PDA

View Full Version : Top 8 with Wildfire

Sanguine Voyeur
08-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Prelude of light

As the online tourney was announced, I figured, "Nah, too much work." The morning before registration ends, I cave and throw together a crappy deck list to run just for kicks. Twenty minutes before registration ends, I switch it out for Wildfire.

Wildfire x00.01

// Lands
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Sandstone Needle
8 Mountain

// Creatures
4 Sundering Titan
4 Crater Hellion

// Spells
4 Gruul Signet
4 Worn Powerstone
4 Gilded Lotus
4 Thran Dynamo
4 Burning Wish
2 Wildfire
2 Burning of Xinye
4 Trinisphere
2 Decree of Annihilation
2 Devastation

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Decree of Annihilation
SB: 1 Devastation
SB: 4 Pyroclasm
SB: 1 Shattering Spree
SB: 1 Tooth and Nail
SB: 1 Recoup
SB: 1 Hull Breach
SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
SB: 1 Regrowth

About the name, the numeric part indicates that this is my first draft. I didn't even bother to goldfish it. I'm bad at writing reports, so here are the game summaries.

Round Rundown

Round One: THEchubbymuffin with Red Thresh
Game One: He Forces my early mana, bounces what he doesn't counter, and slowly beats me to death with a Mongoose.
Game Two: Sandstone Needle, Ancient Tomb, and City of Traitors each meet three different Wastelands and my Thran Dynamo gets Ancient Grudged. Despite all of this, I manage to cycle a Decree to hold him off. A Wish for Regrowth for Dynamo allows me to Wish for Tooth and win.
Game Three: An early Trinisphere is taken down with Daze and a Mongoose gets in some early beats. A Hellion wipes away the now threshed Mongoose and its Lhurgoyf life partner. A Wildfire opens up Hellion for his Lighting Bolt, but a Sundering Titan followed by another Hellion overwhelm his fresh Mongoose.

Round Two: Avatar of Light with Red Thresh
Game One: A turn two Trinisphere slows him down as he drops an irrelevant Counterbalance. A Mongoose and Tarmogoyf put him on the offensive until a Sundering Titan lands and wrecks up the joint. A second Titan joins his friend and smash what ever they want.
Game Two: Trinisphere gets countered and Hellion sweeps away a Tarmogoyf. I forget to pay echo, however a Titan and connection problems lead to a concession.

Round Three: Dapug with Red Thresh and Painter's Stone
Game One: An early Trinisphere is countered then nothing exciting happens until he drops a Grindstone and starts milling him self. A Hellion gets countered then another lands and takes the game.
Game Two: He lands another Grind Stone as I mass mana. We both dig for stuff until I try for a Titan which gets countered then play Wildfire in the same turn. GG's are exchanged.

Round Four: Der_imaginäre_Freund with Uw Landstill
Game One: An early Trinisphere get in there, a Swords eats a Hellion, and a Factory smacks me around. Another Hellion shows up and a cycled Decree stops man lands from bothering me. A Titan extinguishes any hope of rebuttal.
Game Two: I blaze though Standstills with my mana artifacts then resolve a Trinisphere. After some mana development on both sides and a Fact or Fiction that gives him a Meddling Mage, I wish for Tooth and Nail. He then plays Mage on Tooth letting me freely play my Sundering Titan, which is responded to with a cycled Decree of Justice for him. My Titan gets Swords-ed so I play Devastation to undo his Mage, man lands, and tokens. Wish for Regrowth for an Ancient Tomb allows me to cast another Titan, which is met with a Humility. I cycle a Decree in response to his EE for three, and on my turn Wish for Hull Breach to allow Titan to swing for the win.

Round Five: Giles with Aggro Loam
He says he's thinking of an intentional draw, I tell him the Ichorid mirror match is too much of a coin flip or me to be comfortable. We ID.

Round Six: PhanTom_lt with Red Thresh
Game One: As I gather mana, he lands a Goyf and Forces my Trinisphere. His Goyf gets in there a few times before Sundering Titan comes down to race. A Mongoose stalls the race. Attempting to break the stall, I cast Wildfire into his Force. A second Titan comes into play and breaks the stale mate.
Game Two: I build my mana base as his Goyf and Mongoose go aggro until I play Wildfire, which gets countered. I cycle a Decree to stop him from playing more threats and follow it up with Devastation to sweep his lovely pair of creatures. A Titan lands to end the game, but a second Titan gets Forced and the original Gripped. A Trinipshere protected Hellion swoops in to actually win the game.

Round Seven: Klaus with Uw Landstill
Game One: My first Trinisphere gets Forced and a second lands. I blaze through his Standstills, go to ten from self wounds, and man lands win it for him.
Game Two: My Trinisphere gets Forced, again. I break a Standstill with Hellion which is Wrathed. A second Hellion goes to see a man about some farming. He Decrees for three with a Humility next turn. Wildfire gets countered, but a cycled Decree followed by Trinisphere stops him from playing spells. The lock, however, doesn't stop his tokens which go all the way. At some point in this game, I hard casted a Decree.

Quarterfinals?: Elfrago with Eva Green
Basically, his disruption actually hurts me, unlike the rest of the format. My hand gets ripped, my lands sunken, and my other mana Sealed. Plus, Tombstalker never dies to Wildfire.

Next on the horizon is the MTG Salvation tournament with several evolutions to the deck.

Giles
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
[B][U]
Round Five: Giles with Aggro Loam
He says he's thinking of an intentional draw, I tell him the Ichorid mirror match is too much of a coin flip or me to be comfortable. We ID.

I was going to play this match. However, other forces required my immediate attention.

EDIT: I was playing white aggro loam.

electrolyze
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
congratz on the finish with a deck like wildfire:laugh: but, omg, how much people where playing (red)thresh at this tourney:eek: or was it your 'luck' to face all the thresh decks:confused:

to bad you had to play against eva green in the t8 because i liked a t4 with both eva green and wildfire:laugh: or maybe a final between them.

deviant
08-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Awesome. Wildfire ftw.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
EDIT: I was playing white aggro loam.You were? Excellent. My gut told me you were playing a Loam deck. I assumed Aggro Loam and based my stance on that.

Pulp_Fiction
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
That deck looks fun as hell. You should start a thread for Wildfire.dec in New and Developmental and see what random ideas are out there. I would certainly test this out, it looks fucking sweet!

Tog
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
No way. I can't believe you the deck actually panned out. I've been meaning to revisit the deck for a while but every time I think of Goyf, I cringe. I'd just been afraid of it surviving our board sweeper. You played against very competent opponents for me to dismiss your win as a fluke. Congrats!

Sanguine Voyeur
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I've been meaning to revisit the deck for a while but every time I think of Goyf, I cringe. I'd just been afraid of it surviving our board sweeper.The first Tarmogoyf will typically only survive a Wildfire if your mana was disrupted. Subsequent Gofys will doge them, but still get killed by Titan or Hellion in combat. By then, you hopefully have Devastation and the mana to cast it.
You should start a thread for Wildfire.dec in New and Developmental and see what random ideas are out there.I would, but I don't think I have enough content for a proper starting post. I'm in the process of testing new cards, but that may take some time.

tpnp
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Congrats on the finish! Here's the original thread if you're looking for it:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3184

THEchubbymuffin
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Just pointing this out. But in my sideboard that i have proxied... I use a rough/tumble just for tombstalker.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Just pointing this out. But in my sideboard that i have proxied... I use a rough/tumble just for tombstalker.I like that, the Pyroclasm side makes it much better then Gale Force or Wallop. However, Savage Twister might be better.

Maveric78f
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Chalice should be MD IMO. You can even play it @3 with not much harm (@2, it only blocks your burning wishes, which is nothing compared to most decks). I have also the intuition that 36 mana sources is a bit too high. How did you experience it? Decree looks too much like an overcosted armageddon in your deck that plays already 10 other LD, not counting the burning wishes.

By the way, I don't see a single chance for you win against Loam or Ichorid, against combo, it should be quite difficult too. I'm not sure it's the edck to play at this moment.

moOnsteak
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Congratez for the amazing result. .
back to 2000, wildfire was my 1st deck and I'll always thankful to hear it's counted as a powerful legacy deck (again?). .
I'm waiting to discuss about this deck. .

Sanguine Voyeur
08-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Chalice should be MD IMO. You can even play it @3 with not much harm (@2, it only blocks your burning wishes, which is nothing compared to most decks).Chalice wouldn't be too good with the mana denial. I'm not saying there would be disharmony, but it would cut the amount of explosions I run with out supporting the over all strategy.

Decree looks too much like an overcosted armageddon in your deck that plays already 10 other LD, not counting the burning wishes.Decree is important due to its uncounterability and instant speed, especially against Landstill. Blue decks are easier to beat when they have no lands.
By the way, I don't see a single chance for you win against Loam or Ichorid, against combo, it should be quite difficult too. I'm not sure it's the edck to play at this moment.I may have been able to beat Aggro Loam if I out aggro him, but there is no way I could beat Icorid. I've tested twenty games and only won once. Side board Crypts may help, but nothing can make that match up positive.

Peter_Rotten
08-27-2008, 11:19 AM
That is hilarious! Is Wildfire the new metagame answer? I personally loled about the "Ichorid Mirror."

deviant
08-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm laughing at this myself, but how about Silent Arbiter in the board?
It even has 5 toughness!

You have a lot of 2-producing lands, how reliably could you get it out by turn2?

kidsmokin
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Prelude of light

^ > ^ > < ^

Congrats on the tourney, the deck looks like a lot of fun. I think cutting Devastation is probably the next move, you can keep one in the SB. Decree is sick in the deck, it looks like.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm laughing at this myself, but how about Silent Arbiter in the board?
It even has 5 toughness!The biggest problem with Arbiter is that Legacy is a format with big creatures. Even if a only a single Tarmogoyf, Tombstalker, Terravore, or Pit Dragon can get though, it's still a life threatening Tarmogoyf, Tombstalker, Terravore, or Pit Dragon attacking my face.
^ > ^ > < ^I'm glad someone got that.
I think cutting Devastation is probably the next move, you can keep one in the SB.Devastation is too useful against second Tarmogoyfs and other creatures with a toughness greater then four to be cut. I'd cut Wildfires before Devastation.

deviant
08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
The biggest problem with Arbiter is that Legacy is a format with big creatures.
EDIT: I meant against Ichorid, but somehow failed to remember the existence of Chain of Vapor.
Well, I'm sick and haven't slept, so I'll forgive that to myself.

Elfrago
08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Congrats on the finish!
The deck looks really fun, and it's the only deck I have ever seen running 4 Sundring Titans.
Really fun and fresh, I'll surely load it on mws for couple games.

Xurcks
08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I like that, the Pyroclasm side makes it much better then Gale Force or Wallop. However, Savage Twister might be better.

What about Starstorm? Same effect but it can at least cycle if there is no need for it at the moment.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Starstrom, as an instant, isn't wishable and I wouldn't run it main deck. Every card either destroys lands and creatures or makes it easier to cast those cards. The only exceptions are Trinisphere, which differs counter spells and makes the mana disruption hit harder, Burning Wish, which can destroy everything or do much more, and the win conditions, which destroy creatures or lands while wining the game.

Xurcks
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Oh , forgot about Starstorm being an instant. Savage Twister is better then as wishable SB material . And pyroclasm is better than it for SB material imo, so nevermind.

JMG021283
08-28-2008, 04:13 AM
random thought.... rolling earthquake.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-28-2008, 08:30 AM
random thought.... rolling earthquake.Earthquakes aren't too good in today's meta, you have to take too much damage and spend too much mana for them to be effective. In order to kill a 5/6 Tarmogoyf [instant, sorcery, land, creature, artifact], you need to spend seven mana and six life. You're better off playing Devastation.

Volcano Hellion, while requiring just as much life, sticks around for combat and cost four. However, I don't think I'd be comfortable running him[?] with out any life gain.
And pyroclasm is better than it for SB material imo, so nevermind.Pyroclasm doesn't take out Tombstalker like Tumble does. I"m going with a 3/1 side board split of the two.

Xurcks
08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I want to build the deck , but i won't have Devastations for quite a time...what can i use in it's place in the meanwhile?
I was trying Aftershock for dealing with goyfs , stalkers and dreadnoughts , though i'm not sure if it's good enough.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Wrecking Ball would be better then Aftershock, use some sort of blend of Signets, Talismans, Lotuses, and Relics to reach the black. I supported the RW planeswalker off just Boros Signets in place of Powerstones, so a minor splash isn't out of the question.

Pulp_Fiction
08-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Fissure is also something to consider. The manabase can easily get to 5 mana and it removes Goyf or more lands.

Xurcks
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
@Pulp_Fiction :
Nice , Fissure seems to be a quite good option ,much better than aftershock and with no need to splash. I will surely give it a try.
Thanks for the help everyone .

The_Red_Panda
08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Aftershock has GOT to be better than fissure. It costs less and is a sorcery for B-wish. Plus, it blows up artifacts. I really don't think instant speed is THAT much of a boon. The three damage may suck, but seriously, fissure has GOT to suck more.

Roman Candle
08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I played this deck for a while, and I really liked Bogardan Hellkite in the Hellion's slots. It does pretty much the same things as Hellion, but its better at taking out Goyfs, and kills faster.

Xurcks
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
@The_Red_Panda :

As i'm testing inferno as a sweeper now , the damage adds up quickly with ancient tombs and aftershock , so i'll be testing fissure for some time.

@Roman Candle :

I thought of Bogardan too , maybe it's worth testing.
I also thought about Two Headed Dragon , i love that card so much ^^

Pulp_Fiction
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Alright, this deck used to be really good. We should probably use this deck as a starting point and see if this deck really does have potential for Legacy. Here is the list that Kai Budde won Worlds with in 1999:

4x Covetous Dragon
3x Masticore
1x Karn, Silver Golem
4x Cursed Scroll
4x Fire Diamond
4x Grim Monolith
2x Mishra's Helix
4x Temporal Aperature (This should REALLY be included)
4x Thran Dynamo
4x Voltaic Key
4x Wildfire
2x Worn Powerstone
3x Ancient Tomb
4x City of Traitors
13x Mountain

Seems solid. The cards we should not run are Cursed Scroll, Grim Monolith (should run but can't), and Fire Diamond. Does Mishra's Helix sound like a good plan or would it be smater to just run additional Wildfires? Sundering Titan is a fucking monster and should be run as a kill source but run something like 3x Sundering Titan, 2x Crater Hellion, 2x Covetous Dragon, 1x Karn? Also, I think Voltaic Key is a must as well as Temporal Aperature. Lets see where we can go from here.

XSivPSI
08-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Alright, this deck used to be really good. We should probably use this deck as a starting point and see if this deck really does have potential for Legacy. Here is the list that Kai Budde won Worlds with in 1999:

4x Covetous Dragon
3x Masticore
1x Karn, Silver Golem
4x Cursed Scroll
4x Fire Diamond
4x Grim Monolith
2x Mishra's Helix
4x Temporal Aperature (This should REALLY be included)
4x Thran Dynamo
4x Voltaic Key
4x Wildfire
2x Worn Powerstone
3x Ancient Tomb
4x City of Traitors
13x Mountain

Seems solid. The cards we should not run are Cursed Scroll, Grim Monolith (should run but can't), and Fire Diamond. Does Mishra's Helix sound like a good plan or would it be smater to just run additional Wildfires? Sundering Titan is a fucking monster and should be run as a kill source but run something like 3x Sundering Titan, 2x Crater Hellion, 2x Covetous Dragon, 1x Karn? Also, I think Voltaic Key is a must as well as Temporal Aperature. Lets see where we can go from here.

I've been playing a copy of Sanguine Voyeur's version and titan and hellion pwn. I personally think they are better than dragon and karn more often than not. However, Temporal Aperture might be worth something, its a free card every turn when you're in topdeck mode. I'm not sure what to cut for it though. Also, with as much mana as this deck can make masticore might be worth running to get the extra points in on tarmo and stalker after a wildfire, or just kill them outright.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Does Mishra's Helix sound like a good plan or would it be smater to just run additional Wildfires?Wildfires are better for their ability to deal with creatures and not just stall lands, destroy them. If something deals with only creatures or lands, it needs a good amount of justification.
Sundering Titan is a fucking monster and should be run as a kill source but run something like 3x Sundering Titan, 2x Crater Hellion, 2x Covetous Dragon, 1x Karn?Win conditions fall in the same boat as sweepers. Sundering Titan can destroy three lands easily without touching yours. Crater Hellion sweeps away everybody a Wildfire can, then goes on living until answered. Volcano Hellion takes care of a threat regardless of size then, possibly, persists as a 6/5. Covetous Dragon is only a 6/5 flier. Karn may end the game quick, but only helps you when you're losing at the cost of your mana base.
Also, I think Voltaic Key is a must as well as Temporal Aperature.Temporal Aperture is certainly cool and worthy of testing. The best part of all, if it pans out, I can get it altered to be GLaDOS.
Also, I think Voltaic Key is a must as well as Temporal Aperature. Lets see where we can go from here.Key isn't as good as another mana artifact. Alone, it's nothing. With a Signet or Talisman, it's nothing. With a Worn Powerstone, it taps for one. With a Dyanamo or Lotus, it taps for two. It helps when I'm doing well, but not when I need more mana.

Elfrago
08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
If you consider Volcano Hellion, then you should try Bogardan Hellkite too. It's more expensive, but the ability to destroy more treats may be worth it. Oh, it has flying too.

Xurcks
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Other cards i stumbled upon , just for brainstorming , because i'm going to college in about 10 minutes :

Ward of Bones
Crumbling Sanctuary
Sculpting Steel

XSivPSI
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Other cards i stumbled upon , just for brainstorming , because i'm going to college in about 10 minutes :

Ward of Bones
Crumbling Sanctuary
Sculpting Steel

all of those look nice, the ward could be a solid lock with a trinisphere. They get one land if you have none. :smile:

Sanctuary would be a nice sb card for decks that are too fast.

pay 3 for another titan? ok

Key isn't as good as another mana artifact. Alone, it's nothing. With a Signet or Talisman, it's nothing. With a Worn Powerstone, it taps for one. With a Dyanamo or Lotus, it taps for two. It helps when I'm doing well, but not when I need more mana.

Key would be good with aperture if you're in topdeck mode with everything set up since you could potentially activate it twice...

I have a feeling we might just be diluting the threats though trying to fit in cool stuff... but while we're at it:
Phyrexian colossus (with voltaic key)
tatsumasa, the dragon's fang.
planar portal
urza's rage

ok, i'm done with the bad suggestions...

Sanguine Voyeur
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Ward of Bones cost too much for too little effect.
Sanctuary has too little of an effect.
Sculpting Steel would either be better as a mana card or is win more.
Phyrexian Colossus is worse then Titan.
Dragon's Fang is interesting, but requires too much mana if I need to race.
Planar Portal is worse then Aperture.
Urza's Rage cost far too much mana.
Key is only good with Aperture when you have eleven mana.

However, Aperture has been working out kind of well. It's good to have card draw that can pull you out of a jam.

ChiiMagic
08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
hey, I really loved the deck when it was in standard and got really excited when I saw this thread. I just had a few questions that maybe you guys could answer before I dedicate time to this deck. How is your goblins matchup? I was thinking it could be a little rough because of the wastelands and how devastatingly effective rishadan ports are on the two mana lands. Otherwise I really love that you did well with this deck and congrats on the finish.

Xurcks
08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a feeling we might just be diluting the threats though trying to fit in cool stuff... but while we're at it:
Phyrexian colossus (with voltaic key)
tatsumasa, the dragon's fang.
planar portal
urza's rage

ok, i'm done with the bad suggestions...

Tatsumasa , is too expensive , as Sanguine Voyeur said. You'd better be using something like Dragon Roost in it's place.

Also , Temporal Aperture seems like a good addition i'll be really testing soon.
The deck would benefit a lot from a little "card draw".

XSivPSI
08-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Tatsumasa , is too expensive , as Sanguine Voyeur said. You'd better be using something like Dragon Roost in it's place.

Also , Temporal Aperture seems like a good addition i'll be really testing soon.

Except on occasion I had issues having double red. But yea I know, don't play any of the cards I mentioned. I was just throwing them out there kinda just to show interest/stir up some ideas...

fl0Sc
08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Well of Knowledge might be a card to consider, this gem can turn your massive mana into massive card advantage. Sure, your opponent can draw cards with it, too, but you can outdraw him easily.