PDA

View Full Version : Pandemonium Mox Emerald Tournament: Chris Walton's last event.

Patrick
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Sundey, July 20th was my friend Chris' last Legacy tournament. Due to numerous personal reasons he's opted to begin selling his collection off, worth several thousand dollars. He told me that this Mox event was going to be his last tournament. I was pretty disappointed when he told me he was getting out of the game. Chris and I are pretty good friends, and most of what I know about competitive Magic I've learned from him. I quit the game for almost 2 years, and sold off my collection. When I got back into the game Chris gave me unlimited access to his cards, allowing me to play any tier 1, 2 and most unestablished decks.

Recently I'd been toying around White Stax, after seeing a player at my local shop do well with it. I looked up a basic list and made some modifications and began playing with it for almost a month.

Sunday morning I get online to tell Chris I'm coming over to pick him up to go to Pando, and he tells me he hasn't decided on a deck. This is fairly typical of him, but I'm disappointed anyway. I tell him "Just play Stax, it's good." and he says "ok'. We have about a 45 minute drive to Pandemonium, and in that drive he made a couple small adjustments.

I was happy to see Chris performing well in the swiss, and relieved when he made Top 8. He played against mono green stompy, and I was sure he had that match in the bag. Trinisphere, Chalice and Moat go a long way against berserking green men. Horray, I thought. White stax goes to the Top 4 in his last tourny, at least he'll walk away with a good prize.

I walk back to the judge table and look at the T8 matchups and realize that it's probable that his T4 match will be goblins. Even better! Needless to say he smashes goblins 2-0 and moves to the finals.

The other semi-final match was UGW threshold against a threshold-esque build using stifle/dreadnought and enlightened tutor, dubbed Stiflenought. Both players are tired and make several play mistakes, and the match takes no less than 2 and a half hours. 150 minutes, or more. 3 rounds of normal magic.

The UGW thresh build comes out on top, and Chris promptly wins 2-0. To give the player, Scott Markwark credit, he was very unfamiliar with the format, and got little to no break after his T4 match.

So about 10 hours later, White Stax takes the Mox home. Congrats Chris! Afterwards, Chris and I take our friend David to Chinese and eat. Oh yeah, my car also got kidnapped by my family and was gone almost the whole day. Boo!

I'm unhappy to see Chris leave the game, but I'm grateful for all the things I've learned playing with him and for his unlimited patience of me screwing around with 4 decks before deciding I'll just play Goblins again.

Thanks for reading guys!

umbowta
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Congrats Chris. We'll miss you...for a while. You'll be back. The addiction never goes away completely.

The Wes
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
You should post the stax lists you both used in the Armageddon stax thread in the Established Decks forum. I know we'd love to see some lists that did well at an event.