PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Better late than never

AnwarA101
08-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I forgot to post this tournament report. After seeing Parcher's report, it reminded me of this report that I forgot to file. This is from last month's 1000 dollar Tournament in Syracuse, NY. We were able to stay at Kadilak's place and he was a gracious host as always. I rolled with Ichorid figuring it worked for me on the West Coast so I had better try it on the East Coast. Parcher gave me this great list so what's the point of playing anything else?

3 Cephalid Coliseum
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
4 Putrid Imp
4 Breakthrough
4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
4 Cabal Therapy
3 Unmask
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
1 Cephalid Sage
3 Dread Return
2 Deep Analysis
4 Bridge from Below
4 Narcomoeba
4 Ichorid
3 Golgari Thug
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Golgari-Grave Troll

Sideboard:
4 Pithing Needle
4 Chain of Vapor
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Unmask
2 Ray of Revelation

Before the tournament began, I offered my customary prayer to Vishnu to destroy my enemies. It seems that Vishnu answered.

Okay here is who I played -

Round 1 Tariq White (not sure about his source name) UBG Psychatog win 2-0
Game 1: I look at my opening hand, and see this: Cephalid Coliseum, Breakthrough, Lion's Eye Diamond, Golgari Grave Troll, Deep Analysis, Cephalid Sage, and a Stinkweed Imp. But, since I lost the die roll, he goes first and plays a Polluted Delta. On my turn, I draw Unmask. So, pitching Stinky, I Unmask him and see an irrelevant hand. So, I play LED, followed by Cephalid Coliseum. Play Breakthrough, then, before passing priority, cracked an LED. Dredge my entire deck, and kill him.

Game 2: I open my hand with: Chain of Vapor, Cephalid Coliseum, Lion's Eye Diamond, Golgari Grave Troll, Unmask, Stinky, and Gemstone Mine. He opens with Leyline of the Cheatyface. He plays Polluted Delta and passes. On my turn, I draw another Chain of Vapor. I Chain of Vapor his Leyline then use Unmask to get rid of it. Then, he dies. Vishnu truly smiled upon me this round.

Round 2 Dan Signorini (nitewolf9) Eva Green win 2-0
Game 1: I win the die roll and open a hand of: LED x2, City of Brass, Breakthrough, Golgari Grave Troll x2, and Deep Analysis. He doesn't get a turn.
Game 2: Dan mulligans to four to find Leyline, but I Chain it and kill him. Ah Vishnu, truly you are the destroyer of worlds.

Round 3 Brendan O'Dowd (Ebinsugewa) GBW Survival win 2-0
Survival? Seriously? That's pretty great.
Game 1: I open a hand of: Cephalid Coliseum, Breakthrough, Golgari Grave Troll x2, Ichorid, Bridge from Below, and Dread Return. Hmm, no turn one kill. Boo. Brendan drops a first turn Birds, and passes. I draw... LION'S EYE DIAMOND. Ah, Vishnu, what a kidder. So, DEATH.

Game 2: Brendan opens with Bird, Crypt. Whatever, my hand is Gemstone Mine, Cephalid Coliseum, Chain of Vapor, LED, Breakthrough, and Golgari Grave Troll x2. I draw for my turn, Deep Analysis. I play Mine and pass. Brendan plays Survival and passes. At the end of his turn, I Chain his Crypt. I draw for my turn a third Golgari Grave Troll. I play Coliseum, and LED, then tap the Mine for Breakthrough discarding my hand to LED first. Brendan activates Survival to find a Fairy Macabre to nix my two Grave Trolls hoping for the best. My dredge is this: Golgari Grave Troll, Narcomoeba x2, Stinky, Dread Return, Bridge from Below. My second draw is Bridge x2, Narcomoeba, Cephalid Sage, Stinky, Ichorid. Man, that Vishnu, what a guy.

Round 4 Don Bruss (AngryTroll) RBGWSA win 2-0
Survival again? Awesome. But why do I keep losing the die roll?

Game 1: I win the die roll and my hand is: LED x2, Breakthrough x2, Gemstone Mine, Golgari Grave Troll, Bridge from Below. My first dredge is this: Narcomoeba x3, Cabal Therapy, Bridge from Below, Dread Return. Then, my second one is this: Bridge from Below, Cephalid Sage, Deep Analysis, Stinky x2, Cabal Therapy. Is there a turn three in this game?

Game 2: I have the turn 2 win on the draw. Don plays a land and passes. I play Putrid Imp and pass. Don plays Burning Wish and he wishes that he wasn't playing against Ichorid, but since that isn't a legal Burning Wish target he goes for Rough/Tumble. On my turn I pitch Stinkweed Imp, dredge five and cast Breakthrough. You know the rest of the story.

Round 5 Bryant Cook(Bryant Cook) TES loss 2-1
I get a call before this round, apparently Vishnu needed to take a bathroom break, so I was going to be on my own for the next one. Uh oh. Whatever, I can handle it, right?
Game 1:I have the turn 2 win on the draw. I keep. He plays land go. I play Putrid Imp go. He plays another land, but can't go off. I win the next turn.

Game 2: Goes on for awhile, but eventually Bryant is able to drop a bunch of Goblins which start beating me down. On my last turn, I need to hit another Bridge from Below, but I don't and can't win the game. Bryant is sure that he has lost and I think he almost talked himself out of a win.

Game 3: Goes on for awhile like game 2, but I mess up on the last turn. I have a Cephalid Coliseum in play along with a 2x LED. I have a Cephalid Coliseum in my hand as well. No dredgers in the yard, but I do have one in my hand. I decide to activate LED on my upkeep instead of waiting to go to my mainphase. I only get to activate 1 Coliseum instead of 2 and I don't hit what I need.

Wrong, I guess.
Round 6 Geoff Smelski (konsultant) UWG Landstill ID
I think about killing him, but Vishnu still hasn't answered any of his calls. So, we ID so that I don't have to test my luck.

Top 8 Dave Caplan (goobafish) UGR Thrash loss 2-0
C'mon Vishnu! What the hell?

Game 1: I mull to 3 which has nothing going on. I thought about going to 2 and probably should have. Too bad I don't Bazaar in my deck it would have been an easier decision. I draw LED, but he Dazes it. I draw Unmask a few turns later and try to Unmask myself. He forces my Unmask. You know Ichorid has got to be good when your opponent doesn't want you to Unmask yourself!

Game 2: My hand is busted. Land, Led, Breakthrough, 2x Dredgers, etc. I dredge like 20+ cards without seeing a Narcomeoba. I can bring back all 4 Ichorids next turn, but Dave decides to Brainstorm into Tormod's Crypt. If you were wondering how Thrash beats Ichorid. This is how it happens.

Props:
Kadilak for letting us stay at his place.
My opponents for accepting my ridiculous hands.
Ichorid for being a stupid good deck.

Slops:
I can't remember any except for Ichorid not winning the tournament.

frogboy
08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Game 1: I open a hand of: Cephalid Coliseum, Breakthrough, Golgari Grave Troll x2, Ichorid, Bridge from Below, and Dread Return.

were you just planning on discarding on turn one? I'm confused why this isn't a mulligan.

AnwarA101
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
were you just planning on discarding on turn one? I'm confused why this isn't a mulligan.

Yeah just discard on the draw and then win next turn.

Nihil Credo
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Game 2: I open my hand with: Chain of Vapor, Cephalid Coliseum, Lion's Eye Diamond, Golgari Grave Troll, Unmask, Stinky, and Gemstone Mine. He opens with Leyline of the Cheatyface. He plays Polluted Delta and passes. On my turn, I draw another Chain of Vapor. I Chain of Vapor his Leyline then use Unmask to get rid of it. Then, he dies. Vishnu truly smiled upon me this round.

This loses to FoW, though. Unless he mulliganed, wouldn't it have been correct to Unmask first fishing for counters and then Coliseum -> Chain the Leyline? Following that up with LED, pass, blow it during upkeep, dredge, activate Coliseum during draw step had good chances of either killing him or Therapying away the Leyline before he could replay it anyway.

Tenant_Tron
08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
This loses to FoW, though. Unless he mulliganed, wouldn't it have been correct to Unmask first fishing for counters and then Coliseum -> Chain the Leyline? Following that up with LED, pass, blow it during upkeep, dredge, activate Coliseum during draw step had good chances of either killing him or Therapying away the Leyline before he could replay it anyway.

Well he a drew another Chain, so the opponent would have needed 2 FoW.

T.T

AngryTroll
08-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Our game one I never got a turn, you won this die roll and killed me on your first turn. So yes, you do win die rolls, apparently. Game two you won on your second turn.

Don plays Burning Wish and he wishes that he wasn't playing against Ichorid, but since that isn't a legal Burning Wish target he goes for Rough/Tumble.

Awesome.

Ebinsugewa
08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't remember our match being anything like that, but maybe I'm forgetting something. I remember a Yixlid Jailer being cast, at least, and I wasn't playing Macabre. But it's not like the details are relevant, because I was playing Survival against Ichorid.