PDA

View Full Version : Ichorid Report from GenCon (13th place)

Parcher
08-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I wasn't going to bother with a report for this, but I want to clear up some misconceptions and reveal my new list. I mean how many Ichorid players have burned their opponent out from five? Or dealt lethal with an Eternal Witness? Read on to find out.

Zohar and I drove from Pittsburgh to Indy along with two others Wednesday night. I had decided to play Ichorid beforehand, and he stuck with his standard U/W/b Landstill build. Since I assumed there would be a great deal of randoms in these events, I wrongly assumed that graveyard hate would be everywhere. Thus, the list I ran in the two prelims.

4 Golgari Grave Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
3 Golgari Thug
4 Putrid Imp
4 Narcomoeba
4 Ichorid
1 Eternal Witness
1 Flame Kin Zealot

4 Breakthrough
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Bridge from Below
3 Unmask
3 Dread Return
2 Deep Analysis

4 Lions Eye Diamond
4 Polluted Delta
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Underground Sea
1 Tropical Island
3 Cephalid Coliseum

4 Chain of Vapor
4 Pithing Needle
4 Reverent Silence
2 Darkblast
1 Bayou

I didn't see a Leyline at all in either prelim, but there was a good deal of Enchantress. The field was so random though, it was incorrect to have such a focused sideboard. To give you an idea, the top two decks in the second prelim were Tombstone and Mossnought.:confused:

I ended 1-2 in the first, and 4-2 in the second. Luckily Zohar won the first, and Smelski won the second prelim, even after switching decks with Raider Bob.

I decided to switch to a more generic build for the Champs, though with some new twists. I'll get into those later. For ease of writing, I am going to supplant a first or second turn win uninterrupted with a :smile: .

4 Golgari Grave Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
3 Golgari Thug
4 Putrid Imp
4 Narcomoeba
4 Ichorid
1 Eternal Witness
1 Flame Kin Zealot

4 Breakthrough
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Bridge from Below
3 Unmask
3 Dread Return
2 Deep Analysis

4 Lions Eye Diamond
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Cephalid Coliseum

4 Chain of Vapor
4 Pithing Needle
3 Firestorm
3 Wax/Wane
1 Unmask

Match One: Jason Keenan (Sui Black)

Game One: :smile:

Game Two: I suspected Leyline since he was running old-school Sui with Sarco and Carno, and was correct. Unfortunately he followed it with a first-turn Duress to nab my Chain. A Firestorm nailed two Sarcomancy tokens to knock him down to three before I died with Leyline still in play.

Game Three: He mulls to six, and opens with double Leyline. I was never in it.

0-1; 1-2

Match Two: Tim Hanoy (Vial Horror)

Game One: He plays Swamp go. I play land, Putrid Imp. He plays Hunted Horror (after seeing Imp?!) giving me two dudes. Yeah, I win next turn.

Game Two: :smile:

1-1; 3-2

Match Three: Mitchell Gardner (Aggro Loam)

To put some more content into this, Mitch was with a contingent of Canadian Eternal plaers who drove twenty-eight hours to GenCon. They were all amazingly cool, and dominated the Vintage side events. Aggro Loam simply can't win game one. They also shouldn't run Leyline, as they cannot afford to mull to it. To make things annoying, I did face leyline in my first three matches after pulling Reverent Silence. I guess it was never needed.

2-1; 5-2

Match Four: Cole Lane (Goblins)

Game Two: He has turn one Lackey into Siege-Gang. I mulled to four. He wins on turn four. I did have a Firestorm, but I saved it as a surprise since I wasn't likely to win this one.

Game Three: He has Lackey into Matron getting Fanatic. I Firestorm his board. Then things bog down for a while, me swinging with Ichorids when I can, and he preserving life and removing bridges. We finally come to the climax. He joins an on board Matron with double Warchief, but doesn't swing since I am at eight and have a Zombie. I remove two of my last three black creatures to animate Ichorids, and dredge my last, a Thug. My hand is full of dredgers since I burned all my Therapies a while ago I nail my last Bridge and a Narco while he is tapped out. Unfortunatley, he is at five, and has three blockers. Even though he can block everything and lose his squad while I still have two Zombies and a Narco, I can longer produce anything, and if he topdecks I'm dead with two cards left.

So I look for a while for a solution. I end up saccing the Narco and Ichorids to Dread Return Witness, Witness back Firestorm, and burn him out. Tee-hee.

3-1; 7-3

Match Five: Joe Alamo (Aggro Loam)

Game One: :smile: (tun one one the play)

4-1: 9-3

Match Six: Jeff Smelski (Landstill)

Game One: It had to happen eventually. Even though I fear Jeff, at least it's a good match up. As it turns, this was the consensus best match of the entire tournament, and I'm sure to miss a few details. I open with PImp turn one, which allows a Breakthrough on turn two. I don't get much action, and have to sac my PImp along with a Narco to empty his hand. The game continues for some time with me swinging when able. Jeff lands a Humility to slow me down, and multiple EE to kill tokens. Eventually I both empty his hand, and get enough creatures to DR a Troll. Jeff Plows it, but that gives me enough life to use my newly drawn Coliseum along with three Citys to hardcast DR on another. He runs out of answers, and I get in with a hardcast Stinkweed and two Ichorids while Troll is chumped.

Game Two: He gets turn one, but I open with Unmask+Therapy. My only gas though is LED+DA though, so he has time to FoF twice. To cut to the chase, I have Narcos, Ichorids, and occasionly some tokens. Jeff has Humility, EE, Runed Halo on Ichorid, and Runed Halo on Narco all on board. And is at nine. What do I do? Wait until he uses EE, then sac to DR Eternal Witness. I get Needle in case he gets a Crypt. He has two turns to draw the Wrath, and does EE my tokens. He then has another two turns to draw Wrath, Plow, DoJ, or Mishra's. Nope, Witness gets there.

5-1; 9-3

Game Seven: Mike Ames (Boros)

Game One: I'm worried about this since he runs enough burn to slow me and remove my Bridges, and runs Priest and Silver Knight for my SB tech. I win turn one on the draw.

6-1: 11-3

Here is where I get hosed. I expect tiebrakes to suck after losing round one. We check the standings though, and I have a good shot at eighth. Unfortunately, ninth place get paired down against a 5-1-1 with sick breakers. If I draw and he wins, I lose on tiebreaks. If the other guy wins, he leapfrogs me. Gotta play it out.

Match Eight; John Julifs (Dragon Stompy)

Game One: Fuck. I, of all people know how awful this match is. Luckily, my opponent was......not great. He opens with turn one Magus without giving an opportunity to mulligan. I then choose to keep hand with four dredgers on the draw. I combo out at four life on turn five.

Game Two: He again opens with turn one Magus on the play. I brought in Firestorm for this, but don't get one and get rolled.

Game Three: Or, as I like to call it, the worst luck I have ever had in a Magic game. I open with Land, Land, Therapy, LED, Bridge, Unmask, Needle. I keep figuring one dredger and I win. I take his only Red source (SSG), and Song in case he draws one. Two turns pass without hiim doing so, but no dredger for me. Then I topdeck Breakthrough and cast it hoping for one. Nope. Seven turns later, I die never having drawn one. Double fuck.

6-2; 12-5

Alas, I suppose it was not to be.

The field was heavy with Thresh, Goblins, and Aggro Loam, so the deck choice I feel was correct. A different matchup round one, or any kind of luck round eight, and I should have made it. The amount of random decks, and player from outside Legacy was completely expected at a GenCon tournament. Especially when most of the Vintage players passed on this one since their Champs was seperate and recent.

The list was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Ten games I won by turn two. Eternal Witness was the champion all day. In addition to to ability to get back castable SB cards against non-grave hate, it allowed two turn one wins where I double Breakthroughed. Also it allows LED recursion to pay for DA, or to bust through 3Sphere and Prison effects. Firestorm is in for random Aggro and creature rush decks. It is also an answer to Magus, Jailer, and an uncounterable discard outlet. Wax/Wane was simply for it's cost. Charm might be just as good, though I did save Brdges with the pump once. I have found that you have to have at least seven answers to Leyline, and Ray is too slow. Not only do you need two lands, which is difficult, but decks running Leyline also have a good chance to discard it before you do so.

Congrats to Jeff and Zo for winning the prelims, and to Blake for winning the whole shebang. I'll try and do better next time.

klaus
08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Congratz on the finish.
Sweet report.
Keep up the good work.
--
Klaus.

(PS: Why did you Dread-Return a Troll with Humility in play?_gotta be some error there.)

Jaynel
08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
That's a pretty sick list. Congrats on the finish; rough luck in that last match.

Klaus: GGT still gets the counters under Humility. So you get a 1/1 Troll with a bunch of counters on it AKA a very large dude.

Shriekmaw
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Congrads on the finish.

I wish you had a little better luck and made the top 8. Hopefully we will see you in a Legacy tournament soon, I always have fun playing against you.

I'm planning on getting down there next year and see what I can do in a large scale tournament like GenCon.

I did wish someone would of Top 8 with Affinity, that would of been f'ing sweet. Go Robots.

Tenant_Tron
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Eternal Witness and Firestorm seem like great additions, Witness can get back Breakthrough or LED -> DA and act as Sage like I think you mentioned and also do a lot more, good calls.

T.T

Volt
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM

AnwarA101
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I was really hoping you would make T8. It might draw attention to your build with maindeck Unmask and your super-secret tech of Eternal Witness. I really think Ichorid is too good not to play.

I'm just curious why did you decide to switch back to a more traditional build. Did you really want to run Firestorm? How good is it against Goblins? It seems really good answer for Fanatic.

Parcher
08-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Well first, there are two problems with Duals. First, you open yourself to Stifle, which will always happen if your opponent knows how badly they can wreck you with it. Second, it is rare, but color screw can happen.

And Firestorm is worth it, especially in that field. I thought it would be a "random Legacy field", where all the kiddies pack tons of graveyard hate. My first deck would have handled that nicely. Instead it was a pure "random" field full of jank, and creature rush. Sui, Elves, Boros, Dark Boros, etc. Firestorm beats that stuff much more easily. It also is just the tits against Goblins. Holding a Bridge, then sweeping their team and getting it in your yard is a win. So it waiting until they have a Fanatic to Vial during your draw step, then clearing the board in response to activation. They get a Fanatic which can remove your Bridges if they sac it. You get eight 2/2s. Good times.

Nucklehead
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
And Firestorm is worth it, especially in that field. I thought it would be a "random Legacy field", where all the kiddies pack tons of graveyard hate. My first deck would have handled that nicely. Instead it was a pure "random" field full of jank, and creature rush. Sui, Elves, Boros, Dark Boros, etc. Firestorm beats that stuff much more easily. It also is just the tits against Goblins. Holding a Bridge, then sweeping their team and getting it in your yard is a win. So it waiting until they have a Fanatic to Vial during your draw step, then clearing the board in response to activation. They get a Fanatic which can remove your Bridges if they sac it. You get eight 2/2s. Good times.

How are you getting eight 2/2s if they are sacking the fanatic to remove the bridges, is there something Im missing with firestorm?

BTW I am loving the Witness tech!

Anusien
08-20-2008, 05:39 PM
How are you getting eight 2/2s if they are sacking the fanatic to remove the bridges, is there something Im missing with firestorm?

BTW I am loving the Witness tech!
Casting Firestorm in response to Vial activation, so Fanatic isn't in play yet.

Happy Gilmore
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Gratz on 13 and a well played tournament. I love the firestorm idea, gives you an excellent answer to Jailer as well. Simply Brilliant. And as always

:smile: is good.

kicks_422
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
No more Leyline of the Voids in the SB? I was thinking of cutting them as well, since I very rarely board those in... Only for the mirror and sometimes Goblins.

Parcher
08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Leyline was never worth it's inclusion. You have to assume your opponent has it in the mirror, so you have to mull to removal unless you are on the play, and have castable critters. If your opponent lands it on the play, and discards your removal, that's a loss I'm willing to risk for the better overall sideboard.

Firestorm is just better against Goblins. I've gotten to the point where I almost play them like a control deck. Using the few tokens I get along with Firestorm to clear their attackers, and swinging with Ichorids. Firestorm also allows continuation of slow-dredge. Not only is Goblins awful on defense, but they are forced to now protect their life total with even more unfavorable combat trades since you can potentially burn them out.

kicks_422
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I see. Good call.

Do you remember your SB plans for each match? Or at least a general guide which you follow?

Also, I'm thinking of switching the numbers of Dread Return and Deep Analysis, just because I want to see Deep Analysis more when I Breakthrough-LED. Is that a good thing? Or is 3 Dread Returns really needed?

Parcher
08-21-2008, 12:17 AM
A third DA would be optimal, but there really isn't a cut for it. The deck is really so tight that I would really need some numbers run to decisively make any changes. The third Dread is unfortunately necessary now with Witness. Witness is not as objectively strong as Sage with a guaranteed draw three, but it's almost absurd versatility more than makes up for it.

Unfortunately, there is no reasonable sideboard guide. If your opponent doesn't play Black, assume Crypt. You can also board Chain if you are worried. Other than that, they can run any/all of the big three (Leyline, Jailer, Extirpate). One you can't do anything about unless you run Chalice. Overall, Chalice is far worse than Needle, especially since you will be on the draw game two, so ignore it. The other two are a guessing game, and often players running Black will run Crypt anyway. Scouting and reading decklists are your best ways to make an educated guess on what they will bring.

As to what to remove, the consensus was always "switch out the combo". This was a holdover from Extended and is usually wrong. That is to say, Flame Kin will usually stay in against any deck that can't remove your Bridges. All Unmasks stay against any deck with countermagic anyway, and you want the ability to win before they can set up. Obviously you use the same plan versus combo. I will pull him and a Dread against Goblins, or decks with burn. Imp is usually replaced with Firestorm against these, with Unmask being obviously removed. Two LEDs come out against Blue decks along with DA if room is needed. Against combo, I'll pull a Dread and two Ichorids, but not Witness. Not only can she speed you up, she can recurse discard. Basically the most often removed are in order:

3 Unmask
2-3 LED
1-2 Deep Analysis
1 Dread Return
1 Flame Kin Zealot
1-2 Ichorid
1 Eternal Witness

I know that people question Unmask, and my listing thusly would give more toward that reasoning. The fact is, it enables game one wins against the only decks that can stop them. Those with counters. It also allows you to have a plan against an unknown before running into problems. A lot of this is irrelevant games 2 and 3, so they are removed. Anyone who thinks Ichorid can best Belcher or TES without them reliably is deluding themselves.

Tash
08-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow, I feel like a total tool. I was standing around and talking to you about stuff and didn't even realize who you were.

*head desk*

Congrats on your 13th place indeed.

Parcher
08-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Well, I still don't know who you are. So I guess we're even.

Besides, I was wearing URABAHN's nametag.

EDIT: Nevermind, Ben. I'm drunk.