PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Winning a Foil Bitterblossom and 17 crap rares

freakish777
08-31-2008, 03:11 PM
The name I registered for this pile is:

Stalingrad Stockholm Berlin Tel-Aviv the World Rotates to the Ultra Heavy Beat from the Gutter to the Top David Gearhart Will Never Stop (Naming His Decks Poorly)

The list itself is:

Spells (37):
Intuition
3 Pernicious Deed
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
1 Life from the Loam
1 Eternal Witness
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Force of Will
4 Counterbalance
3 Sensei’s Divining Top
1 Wedalken Shackles

Lands (23):
3 Windswept Heath
4 Polluted Delta
1 Forest
2 Island
1 Plains
3 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
1 Bayou
1 Volrath’s Stronghold
1 Academy Ruins
1 Wasteland
1 City of Brass
2 Tundra

Sideboard (15):
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Pithing Needle
3 Extirpate
3 Tormod’s Crypt
2 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Hydroblast
1 Gigapede

And if any of the card choices look odd, check this (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=268201&postcount=17) post out.

So, Friday I call my friend Kevin, having no idea what I'm playing. Chuck isn't going to the event, and I won't be able to borrow a deck from him, as I've been doing so since my Threshold deck was stolen, I would replace the cards but I'm in the middle of buying a house, and need to see how much I have left over after the down payment, and then look at finances (subsequently Chuck has this deck put together and the couple times I played it locally, I wasn't a fan of Nev's Disk, and there were some games I wanted it to be a Wasteland instead, in fact the only thing Nev's Disk ever had going for it was revealing for 4 to Counterbalance). Kevin tells me he isn't interested in coming, so I ask if I can borrow some cards, he hands me:

4 Force of Will
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Nimble Mongoose
3 Engineered Explosives
3 Ponder
2 Intuition
1 Underground Sea
3 Bayou
3 Tropical Island
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Wasteland

I think there's some more stuff even. Including stuff I don't end up playing.

Friendly Phil Stolze tells me he can lend me:

1 Underground Sea
4 Polluted Delta
1 Counterbalance
3 Windswept Heath
3 Pernicious Deed
2 Intuition

I think there's some more stuff even, but I'm waaaaay to lazy to cross reference this very post to find out.

On the ride to 'Cuse John Dankert (eventual 2nd place finisher) tells me he can lend me:

4 Swords to Plowshares

On site, Adam Barnello tells me he got my PM and says he can lend me:

2 Tundra

On site, when flipping through the prices that PtGRtS has for their Counterbalances and Sensei's Divining Tops, and being disgusted with the $8 a Top pricetag, Zach "He's kind of a big deal" Tartello tells me he can lend me:

2 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Counterbalance

Round 1, Josh.

My opponent is playing a sleeve-less Counter Burn deck with Theiving Magpie (I love this card).

Anyways, after game two, I tell him he should look into adding Counterbalance and Top into his deck for even more Control.

2-0

Round 2, Mike Keller aka Hollywood aka A Legend

I mull to 6 in game 1. Mike keeps his 7. I figure he's playing Imperial Painter, and fetch out a basic Island. I figure correctly. An engineered Explosives ends up downing Jaya, SSG, and the Sword of Light and Shadow equipped to SSG. The Painter that EE didn't take out goes farming sometime after that and Goyf starts beating down. Mike scoops them up.

I bring in 5 Blasts. I really don't remember which cards I take out. Anyways, after some back and forth, I end up clearing his board with an EE on two, taking out my own Counterbalance, and then playing Counterbalance #2 (Top is active). He lands..... Helm of Obedience. Huh, I hope I can find my Goyfs before he does. Brainstorm and Top actually find the other 3 and put them safely in my hand and then into play.

4-0

Round 3, against John Dankert, who I know is playing Goyf Sligh.

Game 1:

Turn 1 Top.
Turn 2 Counterbalance.

Game 2:

See game 1.

John puts up a fight in both games, taking me to 4 and 9 respectively, but even with Shushers and Krosan Grips for GoyfSligh, it's hard to beat an early Counterbalance.

Round 4, Adam Barnello aka Nightmare, who I scouted as playing a UBg deck with Painter's Combo, Goyf, Bob, and Lim-Duls Vault.

I win a fairly tight game 1. There's some back and forth here, initially I'm trying to keep Adam's Counterbalances off the table, and he eventually lands Painter, which probably got Deed'd away. He lands a Bob, it goes farming. I land a Goyf, he gets there.

In game 2, I keep a 5 land, EE, Top hand. I get Thoughtseized. Awesome. It's highly probable I should have mulled that hand, however I don't think I had seen the Thoughtseizes from Adam's deck when I scouted it, and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather be manaflooded and hoping spells show up (66% chance the top card is a spell with that hand), then be manascrewed and hoping a land is on top.

Having seen Wasteland in game one, Adam plays around it (I sided it out after seeing the number of basics Adam was playing), and this game grinds essentially to a halt as Adam doesn't find early threats, and I end up landing a Goyf. Adam lands a 3rd Goyf at some point, and I land the Eternal Witness (I don't really remember what I bring back, except that it was likely better than the other options in my bin). Adam lands Bob. Blech. I have Volrath's Stronghold out (pretty sure I resolved an Intuition in there somewhere getting LftL, Witness and Stronghold, figuring I'd get back Intuition and then get EE, Academy Ruins, and Shackles). I miss an opportunity to attack with Witness here (as blocking it is really bad for Adam). She gets in the next turn, though. Finally Adam rips a Trinket Mage, which resolves and grabs him a Tormod's Crypt. He swings with all 3 Goyfs. I double block one of them, and let the other 2 through, taking 10, going to 6. I endstep activate Stronghold, Adam responds by crypting me (card advantage from Bob is killing me). I find and drop Goyf number 2 on my turn, Adam plays Echoing Truth on his turn, and we go to game 3.

In this one, my opening hand has double Goyf and a Counterbalance. I run Counterbalance into Force. And then I draw another Counterbalance (I think), which I run into Force. I draw the 3rd Goyf. I play the first Goyf. Adam now on 4 mana, plays Explosives and passes. I attack, he blows EE. I drop double Goyfs. He lands a Goyf of his own. I get in there for 5, dropping him to 12. He plays Tombstalker, I respond with Intuition, grabbing Academy Ruins, Loam, and Shackles, then let Tombstalker resolve. I dredge Loam, getting back 2 lands (leaving the third in my bin so Goyfs are 5/6s). I crash in, Tombstalker and Goyf double block one, Adam goes to 6 (he fetched in between), and Tombstalker dies. I put Shackles on top and play it on Turn zero when time is called. Adam Forces it. I put Shackles on top and play it on turn 2 of extra turns. Adam Forces it. Adam plays Ponder, looking for the win, doesn't find it (I assume he needed Brainstorm into Painter's Combo with 1 card in hand that wasn't either half), shuffles his deck and draws a card. I put Shackles on top, play it on turn 4 of extra turns, steal his Goyf, and my Goyf which is now a 6/7 (that Adam had thought were 5/6's) gets in for the win. Tough break, that game should have been a draw.

8-1

Round 5, paired down against Zach Fine (who I know is playing Eva/Emma Green). We ID since Zach is afraid of his Counterbalance. In retrospect I should have scooped Zach in, but was paranoid about getting paired down a second time and having to play it out in round 6.

Round 6, paired again Matt Pietarihen aka Petter_Rotten, ID so I can go to the CCB and pronounce it loudly much to the dismay of PR of Matt Abolt.

Top 8 against Carl with Canadian Thresh.

No lands, mull to 6. No lands mull to 5. City of Brass is one of my lands. That's just swell. I try and get out Deed, which is Countered, Intuition gets Countered, I think a Counterbalance is countered also. Anyways, I eventually resolve SDT, and in the process, potentially scare some spectators when I play Force of Will. Top finds me Goyf. Goyf takes him to 12 (I think he's got a 3/3 goose at this point, and decided to race instead of sit back on Goyf, which is very likely a mistake, but Top reveals me 3 lands, 3 turns in a row). He bounces Goyf on back to back turns, letting Goose get in there twice (a Bolt also got pointed at my dome, taking me to 2). I replay Goyf. He attempts to Bolt me out. I swords my own Goyf in response, he swings with Goose, taking me to 1. Top reveals non-relevant cards again (or he finally has the counterspell? whichever).

Game 2, He mulls to 6, I play an EE on 1 pre-emptively. He isn't drawing creatures. I eventually resolve an Intuition for Loam, Academy Ruins, and Wasteland. He scoops shortly afterwards.

Game 3. He ponders. I crack Windswept for Forest, and play SDT. It get's Force'd (sweet he doesn't have Daze, at least I don't think so). Turn 2, I drop Academy Ruins (leaving the Underground Sea in my hand since I'd really rather it not get Wasted), and play the first of two Goyfs that were in my opening hand, he Spell Snares (he has Goose in play). I take 1 from Goose (18), and Ruins gets Wasted, I play Goyf number 2, it gets Dazed. He tags me with Goose (15). I land Top, there isn't a land in the top 3 (I'm sitting on Intuition which needs to find the Loam + EE package, or triple EEs). He lands a second Goose and take me to 12. I top after drawing my card, see the third land, but not EE. I extend my hand shortly thereafter when it's evident I don't have the mana to Intuition for triple EE's, play 1, and detonate it before the Geese eat me.

Props:

Zach Tartell for being kind of a big deal.
Adam Barnello, Phil Stolze, John Dankert, and Kevin Seiter for also lending me cards.
Dave Gearheart and Intuition.
Wasteland for making mana in a deck I wanted a 23rd land in, for causing Adam to play around it and potentially messing up his colors/speed, and for winning me a game in T8.
Ripping a Foil Bitterblossom in the 18 packs of Morning Tide I received for T8'ing.
John Dankert for taking home the 4 FBB Trops for Rochester.

Slops:

Me, for being paranoid and not scooping Zach Fine into T8 in round 5.
Adam's deck for crapping out on him in game 3 of Round 5 against Carl.
The other 17 rares being crap.

MTG Guru
08-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow, you're lucky. Foil Bitterblossoms are really hard to come by. What exactly is the event that this report is for?

freakish777
08-31-2008, 03:58 PM
The PtGRtS Beta Tropical Island event.

Peter_Rotten
08-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Screw your foil Bitterblossom. I cracked open a Stillmoon Cavalier :rolleyes: as my "money" rare. And 17 crap rares.