PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Nourishing Lichantress takes 1st @Italian Nationals

GreenOne
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
The event was hosted @Nationals in Italy held in Rimini (Federico Fellini's home town). There were something like 92 partecipants (can't recall) and 7 turn of swiss with cut to top 8.
The deck I wanted to bring out was a combo deck designed by Cavious the Great with just some minor changes like 8 enchantresses effects (I hear Lich and Nefarious Lich are enchantments..). You sure have heard of the original version, expecially if you're German. Well, I wasn't able to find all the Liches, so I switched the deck at the last second.

This is what I played in the end:

Deck: Enchantress
Creator: Zach Tartell (don't know if it's the deck's creator, but that's what I wrote on the decklist. I also love this guy for his awesomeness.)

Mana:
4 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
9 Forest
2 Serra's Sanctum
1 Taiga
3 Savannah

Draw:

4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Enchantress's Presence

Mana:
4 Wild Growth
4 Utopia Sprawl

Control:
4 Elephant Grass
2 Solitary Confinament
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Ground Seal
1 Moat
1 Seal of Primordium
1 Runed Halo

Protection:
4 Sterling Grove
1 Karmic Justice
2 Replenish

Finishers:
1 Hoofprints of the Stag
1 Sacred Mesa
1 Words of War

SB:
1 Circle of Protection: Red
2 Groud Seal
2 Choke
1 City of Solitude
1 Runed Halo
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Karmic Justice
3 Aura of Silence
1 Dovescape
1 Sacred Ground

I'm sorry guys, but I didn't write your names. I'll correct the report if you post something here.

Round 1 Vs UW Landstill
G1: I keep a solid hand and proceed to drop an enchantress on turn 2 with him sitting on an Island. He brainstorms but doesn't counter. I draw a lot of cards dropping another enchantress and a presence. He EE for 2 destroying both my enchantresses, but I win on the power of recurring pegasus tokens.
SB: -1 Runed Halo, -1 Confinament, -1 Oblivion RIng, -4 Elephant Grass, +2 Choke, +1 City of Solitude, +2 Karmic Justice, +1 Dovescape, +1 Aura of silence.

G2: He starts beating from turn 2 with a factory. Another factory joins the party while I'm stuck on 2 lands. I draw a third land but it's too late.
G3: I'm fearing this is going to time, so I start playing quicker. Moat stops his factories and Meddling Mage, while I have time to tutor for Sacred mesa and make a couple of tokens a turn. At some point he has to EE the tokens, but i recover quite fast and kill him.

1-0

Round 2 vs G/B The Rock
G1: He starts with thoughtseize on enchantress, then drop a confidant, a Deed, and proceed to win from here.

SB: +2 Karmic Justice, +1 Oblivion Ring, -1 Runed Halo, -2 Ground Seal (didn't see any Witness)

G2: He starts with fetch and thoughtseize, taking my Enchantress. He then drop confidant and reveal double shriekmaw. I hide under a confinament (no enchantress in play) and then under a moat. He dies from confidant losses. Are you sure you want greatness, at ANY cost?
G3: I drop an Enchantress and a karmic justice, followed by Sterling Grove. He discards me some cards, but the enchantress let me recover. He has to break his deed, I 'geddon him and replenish FTW.

2-0

Round 3 vs kikkofrio with Eva Green
G1: He starts with thoughtseize, but I eventually find a moat and a sterling grove. By the time he finds a flier I have an enchantress and quickly Confinamet lock him.
SB: -2 Ground Seal, +1 Karmic Justice, +1 Oblivion Ring.

G2: Turn 1 thoughtseize, turn 2 Thoughtseize and Tombstalker. I lose quickly.
G3: He goes Turn 1 Ritual into Thoughtseize+Hymn, Turn 2 Goyf, Turn 3 Hippy, turn 4 Goyf. Meanwhile i go Turn 1 Land+Aura, turn 2 sterling grove, turn 3 O. Ring on Tarmo, Turn 4 Runed Halo on Hippy, Turn 5 Moat. In some time i draw an enchantress and then a sacred mesa. It's downhill from here for him.

3-0

Round 4 vs UWB homebrew.
His deck featured 0 FoW/Daze, E. Tutor, Confidant, Trinket Mage, Tombstalker, Exalted Angel, EE, thoughtseize and other goodness. Strange deck.
G1: I quickly drop some enchantresses and a confinament. He EE for 3 but i replenish.

SB: -2 Ground Seal, -1 Runed Halo +2 Karmic Justice +1 O.Ring.

G2: I Confinament lock him while I'm at 2 Life. I know he can break EE for 3 and with Karmic Justice's ability on stack, kill me with a cursed scroll. However, this whould take him another turn. In my turn I put him at 4 life with WoW and he wins. Frowntown.
G3: On G2 he showed me the E.Tutors, so siding in some Auras of silence should be tech, but it's already late on the round and opt for losing less time. The games goes quicly on my side, but turns are called. I win on the last additional turn on the power of WoW + Sanctum + 4 Enchantresses. WOW!

4-0

Round 5 vs Mustapha Kanhid (spelling?) with Ichorid.
I know this guy from my home city, we decide to draw and take some food action. After a while the judge calls us to the judge station. They suspected me of corruption on Mustapha (WTF?). Apparently someone decided to tell the judges I offered him price split or something for drawing with me. Bah..

4-0-1

Round 6 vs Monogreen Natural Order (sort of secret force)
G1: He plays a Krosan Grip (MD) on my enchantress, but I have another and win quickly.
G2: At some point I made a big mistake. He has a Crucible (??) out with a wasteland and cradle in play. He taps his cradle, than waste it to replay it. At this point I forgot to sac my Seal of Primordium on the Crucible and manascrew him. However, I win the game on the power of Moat+Sterling Grove.

5-0-1

Round 7 Vs Burn
ID

5-0-2

On the Top 8
QuarterFinals vs RW Gobbos.
G1: I mull to 5 and keep a busted hand of Fetch, Utopia, Argothian, Sterling Grove, Elephant Grass. He doesn't draw a Richadan port and beats me to 9. He plays a Lightning Crafter (nice tech) and bring me to 6, but in a turn I'm under Confinament Lock. He scoops.

SB: -1 Hoofprints of he stag +1 Circle of protection: RED

G2: I take 4 dmg then drop a Sterling Grove + Elephant Grass and wait for my 2nd white mana. I draw an enchantress, and drop a moat a turn later. I'm at 10 life or so. Leave no trace + disenchant still < Sterling Grove. I confinament lock him with 2x Sterling grove, drop a win condition and he scoops.

Semifinals vs Geddon Stax
G1: I start with Land + aura. He plays a Factory and pass. I play a sterling grove and pass. He plays Plains and attack. I put him on White Stax and sac the Grove for Karmic Justice. I take some points of dmg from Magus of the Tabernacle while i draw cards with enchantresses and drop a Hoofprints. A turn later he 'Geddon (I wipe his board) and beat face with a couple 4/4 eementals.

SB: -1 Confinament, -4 Elephant Grass, -1 Runed Halo, -2 Ground Seal. +1 Sacred Ground, +1 Dovescape, +2 Karmic Justice, +3 Aura of Silence, +1 Oblivion Ring.

G2: He has a busted draw and goes Turn 1 Chalice @1, turn 2 Chalice@2, Turn 3 Crucible, turn 4 Geddon. GG.
G3: He mulls to 6.
Me: Land, Aura, go.
Him: Land, go
Me: Land, Sterling Grove, Aura, go.
Him: land, Chalice@1, go.
Me: Break sterling grove, play Sacred Ground, Land, go.
Him: Land, Trini, Go.
Me: Enchantress, Aura of silence, go.
Him: land, go.
Me: Aura of Silence, Karmic Justice, go.

It just took some turns to win with words of war.

Finals vs the guy on round 7, playing burn.
He has to take a train and asks me to split. He concedes the game and take home 4xTundras+4xVolcanic. He gives me 40€ to leave me with the second prize, 4x Goyf.

If I had to play the deck today I'd make the following changes:
MD:
-1 Runed Halo
+1 Moat

SB:
-1 Runed Halo
-1 City of Solitude
+1 Sacred Ground
+1 Replenish
-2 Ground Seal
+2 Wheel of Sun and Moon (didn't find it)

Runad halo is underimpressive against non-combo decks. And there was 0 combo (except Ichorid and Breakfast) in the tables. EDIT: there were 3 TES apparently.
I wasn't able to find a second Moat at a reasonable price, but if I did, I'd play it any day.

Props:
- Lonelybaritone, for his awesomeness.
- Enchantress, for being totally untested in testing gauntlets.
- Moat, for being a gem. A fucking costy gem.

Slops:
- 0 counterbalance on my matchups and I didn't bring storm combo to the field.
- Runed Halo, For not being a beating like expected.
- David Gearhart. He was so awesome I even got High Tides signed by him. Then he built a stupid control deck. You suck.
- The guy that suggested the judges I was cheating and I wasn't. Props to him if I was, but I wasn't so fuck you.

Deep6er
08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I tell you what, somehow get rid of ALL the Counterbalances, and I'll go back to playing Solidarity. Deal?

deviant
08-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Great report and congrats for winning!
Also; wtf, enchantress.. wins?

I seriously have to reconsider my opinion on the deck.
( I've considered it a casual pile.. correct me if my first impression was the right one :D )

Anyway, good to see Nourishing Lich dominate. I'm taking a lorwyn block modification of the deck to the PTQ's, so this encourages me a little.

Ps. "Gearhart sucks these days" seconded. I mean, of all cards, he's playing counterbalances!

EDIT EDIT EDIT::: Look all!! Look what he replied while I was writing this! Look Ma!

SpatulaOfTheAges
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Creator: Zach Tartell (don't know if it's the deck's creator, but that's what I wrote on the decklist. I also love this guy for his awesomeness.)

*headbutts Italy*

Deep6er
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey, a wise man once said, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, make them think you're on their side, and then double-cross them". Seems like pretty good logic to me.

Zach Tartell
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
<3no homo

HammafistRoob
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
The baby blue suggests differently.

jazzykat
08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Congratulations and this was hillarious: "G2: He starts with fetch and thoughtseize, taking my Enchantress. He then drop confidant and reveal double shriekmaw. I hide under a confinament (no enchantress in play) and then under a moat. He dies from confidant losses. Are you sure you want greatness, at ANY cost?"

xsockmonkeyx
08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
*headbutts Italy*

Srsly. Zach is awesome and everything but WTF.

The baby blue suggests differently.

Pffft. Baby blue basically boils down to being on Nightmare's buddy list. There are so many people who should/shouldnt be that color its nearly meaningless.

Nightmare
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
*headbutts Italy*

The Rodney Dangerfield of Legacy, ladies and gents.

HammafistRoob
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Pffft. Baby blue basically boils down to being on Nightmare's buddy list. There are so many people who should/shouldnt be that color its nearly meaningless.
I meant he wrote no homo in baby blue....

Bryant Cook
08-05-2008, 01:33 PM

You kidding? Or Jealous?

Anyways, congratulations on your win.

Jeremy
08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Congrats @ you, Green

I was at that tournament. The UWB Homebrew was like the TrinketStalker control by Mori, who brought it at last worlds.

I brought moonthreshold to the tournament, and I found a couple of CounterTop decks, including a 4C landstill who owned me in G3 with Moat and the sided-in 1x Tombstalker. Very sad stories, including 2-0 loss to faerie.deck :cry:

Anyway, I saw many many dreadstills/4C landstill, a lots of burn decks, a couple of Cephalid Breakfast, at least 3 TES

Evagreen player should be kikkofrio here at the source (Pietro Froio)

Jegger dropped our car on friday evening, so he couldn't come.

xsockmonkeyx
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
You kidding? Or Jealous?

Nope.

GreenOne
08-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Evagreen player should be kikkofrio here at the source (Pietro Froio)

Did he have an hilarious straw hat?

Nightmare
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Sweet. I haven't been in an internet fight in weeks. Moved to PMs.

kikkofrio
09-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Did he have an hilarious straw hat?

It wasn't me.

I played vs solidarity at turn 3 and never played vs enchantress.

rockout
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Grats on the finish.

First time I played against enchantress it was versus Mr. Tartell and had too many foreign language cards for me to have any idea what to counter. Me playing baseruption forcing a draw due to time for the win.