PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Team Herbig's (kind of) Massive Fail at GP Manila Legacy Side Event

kicks_422
08-31-2008, 08:42 AM
So yeah. See title. I borrowed cards from Mike to be able to play Ichorid, while he played UGB Thrash. We were both in it for fun, really... But losing still kind of sucks. I went 2-3 while Mike went 1-4, him losing to Suicide Black, White Weenie, and Mono-Blue Wizards in the process. I guess he could fill in for his part of the report later.

For me, here's my decklist:

// Lands
3 [OD] Cephalid Coliseum
4 [8E] City of Brass
4 [WL] Gemstone Mine

// Creatures
1 [RAV] Flame-Kin Zealot
4 [TO] Putrid Imp
4 [TO] Ichorid
4 [FUT] Narcomoeba
4 [RAV] Stinkweed Imp
4 [RAV] Golgari Grave-Troll
3 [RAV] Golgari Thug
1 [FD] Eternal Witness

// Spells
4 [FUT] Bridge from Below
2 [TSP] Dread Return
4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
4 [TO] Breakthrough
3 [TO] Deep Analysis
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
3 [MM] Unmask

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MM] Unmask
SB: 4 [ON] Chain of Vapor
SB: 4 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [WL] Leyline of the Void
SB: 2 [IN] Wispmare

I was supposedly going to run 4 Firestorms in the Leyline slots in the SB, but I didn't get some in time. With last minute borrowings, I shuffled the deck up and went to the first game.

Match 1: Mono-Blue Control with Mesmeric Orbs/Brain Freeze

I couldn't have wished for a better first match to start off the day. Game 1 I steamrolled him Turn 2. For Game 2, I thought I didn't need to board anything in since he didn't have an SB. He drops a Propaganda, which slows me down much. He then proceeds to drop two more. Game 3, I combo off Turn 3 but didn't hit the Zealot. I Witness'd back a Chain of Vapor instead, so that even if he drop s a Propaganda, I could bounce it. He does so, I bounce, and swarm for lots.

Record: 1-0 (Game 1's: 1-0)

Match 2: GB Rock

I thought this would be a cakewalk. I killed him Turn 1 in the first game. On the second game, I boarded in Chain of Vapors and Pithing Needles, but had to keep a questionable hand (I think I mulled to 5 at that point). He was able to cast a Withered Wretch which stopped me cold from my supposedly DDD plan. On the third game, he was able to cast Cranial Extraction on me four times. A DR'd 8/8 Troll chipped him down to 4, but Volrath's Stronghold recurring Eternal Witness was just too much. Frowntown.

Record: 1-1 (Game 1's: 2-0)

Match 3: UR Landstill

Oh good. Another good match-up, supposedly. I killed him Turn 2 I think, with Unmask to protect Breakthrough. Game 2, he had a Turn 1 Crypt which slowed me down a lot because he was able to kill my Putrid Imp, and Factory beats ensued. Game 3, he was able to get an Academy Ruins -> Tormod's Crypt lock on me. Geez.

Record: 1-2 (Game 1's: 3-0)

Match 4: Spring Tide

I know this guy personally, nice guy. However, my deck went brutal on him. Game 1, I went off Turn 2. Game 2 lasted a bit long, since I cast Breakthrough hoping to hit a dredger but didn't. I had to play draw-go for a while until a dredger showed up, then sacrificed an LED to get it into the bin to activate Coliseum. I was able to rip his hand to shreds with Therapy and Unmask just at the right time.

Record: 2-2 (Game 1's: 4-0)

Match 5: False Cure

Game 1 lasted a bit because I again wasn't able to hit a dredger with my first Breakthrough, which allowed him to cast Confidant and Deed. He was able to draw into Extirpate, but didn't use it right away to instead pop Deed. I won the following turn with Ichorid and Zombie beats. Game 2, he had a Leyline, but I had a Chain of Vapor in hand. I cast Needle on Deed, then at around Turn 3 or so bounced Leyline at his EOT. I activated Coliseum, and then was going to rip his hand to shreds when I named Predator with Cabal Therapy, not Kavu Predator. I thought that it would be OK since I already saw his hand with an Unmask I cast earlier, but yeah, I admit that it was a mistake. He was then able to get 2 Goyfs out while I had lots of Zombie tokens (8-ish). He then proceeds to cast 2 Engineered Plagues in succession. Game 3, I kept a bad hand hoping to see a Chain of Vapor. He doesn't have a Leyline in play though, so I cast Breakthrough and again see no dredger. Goyf beats me down, while he hardcasts a Leyline off of Rituals.

Record: 2-3 (Game 1's: 5-0)

I dropped. Mike did too, and just hung around a bit before going home. We went on the same bus since we were going the same direction, and talked about how our decks were both kind of geared to win against established decks and developed metagames, but lost to randomness. We'd probably just both play Storm combo next time, and no, not the Brain Freeze type.

Zach Tartell
08-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike is a disgrace to my Tarmogoyfs.

kicks_422
08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
I guess attacking just isn't his thing, unless it's with 16 Goblin tokens.

Bryant Cook
08-31-2008, 07:10 PM
I guess attacking just isn't his thing, unless it's with 16 Goblin tokens.

I can relate.

Limz
08-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Kicks's, I'm the spring tide player maybe I should post what happened to me. I went 1-4 Drop and is also a massive failure. :cry:

1st Round Countersliver
Game one: kept a one land hand with brainstorm and ponder. Cast Ponder, reshuffle because of no lands then brainstorm next turn, still finding no lands. As i found my second land, He's already in control and I conceded to not give him an idea what to board in 2nd match.

Game 2: 2nd turn CB!!! I managed to wish in response finding wipe away. I went off turn four bouncing CB at end of his turn. Play tide, Fow his FOW, he dazed, I paid, then play faerie,untap(3 lands remains untapped),ideas unbound, giving me 3 lands, and I fizzled into oblvion. I was able to recover with an all or nothing chance to go off which was met by a FOW and STP to faerie
0-1

2nd Round White weenie. This should be a piece of cake but.......
1st game: I went off at turn four, then at storm count nine,i meditated giving me 3 lands and a brainstorm- then brainstorm into snap, land, FOW, and I fizzled because of lack of draw

2nd Game: I went off without any problems,but..... last 3 mana remaining, I snapped my Faerie, he STPs, I FOW, he STPs aain, I FOW again then he STPs again. Talk about tough luck.
0-2

Round 3: Random aggro which I crushed 2-0
1-2

Round 4 : Kick's ichorid ate me alive
1-3

Round 5: U/G madness
1st game: went off without problems

2nd game: I boarded out Wipe away and I didn't know he has arcane lab, unable to find a wish, I got beaten up by a moeba and rootwalla. There's almost no combo in existence in our meta(aside from ichorids) so I didn't expect someone would still bring an arcane lab :frown:

3rd game: He plays arcane lab third turn, I managed to wish in response finding Wipe Away. I sat a couple of turns sculpting my hand trying to find a FOW, Without any luck, i have to go off turn 5 cause I am now being beaten up by an arrogant wurm and a dog and his small brother. With four lands in play(opponent has four cards in hand, one of which is arcane lab that i bounced EOT), I play tide and it resolves, then COF untap, Ideas unbound- He counters, another ideas form me that was again countered- then last two lands I tapped for a turnabout( I still have a meditate on hand) which was dazed. oh crap, up to now I wondered why he let the tide resolve and counter my draws lol.
1-4 drop

Decklist
Spring Tide:

Creatures:
4 Cloud of Faeries

Spells:
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Force of Will
4 High Tide
4 Merchant Scroll
4 Ideas Unbound
3 Snap
3 Cunning Wish
3 Meditate
3 Turnabout
1 Serum Visions
1 Wipe Away
1 Trade Routes
1 Brainfreeze

Lands:
12 Islands
4 Flooded Strand

SideBoard:
3 Blue Elemental Blast (no hydroblasts pre-tourney :frown:)
3 Defense Grid
1 Repeal
1 Wipe Away
1 Meditate
1 Brainfreeze
1 Capsize
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Rebuild
1 Hydroblast

The repeal slot was initially another wipe away, but mike suggested putting one mainboard, which helped me a lot.

This was a big tourney with attendance reaching the maximum of 80 players for a Grand Prix Side event.

herbig
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Congrats to Team Herbig for a stellar performance. I went 1-3 drop, Bosk Banneret style.

Round 1! Burn
1: He gets a quick game one while I race with two thresholded Mongeese.
Side: 4 blue blasts, 1 counterbalance for 1 Thoughtseize, 4 Stifle
2: I get counter/top and ride it home
3: I get counter/top and ride it home

Round 2! Mono Blue Wizards
1: He plays some wizards while I play some cantrips and drop a goyf. Eventually Jitte comes in for him and takes it home.
Side: 1 Counterbalance, 3 Krosan Grip for 4 Stifle
2: We get into a nice counter war on turn 4. I play Goyf, he Forces, I play Counterbalance, he forces, I Daze, he Dazes. He untaps and plays the Wizard guy that counters stuff by tapping him. I draw dead while he puts more Wizards in play.

Round 3! White Weenie!
1: I don't even know how this happened. I'm ashamed.

Round 4: Suicide Black!
1: He gets a quick Zombie guy that eats our graveyards. Both my goyfs are chilling at a cool 1/2 until Contagion takes them both down a notch. Zombie guy takes them deader. Jitte again proves fatal.
Side 1 Balance, 3 Grip, for 4 Stifle
2: I get counterbalance and get some savage blind tops. 2x Engineered Plague is no match for my 1/1 Thresholded Mongoose.
3: Jitte I think.

Deck:
4 Goyf
3 Mongeese
3 Bobs

4 Stifle
4 Brainstrom
4 Pwnder
4 Force
3 Thoughtseize
3 Smother
3 Top
3 Cbalance
3 Daze
1 EE

3 waste
4 delta
3 strand
3 Trop
3 Usea
1 Swamp
1 Island

Side
4 BEB
1 Cbalance
4 Grip
3 Eplague
3 Tormod's Crypt

I dropped and hung out and watched the GP Top 8 some. It should have been me, if not for the damned Kithkins. But that is another story.

Most played card in Ph Legacy: Lotus petal. It's in everything. Landstill, Sligh, burn. Curiously I only saw one combo player, a Canadian playing Belcher, and he was doing pretty well. Lotus petal worked for him as well.

Nice to meet all the players, including Limz up there, I'm sure I'll see everyone again. Tough break on the Predators.

I'm in Manila until for damn ever. It's hot here, I need to go back to the mountains.

But I'm back! Watch out Manila, Team Herbig is taking your country by Storm, eventually. But maybe not, depends. But probably. I'll give it a shot. Peace.

Corps.

kicks_422
09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Team Herbig is taking your country by Storm.

Intentional or not, savage pun.