badlands
3 Wasteland
4 Forgotten Cave
3 Tranquil Thicket
1 Volrath's Stronghold
2 Forest
2 Mountain

Sideboard

4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Extirpate
3 Krosan Grip
1 Devastating Dreams
1 Nostalgic Dreams
1 Life From the Loam
1 Reverent Silence
1 Shattering Spree

Matches were as follows:

UB(g?) faeries with bitterblossom, stifle + dreadnought
43 land
UBwg landstill (with morphling!)
Affinity
UGw thresh
Ichorid
Mono green stompy

My only loss was to thresh, largely due to me keeping questionable hands and walking into daze. But the rest of the day went well, with chalice and EE being great for me. I'll write up a report later if there is any interest!

Bill Staude / Wiggy