PDA

View Full Version : [Report] TES takes 4th at $1,000 Play the Game event

Bryant Cook
07-20-2008, 07:46 PM
https://theepicstorm.com/play-the-game-1k-07-20-2008-4th-place

Michael Keller
07-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Well played.

Now take the money and buy some foil Asian Ponders, you whore!

Whit3 Ghost
07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Grats on the finish, once again, I wish I could've made it.

GreenOne
07-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Were you happy with your choice of thoughtseize?
Were you playing the Orchard instead of the City of Bolts because of Thoughtseizes in the deck?

Did you miss some number of Xantids in the SB?
Congrats on the finish!

Also,

Game Two: Nick Therapy's me naming Dark Ritual. I reveal my hand...
Chrome Mox, Shattering Spree, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Orchard. I soon after win the game.
How the hell did you win this? Drew LED? Brainstorm into goodness?

edgewalker
07-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Well played.

Now take the money and buy some foil Asian Ponders, you whore!

Speaking of making money, Bryant did you know you can make like 20 bucks a pop sucking dick.

Bryant Cook
07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Were you happy with your choice of thoughtseize?
Were you playing the Orchard instead of the City of Bolts because of Thoughtseizes in the deck?

Did you miss some number of Xantids in the SB?
Congrats on the finish!

Also,

How the hell did you win this? Drew LED? Brainstorm into goodness?

The quote is a mistake, I only had one Infernal, I had a Lion's Eye Diamond in hand. It was a turn one win through Chalice of the Void. Thoughtsieze has been amazing. Especially against blue and permanent based problems ...counterbalance...

You guessed it, Orchard is because of Tarnished Citadel, take 5 blows. Xantid is good, but I'd much rather be able to deal with Counterbalance. People have been playing less and less chants. Or you can discard them with Thoughtsieze.

Rood
07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Way to cave skull.

GreenOne
07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
The quote is a mistake, I only had one Infernal, I had a Lion's Eye Diamond in hand. It was a turn one win through Chalice of the Void.

It's not a simple hand. Your hand is now Chrome Mox, Shattering Spree, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Lion's Eye Diamond, Orchard.

This hand can't combo right now.
Did you draw LED/D.Rit and comboed on the spot with IGG?
Or did you draw a SSS, Mox, Rite of flame and D.Return with 0 mana floating?
Or did you play the LED to avoid the flashback of therapy waiting to draw some other mana?

Sry about those tedious questions!

Bryant Cook
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
It's not a simple hand. Your hand is now Chrome Mox, Shattering Spree, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Lion's Eye Diamond, Orchard.

This hand can't combo right now.
Did you draw LED/D.Rit and comboed on the spot with IGG?
Or did you draw a SSS, Mox, Rite of flame and D.Return with 0 mana floating?
Or did you play the LED to avoid the flashback of therapy waiting to draw some other mana?

Sry about those tedious questions!

I drew a land. Played LED, passed. On my turn drew Brainstorm into SSG, Dark Ritual, X. Won from there.

Citrus-God
07-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice finish. How's the random Contract? I feel really tempted to cut it for another Ponder because Ponder finds LED and Tutors more effectively than Contract. Also, why use Contract to reload against control when you can just punch your opponent's hand with Thoughtseize and bluffing Chants and find something useful off your Ponder?

Bryant Cook
07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Nice finish. How's the random Contract? I feel really tempted to cut it for another Ponder because Ponder finds LED and Tutors more effectively than Contract. Also, why use Contract to reload against control when you can just punch your opponent's hand with Thoughtseize and bluffing Chants and find something useful off your Ponder?

Card advantage. It fixes mulligans and wins games on it's own. Did you read how it won me the round against survival? It's amazing against discard. It also allows you to win without using Ill-Gotten Gains or Diminishing returns as a storm generator.

Citrus-God
07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Card advantage. It fixes mulligans and wins games on it's own. Did you read how it won me the round against survival? It's amazing against discard. It also allows you to win without using Ill-Gotten Gains or Diminishing returns as a storm generator.

I understand. Since you put it that way, do you see yourself running a 2nd copy again in the near future?

J.V.
07-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Congrats on the finish Bryant. Although I went 3-4 with your list it was Solid for me as well. I honestly just had awful luck:
Things like Diminishing Returning off 4 B-Wish, Tendrils, and Empty happened... Oh well.

Bryant Cook
07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone. Hollywood I just bought 2x Jap foil Ponder, a 4th Jap Foil Rite of Flame and another Jap Foil Chant. Happy?

It happens Tom, I bombed the Mox event.

Nightmare
07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/AdamNightmare/workhorse.jpg

Di
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I actually should be sitting on top of Bryant in this picture. Can you photoshop a cowboy into that?

Nightmare
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I actually should be sitting on top of Bryant in this picture. Can you photoshop a cowboy into that?

You don't RIDE the workhorse, asshat. He pulls you. In a cart. A cart made of win.

Di
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I was referring to the fact that I should be workhorse #2. This was the first large event I haven't top8d in in a while.

asdljas
07-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Bryant, how and when do you sideboard in the Shushers and Pyroblast? Obviously, you're not going to sideboard in all six and leave in 4 Chant and 3 Thoughtseize; it will just dilute your combo way too much. What/when do you side out for those cards?

Congrats on your win, btw. Amazing.

Bryant Cook
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Bryant, how and when do you sideboard in the Shushers and Pyroblast? Obviously, you're not going to sideboard in all six and leave in 4 Chant and 3 Thoughtseize; it will just dilute your combo way too much. What/when do you side out for those cards?

Congrats on your win, btw. Amazing.

Read the report. It says how I sideboard.