PDA

View Full Version : ELD at OTE Wednesdays - Worcester, Mass

ELD
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm teaming up with Over the Edge Games to bring the Legacy community weekly events. The Monday Night Vintage series in Bridgewater, MA has been a tremendous tool for players to improve their games. I look forward to continuing this trend for Legacy in Worcester.

At Over the Edge Games
315 Grafton St.
Worcester, MA 01604 (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=315+Grafton+St.+Worcester,+MA+01604&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr)

Every Wednesday at 6:00
$10 Entry fee
100% Payout in Store Credit
1st 40% of Prize Pool
2st 30% of Prize Pool
3st 20% of Prize Pool
4st 10% of Prize Pool

Straight Swiss - 3 rounds for <9 players, 4 rounds for 9+ players

I will be running the events, as well as Buying/Selling/Trading.

KillemallCFH
09-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Awesome. I'll definitely try to make it out to a couple of these. The Monday Night Vintage events are always fun, and I'm sure these will be too.

J.V.
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
These look good Eric, can't wait. Are they starting this Wednesday?

Ebinsugewa
09-16-2008, 03:26 AM
Would be cool if I didn't get out of class 20 minutes before the event :(

ELD
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll be heading out in a bit. I hope the Legacy community shows strong support and makes these events a key fixture in the tournament scene.

ELD
09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Now that we've had the time to get the word out, I hope this event continues to grow. I'll see you all there tomorrow!

Would be cool if I didn't get out of class 20 minutes before the event :(
We are looking to make this event accessible to as many people as possible. We may be able to move the start time back if enough people want to see that happen. As it is, there's no decklists or anything, so if you show up at 6, we'll be able to get you in. If you are going to be a little late, you can call the store to have us wait.

Over the Edge Games
315 Grafton St.
Worcester, MA 01604

Phone: (508)-757-6411

Madmaniac21
09-24-2008, 10:03 AM
This makes me sad I go to school in buttfucknowhere, western MA :frown:

Mirrislegend
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
If this takes off, I may make a weekly trip out there, just to get my Legacy fix and see some peepz in woosta. Please announce asap how many people you get and/or plans for continuing these tourneys

J.V.
09-24-2008, 10:47 AM
People should really go to these, ELD runs great events, I'm going to these.

ELD
09-24-2008, 09:22 PM
I played this week, as we didn't have a big crowd. I put in an extra $10 of my own money to make the prizes stronger. I won with Dreadstill. Everyone played everyone, and we paid out the $10 in credit to 2nd and the rest to 1st. With my winnings, I picked up some NES/SNES games and put the rest towards a PSP. 2nd place was a Merfolk deck that finished so high mostly due to exceptional play.

OTE will be handing out flyers at pre-releases, so hopefully we'll start to get a stronger crowd. We need to get a solid core of players who show almost every week to make these events a long term success. If you live in the Worcester area, this is a great chance to get in some tournament experience in between large event. If we start having large crowds, I'll happily start to support large events like I do for Vintage!

KillemallCFH
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
People should really go to these, ELD runs great events, I'm going to these.Once I get my license (which should be soon), I plan on making it out to as many of these as possible.

RoddyVR
09-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Yay for more legacy in worcester. I get off the train at about 6:20 (that's what the schedule sais, but they be late sometimes). If this thing gets shifted to 6:30 start time, i'll make it a point to get there every wednesday (not like i do much on wednesday nights anyway).

As is, i might stop by a few times just to see if anyone i dont recognize from TE shows up to Legacy events during the week.

ELD
10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
OTE hit the pre-releases hard, so the word has gotten out to tons of people. Hopefully it will pay off and we'll have our largest Wednesday event so far tonight!

J.V.
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
We had 6 people today with 3 rounds of swiss.
1st/2nd Split: Myself Ugr Dreadstill and 43 Lands we played it out for fun I won 2-0
These tournaments are a lot of fun, more people should start coming, As far as starting around 6:30 like people are asking we tend to start around 6:15-20 just call ahead and I'm sure we'll be able to wait a few minutes for you.
Also, if we have 8+ they will be sanctioned tournaments.

socialite
10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Too bad this is on Wednesday I also have class till 6 PM and even if I got out early there are no trains to get me to Woosta. Wednesday is just a lousy day all around. If it were a Tuesday myself and one other would be able to attend on a regular basis as we live in Dedham and are in need of people to play Legacy with on a regular basis. :frown:

ELD
10-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Top 4:

1st Dreadstill
2nd 43 land
3rd Painter Combo
4th Ichorid

I played the Ichorid list, and it was terrible. There two games in each of my losses that I could have won with a better constructed build. I think dredge is viable if built correctly, but Eternal Witness is no Cephalid Sage!

I look forward to these events growing. I know That's Entertainment has a great crowd, and I'd like to see the real die hard legacy players getting in the extra testing in every Wednesday.

scrumdogg
10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I just started working a daytime, weekday shift (and bought a car) so I hope to be attending soon (and regularly). The more Legacy we have locally - the better, says I. Atm, however, still dealing with mandatory overtime & exhaustion....soon, though, soon.... Quick question, are there regulars who would play except that they don't have a deck? If so, lmk, I can probably bring some extras.

ELD
10-02-2008, 06:01 PM
There have been players who have decks that are not overly competitive. These players might benefit from borrowing more established decks. This week we had a burn player just starting to learn the game again who didn't have Lightning Bolts. Shock is fine and all, but it's certainly not a replacement for Bolt. I'm sure he'd enjoy trying out different decks and getting a feel for what's out there.

J.V.
10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I just started working a daytime, weekday shift (and bought a car) so I hope to be attending soon (and regularly). The more Legacy we have locally - the better, says I. Atm, however, still dealing with mandatory overtime & exhaustion....soon, though, soon.... Quick question, are there regulars who would play except that they don't have a deck? If so, lmk, I can probably bring some extras.
Allan, think I can beat my record of how many times a black deck Orim's Chant's you in one game?

scrumdogg
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Allan, think I can beat my record of how many times a black deck Orim's Chant's you in one game?

Grrrrrr :cool: feel free NOT to do that, ever again, tyvm. That was amazing to watch, and yet, I still could have stabilized had I not drawn the only CIPT land in the deck...note to self, don't play CIPT land unless absolutely necessary...manafixing be damned...

J.V.
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Grrrrrr :cool: feel free NOT to do that, ever again, tyvm. That was amazing to watch, and yet, I still could have stabilized had I not drawn the only CIPT land in the deck...note to self, don't play CIPT land unless absolutely necessary...manafixing be damned...

See, it was an entertaining learning experience. :cool:

ELD
10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
We have a good group building for these events now. With Tom and I being there every week, and two employee's alteast, we're not far from getting sanctioned right there. The store has a ton of singles and games, so you'll never have a shortage of things to spend your credit on.

J.V.
10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah we had 6 last week, not terrible for a weekly we just started having but lets get it up to 8 so tonight it can be sanctioned!

J.V.
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
9 Players, 4 rounds, top 4, Sanctioned
1st Ichorid (ELD)
2nd Dragon Stompy
3rd/4th GWB Rock
3rd/4th Ugr Dreadstill (Me)

scrumdogg
10-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Sorry for the no show but migraine > Magic. Went home early from work and have been dozing on & off, will try to be there next week. I need the tuning up for Binghamton...

ELD
10-14-2008, 11:11 PM
This week is the perfect chance to get in some tournament experience before The Source's Anniversary Tournament! I will have my singles with me, and the store has an unbelievable inventory as well so if you need last minute cards, it's the place to be. Need cash for the trip? I'll be buying all Magic cards. Thank you to everyone who's helped make these events a success so far, let's keep the momentum going!

J.V.
10-16-2008, 01:03 AM
1st: ELD (Ugr Dreadstill)
2nd:Unregged GWB Rock
3rd/4th: Scrumdogg RGB Aggro Loam
3rd/4th: J.V. (Ugr Dreadstill)

ELD
10-30-2008, 12:00 AM
This week we had 11, so we were able to sanction again! I'm hopeful that we'll be able to sustain this kind of support. I made some changes to my SB to adjust to the decks I've been seeing, and they paid off. I took first with Dreadstill. Thanks to everyone who showed. The payout in store credit was:

1st $44
2nd $33
3rd $22
4th $11

J.V.
10-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Yup I played Solidarity going 2-1-1.
Round 1:Solidarity Mirror (Oh how I've missed you!!!)
Game 1:He does his thing and I don't have enough forces or untappers.
Game 2:I Hammafist him with my 3x Reset opener.
Game 3:We go to time but I'm and untapper away from winning and his hand is garbage... Peek <3 On my last turn I just brainfreeze him for 40 and pass oh well it's a draw.
0-0-1

Round 2:43 Lands
Game 1: I get to seven lands and combo without high tide.
Game 2: I kill him in response to a Rule of Law.
1-0-1

Round 3:ADN TES (Force_Of_Will)
Game 1:I Open with Force, Remand, some lands and other junk, he trys to combo I remand an Orim's Chant drawing me another remand, a force on B-Wish is game.
Game 2: I mull to 6 and draw Impulse x3, Island x2 Force keep. He opens with duress takes force, I topdeck force and then impulse into remand, he trys to combo and fails. I win a few turns later.
2-0-1

Round 4:Ugr Dreadstill (ELD)
Game 1:I go off with enough to get through 3 counters, he has 3x Force 2x Daze WTF!? Factory beats get me.
Game 2: I draw a decent hand with a lot of untappers and a high tide, but no business. He gets an early factory and goyf. Dreadnought joins a few turns later and I have to go all in on 4 untappers an brainfreeze and a remand... oh joy luckily he has no hard counters, unluckily my remand finds me polluted delta.
2-1-1
Thats good for 4th which kinda sucked since RoddyVR ended in 3rd because a bye gave him better breakers. that cut my Prize in half... Oh well that's the way it goes.

Anyways Top 4:
ELD: Ugr Dreadstill 4-0-0
Misplayer: Ichorid 3-1-0
RoddyVr: 5c Sliver Survival 2-1-1
J.V.: Solidarity 2-1-1

Misplayer
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I was the Ichorid player. I had a good time and met some good people. I'll be back for sure.

Slay
10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Fuck. If this was on any other day besides Wednesday at 6 I'd totally be hitting this up.
-Slay

ELD
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
We should be back up to speed this week. I missed the last two due to the birth of my first child.

Birth Announcement on TMD (http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=36872.0).

I'm psyched about these being sanctioned. With Wizards making the pro tour accessible via Eternal rating, weekly practice at smaller events is at a premium.

technogeek5000
11-17-2008, 07:25 PM
One day that I dont have karate I think Ill come up here and sling some magically gatherable cards.

KillemallCFH
11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
I plan on making it to this tomorrow.

Note however that there is a pretty good chance that I'll die on the way, as this will be my first time driving on the highway myself.

ELD
11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Note however that there is a pretty good chance that I'll die on the way, as this will be my first time driving on the highway myself.

That is what we Spartans call a glorious death.

KillemallCFH
11-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, I didn't die, but I did get extremely fucking lost. I ended up getting on 93 North instead of 93 South, took some random exit, ended up on 24, and saw signs for Stoughton and just went home, because at that point there was no way I was get to Worcester in time.

Oh well. Maybe next week.

ELD
11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, I didn't die, but I did get extremely fucking lost. I ended up getting on 93 North instead of 93 South, took some random exit, ended up on 24, and saw signs for Stoughton and just went home, because at that point there was no way I was get to Worcester in time.

Oh well. Maybe next week.

Savage.

We were just under the sanctioning minimum of 8, so hopefully you make it next week.

Top 4
1st Dreadstill
2nd Goblins
3rd Dreadstill
4th Solidarity

KillemallCFH
11-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I finally got to make it to one of the these. Good times were had by all. We had 9 (I think) players. Top4 was:
1. Ugw Dreadstill (Forget his name) (4-0)
2. Ugr Dreadstill (ELD) (3-1)
3. Mono U Merfolk (Me) (3-1)
4. Faerie Stompy (VsTheWorld) (3-1)

Mini-report:
Round 1 vs UG Thrash
Game 1 he gets 2 Goyfs and a Goose, I get islandwalkers. I put him to 4 with me at 7. I have 3 damage on the board and he scoops thinking I can kill him. I'll take it. Game 2 I counter a lot of shit big merfolk swing for the win.
Round 2 vs Ichorid
Game 1 Ichorid does Ichorid stuff and I scoop. Game 2 I get a Crypt and he doesn't get any anti-crypt. I make several thousand play mistakes that almost cost me the game, but he doesn't dredge well and I am able to give him an island and walk over it for the win. Game 3 I see a hand of 2 Crypts, a Force, a Daze, and some land. I make sure he never does anything relevant and beat him with fish.
Round 3 vs Ugr Dreadstill (ELD)
Game 1 he lands a Dreadnought at some point and I lose. Game 2 I keep a hand of 2 fetches. He has a Stifle for one of them, which I Force, which he Forces back. I'm stuck on lands while he beats face with Goyf. I was hardly even in these games, even though I resolves CBs both game. I had plenty of answers Game 2, but was too short on land.
Round 4 vs Burn
Game 1 I get merfolk out and beat him. I'm pretty sure I landed a late CB which made sure his burn couldn't finish me off. Game 2 I land some early merfolk, which I let die. I eventually land a CB and have lots of blue blasts in hand. I play out a Lord at some point, who dies to Flame Javelin. I eventually land a Cold-Eyed Selkie and a Reej and draw unfair amounts of cards while countering anything he throws at me.

ForceofWill
12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
This was some of the most fun I've had playing tournament magic in awhile. Just threw together a decent deck and added some crazy card choices. It's nice to play stress free magic. Shame on any of you who could come and didn't.

Top 4:
1 UGwr Thresh (Me)
2 UW Dreadstill (ELD)
3 UGwb Thresh (Josh)
4 Death and Taxes (sorry I'm terrible with names)

Also I plan on winning GP Chicago.

ELD
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
You completely wrecked me with Cryptic Command. Dillon (4th place) has $6 in store credit that he can pick up the next Wednesday. None of the OTE employees played this week, as they are swamped this week. We still had a good event, but I'd like to see more players. For those of you who in the Worcester area who aren't attending, what has stopped you from making the trip down on Wednesday nights?

socialite
12-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I hope this keeps going. I plan on attending these regularly once my current school semester is over.

ELD
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
They are definitely going to keep going. We've got a solid core of players who love the format. Our goal now is to grow. Since the prize support scales with attendance, the more people who play, the better the prizes get. I've picked up at least a couple hundred dollars worth of video games with prize money so far, and that's with fairly tame attendance. Once we get to the next level, and we have consistent larger crowds, the prizes will be crazy.

Ragnork
12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I wish I could go more regularly, I had a lot of fun playing last night, even though my less than competitive deck got trounced pretty badly by everything other than a sub-par Dreadstill build. Unfortunately I live down near New Bedford, and getting up to Worcester and back on a Wednesday evening is something I might only be able to do occasionally.

My friend has a more competitive deck, and he'll be coming with me next time I'm able to make it up. Hopefully we'll be able to play soon!

Misplayer
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I usually go to these and finish 0-X, so you're guaranteed at least 1 win!

RoddyVR
12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I took my deck with me to work today to try to get to this thing as early as possible.

My train doesnt get into worcester till 6:20, and it'll take me a couple minutes after that to get to the store from the station (dad giving me a lift). So if you guys havent started by 6:15, give it a few more minutes and i'll be there.
If you actualy do start on time, sign me up, and i'll just take a round one loss or something. Will call at 6pm if the train is running late.

ForceofWill
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
9 players

1st UGwr Thresh (Me) 4-0
2nd Ugw Dreadstlill (ELD) 3-1
3rd Ugr Dreadstill (JV) 3-1
4th UGB SOMETHING??? (Josh) 2-2

Some new faces still a lot of fun and 100% payout. If you can come please do.

Bane of the Living
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
This makes me sad I go to school in buttfucknowhere, western MA :frown:

This is why going to school online rules the day.

9 players

1st UGwr Thresh (Me) 4-0
2nd Ugw Dreadstlill (ELD) 3-1
3rd Ugr Dreadstill (JV) 3-1
4th UGB SOMETHING??? (Josh) 2-2

Some new faces still a lot of fun and 100% payout. If you can come please do.

They let you back in there? Now if they'll just lift Derek's ban..

Maybe Ill show up for this with a friend sometime after work.

J.V.
12-12-2008, 09:25 PM
This is why going to school online rules the day.

They let you back in there? Now if they'll just lift Derek's ban..

Maybe Ill show up for this with a friend sometime after work.

Ben's banned for That's Entertainment, this is at Over the Edge, it's like 5 minutes away.

KillemallCFH
12-17-2008, 10:51 PM
8 players today. Top 4 was:

1. Dragon Stompy (unregged)
2. Ugb Thresh (VsTheWorld)
3. Gwbr Enchantress (me)
4. 5c Sliver Survival (RoddyVR)

Other decks were Ugr Dreadstill, a Ugb deck that I think was basically Team America minus Sinkholes, plus Dreadnoughts (I think he played Top also), MUC, and a T2 mono-red deck.

As usual, good times were had by all. Unfortunately, the next two Wednesdays fall on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, so I'm not sure if Eric will even bother holding them.

ELD
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm going to discuss options with Andy. I'll let you guys know over the next few days what the plan is.

Thank you to everyone who has been supporting these events. We've got a good group of skilled players, now we need to get the new blood in there on a consistent basis. This kind of event is the perfect environment to learn in, as the events are laid back and fun.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Ebinsugewa
12-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm home next semester and will be playing these from now on and hopefully loaning some decks to old friends. See you guys soon!

J.V.
12-17-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm home next semester and will be playing these from now on and hopefully loaning some decks to old friends. See you guys soon!

Well you just made my week Brendan! Now we can keep the dream alive together lol! :cool:

ForceofWill
12-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Sorry I didn't make it this week was at a wake. As for Ebin excellent news it has been ages since I've seen you.

ELD
12-23-2008, 01:06 PM
There will be no Wednesday Night Legacy on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve. The tournaments will resume January 7th.

ELD
01-07-2009, 03:05 AM
These events are back! I hope everyone had a great holiday season, and now it's time to get back to playing some Legacy. I've picked up a ton of new cards over the holidays, so if anyone is looking for specific cards, feel free to send me a PM or contact me however.

ELD
01-08-2009, 12:09 AM
We had 11, with a car load of people no showing because of the weather. I definitely feel like it's necessary to work on my sideboard now. The decks are getting really good, and there's not an easy match up in the room anymore. It was a great time as always, and I'm glad to see the whole group getting progressively better. Looks like 2009 is going to be a great year for Legacy!

VsTheWorld
01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Yea my car sucks as far as handling in any sort of bad weather. Ice + bad tires + weak brakes = bad times.

Jaynel
01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
1. 4c Survival (4c)
2. 5c Survival (5c Slivers)
3. Dreadstill
4. Dreadstill

RoddyVR signed my Slivers, so I'm super happy about that.

ELD
01-08-2009, 12:23 AM
1. 4c Survival (good cards)
2. 5c Survival (Slivers)
3. Dreadstill?
4. Dreadstill?

Correct. I'll get my act together next week and start posting directly from OTE.

RoddyVR
01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
1. 4c Survival (good cards)
2. 5c Survival (Slivers)
3. Dreadstill
4. Dreadstill

RoddyVR signed my Slivers, so I'm super happy about that.

Didnt realize it was 2 dreadstill decks for 3rd and 4th... glad i never had to play either one.
I dont like the contrast that "(good cards)" vs "(Slivers)" implies. To counter what that implies i will note that my slivers were the only deck that went 3-0 of the 11 people there. The last round (against Aaron's Survival) tie or better was 1st place, and loss was second... all i realy had to do was not rush through the third game and it would have been a tie to time cause he didnt kill me till we were in turns, and we didnt start turns untill a minute after time for the round had actualy run out.
(maybe i'm just sensitive about the whole "slivers arent good cards" attitudes that some people have, and see slights against them when there isnt one).

I will admit though that all three of my wins, one of the games was mana screw on the opponents side.
Greg mulled to 5 game 1, and still only had a scrubland (i think) and a factory by turn 4 or 5... couldnt cast anything cause the colors were wrong even after he drew the factory. Game two my harmonic helped me get out of a wheel+field (the one that prevents all damage, and dies if anything goes to yard) lock, and then legion took it home.
Brent (white stax) got mana screwed game one also. And again game two harmonic kept him down and then legion came in for the finish.

I think Ben (thresh with red) had a game where he was mana screwed too, though i cant remember the details now. Though i did realize that i realy should have some graveyard hate in the deck... two 5/6 goyfs dont give you much time to deal with them when you're getting your slivers bolted.

ForceofWill
01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I got third and I was playing Cryptic Thresh. 3-1 losing to savage mana screw agaisnt roddy.

J.V.
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I'll be back at OTE this Wednesday and every Wednesday for a while seeing that I'm back at school.

RoddyVR
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Assuming the arctic weather doesnt freeze the trains to the tracks, i should be there by 6:20 today.

ELD
01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm going to try and get there earlier than normal this week. I do have some of the harder to find old stuff like Moat, Berserk x4, Chains of Mephestophles x2 and other stuff from collections I've picked up recently.

J.V.
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Berserk Stompy <3

ELD
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
1st Ben Lucas Cryptic Command Thresh (4-0)
2nd Eric Dupuis Dreadstill (3-1)
3rd Kevin Peterson BGW Rock (3-1)
4th Tom MacDonald TES (3-1)

Thanks to everyone who showed. We're gaining steam in the new year. There's no reason to not be playing Legacy on a Wednesday night if you're anywhere near Worcester.

rockout
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Have you guys thought of holding bigger tournaments similar to Hadley? I live roughly an hour away and if I ever get job I know what my new Wednesday schedule will be.

MikeyFlowers
01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi guys, is showing up just a bit late working for anybody else? I work in Hatfield so If I get on the highway right at five I should be able to almost make it on time but not quite. I want to start making this a weekly thing though. I buy a ton of cards from OTE on ebay it'd be nice to actually see the shop.

RoddyVR
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
My train gets in to worcester at 6:20, its late more often then not, and it takes a few minutes to get from the station to the store... i have yet to show up so late that they're already starting the tourny. Most times i've gotta wait around for the start, not sure if this is BECAUSE i show up late, but i dont think you'd have a problem... especialy if you call the store when you're on your way the first few times, so you can get used to the timing without worrying about missing the first round.

MikeyFlowers
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Awesome! I'll def be there next week. I'll take your suggestion and give a call to let them know I'm on the way. This is going to be sweet.

ELD
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
We've very laid back. The start time is 6:00, but we wait for people if they call or let us know online. Most weeks we actually start at 6:30. Of course, if we have a full house and no one has called to say they'll be coming, we'll just begin, but most weeks we have someone to wait for. We've been getting 11-12 per week, and I'd really like to see that number increase even more. We have a great group of players. I'm not just talking about them being solid players with a good understanding of all things Legacy. I'm talking about the people themselves. We have a genuinely good group of people, who are actually fun to hang out with. Anyone, from a Legacy Pro, to a first timer, would have a good time at these events.

RoddyVR
01-15-2009, 08:49 AM
I just want to share one of my most wasted hands. I hate Storm decks.

turn 1: land, aether vial.
turn 2; land, gemhide sliver, vial in plated sliver
turn 3: land, Sliver Legion, vial in Crystaline sliver
turn 4, i could have attacked for 23 with just those slivers, but actualy had muscle in hand... making it turn 4 attack for 31.

Too bad Tom killed me with stupid tendrils after i put the legion into play. What a waste of a perfect hand.
Oddly enough i realized that my best answer to tendrills decks is the same as my answer to burn decks: Darkheart sliver. If they dont go off turn 1, then turn 1 plated (or vial with plated in hand), turn 2 darkheart, should most of the time be enough to make it tough for them to get a lethal storm count.

Mirrislegend
01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
1st Ben Lucas Cryptic Command Thresh (4-0)
2nd Eric Dupuis Dreadstill (3-1)
3rd Kevin Peterson BGW Rock (3-1)
4th Tom MacDonald TES (3-1)

Are the decklists posted anywhere? I'm interested in seeing what Cryptic Thresh looks like...

ELD
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
We don't require deck lists, as the event is very casual. The list is 4c, with Cryptic Command to wreck CB lock, tap down all blockers, counter and draw, or my personal favorite - bounce my Dreadnought while countering my Standstill. The deck also has Mystic Enforcer, which is good in the stalled boards that Thresh mirrors often get. I think it's still being tuned, but perhaps Ben will post his current list.

MikeyFlowers
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I was going to bring Ur Dreadstill, is that deck already being run at these events? I have SwansThresh and Landstill too, I could bring one of those instead to diversify the pool?

ELD
01-15-2009, 01:05 PM
My Dreadstill list is UGr. Personally, I haven't even played vs SwansThresh, but any deck is welcome.

Have you guys thought of holding bigger tournaments similar to Hadley? I live roughly an hour away and if I ever get job I know what my new Wednesday schedule will be.

I definitely plan to hold some larger Legacy tournaments this year.

J.V.
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Myself and Ben are the other people who play Dreadstill from time to time, my list is also Ugr and Ben runs Ugw.

Rood
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I may bring Woohb to one of these events ELD, I really need to show up for one of these.

MikeyFlowers
01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Guys, I'm coming out for tonight's event. I'll be there just a little after 6 as I don't get out of work till 5 and I'm coming all the way over from Hatfield. What is the parking situation there? Do I just park on the street? Is the city going to tow me due to a snow parking ban or something? Thanks.

J.V.
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi Guys, I'm coming out for tonight's event. I'll be there just a little after 6 as I don't get out of work till 5 and I'm coming all the way over from Hatfield. What is the parking situation there? Do I just park on the street? Is the city going to tow me due to a snow parking ban or something? Thanks.

There is a parking lot in front of the store, you'll be fine.

ELD
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Rank Name Points
1 Eric Dupuis 7 Dreadstill
2 Ben Lucas 7 Elves!
3 Josh Cicio 6 Thresh
4 Jason Richardson 6 Dreadstill

RoddyVR
01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Even though i lost miserably and completely yesterday, i got my deck's two best "combos" against dreadstill to go off.

His turn 2 dreadnought, turn 3 standstill.
My turn 1 vial, turn 2 survival.

On turn 4 he attacks second time with the nought. I block with dark heart sliver (with a plated i play) and sac the darkheart to stay at one life. then next turn take vial up to three, activate it, and force him to break his own standstill with a brainstorm in an attempt to find a stifle effect for the vial activation, cause its gonna bring in a harmonic that's gonna kill his nought.

Still lost that game.

Next game got crystaline in past a blind counterballance, then played root sliver two turns later. countertop vs crystalline+root = prety much useless.

Funnest match ever.

ELD
01-28-2009, 03:02 AM
With the GP fast approaching, it seems that Legacy has more excitement surrounding it than ever. With 3 locals making Top 8 at The Grid, including the overall winner, OTE is the best place for playing against experienced tournament winners. We have a great crowd, and we're hoping to grow even larger. I recommend everyone give themselves enough time to deal with the weather, and anyone running late should call so we don't start without them. We aim to start at 6, but we can hold the event until 6:30 if we are waiting on someone who's called in.

ELD
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Eric Dupuis Dreadstill
2nd Roddy V Sliver Survival
3rd Ben Lucas Goyf Sligh
4th Tom MacDonald ANT

I played against Burn, Goyf Sligh and ANT. Even with lower attendance due to horrible weather, we still had a great time, and got in some much needed testing. I showed up early (though the weather did slow me up a ton) to get cards to those who needed them, as well as buying cards for those who need cash for the trip to Chicago. Hope the group is back in full force next week - weekly testing in a tournament setting is absolutely essential to reaching your potential.

J.V.
01-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Lies, I played TES. :tongue:

ELD
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
We had 9 players this week, so it was 4 rounds of sanctioned swiss.

1st Eric Dupuis Dreadstill
2nd Jason Richardson Goyf Sligh
3rd Ben Lucas Dreadstill
4th Scott Bluementhal UGbw Thresh Survival

The whole Top 4 had 9 points, as the field was very competitive. I totally lucksacked, as I lost in the first round, but then caught the bye, managed to beat Landstill 2-0, and got paired vs the only 9 pointer (Ben) in the final round 2-0.

My first round loss was to Goyf sligh, and was very disappointing. I won Game 1 with counterbalance, top and a floating Goyf. Factory beats was slow, but there's no way I'm losing if I can keep a 2cc card on top.

Game 2 I get down an early counterbalance, but see zero Brainstorm or Tops, and I hit no blind flips. I also draw all non basics, and eventually die to double Price of Progress.

Game 3 I keep a 1 land, 2x Top hand. It goes absolutely no where, and he draws 2x Krosan Grip. I eventually die to some burn. The highlight was him casting Price of Progress when I only had one non-basic, and he had 2 or 3.

KillemallCFH
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Scott was playing UGbw Thresh, not Survival.

And I should've been there playing bad green cards, but unfortunately one of my professors thought it would be a good idea to make homework due at 6:00 the night before. Maybe next time I'll actually get it done ahead of time so I can sling some cardboard.

ELD
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the correction. Hope these pick up even more momentum as we approach the Grand Prix. OTE had some insanely underpriced singles out this week. Insane as in sub-wholesale insane. To anyone who hasn't shown up yet, consider this an invitation. New faces are always welcome.

ELD
02-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Top 4

1st Brent - UGBW Thresh
2nd Jason - Goyf Sligh
3rd Roddy - Sliver
4th Josh - UGR Thresh

ELD
02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Name Points

Dupuis, Eric L 10
Blumenthal, Scott T 10
Ruban, Roddy V 9
Lukas, Ben S 9
Blumenthal, Jeremy 6
Cicio, Josh P 6
Rodriguez, Brandon 6
Richardson, Jason o 6
Gilmore, Brent 3
MacDonald, Thomas 3
Atkins, Justin 3

VsTheWorld
02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Top 4 decks:

1. Eric Dupuis - Ugr Dreadstill
2. Scott Blumenthal (me) - Ugbw Thresh
3. Roddy Ruban - Sliver Survival
4. Ben Lukas - Fluffy Fury of the Seven Seas or whatever the hell it's called

KillemallCFH
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Other decks:

Blumenthal, Jeremy 6 -Enchantress
Cicio, Josh P 6 - Evolution Thresh
Rodriguez, Brandon 6 - Elves
Richardson, Jason o 6 - Landstill
Gilmore, Brent 3 - Landstill
MacDonald, Thomas 3 - Goyf Sligh
Atkins, Justin 3 - ??

ELD
02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe Justin Atkins was playing Mono Black Control. I saw some targeted creature removal and a Viscera when he was sitting next to me.

My quick report:

Round 1 Goyf Sligh:

Game 1: I get EE at 1 to blow up his quick start of 3 one drops. I spellsnare a Marauder, and get counterlock which is followed by the win quickly.

Game 2: I attack his mana base, and I'm able to keep him pinned down. I get a bunch of basics, and keep my life total high. There's no way I'm in range of any kind of burn, and my creatures are better than his this game.

Round 2 Landstill:

Game 1 I scoop when we both have 3 cards in hand, full mana bases, but he has Jace. I stood under a standstill for a long time, in favorable position, but discarding Goyf and Dreadnought over blue cards proved to be incorrect. I scooped even though I had realistic chance to win, because the match was taking a long time, and I felt I had a stronger chance to win Game 2 and 3 than to win Game 1. If I did manage to win Game 2, then I'd essentially be guaranteed a draw at the worst, as his deck is unlikely to be able to kill me quickly.

Game 2: Very back and forth action, with my creatures getting killed, and Meddling Mage naming Stifle. I managed to beat him down to 3 with a Trinket Mage, and he has 3x Fetch Lands in play.

He goes for EE at 3 to kill my trinket mage.
I REB his Mage, so I can stifle.
He sacs a fetch land, bringing him to 2, so he can counter back.
I spellsnare his coutnerspell, leaving me free to stifle the EE and swing for the win.

Game 3: We only have 6 minutes, and I play as aggressively as I can. I spellsnare his turn 2 Meddling Mage, and follow it with a Tarmogoyf of my own. I manage to get a dreadnought to stick just before time is called, and it takes it home. Clock management was the story of this whole match. If I had spent 6 more minutes on Game 1, the match would have been an 1-0-1 loss. On top of that, I would have been forced to play super-aggressively in Game 2, and landstill often drags those games out and make you pay. This is one of the most important matches I've played in Legacy. Clock management in Vintage is huge, and I get to work on it all the time. Having a feel for exactly how long you should let things go badly in Legacy is something I'll be working on for a long time.

Round 3 Bant Thresh:

Game 1: This game isn't really close. It was either manabase destruction or early counterlock, but I was in no danger of losing.

Game 2: He has Trygon Predator, I get Tarmogoyf. I have to FoW Rhox War Monk, or I'll be losing the race badly. I do manage to kill a counterbalance with a REB, despite him having Top out. The game goes back and forth, but I can't catch up to the damage from Predator without Dreadnought.

Game 3: Engineered Explosives is helpful in this game, as are my REBs. Land destruction also keeps him off of key colors. A long war of attrition is eventually won by a Trinket Mage.

Round 4 UGbw Thresh:

Game 1: The game ends with him having zero permanents, me with counterlock and a Dreadnought. It was not close.

Game 2: He plays a land and passes turn 1. I drop Top turn 1, with 3x Counterbalances in hand. He drops turn 2 Counterbalance, which allows him to blindflip yet another counterbalance to counter mine. The game goes forever, with him hitting like 5 blindflips. I'm right on the edge of pulling back in the whole time, as he has no way to manipulate his library. I can't keep favorable board condition, and evenutally I scoop to have enough time for Game 3.

Game 3: We have about 10 minutes left, plenty of time. After a few wars of attrition, I manage to get a dreadnought to stick and win a minute before time is called.

Thank you to everyone who showed, and has been supporting these events. I do want to see these events hit the next level. The Vintage events in Bridgewater that I organize have been hitting 14+ and I think we should be able to hit that as well. We have a core group of 7 that is here every week, so it doesn't take much to start getting into the mid-teens. The ideal turn out would be 14-16, as it's 5 rounds, and the prize pool would get huge:

16 Players:
1st $64
2nd $48
3rd $32
4th $16

Over The Edge has access to all their cards sold online at the store, so it's the most comprehensive inventory of cards I've ever seen. If you want cards, you can just ask and they'll get them for you. If they don't have it, they can track it down too! They also have an excellent selection of video games. They are literally like Funcoland used to be - used games dating back to the NES (even some atari) all the way up to the PS3 and XBox360. The prices are great - I spend a good chunk of my credit on video games from them.

RoddyVR
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
How can one daze be more effective then 3 FoW?
I figured i'd try counters for a week, so I put in a single daze into my deck yesterday (along with 4 brainstorms) and dazed like 4 or 5 turn 1/2 plays. Had 3 FoW in side board, which i brought in all but one postboard game, and never saw a single one. Randomness sucks.

Also, Shackles is by far the most annoying artifact ever, expecialy when combined with freaking recurring EE.

ELD
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Jason with Merfolk
2nd Brent with Thresh
3rd Ben with Natural Order
4th Eric with Dreadstill

ELD
03-25-2009, 10:42 PM
1 Richardson, Jason o 12 Merfolk
2 Gilmore, Brent 9 Thresh?
3 Cicio, Josh P 9 Thresh?
4 Dupuis, Eric L 9 UGR Dreadstill
5 Artian, Gregory p 6 Eva Green?
6 Malatesta, Nicholas A 6 ELVES!
7 MacDonald, Thomas 6 NLU
8 Speer, Kiel 6 Eva Green
9 Peterson, Kevin C 3 ?
10 Lukas, Ben S 3 NLU
11 Ruban, Roddy V 0 Sliver Survival

I didn't make note of the decks everyone was playing at the event, so please help me out with filling in the blanks. We've been hitting decent turn outs every week, and we're gaining new players.

Misplayer
03-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I (Brent) was playing It's the Fear! w/Confidant, Cicio had some wacky UGrw Thresh list, Greg was playing Ug(r?) Dreadstill with Painter/Grindstone and no Goyf, and Kevin had The Rock. It was a fun night as usual with good players and good decks aplenty. Props for good breakers into 2nd place! Also, Ben sucks.

J.V.
04-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Today we had 11 players:
Top 4 after four rounds of swiss:
1st: Ben Lukas (ForceOfWill) 4-0 Geddon Stax
2nd: Eric Dupuis (ELD) 3-1 Ugb Countertop
3rd: Brent Gilmore (Misplayer) 3-1 Ugbw Countertop???
4th: Thomas MacDonald (J.V.) 3-1 Ugr Dreadstill

Misplayer
04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I was actually rocking MUC

J.V.
05-06-2009, 10:26 PM
11 Players tonight:
Top 4:
1st: Eric Dupuis (ELD) Nassif CB/T 4-0
2nd: ??? Combo Elves 3-1
3rd: Thomas MacDonald (J.V.) Ugr Dreadstill 3-1
4th: Greg (Unregged) Combo Survival 3-1

ELD
05-21-2009, 12:19 AM
I lost in the finals this week to Merfolk. I made a swap to a Nassif style list a few weeks ago, and it's been running great. Today, I found a severe disadvantage compared to my previous Dreadstill list - not having Red was brutal! Losing Rebs, and Firespout left me in a race, and the only way I can see winning is blowing up their Lord of Atlantis mid combat to get some favorable blocks. Daze was also much worse than Spellsnare in this match up. Overall, I've found that the Nassif style list has very lopsided match ups vs most decks, but a few match ups that are not great. Dreadstill, by comparison, has game vs everything.

KillemallCFH
05-21-2009, 11:38 AM
The rest of the meta was:
1. ??? - Merfolk
2. ELD - NLU
3. Misplayer - UWg Landstill
4. Me - Natural Order Standstill
5-7. ??? - Survival (w/ Saffi/Loyal Retainers/Auriok Champion)
5-7. ??? - Enchantress
5-7. ??? - ???
8. VsTheWorld - Enchantress

Apparently blue is better than green.

ELD
05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
From memory, hopefully the names are spelled correctly.

1. Nick Malatesta - Merfolk
2. ELD - NLU
4. Me - Natural Order Standstill
5-7. Greg Artim - Survival (w/ Saffi/Loyal Retainers/Auriok Champion)
5-7. Allan Autino - Enchantress
5-7. Roddy Ruban - Slivers

HammafistRoob
05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
From memory, hopefully the names are spelled correctly.

1. Nick Malatesta - Merfolk
2. ELD - NLU
4. Me - Natural Order Standstill (really Jeremy)
5-7. Greg Artim - Survival (w/ Saffi/Loyal Retainers/Auriok Champion)
5-7. Allan Autino - Enchantress
5-7. Roddy Ruban - Slivers

Eric is so good, he can play 2 decks.:eek:

Dreadstill, by comparison, has game vs everything.
Nah that deck blows. It scoops to Shatter. :wink:

ELD
06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
We've been getting a good turn out as of late. The events are being run with the stores computer, so I keep forgetting to post results here, but they are getting reported to the DCI. This is the best place to test for the big event this Sunday and I'm bringing cake this week. See you guys tonight.

RoddyVR
06-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Wish i'd known about the cake in advance, would have showed up twice to get two pieces. That was some good cake. Going X-1 (for second place, ye with a bye, but still) for like the 6th or seventh tourny in a row is just bonus.

I need to remember to take a good look at OTE's ebay listings so i know what i can get the next time i get some credit there, trying to remember which cards i might want to have Al go check upstairs is too hard.

On a related note, if anyone is interested in trading me an english City of Traitors for the foreign one (spanish, or portuguise i'd guess, not sure realy, should have asked yesterday) i got yesterday, find me on sunday in boxboro.

ELD
06-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Wish i'd known about the cake in advance, would have showed up twice to get two pieces. That was some good cake.

I'll pass on the complement to my wife :D

ELD
07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I have not been posting the results lately, and I think that might have to do with the slight decline in attendance. Last week we missed sanctioning the event, so we need to get back up to the 12-16 player crowds we were getting before.

These events still going on, and it's the perfect place to get experience for the fantastic events at the GP! In fact, I'm going to up the ante - If the person who wins this Wednesday's event wins either the:

Friday event for a set of CE or the
Sunday event for Mint Black Border German Revised Set

I'll give them $100 in store credit to Over the Edge Games!

Mr. Durden
07-30-2009, 01:11 AM
I'll def start going to these. I've been going to that's entertainment for a while now and would love more legacy tournaments.

Moby Dick
08-05-2009, 06:15 AM
i wish i heard about this sooner. ill be there tonight.

RoddyVR
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I should probably stop spending any money at all on games.... but i'll probably be there tonight (what can you do, its an addiction).

ELD
08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
We had a stronger turn out this week, with 10 experienced players fighting for $100 in store credit.

1 Daniel Byrne MERFOLK
2 Eric Dupuis NLU
3 Josh Cicio NAYA AGGRO
4 Lance Remy WHITE STAX
5 Matt Orfanello EVA GREEN?
6 Joe Roy MERFOLK
7 Todd Cochran DRAGON STOMPY?
8 Allan Autino DREADSTILL
9 Chris Monroe MONO GREEN
10 Timothy Westover NAYA AGGRO?

It looks like we're back on track. The competition was excellent, and I was handed a loss early on by Merfolk.

J.V.
08-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Four more weeks and I'm back in Worcester for the school year, I can't wait to sling some cardboard!

Moby Dick
08-06-2009, 12:44 AM
6 Joe Roy DREADSTILL?

merfolk, I just failed to see many creatures against you, the noughts came out of the board

ELD
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
My bad, I really need to figure out a way to get the decks everyone played w/o relying on my memory :D

Moby Dick
08-06-2009, 06:40 PM
My bad, I really need to figure out a way to get the decks everyone played w/o relying on my memory :D

ask and write down?

ELD
08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I think I'll leave a sheet of paper up front, and have people write it down if they want. Since I play in the event, knowing what everyone is playing is a bit of an advantage. This way, people can write it down whenever, and not have to worry about it ruining a surprise factor.

sunshine
08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Glad to see these are going well. I should be able to start making the trip once mid September rolls around.

MikeyFlowers
08-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Do they ever run weekend legacy events? I always want to come to the Wednesday events and usually even bring my cards to work but by the end of the day I'm just not up for driving an hour twenty at 80+ mph to get there on time (twenty minutes late technically, I always called ahead though).

wweenieking
08-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Thats entertainment in Worcester is where we play on weekends. On sundays, average between 20 and 30 people a week.

scrumdogg
08-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Thats entertainment in Worcester is where we play on weekends. On sundays, average between 20 and 30 people a week.

Also, good atmosphere, good singles at good prices and good prize support, well worth coming out for.

sunshine
08-07-2009, 09:01 PM

What time does this start?

wweenieking
08-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Noontime on the dot, store opens at 10

scrumdogg
08-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Anyone coming in from the train can PM Worcester locals for a ride, we are a pretty laid back bunch.

Mr. Durden
08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Just out of curiosity is there anyone who frequents these who doesn't play at That's E? Based on the last results posted I'd say no but I'm just trying to see if there's anybody I don't already know. Will try to make next one I can.

ELD
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I haven't been to TE in years, and I'm at OTE every week.

J.V.
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
So I made my return to these tonight,
1st UW Fish 3-1 (Lurker)
2nd Ugr Dreadstill 3-1 (J.V.)
3rd 4c NLU 2-2 (ELD)
4th Merfolk 2-2 (on the source, but I don't know his source name...)

wweenieking
09-03-2009, 12:52 AM
About time your back Tom. Ill be there next week for sure.

ForceofWill
09-03-2009, 04:28 AM
I might start coming now that Tom is back.

Misplayer
09-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I plan to be appearing at these regularly again as well, though not just because Tom is back.

J.V.
09-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I might start coming now that Tom is back.

<3

ELD
10-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Thank you to everyone who supported these events. Over The Edge is closing their Worcester location, so there will be no more Wednesday Night Legacy.

KillemallCFH
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Thank you to everyone who supported these events. Over The Edge is closing their Worcester location, so there will be no more Wednesday Night Legacy.:frown:

My brother and I haven't been able to make it for a while, but this is saddening news. Much thanks to you and OTE for holding these.

J.V.
10-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, this really sucks!

RoddyVR
10-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Wow. This sucks... just when i thought this evening would be less of a waste then yesterdays was.

Misplayer
10-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, this really sucks!

QFT. It was good while it lasted.

Moby Dick
10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Thank you to everyone who supported these events. Over The Edge is closing their Worcester location, so there will be no more Wednesday Night Legacy.

wish i read this before i showed up the other day...