PDA

View Full Version : Monoblue Mill Control - Aggro Transformation

xTrainx
07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
x20 Snow-Covered Islands - Need to change these...but having not played in a while...I'm not quite sure if there are any White/Blue Dual lands in order to splash some white merfolk in.

x4 Cursecatcher
x2 Drowner Initiate
x2 Merrow Whitsniper
x4 Grimoire Thief
x4 Ink Dissolver
x4 Silvergill Adept
x2 Wistful Selkie
x4 Drowner of Secrets
x3 Merrow Harbinger

x2 Counterspell - Would be 3x Force of Will or Shoal, and -1 Dissolver, but to way to get atm.
x1 Portent - would be Ancestral Vision, but no place to get them for cheap enough.
x1 Lat-Nam's Legacy - same as above
x4 Ponder
x4 Freed from the Real

Total: 61 cards

Sideboard:

x4 Lord of Atlantis
x4 Sunken City
x4 Unstable Mutation
x3 ?

-----

The deck mainly runs with this combo:
Grimoire Thief + Freed from the Real + Drowner of Secrets.

Tap Grimoire with Drowner, mill 4 essentially. Untap with Real and repeat.

That is my 30+ card mill combo, using Ink Blotter with a field of Wizards and Merfolk to get them down low enough.

Selkie and Silvergill are draw.

Counterspell stops them from hating on my Thief with Real or my Drowner.

Arcanis serves as deck rush to get all the mana I can and shoring up defenses with more creatures, likewise with Brainstorm and Ponder.

The Taskmages were taken out because their ineffectiveness with harrasment was realized by a ruling I uncovered. Heidar serves as creature control.

Propoganda is anti-aggro, as a rush has many weenies who don't cost much leaving an open void vs. 2 mana per attack. If they choose to play creatures they would find it hard to attack at the same time.

Sideboard transforms into an aggro which works well, dropping a 1/1 Merfolk, then Atlantis, then Sunken City and Unstable on the 1/1 leaving me with a 6/6 islandwalker, followed up by more 3/3 merfolk and eventually another Sunken city if the game takes that long. Works because they sideboard for anticontrol which in turn speeds their deck up OR slows it down to match my game which makes it easier prey to my aggro either way.

The only problem I still see is Shock or other 2/3 damage spells destroying my thief although I think what I really need is to test and see if the better draw helps me curb those losses.

Thanks for those who give input,

xTrainx

boris13
07-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Well first off you should only run 60 cards.

Second: You could use force of wills cause your playing blue.

Third: Proganda should be sideboarded cause your not going to always face aggro decks.

I really don't see you needing the sage of epityr due to ponders and brainstorms. He also doesn't help you with your goal much.

Good cards for the board to try are stifle good against combo decks.
Echoing truth is also not a bad card to have for aggro match ups.
But good luck I tried to make a type 2 deck like this almost, but it failed

xTrainx
07-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't really see how Force of Will helps me because it destroys my hand.

I know I have to slim down on the deck itself.

Sage of Epityr helps because I tend to need the Ponders and Brainstorms later in the game for shuffle and low amounts of draw if I can't find Arcanis. Epityr stacks the deck early game or stacks it after the shuffle of a Ponder.

Try Memory Sluice on mainboard or Merrow Commerce?

xTrainx
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry for doublepost, but deck has been edited.

Willoe
07-31-2008, 06:42 AM

I know I have to slim down on the deck itself.

Sage of Epityr helps because I tend to need the Ponders and Brainstorms later in the game for shuffle and low amounts of draw if I can't find Arcanis. Epityr stacks the deck early game or stacks it after the shuffle of a Ponder.

Try Memory Sluice on mainboard or Merrow Commerce?

Force of Will helps you win games. It is absolutely necessary, especially against combo. A turn 1 no thanks is really important. Really, it can actually give you card advantage, i.e. against dragon stompy: Ancient Tomb, Simian Spirit guide remove, Seething Song, Arc-Slogger. You have no counter and you lose a few turns thereafter. If you had had FoW, you'd delay him a lot.
I think I've pictured well enough the obvious reason to play FoW if you have at least 16 other blue cards in your deck as well to feed it. If you're running on budget, Disrupting Shoal and/or Foil can be used, but they're not as good.

I don't see the point of building a competitive, non-solidarity milling deck, sorry. It takes a long time to do, it creates card disadvantage (something you don't want with control), its milling engine isn't strong enough, it doesn't create extra effects and so on.

Unless this is a casual deck, you really should play monoblue control. Not to say your deck is bad, I've won and lost a bit with mill in Legacy, but monoblue control is far better.

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10052&highlight=%5BDeck%5D+MUC

Skeggi
07-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Drop Arcanis, he's too slow.

xTrainx
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Okay, so I need more draw in the deck, and more shuffle abilities...

Wistful Selkie as a draw?
4 Ponder?
Ancestral Vision in the future, although expensive.
Silvergill Adept as well, fits in with the Aggro game.
Memory Sluice for more mill, or rely on combo?

Deck edited.

Radley
11-15-2008, 11:01 PM
how about adding the counterbalance+sensei's divining top tech? + top and ink dissolver works well. i'd add rootwater thief as well because it can ruin combo decks in early turns. FoW is a must. add propaganda and don't go aggro. don't know how the list would go though.

Bardo
11-15-2008, 11:15 PM

Moved to casual.