PDA

View Full Version : [Report] I Know How TeenieBopper Feels.

Nightmare
09-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Cause 9th place sucks.

So, this weekend has been a whirlwind of awesome times. I'm not entirely sure I recall it all, cause it's been a four day weekend (and more importantly, a five night weekend). Here's my attempt at a recap:

Friday, I took the day off from work, because it was a three day weekend in the US due to Labor Day - a holiday solely meant to give people the day off from work. I'll take it. At the same time, why have a three day weekend, when you can have a four day weekend? So there it was. I drove up to Oswego to humor Zach "I Stole Adam's Basket" Tartell, and pretend I care that he can drink a lot of alcohol. Mostly I just wanted to pick up Futurama Seasons.

We (and by we, I mean Zach, Mike "TeenieBopper" "I make out with underaged girls and want to be a High School English Teacher" Edinger, and I) head out to some stupid college town bars to get shitfaced. At the first bar, I order a White Russian, otherwise known as a Caucasian (Ebinsugewa gets it), and pay a whopping $6.50 for it. FUCK THAT NOISE. I resolve to drink more "standard" drinks from here on out. By the time we reach the second bar, Mike is drunk, and Zach and I decide that he's a giant pussy. Leaving that bar, we tell Mike that it is now our intention to begin drinking, and go to this shitty dive where Zach's roommate works. He gets us no free drinks. Note to people I drink with - I get you free drinks from my friends. Return the favor. Zach and I proceed to drink Mike under the table, and then Zach drinks me under the table. I hit on a fatty bar tender, while Mike fails to wingman me with the other bartender, and we both go home alone. At least we have each other.

I spoon (Shotty big spoon) with Mike on the futon while Krieger rapes Zach in his bed - oh yeah, Virginia showed up - and we get the tournament going.

Yo, Thickness! Al Roker me! (AKA EPIC Painter)
4 Polluted delta
4 Flooded Strand
4 Underground sea
3 Tropical Island
1 Swamp
1 Academy Ruins
2 Island

2 Trinket Mage
4 Painter's Servant
3 Dark Confidant

4 Force of Will
4 Brainstrom
4 Ponder
3 Counterbalance
3 Sensei's Diving Top
3 Lim-Dul's Vault
4 Grindstone
4 Thoughtseize
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Echoing Truth
1 Tormod's Crypt

SB:
4x Goyf
3x Tombstalker
1x Needle
1x Crypt
2x Grip
3x Blue Elemental Blast
1x Explosives

This is the standard list, minus the Engineered Plagues in the board. Before the event, I realized everyone and their brother was playing Goyf Sligh, and no one was playing Goblins. This switch ended up being great all day, and it might become canon. We'll see.

Round 1 - Matt Abold (BigBear101) - Goyf Sligh
Good thing I made that last minute change! Game 1 is pretty terrible for you, but games two and three are much better. The man plan comes in, because every spell but like 4 kills your Painter, so it's almost impossible to win with it. Also, they tend to kill you during their upkeep when you combo out. Annoying.

Game 1 - He kills me during his upkeep when I combo. Annoying.
Game 2 - I make a Goyf, he makes a Goyf. I make a Painter, and Blue Blast his Goyf, putting mine out of burn range. He makes another Goyf, and I Blue Blast it again! I heart Blast!
Game 3 - He makes some guys, including some Vexing Shushers. I have Counterbalance, which is equivalent to Sphere of Resistance to him. He's land flooded, which is nice for this particular board state. Eventually I find a Tombstalker to break the stalemate, and swing him to 4 before he Fireblasts/Fanatics it out. I resolve another Goyf (Making me 2 to his 1 + 2x Shusher), and Blast a Shusher. He has to block badly, goes for the all-in Fireblast, and I counter the FB in response to the Shusher activation to win it.
1-0

Round 2 - I'm terrible at names, and take notes but never bring them to work - 43land.dec

Game 1 - He goes Wooded Foothills -> Taiga -> Exploration -> Maze of Ith. I do a happy dance inside. I quickly assemble the combo vs. no disruption.
Game 2 - I do the same thing, and he doesn't play Blessing, so it's easy. At one point, he tries to resolve Armageddon with all of my basics in play, which I Force. It was the only spell he played (not named Life from the Loam), so it wasn't resolving. After the match, he showed me that he hadn't even boarded Grip for the day, so there was really no way I wasn't winning this round.
2-0

Round 3 - Zach Fine - Eva Green
Game 1 - I open with Top, the best card in my deck against him, and he opens with Seize on a Counterbalance. I get ahead of him thanks to the top, and I proceed to combo, while he struggles to find threats.
Game 2 - I keep the combo in, and forgo the man plan, because he runs the same guys as me, and I know he doesn't have the board to deal with the combo. Note that he dedicated at least 11 slots to the Ichorid matchup, so he has limited room for other things, at best. He makes a Goyf, I make Counter-Top, and we race. I manage to EE away his guy, and replay another CB, and it's short work from there.
3-0

Round 4 - Dave Elrod - It's (Kinda) the Fear

Game 1 - Dave assumes control of the game early on, and makes Goyfs to kill me with.
Game 2 - I sneak some Goyfs through his wall of removal, and manage to eek one out with Echoing Truth on his blockers on EOT. This was one of the tighter games I've played in my life, skillwise. I was pretty stoked to win this one.
Game 3 - I screw up, and turn a guaranteed draw into a loss. I'm stupid, and Parcher makes sure I know that. Not keeping track of how big Goyf will be FTL.
3-1

Round 5 - Carl Dillahay - UGR Thrash
Carl is one of my good friends, and I know he doesn't care about Legacy at all. I ask if he'll scoop, and he tells me that he can't. This tournament is the last event in PTG's Summer League, and Carl needs to make top 8 to win the League, and the 40 dual first prize. He had calculated that he couldn't lose, until PTG changed the point structure of the last week of tournaments, and he found himself behind. Since he already sold the duals, he needed to win, or he had to move out of town. WHAT A SHIT POSITION FOR ME. Option A - Win, and force my friend to move, or Option B - Lose, and fail to make top 8. We could ID, but then we both have to win the last round to make top 8, putting a lot of pressure on us both. So we play.

Game 1 - After winning the die roll, I get a turn 1 Top, and start to assemble the combo. I get there eventually, through his counter wall.
Game 2 - He sides out spells for more counters, and I can't fight through them all.
Game 3 - After some back and forth action, we're both in topdeck mode for like a million turns. He proceeds to draw counterspell after counterspell, while I draw blank after blank. Eventually, he resolves a Goose, and it combines with Bolt to dash my top 8 hopes.
3-2

Round 6 - Mike "Hollywood" Keller (A Legend) - Imperial Painter
We have some history here, as we've played this matchup like a zillion times. I'm cold to a turn 1 Magus if I don't have Force, so I'm not excited. I know neither of us can make top 8, although if I win I know I get ninth, so fuck it.

Game 1 - Mike doesn't open with Magus. He does, however, open with kill you faster than you kill me. With REB backup.
Game 2 - I board out all 4 Painters for Goyf, since he HAS to resolve one, or his deck sucks. I start with Grindstone (the best turn 1 play in this match), and have Force to stall his shenanegans. Eventually, I kill him with Tarmogoyf.
Game 3 - He opens with SSG, SSG, Mountain, Magus, and I go FoW. I'll take a 2 for 3 on the draw. I open with Thoughtseize, and then another on turn 2, and he never recovers. He makes a Recruiter chain to block, but it never comes together.
4-2

So I get 9th, and get nothing for it.

Then I got tattooed on Monday, and all was well. Pics on Facebook, suckas.

Dig:
~ EPIC for building amazing decks
~ EPIC for introducing the Legacy world to Figure of Destiny.
~ Hollywood for running a million cards that suck for me.
~ Zach for drinking a lot
~ Taylor Ryan for being a retardedly good artist
~ Bryant for doing the right thing and skipping the event. First weekend of school is important.
~ VA guys who came up.
~ Carl for sticking it out, and taking it down.

Bury:
~ EPIC for taking 9-10, instead of 1-2
~ PTG for making my friend not able to scoop to me
~ No prize for 9-16
~ Fatty Bartender for not sleeving my peen.
~ hangovers

Skeggi
09-02-2008, 10:33 AM
At the first bar, I order a White Russian, otherwise known as a Caucasian

I knew you'd like creamy milky fluids.

Peter_Rotten
09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
This is the standard list, minus the Engineered Plagues in the board. Before the event, I realized everyone and their brother was playing Goyf Sligh, and no one was playing Goblins. This switch ended up being great all day, and it might become canon. We'll see.

Credit where credit is due, bitch.

Nightmare
09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Beating Two - After Round 4, I figure it's about time to teach Nightmare about BigDreadz. Fearing the deck, he protests, but I eventually cajole him into the losing proposition. The game goes back and forth and an early EE set for 1 prevents me from casting Dreadz. My Top keeps me in the game for quite some time but I know that his recursion will be the death of me. However, in an unprecedented move of pussy-dom, he scoops up his cards, cries that he, "just can't take the pressure," and goes home to wash his panties.

Credit where credit is due, bitch.

Michael Keller
09-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Round 6 - Mike "Hollywood" Keller (A Legend) - Imperial Painter
We have some history here, as we've played this matchup like a zillion times. I'm cold to a turn 1 Magus if I don't have Force, so I'm not excited. I know neither of us can make top 8, although if I win I know I get ninth, so fuck it.

Game 1 - Mike doesn't open with Magus. He does, however, open with kill you faster than you kill me. With REB backup.
Game 2 - I board out all 4 Painters for Goyf, since he HAS to resolve one, or his deck sucks. I start with Grindstone (the best turn 1 play in this match), and have Force to stall his shenanegans. Eventually, I kill him with Tarmogoyf.
Game 3 - He opens with SSG, SSG, Mountain, Magus, and I go FoW. I'll take a 2 for 3 on the draw. I open with Thoughtseize, and then another on turn 2, and he never recovers. He makes a Recruiter chain to block, but it never comes together.

What can I say, Adam; on that day you were the Ultimate Warrior and I was Hulk Hogan. I went for the leg-drop game three and you moved out of the way and got the big splash...very nice. :cool: