PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Legacy Champs 2008: 3rd Place (Link)

Fons
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Article
http://my.tcgplayer.com/blog/view/id_2399

It has the list for the third place belcher list.

undone
08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Seemed good. All I know is that in a combo based metagame, I would play TES as its by far the best combo deck. The power of orims chant is STUPID good. Also I can answer his question as to why the "Unfair" decks in the format dont T8 All day long.

1) combo isnt as popular to play. Its just not as fun as getting in the red zone.

2) It is the most unforgiving archtype, screw up you lose. Theres often little chance to come back.

3) People are afrade of countermagic, more importantly counter top.

4) People Do NOT UNDERSTAND COMBO. They just know they died on turn 1 or happened to get destroyed by 12 T1 gobs.

5) People dont want to lose to bad hands or have to mull often.

kicks_422
08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Also, people HATE losing to combo. So the good players stock up on combo hate in the SB, making Games 2 and 3 tougher than it should be.

Alfred
08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Great write-up. I like your writing style.

undone
08-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Also, people HATE losing to combo. So the good players stock up on combo hate in the SB, making Games 2 and 3 tougher than it should be.

True But this leads to a single problem

1) Hate is either single instant based or perminant based

a) Instant based hate can be plowed through with the right hand.

b) perminant hate is slow... Like turns 1 and 2 slow.

AngryTroll
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Great report- I really enjoyed reading it. I especially liked your discussion of Legacy being a balance between Fair and Unfair decks.

Congratulations on the finish.

@Fons: Thanks for posting the link, I just hope the guy that wrote it eventually does see this thread.

Fons
08-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I didn't write this!?

voltron00x
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
:smile: I'm reading it now.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it. It was really fun to play in a Legacy tournament after playing nothing but block for the better part of 3 months. I'm actually hoping to get a local Legacy tournament going every month or so. It's an awesome format.

I agree on the various comments about Combo, and there's one more point I'd make, which is commonly stated - most "better" or "pro" players will generally gravitate toward a control or aggro-control deck, preferably one with a lot of card draw / filter and counterspells, because that style gives you the best chance of outplaying your opponent as well as the least chance of losing to mana screw / flood. Belcher, TES, Dredge, and similar decks give you less chance to "outplay" your opponent and more chance to win simply on deck strength. They also require more aggressive mulligans and can get some hands that simply "can't get there" no matter what you do.

In any event glad you guys enjoyed the report, and thanks for posting the link.