PDA

View Full Version : Southern California Legacy Tourney

The Rack
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Team Funk was thinking of hosting a SoCal tournament. The date would be in quite awhile around April or so during Spring Break. The prize support would be top 8 with swiss rounds and all that stuff. Do you guys have any ideas for this? Who would be interested in coming down to San Diego? I think the prizes would either be BLue Duals or Moxen. Any suggestions?

Gambit
09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
40 Duals!
Game Empire was good last time, they've got enough room. Hard to say if I could make April as it's pretty far off. But as of right now I would say I would make the haul from SF if the prize support was good.

The Rack
09-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Was 40 duals the prize for the last GE event? I thought it was 4 Foil Goyfs. If I have enough people interested then 40 duals might be a possibility. I'm not sure where the event would be held yet as it is a few months from now. Right now I know that 20 people would go, 10 from Team Funk and some others from GE. It would be unsanctioned. Anything else?

m03
09-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Team Funk was thinking of hosting a SoCal tournament. The date would be in quite awhile around April or so during Spring Break. The prize support would be top 8 with swiss rounds and all that stuff. Do you guys have any ideas for this? Who would be interested in coming down to San Diego? I think the prizes would either be BLue Duals or Moxen. Any suggestions?

About fucking time. We need more than one big tournament a year.

And yeah, I'd come down. I'd probably donate a minor amount towards prize support if it meant holding it sooner than sometime next year.

The Rack
09-12-2008, 01:42 AM
Well the only thing is that Game Empire holds a Winterfest tournament between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I don't really want to compete with them because they are a good store and singlehandedly started this Legacy scene down here. If we can get te LA, SF, and SD crowd at this event then it would be huge. The prize support will get larger and larger as more and more people sign up. Maybe I will have a preregistration as well to save a few bucks. What about Cash prizes? What do you think about them?

Gambit
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Why unsanctioned? And yea, GE had foil goyfs for 1st. But shit, if the guys up in the northwest can pull off 40 duals I see no reason that Cali shouldn't be able to!

Agro Beats
09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
:smile: GAME EMPIRE will indeed be hosting a WINTERFEST event in December 2008. Prizes are still being worked on. It will be good as usual. Look for more details in October. Team Funk is welcome to host your event in the spring at Game Empire. Chat me up at the Friday events.

Mister Agent
09-13-2008, 04:30 AM
I would love to go to this event hopefully I can. I am going to try to make an solid effort to get down to San Diego for this event. But yeah if the prize is 40 dual lands and if there are solid prizes going all the way down to 16th place or so then you probably could get a huge crowd. I know for certain there are plenty of compotent players in the west coast area and so it would definitely be fun playing against them. I am going to see if I can go but having to work almost full time and going to pharmacy training can be pretty rough.

Gaara of the Funk
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM

jake i know a reliable guy we can get a moxen from

thefreakaccident
09-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Depending on how many people we can get to this tournament, we may be able to put up such a prize.

However, if there are very few people who would be planning on going to this, then it would be difficult to guarantee such prize support.

Right now, we could put up all duals except for:

4 taiga
2 badlands
2 savannah
4 plateau

So, there isn't much we would really need to get if we planned on going this route.

Team-Hero
09-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I will show up to WinterFest and any other big tournament that happens in Game Empire. I could also bring at least 2-3 people to a tournament like this.

Gaara of the Funk
09-14-2008, 01:23 AM
I will show up to WinterFest and any other big tournament that happens in Game Empire. I could also bring at least 2-3 people to a tournament like this.

That'd be pretty cool do u live on the west coast?

Tog
09-14-2008, 01:58 AM
You guys know me. I'm definitely in.

thefreakaccident
09-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Colton, just stop posting :wink: .

That's hector... you should know him, as he has been a regular for years, and has been a badass all that timer as well :cool:

The Rack
09-14-2008, 02:10 AM
So we have 7 from Team Funk, approximately 10-15 GE regulars, and about 5 other dudes up from NoCal, so about atleast 25 so far?

Frenger
09-14-2008, 04:25 AM
There's a chance i'll be in SD visiting the family during spring break. If so, i would definitely attend, and bring back some foreign cards or foils for prize support.

Maybe 4 french FoW, or an FBB dual or two.

(If i can't make it, I'll see about mailing you guys some prizes to support this)

The Rack
09-14-2008, 01:30 PM
That would be great Sam.

Everyone please ask all the players you know and vouch for them here.

Thanks.

thefreakaccident
09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I can get several players, and I already know that you guys will be attending...

I can bring like 2-4 people...

Also, I can put up all my duals for prize support.

trueeevil
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM
How far away from San Francisco would this be? I might be able to bring 2-3 people.

Frenger
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
How far away from San Francisco would this be? I might be able to bring 2-3 people.

About a 10-12 hour drive. The traffic in LA can add 2 hours if you don't time the trip right (not be in LA at rush hour)

badjuju
09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm down. I can bring probably another 3-4 OC people.

JACO
09-22-2008, 03:53 PM
You boys could get some prizes (Duals, Moxes, etc.) reliably and relatively cheap from me here:
http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/069356.html

Giving out Duals and staples (Forces, LEDs, Fetches, etc.) would probably attract more people, as the payouts wouldn't be so top heavy and would pay down further in the rankings. That makes people feel better about going to tournaments.

I probably won't be able to make the tourney though. I'd at least want to give you guys a shot at winning back your own money. ; )

-Jaco

thefreakaccident
09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Right on, thanks jason :laugh:

The Rack
09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Jaco for the link, are you still in San Diego or did you move somewhere too?

thefreakaccident
09-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks Jaco for the link, are you still in San Diego or did you move somewhere too?

JASON lives in chicago now (so sad, too bad)...

Anyways, this event is going to be awesome, as I already have a shitton of people that have committed to this thing for better or for worse.

xsockmonkeyx
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Take the train. Srsly.

I'm down for this. 40 duals plz.