PDA

View Full Version : [DTB] ChubStill (56 Land 4 Spore Frog.dec!)

Rood
07-28-2008, 08:00 PM
The savage tech deck has finally been released! This is just a casual deck with a helarious concept: Frog beatdown. It was mainly just to have fun with but it can actually catch your oponent off guard sometimes.

// Lands
5 [IA] Island (2)
4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
2 [IN] Forest (1)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
1 [DIS] Breeding Pool

// Creatures
4 [EX] Whiptongue Frog
4 [UL] Bloated Toad
4 [PY] Spore Frog
2 [5E] Chub Toad
2 [DIS] Omnibian

// Spells
4 [TSB] Unstable Mutation
4 [B] Berserk
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [FNM] Rancor
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [R] Blue Elemental Blast

Some card choices:

[B]Whiptongue Frog: One of the better frogs I mean really, he's a badass that can fly over other creatures and cave skull.
Bloated Toad: Protection from blue, so you know what that means immunity to Pongify and Trinket Mage!
Spore Frog: The nuts, this guy is pretty much hands down the core of the deck, he's just that broken.
Chub Toad: Can you say win target game?
Ominibian Is a nice beater can produce teh broken frogz by tapping.
Unstable Mutation: a 1 mana +3 pump spell to make all the frogs surely scary.
Berserk: Can make your Goyfs/Frogs insanely powered and quite fearful.
Force of Will: Gives you early answers to any spells played mostly, maybe the most blue card in magic.
Rancor: This can make every frog you drop a threat, it returns too which is pretty nice.
Brainstorm: Retardedly good draw spell, digs for any answers you need.
Daze: Works as free counterspells 5-8.

SB mainly is there to deal with tons of tough matchups but it's flexible to whatever meta you're in.

Matchups: Unknown, more testing needs to be done! But Spore Frog will surely get you there =). I know this deck isn't meant for tournament play it's just a fairly fun concept if you ever are in for a laugh or two.

Maagler
07-28-2008, 09:11 PM
you need to stop it with these deck, this is even more broke than dreadstill. Now i get what you guy always giggled about whenever one of you mentioned spore frog.

GenioDeArena
07-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, you do get props for creative deckbuilding... only that Tarmo is there to spoil the fun, I mean Come on, this guy appears even in cassual decks, give him a chance to rest sometime! At least play with Changeling Whatever or Riptide replicator!
Agh. Im having nightmares with tarmos appearing in my dinner or inside my socks! Ifi could only grave them and sell them later... But that, sadly, is another story

Peace on, Keep Cassual

nitewolf9
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
This deck needs more spiritmonger.

xsockmonkeyx
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Deck fails for not including Chub Toad.

Zork
07-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Chub Toad Chub Toad at the door,
run away quick or you'll run no more!

Seriously, Chub Toad is busted.

J.V.
07-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Funny story about Chub Toad... he was in the original build, but unfortunately the printing of Tarmogoyf warranted the cutting of Chub Toad.

xsockmonkeyx
07-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Hence the fail.

J.V.
07-29-2008, 01:32 AM
yeah but the fine print of magic the gathering's official rule book clearly states if you are not playing Storm or Ichorid you deck must include tarmogoyf, we already break that rule enough so we had to make a sacrifice, and that sacrifice just happened to be Chub Toad.

xsockmonkeyx
07-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Shit, my bad.

Muradin
07-29-2008, 04:28 AM
This deck needs more "Plaxcaster Frogling". I think he would be much cooler than goyf in this deck and is even better than some of the other frogs in here.

Skeggi
07-29-2008, 05:29 AM
This deck needs more "Plaxcaster Frogling". I think he would be much cooler than goyf in this deck and is even better than some of the other frogs in here.

Nah, Omnibian (http://magiccards.info/di/en/119.html) tbh.

Anyway, about Chub Toad...he's not a toad anymore, he's a frog now o.O

Lego
07-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Seriously, how can you have a Frog deck with no Omnibian? And Plaxcaster is baaarooken :wink:

Rood
07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Updated to more frog brokeness by request, hail Chub Toad.

lolosoon
07-29-2008, 12:56 PM
This deck weakness vs counterspells bothers me...

Belbe's Portal being too costly for this beast, you do have to find rooms for Artificial Evolution + Didgeridoo barokeness.

For 1+U, you've got the same power/cost efficiency as in StifleNought but way more cooler and gamebreaking.

This deck is plaguing Top8 in every French Legacy event right now !!

Peter_Rotten
07-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Guess what! Anurids are frogs under the Oracle text! Have fun with that.

Rood
07-29-2008, 01:10 PM

True that, this deck is breaking the format in two as we speak.

xsockmonkeyx
07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Finally. It's about time you ad-ALL GLORY TO CHUB TOAD

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/saxamaphone314/All-hail-Chub-Toad.gif

Ghostfire45
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
This deck seems hella fun, but is it any good at all? I mean even a little? The critters are surprisingly solid and the spells fit the curve quite well. It wouldn't surprise me if this deck turned out to be kinda good.

I would apretiate knowing its matchups and how much it would cost to build.

frenchy-man
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM

I did not even know the deck, and most (not to say all) of the legacy french players also don't know it. Or perhaps it is still secret and tournaments reports are censured to preserve the surprise.

Or my bad English didn't allow me to understand the irony...

Nihil Credo
07-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Or my bad English didn't allow me to understand the irony...
Every non-French knows that French people eat only frogs.

Rood
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
This deck seems hella fun, but is it any good at all? I mean even a little? The critters are surprisingly solid and the spells fit the curve quite well. It wouldn't surprise me if this deck turned out to be kinda good.

I would apretiate knowing its matchups and how much it would cost to build.

My guess is it COULd be okay but it would need a bit of improving from my original list. Plaxcaster is a good idea to start like others said, and maybe even another Omnibian? Also I'm not entirely sold on Daze in this deck it could probally be Spell Snare, instead. Also it's probally the most fun of any deck, possible ever? Spore Frog beatdown I mean come on that's brokenly awesome!

HAIL CHUB TOAD.

frenchy-man
07-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Ok. French people are the lone people not to know it then ;-)

syssc9
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
LOL! It could also be all you Toad, er, frog players have your tounges planted firmly in cheek. Didgeridoo indeed!

Skeggi
07-30-2008, 01:33 AM

WRONG! They also eat snails...

Pulp_Fiction
07-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Now the only way someone could play this deck is with 4x FOIL SPORE FROG in it!!! If your deck doesn't contain at least 2x copies of foil Spore Frogs then you have no business playing it!! Generally against something like Goblins when you go turn 1 Tropical Island, FOIL SPORE FROG their unoriginal deck can not take the holy awesomeness that is the FOIL FROG!!

Skeggi
07-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Generally against something like Goblins when you go turn 1 Tropical Island, FOIL SPORE FROG their unoriginal deck can not take the holy awesomeness that is the FOIL FROG!!

QFT

xsockmonkeyx
07-30-2008, 02:45 AM
My guess is it COULd be okay but it would need a bit of improving from my original list. Plaxcaster is a good idea to start like others said, and maybe even another Omnibian? Also I'm not entirely sold on Daze in this deck it could probally be Spell Snare, instead. Also it's probally the most fun of any deck, possible ever? Spore Frog beatdown I mean come on that's brokenly awesome!

HAIL CHUB TOAD.

Plaxcaster is not as good as here, as the the only frog you really want to protect is the one that's gonna get Berserked. But, sadly, it is decidedly better than the mighty Chub Toad. Anurid Barkripper and Anurid Scavenger might be good, I dont know. But definitely not together. Pro:black is a lot more useful than Pro:blue. Bonesplitter might be better than Unstable Mutation here. You can strap a bunch of Rancors and Bonesplitters on pretty much anything and beat face.

GenioDeArena
07-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Plaxcaster is not as good as here, as the the only frog you really want to protect is the one that's gonna get Berserked. But, sadly, it is decidedly better than the mighty Chub Toad. Anurid Barkripper and Anurid Scavenger might be good, I dont know. But definitely not together. Pro:black is a lot more useful than Pro:blue. Bonesplitter might be better than Unstable Mutation here. You can strap a bunch of Rancors and Bonesplitters on pretty much anything and beat face.

You are true on the Anurids. As the deck is now, -2 Chub toad for Anurid scavenger seems right. Old schol UG control allways used recursión as gaeas blessing, The spore deck is aggro-control and can attack with a engine recicler.The deck allready runs enogh shufling effects to make spore frog a recurring anoyance.

-Cant catch what you cant see-

Skeggi
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
As the deck is now, -2 Chub toad for Anurid scavenger seems right.

Seems wrong to me: the deck would lack The Chubb. Honestly, if you worry about things being good, put back in the goyfs.

zulander
07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Wait... so this deck doesn't actually play 56 lands? wtfever this is ghey.

NQN
07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
You`re french, obv it´s the second reason.

Rood
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
You are true on the Anurids. As the deck is now, -2 Chub toad for Anurid scavenger seems right. Old schol UG control allways used recursión as gaeas blessing, The spore deck is aggro-control and can attack with a engine recicler.The deck allready runs enogh shufling effects to make spore frog a recurring anoyance.

-Cant catch what you cant see-

But it's the Chubb!! Why would you ever cut him for anything other then cooler looking Chub Toads?

GenioDeArena
07-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh come on!! Chub Toad is nice and has the cute factor going on, but casual is power within boundaries. Ill make the scavenger a 3 of just because.

Ghostfire45
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
this entire deck is casual. Not playing chub toad is like not playing the collest guy in the deck. Anurid Scavenger is good though.

xsockmonkeyx
07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Here's my list, go forth and beatdown with amphibians:

// Lands
2 [IA] Island (2)
4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
1 [IN] Forest (1)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 [b] Tropical Island
1 [DIS] Breeding Pool
4 Mutavault

// Creatures
4 Plaxcaster Whatever
4 Anurid Scavenger
4 [PY] Spore Frog
1 [5E] Chub Toad
1 [DIS] Omnibian
1 Bloated Toad
1 Whiptongue Frog

// Spells
4 Bonesplitter
4 [b] Berserk
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [FNM] Rancor
4 [5E] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze

I decided to move away from total Chubb beatdown and adopted more of a toolbox approach which, of course, you tutor up with divine intervention. Berserk + Spore Frog is svg.

EDIT: I finally decided to go with Plaxcaster as it is blue and thereby can be pitched to Force of Will if you need to pay it's alternate cost. That kind of synergy can't be ignored.

HammafistRoob
07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Bloatedb Toad is fucking insane!!!!
I think I'm going to mash this deck together with Dreadstill and play my 120 card deck with a smile.

EDIT- I'm so fucking hapy taht this deck got it's well deserved DTB status. Took long enough...

Rood
07-31-2008, 11:11 PM
It's true, Bloated Toad is TEH WINZORs. He gives you immunity to Pongify srly that's broken in itself because Pongify is EVERYWHERE amirite? And hell, he cycles when he's dead (although I can't ever see this happening as he's teh busted.)

thefreakaccident
08-01-2008, 02:54 AM
This deck is actually like way better than dreadstill... Like seriously, no joke.

EDIT: Is this like hulk-flash # 4 now or what?!

Skeggi
08-01-2008, 03:04 AM
EDIT: Is this like hulk-flash # 4 now or what?!

Yeah, but without the Hulk, or Flash...and with Frogs, and alot more awesomeness.

HammafistRoob
08-01-2008, 05:08 PM
My current build-

Main- 63
60 Spore Frog
3 Forest

Side- 15
13 Chub Toad
1 Bloated Toad
1 Tarmogoyf

My side originally had 12 Chub, 1 Bloated, 2 Goyf. But I found some noob who traded me a Chub Toad for one of my Goyfs.

Bane of the Living
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I dare you to bring frogs.dec to a tournament.

Add Chameleon Colossus, grow a pair, and bring it to Hadley.

J.V.
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
we don't have berserks anymore... :cry: otherwise, I would.

Bane of the Living
08-01-2008, 06:14 PM
we don't have berserks anymore... :cry: otherwise, I would.

Jitte makes any creature worthy.

J.V.
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Jitte makes any creature worthy.

It's just not the same.

Rood
08-02-2008, 12:17 AM
I just got a crazy idea...Hatred+Spore Frog. Holy shit that combo is game ending in itself isn't it? Your oponent will cower in fear as his head gets crushed by an enraged Spore Frog, lol.

HammafistRoob
08-02-2008, 01:11 AM
But dude, if you splash black the manabase would be SOOOOOO fragile.

xsockmonkeyx
08-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Chub Toad soap (http://cgi.ebay.com/Chub-Toad-Homemade-Soap-Great-Gag-Gift-Magic-MTG_W0QQitemZ150136924586QQihZ005QQcategoryZ218QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247)

WTF?

Zork
08-03-2008, 10:15 PM
So how does this deck fare against tier 1? Does it have enough aggro to race Wizard Control? Enough disruption against Food Chain Aurochs? Enough control against Thunderbluff? What do you side in against Aluratog?

If anyone needs to test, I have lists of both Thunderbluff and Wizard Control.

xsockmonkeyx
08-07-2008, 09:53 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/saxamaphone314/stachelktote.jpg

HammafistRoob
08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Chubb Toad is the fucking Shitt. I vote best creature ever.

Michael Keller
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I dare you to bring frogs.dec to a tournament.

Add Chameleon Colossus, grow a pair, and bring it to Hadley.

If I played against a man with frogs, I'd scoop.

Spectör
08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Chubb Toad is the fucking Shitt. I vote best creature ever.

Chimney Imp will fight for that spot. Period.

GenioDeArena
08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
So how does this deck fare against tier 1? Does it have enough aggro to race Wizard Control? Enough disruption against Food Chain Aurochs? Enough control against Thunderbluff? What do you side in against Aluratog?

If anyone needs to test, I have lists of both Thunderbluff and Wizard Control.

Food chain aurochs seems interesting, but Id go for Wizard controls all day long. Can you spare me the current decklist?
I wish I could really find a decent shell for my Ouphe deck... sigh.

Rood
08-09-2008, 12:50 AM
The frogs are the way to go, screw Aurochs. Caving skull with a 22/22 trampling Chub toad is by far the greatest thing ever.

FluffyPinkBunnies
08-09-2008, 01:27 AM
I built this deck on MWS and its awsome, we need to convince WotC to make FNM Chub Toads

J.V.
08-09-2008, 02:10 AM
The frogs are the way to go, screw Aurochs. Caving skull with a 22/22 trampling Chub toad is by far the greatest thing ever.

To be fair it's actually a 22/2 trampling Chub Toad.

Rood
08-09-2008, 03:16 AM
RAWR! This is potentially the scariest creature to ever be printed I mean look at this face!
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w247/Roodmistah/REALCHUBB-3.jpg
Throw a rancor and some Zerks on him and that's a scary M0F0 frog.

Mijorre
08-09-2008, 06:38 AM
To be fair it's actually a 22/2 trampling Chub Toad.

A 22/3 :3. It gets +2/+2 upon caving skull.

J.V.
08-10-2008, 03:10 AM
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/00/09/a152_1.JPGhttp://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a8/de/2930_1.JPG
Some pimp frogs <3

Roman Candle
08-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Has anyone considered a Stompy manabase-- 4 City, 4 Tomb, 4 Mox? It would enable a turn 1 Chub Toad. That's pretty hardcore.

HammafistRoob
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow, Morgue Toad is busted, I might splash black for him.

Rood
08-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Has anyone considered a Stompy manabase-- 4 City, 4 Tomb, 4 Mox? It would enable a turn 1 Chub Toad. That's pretty hardcore.

That's way too broken for this format. A turn one Chubb would just crap on anyone not running the Chubb.

xsockmonkeyx
08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
The problem with the Stompy manabase is that if you run it you are also required to also run Chalice, which cuts off 2 of your best cards: Spore Frog and Berserk. It sucks but that's the rules. Now you may be able to win games outright with a turn 1 Chubb, but you'll probably lose just as many games because of the Anti-Froglock. So, in the end, it's probably not worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

-Slay

Ghostfire45
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Glad someone else had this thought. I think the deck should run just the city of traders OR the tomb that way you don't lock into a stompy build and can still turn two CHUB. The full stompy base just doesn't work well since you run a lot of 1 drops.

Rush
08-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Mad props for originality. This deck made me laugh the first time I saw it.

Willoe
08-14-2008, 05:41 PM
4 Æther Vial
4 Standstill
4 Force of Will
2 Steely Resolve
2 Cover of Darkness

4 Chub Toad
4 Plaxcaster Frogling
4 Chub Toad
2 Noxious Toad
4 Wretched Anurid
4 Spore Frog
2 Omnibian

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Polluted Delta
1 Bayou
1 Underground Sea
4 Tropical Island
4 Mutavault
1 Island
1 Forest

Just brewed this deck, and it seems awesome. Vialing in the Chubb is sheer brokenness. It deals with so many things in the format.

The deck simply busts Æther Vial. Thought Goblins were the deck for Æther Vial? Go drool at the curve:

1cc - 4
2cc - 4
3cc - 14
4cc - 2

Wow, that rocks. Standstill is perfect with Æther Vial. I also added Mutavault. Maybe it can't deal with Mongoose, but it's a frog! We have the Chubb to deal with Goose. Against Tarmogoyf? You do of course vial in Noxious Toad, block and force them to DISCARD! :O

Ombnibian simply murders dreadstill. HammafistRoob, your old dec just got a nemesis: Frogstill.

EDIT: Forgot to tell how awesome Cover of Darkness is. So is Steely Resolve. Against mass removal? FoW in hand, enforced by luck, not by cantrips, which is really the best shell in legacy. Froggish agressivity > Cantrips.

Skeggi
08-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Ombnibian simply murders dreadstill. HammafistRoob, your old dec just got a nemesis: Frogstill.

Wouldn't a name like Chubstill strike more fear into the heart of your opponent?

thefreakaccident
08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I played this deck in a tournament last friday.... this shiz is rediculous!

Round one: Hulk-Flash.. 2-0

Easy win, they cannot win through massive frog advantage.

Round two: Thunderbluff.. 2-1

Close games, game one he just totally locked me up, but my resolve and awesome deck, along with some extremely tight play pulls the other two games for me.

Round three: The mirror.. 1-2

He got extremely lucky and got a firest turn win and a 0 turn win, both with 6 protection spells, to my 6 protection spells... bad beats.

Round four: Dreadstill.. 2-0, easy

He goes for dreadnoughrt turn two, I let it resolve both games, and just kill him on my first and second turns, his deck doesn't have shit on me.

I ended up winning due to great breakers, and awesome chubstill piloting skills.

xsockmonkeyx
08-15-2008, 07:14 PM
<3 u guise so much right now.

Kitchen Table Hero
08-15-2008, 08:29 PM
4 Æther Vial
4 Standstill
4 Force of Will
2 Steely Resolve
2 Cover of Darkness

4 Chub Toad
4 Plaxcaster Frogling
4 Chub Toad
2 Noxious Toad
4 Wretched Anurid
4 Spore Frog
2 Omnibian

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Polluted Delta
1 Bayou
1 Underground Sea
4 Tropical Island
4 Mutavault
1 Island
1 Forest

After piloting a very similar build to my local tourney last week (approx 80ppl) and winning it I came back this week only to find out that EVERYBODY was splashing black and running maindeck Frogtosser Banneret as hate.

I just laughed, even though the tosser sometimes slowed me down by a turn, it isnt enough to stop my backup win condition of a Chub enchanted with Frog Tongue attacking for the win by giving the opponent 1 tadpole counter.

WOtC insiders tell me bad news is coming our way come the next round of bannings though, as well as frog-hate having a MAJOR presence in Shards of Alara.

I dont know about you guys, but Im actually looking forward to breaking some more cards, whiptoungue especially seems to have a lot going for it in the current meta.

Rood
08-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Wouldn't a name like Chubstill strike more fear into the heart of your opponent?

I am stricken with FeAr to Chubstill, lol. I must say Willoe your list looks pretty promising but it lacks Berserk. Berserk on the Chubb is redic especially when they block! Drawing three off a Standstill into a Spore Frog is svg though and will CRUSH noob.

xsockmonkeyx
08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I really think they should consider banning Chub with everybody finding a way to fit it into their deck if they are running any creatures at all.

This is already happening in my meta. Every deck that people are testing has Chubtoad in it. Combo is so absent at this point, except in decks with a red splash that sideboard in EtW, that it's becoming dangerous to go down to the local card shop and play. Too easy to pretend combo actually doesn't exist any more and build decks fatally flawed against it.

I should also say at this point that Chubtoad will fit in most of the belcher variants and I'm expecting somebody to use him as an alternate win condition coming out of the sideboard in the same way that Phyrexian Negator was used as an alternate win condition in some of the Flash-Hulk decks.

Well, I mean, we've already got decks like Chub Threshold, Deadchub Ale, Survival of the Chubfest, and now, thanks to Mad Zur, Chubalid Breakfast.

And now Tribal and Planeswalker cards are going to make it more ridiculous.

So it probably won't end until we have decks like Eight-Nine (Yes, Chubtoad will have the potential to reach that), Chub Stax, Chubbelcher, Chubchantress, Vial Chublins, Chubstill, Chub from the Loam, FaerchubStompy, Chub-Pox, Chub Confinement, 8-Land Chub stompy, some deck built to abuse Chubtoad/Clone/Vesuvan Shapeshifer/Dance of Many, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Chubidarity.

EDIT: And Ichubrid.

Willoe
08-16-2008, 02:26 PM
That post wins the thread.

Props!

EDIT: Partly sigged.

kidsmokin
08-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I have been extensively prepping a ChubStax list and the trend I've noticed is that all decks will scoop to a t3 Chubbalicious unless they can respond with Chub of their own. Against Chubstill I'm 13-13 and they've mostly been decided by a t3-4 Chubb. The majority have been scoops to early Chubs but some of them of turned into Chub Wars, which makes me want to run some Chub recursion (only Chubs can defeat other Chubs, so these Chub wars get ugly) to improve the Chubstill matchup.

thefreakaccident
08-16-2008, 03:35 PM
@ monkey, the feeling is now mutual :wink:

Willoe
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Guys, do you think that DCI knows how powerful the Chubb is?

It gets the hammer soon, I know it. I hope it's before the Source 5th anniversary tourney, if it isn't banned by then, it will completely destroy the tournament like Flash destroyed Legacy last year.

The Chubb is:

- Easy splashable. I even consider it as mainboard material for Spanish Inquisition.

- An incredibly fast clock. Most decks can't even react before they're dead. The Chubb is way too mana-efficent.

- a powerful tool in green for a long, long time. I can see Threshold decks replacing Werebear with the Chubb. At the moment, I'm not sure, but it will certainly - along with the recently printing of Ray of Erasure - push Threshold into tier 1.

- Perfectly dodges Counterbalance. Now, battles between Threshold decks isn't determined by who gets Counterbalance down first, but by the first player to land the Chubb or by the player who splashes black and thoughtseizes + extirpates it.

I'm scared of a so-called metaChubb, it will utterly destroy the format. Newer players can't get into the game because most players can't afford a playset of the Chubb.

Who other than me has been so lucky that they eBayed a playset for around 70 bucks?

EDIT: xsockmonkeyx has said almost the same as me, but that is no surprise. I think that players who doesn't understand the raw power and efficency of the Chubb should really consider quitting Magic.

TheLion
08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I began replacing Akroma with Chub Toad in my Full English Breakfast deck... He is amazing. People just don't dare to block him (because of his gamewrecking ability), when i attack with my Shapeshifter, while Chub Toad is in graveyard. Then i just survival for Phage and win.
The great benefit over Akroma is, that he can easily be hard cast on turn 2 and sometimes make people scoop!

Willoe
08-17-2008, 09:05 AM
The meta is changing. Beginning of the end IMO.

xsockmonkeyx
08-17-2008, 02:40 PM
The Chubb is:

- Easy splashable. I even consider it as mainboard material for Spanish Inquisition.

- An incredibly fast clock. Most decks can't even react before they're dead. The Chubb is way too mana-efficent.

- a powerful tool in green for a long, long time. I can see Threshold decks replacing Werebear with the Chubb. At the moment, I'm not sure, but it will certainly - along with the recently printing of Ray of Erasure - push Threshold into tier 1.

- Perfectly dodges Counterbalance. Now, battles between Threshold decks isn't determined by who gets Counterbalance down first, but by the first player to land the Chubb or by the player who splashes black and thoughtseizes + extirpates it.

I'm scared of a so-called metaChubb, it will utterly destroy the format. Newer players can't get into the game because most players can't afford a playset of the Chubb.

Who other than me has been so lucky that they eBayed a playset for around 70 bucks?

I recall a discussion several months ago about Chub's price here. Everyone was convinced that Chub won't drop in price significantly post rotation?

I'm starting to think that's all nonsense.

Name one chase rare that didn't plummet atleast 40% in price when it rotated out?

Sure Chub is better in extended and legacy and is very sought after there.

But there is a crapload of type 2 players than legacy and extended players.

By a crapload, I mean atleast 10 times as many. Just look around you. Barely anyone plays legacy. Every store that offers FNM and regular tourneys heavily supports type 2. Legacy almost never gets support, and when it does, it's an afterthough with about a 1/10th as much attendence.

There are a lot of Chubs out there. The whole time Ice Age block sold by the boatload. Far more so than any other block in magic's history, look it up.

Every competitive type 2 player has a playset, and they are all about to get rid of them.

So would the price not plummet when they do?

What standard chase rares haven't?

Carabas
08-17-2008, 05:59 PM
One with Nothing didn't waver in price at the slightest, when it rotated out.
I think the Chub might actually be more powerful than OwN. I'm predicting that many of the players who only play type 2 will become upset at how slow a format without chub toad is, and will switch to older formats. Prices of legacy staples like Great Wall will skyrocket, and Chub Toad will stay as spendy as ever.

Jaiminho
08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm considering playing Chub toad in FT as the main win condition, so I'm calling that variant Chubland Tendrils. I need a MWS testing partner.

Rush
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Have you tried any Anurids?

J.V.
08-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Despite the Oracle text I'm still not convinced they are frogs... :wink:

I'm considering playing Chub toad in FT as the main win condition, so I'm calling that variant Chubland Tendrils. I need a MWS testing partner.
PM me Jaiminho I still need to test Canadian Chub against Chub based combo.

xsockmonkeyx
08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I played Chubstill on Sunday to a 3/4th split. A few players were going to drop when they found out I would be bringing the Chubb, and even joked that they should just give me the prize for 1st now. However, it was not to be.

Anyways, here is the list I regged:
Lands:21
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Wasteland
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Tropical Island
2 Volcanic Island
4 Island

Creatures:10
4 Chub Toad
3 Tarmogoyf
3 Trinket Mage

Noncreature Spells:29
4 Force of Will
4 Brainstorm
4 Stifle
4 Standstill
3 Counterbalance
3 Daze
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Krosan Grip
1 Trickbind

Sideboard:15
3 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Firespout
2 Vexing Shusher
1 Pithing Needle
1 Krosan Grip

Anyways at about 1:30 Kevin announces that the tournament is about to begin and the pairings go up.
Round 1: I'm sorry I forgot your name (SI)
I win the die roll, 1-0-0
Game 1: I keep a solid hand with 2 Lands a Brainstorm, top, force, daze, stifle and start with Island, Top pass. He goes swamp pass. I topdeck counterbalance and then standstill the next turn. He breaks my counterbalance with a Shield Sphere and I realize what he is playing I draw FOW, FOW, Daze off of Standstill. He tries to combo and it doesn't go well for him. Chubb comes down next turn and thats all.
Sideboarding: -2 Krosan Grip +2 Tormod's Crypt
Game 2: I get a standstill down turn 2 and beat with factory's while we both sculpt our hands. I end up breaking the standstill and drop CB/T with a trickbind and 2 stifles in hand and 3 mana open. He attempts to combo again and fails I kill him with Factories.
1-0-0

Round 2: Jared Lees (Unregged) Dragon Stompy
I win the die roll 2-0-0
Game 1: I play island Pass and he plays chalice @1 I force it and he passes. I drop a turn 2 Chubb and he Scoops.
Sideboarding: -3 Counterbalance, -2 Daze, -1 Sensei's Divining Top, +3 Blue Elemental Blast, +2 Firespout, +1 Pithing Needle
Game 2: He opens with Chalice @1 and I play Island, E.E. for 0, pass. He tries to get out turn 2 Dragon and I force. My turn is Trop, Chubb pass. He plays Arc-Slogger and Passes. My turn is pop E.E. BEB his slogger and swing with goyf. He plays another chalice at 1 and then morph's Gathan Raiders. I topdeck E.E. and uses it to kill his raiders and chalice. I then beat in a few more times for the win while he draws lands, Moxes and Seething Songs.
2-0-0
Round 3: Bryan (F_N_Bryan) with Rgb Goyf Sligh
I win the die roll 3-0-0
Game 1: I drop an Early Chubb + Ashnod's Transmogrant, and he kills it with Tin-Street. I then assemble CB/T and beat in with a pair of Goyfs.
Sideboarding: -2 Krosan Grip, -1 Chub Toad +3 BEB
Game 2: He just burns me out and keeps swinging with Chubb.
Game 3 I get in with a turn 2 Chubb putting him at 7 (He fetched). Then he topdecks a Tin-Street and kills my Chubb with it somehow. I Assemble CB/T but he drops Vexing Shusher. He then swing for 4 like 4 times and I brainstorm into a pair of Goyfs. I drop the goyfs and pass he passes back and we play play draw go for a while eventually he sneaks a Fireblast through after making it uncounterable 3 times in response to 2 FOW's and CB. Oh well Shusher is a dick.
2-1-0
Round 4: Steve (Unregged?) With RGB Aggro Loam
I win the die Roll 4-0-0
Game 1: I get him down to 2 life with a Chubb and a Factory then he drops a Chubb of his own and a Countryside Crusher. I then Play Chubb Counterbalance and Pass. He plays another Chubb of his own and I flip over Daze with Counter balance and it counters the Chubb for some reason, I swing with the team and his life hits 0.
Sideboarding:-3 Daze +3 Tormod's Crypt
Game 2: He Starts with Mox Diamond, Mox Diamond, Land, Chalice @ 1. I go Land pass. he then cycles a few lands and plays LFTL. On my turn I go E.E. For zero blow it and he plays land Goyf. I then Drop a Crypt and Crypt him and then a Chubb and it goes the distance.
3-1-0
Round 5: Ben (Force_Of_Will) RGBSA
I win the die roll 5-0-0
Game 1: I deny him mana by stifling fetches, wasting lands, and Dazing Birds I eventually get a Counterbalance down while he gets survival, He tries to play E-Witness and I blind rape it with a topdeck K-Grip. I then grip his Survival on my turn. Then on my next turn I drop 2 Chubbs and Win.
Sideboarding: -1 Chub Toad, -1 Trinket Mage,+1 Pithing Needle, +1 Tormod's Crypt
Game 2: He plays land birds and passes. I play turn 1 Needle on Survival. He then attempts to play Tarmogoyf and I force. I play Counterbalance and pass. He plays land and passes. I topdeck top and from there lock him out of everything he plays including 2 Eternal Witnesses, Indrick Stomphowler, and Genesis. Eventually Factories and a Trinket Mage get there.
4-1-0
Round 6:
No die roll 5-0-1
I ID with the Merfolk guy.

Top 8: Trevor (GetsickandDie) Affinity
I win the die Roll 6-0-1
Game 1: He mulls to five and I mull to six. I lead with a top and pass. He plays a land a Thopter. I then drop a goyf and he follows suit. I then make some play error involving E.E. and he plays cranial plating and Equips it to Thopter. I then drop a Chubb and just barely win the race.
Sideboarding: -2 Daze +1 Pithing Needle +1 Krosan Grip
Game 2: I keep a really solid hand for playing the landstill game but he opens with vial and my only counter was a daze. DOH! Anyways I get steamrolled in like 4-5 turns.
Game 3: I drop a turn 2 Chubb and he almost gets enough to chump with his field and live (while killing the Chubb) With Ravager and Tarmogoyf plus some 0cc artifacts but I topdeck Trinket Mage into Needle on Ravager making him not be able to kill the Chubb after sacking his board.
5-1-1
Top 4: Matt McNally playing Epic MS Paint
I win the die roll 7-0-1
Game 1: He grinds me out on turn 3.
Sideboarding: -1 Chub Toad, -3 Daze, -1 Trinket Mage, -1 Stifle +1 Pithing Needle, +2 Firespout, +3 REB
Game 2: He just out card advantages me with Bob and thoughtseize's my FOW realizing I can't deal with combo with my current hand and he drops it and kills me.
5-2-1
3rd/4th: Andy (Maagler) Ichorid
No Die roll 7-0-2
We Split.
5-2-2
Anyways 6th at the end of Swiss 4th overall not a bad day.

I dont know why more people arent playing this deck. Even with all of my play mistakes and bad matchups I was still able to ride to victory on the back of the Chubb

Props: Chub Toad

Slops: Every card that isn't Chub Toad. Also, Burger King for getting my order wrong. Apparently you can't have it your way.

~monkey

thefreakaccident
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
OMG!!!

That is amazing!

J.V.
08-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Wow I've got to say your report Is much better than mine xSockmonkeyx:tongue:
You sir, are a great person.

Roman Candle
08-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Sideboarding: -1 Chub Toad

Explain plz. Why would you sideboard out the best card in the deck.

J.V.
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Explain plz. Why would you sideboard out the best card in the deck.

He is a merciful person?

xsockmonkeyx
08-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Clearly I am not merciful if Im rocking Chubstill. I actually boarded it out because I figured he'd be bringing in his Frogtossers, and that was just too much chubhate to rely completely on the Chubb. In hindsight it was a mistake, but I still stand by my failure. And I would do it again.

The Rack
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
SockMonkey: How is the DreadStill matchup? Phyrexian Dreadnought is almost good enough to stop the Chubb so is it a race or do you rely more on the pure amazingness of the Chubb?

I've started to test the deck and this is probably the best play I can have:

Player 1 plays Chub Toad
Player 1 Ok?
<System> Player Lost

Skeggi
08-20-2008, 03:49 AM
That pwned. I have some standstills lying around, so I might just transform my thresh into ChubStill. My only problem is getting a playset of Chubs. Anyone know a retailer that sells them for under $20 each? Ebay is completely sold out on them...

J.V.
08-24-2008, 02:54 AM
I had to go to Page 2 to find this.... for shame people, for shame.:cry:

robby
08-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I began replacing Akroma with Chub Toad in my Full English Breakfast deck... He is amazing. People just don't dare to block him (because of his gamewrecking ability), when i attack with my Shapeshifter, while Chub Toad is in graveyard. Then i just survival for Phage and win.
The great benefit over Akroma is, that he can easily be hard cast on turn 2 and sometimes make people scoop!

I think the play would be keep Akroma in to completment the toad. Drop Phage as your main kill and run Chub. Swing with a Volrathed Akroma, before damage Chub FTW. I'm still new to the archatype but this seems a more efficient way of winning. Don't forget Phage can be Soul Reaped.

xsockmonkeyx
08-24-2008, 12:05 PM
SockMonkey: How is the DreadStill matchup? Phyrexian Dreadnought is almost good enough to stop the Chubb so is it a race or do you rely more on the pure amazingness of the Chubb?

The Dreadstill MU is a joke. The deck is largely a mirror match except instead of running an efficient beater like Chubb it runs a giant threat that you must invest at least two cards. TWO CARDS. That's like a combo or something. Also Naught dies to both the most prevalent creature removal in the format, AND the most prevalent Art/Ench removal. In addition, it gets owned by both EE and Deed, and often doesn't end the game by itself. In the rare occasion I've had to lose games to this deck, it was almost always due to Factory rather than Naught, which begs the question why bother in the first place? Wouldn't running Stifle-fueled Landstill be almost strictly better? Wouldn't running a 3 mana, 1 card, 1/1, Bushido: 2 be better than a 2-3 mana, 2 card 12/12? What if that extra card is a Stifle? Wouldn't you rather counter a Fetchland with it?

That pwned. I have some standstills lying around, so I might just transform my thresh into ChubStill. My only problem is getting a playset of Chubs. Anyone know a retailer that sells them for under $20 each? Ebay is completely sold out on them...

You think that's bad, try completing a playset of German Chubb. I think my Stachelkrote might be the last one left that isnt tucked away safely in a safe deposit box. I mean, if they aren't out there then how the hell am I going to keep up with my obsession to have slightly cooler cards than my opponent? Without a completely pimped out deck how else am I supposed to make up for my lack of self esteem and prove my obvious superiority? Life just isnt fair.

deviant
08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, I took Bryant's most recent TES-list (from Hadley), and took it to the next level. May I present to You; The Chub Storm:
(or The Epic Chub, if you wish)

4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
1 Undiscovered Paradise
1 Forbidden Orchard
4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Slithermuse
4 Brainstorm
3 Chrome Mox
1 Diminishing Returns
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Lotus Petal
3 Orim's Chant
3 Ponder
4 Rite of Flame
4 Dark Ritual
3 Thoughtseize
4 Living Wish
3 Chub Toad
SB:
1 Chub Toad
4 Vexing Shusher
10 empty slots (not needed in the current metagame)

Basically I removed Tendrils and Empty to make room for Chub Toads, since they are a much better kill-condition. Then I took out a Chant, because Chub Toads are simply THAT resilient.
Then I replaced the rather ineffective Burning Wishes with Living Wishes, which makes my virtual md Chub Toad count SEVEN!!1! Now that's absurd!

Think about it: a Chub Toad on turn 2 makes you crap your pants, no? Now this deck can lay down FOUR Chub Toads on turn ONE!
Go figure.

Anyway, I took it to a local tournament and here's a brief run-through of the matches:

1st Round: Dragon Stompy

Now I accidentally flip a Diminishing Returns while shuffling and he thinks he knows what he is playing against. He is a gentleman and shows me an Arc-Slogger in return. I briefly think of flashing my toad at him, but that would just spoil the surprise.
I proceed lose the die roll.
He starts with Tomb, SSG, Song, Song,Cotv=0, CotV=1 and CotV=2. He then burns for 1.
Such a lucksack, my hand would have been able to produce at least THREE Chubs turn 1! Well, whatever. I take my turn and just make my landdrop.
He does not play anything for ages (he emptied his hand on his 1st turn and chalice-aggro tends to Seppuku a lot on topdeck-mode) and I just hardcast a Chub Toad on turns 3 & 4.
He has no hope of racing them even though he gets down a Pit-Dragon and a Slogger soon after that.
I don't sideboard, and he doesn't seem to know how he should.

The second game is a lot easier, he mulls to six and starts with mountain-go.
I don't mull, and I go: City, Ritual, Ritual, Petal, LED, rfg SSG, crack Petal for U, evoke Slithermuse to draw six, in response crack LED for UUU, floating UUURBB. I draw the NutZ (including D.Returns) and proceed to slam down The Chub Quadruple!
He was never in this game.

2nd Round: TES

1st game I just go for the Chub straight on, and even though I only get two down (which in this mu might not be enough) they do make my opponent confused enough to fizzle his combo. Chubs got there.

2nd game he starts with a 'Seize, taking my Chub, which sucks. We 'Seize each other a few times, and some chants fly there somewhere also. He then tries to go for the broke and comboes 8 goblins on the table. I just proceed to hardcast a Chub Toad, and another (from the top), and this becomes a standstill. He only has 7 life though, so things are looking good for me (3xthoughtseize + infernal contract mid-combo). It doesn't take long before I draw a Living wish for the 3rd Chub and he scoops 'em up.

3rd Round: Ugb-Thresh

Now my Chubs are a little over CB-curve, so I think this mu is a little better for me than it is for the normal TES, but I don't know for sure since I've never played it. Yes, you read it right: never played it - he just scooped because he thought this mu is hopeless for him. He had seen me play the previous round and instead of getting Chubbed, he decided to get lunch.

4th Round: Chubstill

Oh fuck! I guess this is what you get when you 3-0. If I had known there was a Chubstill-player going to go 3-0 I would have ID'd with the Thresh-player in hopes of avoiding this mu! Well, not much to do here: I offer him a draw, a 60-40 split for him and the right to name my first son but he promptly refuses as he should.
1st game I get a semi-broken hand and he doesn't have the force. I get down 2 Chubs, but this is where my gas runs out. I get to beat with my Chubs a few turns, but then he plays a Chub Toad of his own. "No worries, I think, I have the Chub-advantage". Wrong, he blocks my other Chub Toad with his, and the STIFLES MY CHUB TOAD TRIGGER! The bastard. I can't start holding back now, and he stifles the other Chub too. His Chub went the distance.

In the second game he just countered everything I tried to play, landed a Chub, then a Standstill, and then drew THREE CHUBS from the standstill. He showed me these Chubs and I just scooped 'em up. Not a change here.

Conclusions: The deck was very strong, and chub is clearly broken. The only time I was even remotely worried was when there were toads in the other side of the table. The 10 empty slots I have in my sb should probably be used to shore-up the Chubstill-mu, but then again - why try so hard to beat the best deck, when you can just play it?

Well, I still got a playset of Tarmogoyfs, which is quite a good price for a 4 round tournament, but I'm still a little dissapointed - the winner got 4 test-print FOIL CHUB TOADS! Have you got any idea how expensive those are? Even I didn't even know they existed.

Anyway, thanks for everyone at the thread for pointing out the brokenness of chub - keep on the good work!

Skeggi
08-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Nice report, I do think your sideboard needs improvement. Obviously your worst enemy is another deck playing The Chubb. So you should place 4 Stifles in your sideboard. Being able to counter The Chubb's broken ability seems to be the way to go. The Epic Chub will soon be in the DTB forum!

J.V.
09-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I've been working on a new deck:Chub-Aluren take a look:
Lands:21
4x Wooded Foothills
3x Polluted Delta
1x Windswept Heath
3x Tropical Island
2x Bayou
2x Taiga
1x Volcanic Island
3x Forest
2x Island

Creatures:19
4x Chub Toad
4x Wall of Roots
2x Wall of Blossoms
2x Eternal Witness
1x Dream Stalker
1x Omnibian
1x Raven Familiar
1x Ghitu Slinger
1x Man-o-War
1x Cavern Harpy
1x Spike Feede

Noncreature Spells:20
4x Aluren
4x Brainstorm
4x Force of Will
3x Cabal Therapy
3x Intuition
2x Chain of Vapor

Sideboard:15
4 Extirpate
3 Krosan Grip
3 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Pernicious Deed
2 Divert

HammafistRoob
09-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Needs more frogs. But then again, what in this world doesn't need more frogs?

For shame, every Chubbstill needs at least one copy of Omnibian. It's in the MTG RULEBOOK!!!!11!!!one1!!one

J.V.
09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
your right, fixed.

troopatroop
09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Omg. Anurid Brushhopper. Overrun.

4 Chub Toad
4 Anurid Brushhopper
4 Bloated Toad
3 Anurid Barkripper
4 Spore Frog

4 Overrun
4 Glorious Anthem
4 Shared Triumph
2 Crusade
1 Coat of Arms
1 Mirari's Wake

4 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath
3 Ancient Tomb
2 Plains
8 Forest
4 ESG

Overrun is probably the best thing to happen to frogs since Chub Toad.

thefreakaccident
09-03-2008, 11:40 PM
:eek:

Skeggi
09-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Overrun is probably the best thing to happen to frogs since Chub Toad.

It paints a nice picture in my head. Trampling giant frogs. Lovely. This kind of stuff inspires for great movies.

xsockmonkeyx
09-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Well, September 1st has come and past and no banning so I guess that means at least 3 more months of this metachubb. After all the speculation this time around, and the utter domination in T8 lists around the world, you think wizards would finally get the message. Can you think of any other creature that warps the format more?

1)Its 3cc so it is impossible to Counterbalance because nobody runs 3cc cards, and it dodges chalice at 1, 2, and 7.
2)It blocks Lackey like a pro, and tackles Mongoose no problem, so your Goblins and Threshold matchups are through the roof.
3)It completely gets around Meekstone, meaning half of the field now has 4 dead slots in their board.
4)It counts as a frog so Engineered Plague is dead because, lets face it, nobody ever names frogs with plague. Have you ever seen someone name frogs? Thought not.
5)Reprisal? Pfft.

This means that if my opponents have any of the above cards in their deck, then there might be a slight chance that my cards will give me a nominal advantage, virtually guaranteeing victory. This makes playing Chubb almost automatic. Why would you want to put any thought into what you are doing, and actually play something good, when you can just throw 4 Chub Toad into any random deck and beat face?

But maybe its not all bad. Chubb had become one of those format defining cards, like Rysorian Badger in Vintage, and it would be hard to imagine a legacy metagame without Chub Toad setting the curve. It's a brave new world, folks. I, for one, welcome our new amphibian overlord. Besides, changing things would actually take some effort, so screw that.

Skeggi
09-04-2008, 02:54 AM
1)Its 3cc so it is impossible to Counterbalance because nobody runs 3cc cards, and it dodges chalice at 1, 2, and 7.

Yeah I often set my Chalice@7 because of Arkroma's Memorial. I always hate it when the opponent then sneaks in a Chubb. Sometimes I set Chalice@16; incase Nourishing Lich comes by and tries to hardcast an Autochton Worm...The Chubb also dodges that one!

But maybe its not all bad. Chubb had become one of those format defining cards, like Rysorian Badger in Vintage, and it would be hard to imagine a legacy metagame without Chub Toad setting the curve.

ChubbStompy has driven the stompy lands to insane prices. People seek refuge in Crystal Vein. Sometimes it looks like the whole world is going crazy, all because of The Chubb. Can anyone really remember what it was like before this precious gem was discovered?

J.V.
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah I often set my Chalice@7 because of Arkroma's Memorial. I always hate it when the opponent then sneaks in a Chubb. Sometimes I set Chalice@16; incase Nourishing Lich comes by and tries to hardcast an Autochton Worm...The Chubb also dodges that one!

ChubbStompy has driven the stompy lands to insane prices. People seek refuge in Crystal Vein. Sometimes it looks like the whole world is going crazy, all because of The Chubb. Can anyone really remember what it was like before this precious gem was discovered?
Yes it was a day in which Roodmistah and Myself where digging through his box of every cards in magic (no joke there are Loti in there) and we came across a card that we knew would change the face of magic forever.

Skeggi
09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
I meant what the meta was like...before...y'know... Not who discovered It or how :tongue:

Edit: had to spell 'it' with a capital I because it's a reference to The Chubb.

J.V.
09-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I meant what the meta was like...before...y'know... Not who discovered It or how :tongue:

Edit: had to spell 'it' with a capital I because it's a reference to The Chubb.

Well the meta was slow and boring obviously, Goblins was the "Speedy" deck of the meta...:rolleyes: Also you didn't have people cowering in fear at the dropping of a card. [Except in that T1 side no proxy side event at a tournament When Hammafistroob was playing Goblins and Hardcasted a Hammerfist Giant ftw]

Michael Keller
09-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I've got a Chubby going...

...Toad, that is! It's coming to Hadley. The bastard Toad of a hundred maniacs is ready to take it all down!

Rood
09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
LOL oh mah god dude I hope you seriously go undefeated.

deviant
09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Why is this deck still in N&D?

Also, I heard a rumor they are printing artifact frogs in Alara. :eek:

Did they not learn from the brokenness of The Chub? :rolleyes:

GGoober
09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Since we have been all amazed and discussing of the game-breaking play of Chub toad, i went ahead with the theory that a deck that maximizes its ability to search out chub toad has to be the strongest deck in Legacy yet. So here's my list. I present you:

44Chubs.dec
Who said you couldn't play 44 Chubs?

Lands: 16
4 Mutavaults
4 Windswept Heath
4 Bayou
4 Savannah

Creatures: 7
4 Spore Frog
3 Chub Toad

Searching for chub Toad: 37
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Sylvan Tutor
4 Worldly Tutor
4 Eladamri's Call
4 Chord of Calling
4 Bifurcate
4 Pattern of Rebirth
4 Living Wish
3 Assembly Hall
2 Tooth and Nail

Sideboard:
4 Defense of the Heart
1 Chub Toad
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Tarmogoyf

Deck explanations:
1. Chub = Epic win. No one denys the fact that a Chub Toad signals the win of a game. The only reason you would lose if he comes out is if you really don't know how to play MTG or that you were facing the mirror. Since Chubs are beginning to appear more frequently in the meta, we need a deck that is chub-resilient and chub-consistent. I run 3 chubs, but as you can see, there's a potential 37+3 = 40 chubs for the 40 cards that I draw in my 60 card deck. That means I have a guaranteed average of 3-4 chubs in every hand I play!
2. 4 Spore frogs: To stall the game for 3 turns if your opponent happens to play turn 1 Ancient Tomb + Elvish Spirit Guide into a chub. This allows you to stall until you get your chub out.
3. 4 Mutavaults: see point 2.
4. The manabase is consistent, as the deck requires only green. This deck needs a white splash to enable a wicked end of turn 2 eladamri's Call into a Chub on turn 3 with almost 100% consistency.

The searches are obvious:
-4 Summoner's Pact: Why pay for the upkeep cost when you can win the game if chub comes out? Definitely a 4-of. The instant speed and low cost helps enable wicked turn 0 wins.
-4 Sylvan Tutor and 4 Worldly Tutor: they work the same way if you don't have a turn one play with Spore frog.
-4 Eladamri's call: perhaps the best creature tutor in MTG
-4 Living Wish: Self explanatory, as seen in many Chub.dec that run a potential 7 chubs with this card.
-4 Chord of Calling: For the late game tutor when you're chub-stalled, or chub-stilled.
-4 Bifurcate: the most broken card in the deck in my opinion. Searching out a second chub when that lone chub is raping your opponent's face? And read the card: bifurcate puts the chub into PLAY. You get one more chub than your opponent. There's no way you can lose now.
-4 Pattern of Rebirth: This is the heart of the deck. it's a secret tech developed by Stephen Menedian and me when we're debating on how to exploit the gifts of Spore Frog. Enchant Spore frog with Rebirth, and sac at instant speed to tutor out a chub into play. It's a must counter for your opponents, and gives you a better and more unexpected win condition. Best MTG tech ever developed in the last 20 years!
-3 Assembly Hall: This is a less used card. but seriously. If you're faced with heavy chub mirros or heavy discard/control. Asembly Hall makes the late game better. It also allows you to search out 3 chubs and play them consecutively. Some may just put this in the side board. Personally, I think a 5cc artifact with a 4cc activation cost to find a card that has the same name in your hand is one of the better artifacts in MTG. Clearly beats the card advantage in Sensei's top.
-2 Tooth and Nail: Now we're talking. All these cards above only searches or plays chub one at a time. There's always a risk that you lose a chub to another chub (if your opponents dared to block the chub that is!) But Tooth and Nail allows you to put 2 chubs out in one moment of time, making it one of the most intimidating plays ever.

In summary, I've developed this deck, to exploit the power of the broken chub. Chub should have been banned. I don't understand why they banned Flash in Legacy and failed to see how powerful this godly creature does. It's warping the format and it's unhealthy to see decks splash him. He's so easy to splash and his combat tricks confuses so many people, allowing him to sneak in easy wins all by himself. Therefore this deck is developed with the theory that finding and putting chubs in play is the way to win any Legacy tourney.

The deck is in its initial stages. Please comment ^^

xsockmonkeyx
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
God, that's so broken. Im selling off all my other Magic cards now while they still have value. Seriously ppl, the sky is falling.

deviant
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
That deck is da broken shit.

Seriously, 3-4 Chubs in average hand?!?!

I cannot recover from the awesomeness of this deck.

Ps. I'll let you guys in on the next level of Chubbiness:
Since Chub is starting to seriously warp the format, and different variations of Chub-mirror are getting increasingly common, I've developed the Next Level Chub.

I do not want to reveal a decklist at this point, but I'll just let you know that it includes Vexing Shusher to help forcing the Chub through (some people think FoW is the best answer to a Chub, since when it landed - you lost), and then The Tech: Cranial Extraction !
You rfg the opponents Chubs, and then proceed to win trough pure Chub-advantage.
This will make the opponents total Chub-count only 4 (they obviously play Living Wish), and you should be able to easily handle that with your 20+ Chubs.

This is btw one of the reasons why you should never, ever drop Living Wishes, if you get Extracted yourself, it's your only hope of lucksacking a win.

May the Chub be with you.

xsockmonkeyx
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
The official Chubstill primer is out.

Behold. (http://teamfunk.apriestofgix.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=605#p605)

Van Phanel
10-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Actually Autochton Wurm dodges Chalice/16 as well.

Willoe
10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
But Draco doesn't. Dracoplosion's sideboarding plan consisting of

4 Dark Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Rite of Flame
3 Cabal Ritual

can't be used anymore. :/

adrieng
10-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I tryed crz'list and I was so impressed that I decided to test 10 games against old flash decks....
How disappointed I was chub deck won 7-3. Is it time to ban chub or to unban flash? I think we have to pm wizards to do something the format is more and more play chub or lose.

Rood
10-02-2008, 05:58 PM
On another Chub, I actually own a playset of the Chubb. But I'm too scared to use them all in the same deck because I actually do like losing a game every once in a while.

Isamaru
10-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I can't believe you guys aren't playing 4 Serum Powder too. It wasn't even mentioned in the primer?