PDA

View Full Version : [Budget Deck] Monogreen Treefolk

xTrainx
09-14-2008, 08:23 PM
This is my budget Monogreen Treefolk, only cost me about 20$ to make.

---------

x20 Forest

x3 Wanderer's Twig(Explained Later)
x4 Treefolk Harbinger

x3 Naturalize/Krosan Grip(Naturalize for a faster deck, Krosan for not)
x1 Evolution Charm(Explained Later)
x1 Scryb Ranger(Explained Later)
x4 Bosk Banneret
x2 Lignify

x3 Gilt-Leaf Seer
x4 Recross the Paths

x4 Dauntless Dourbark
x4 Leaf-Crowned Elder

x4 Reach of Branches

x3 Orchard Warden

------------------

The deck is versatile because:

It either aggro's with Dourbark, stacked with Recross dropping free forests, and Leaf Crowned dropping Treefolk. Almost always a 6/6 when played, due to Harbinger searching him, Bosk dropped, and 3 Mana on turn 3. I see him as a counter to Goyf.

It can prevent Burn simply because Treefolk are fat and Pyroclasm resistant, as well as Orchard Warden coming out Turn 4/5/6 to start healing me.

Only issues I see are Landstill decks and High Tide decks. Against Elf it has trouble as well, but not so much as long as I rush out the Dourbark.

Reach allows it to play a longer drawn out game, as well as just being fuel to amp Dourbark up.

-------

Scryb Ranger: Infinite Forests for Reach.

Evolution Charm: Elf decks and other ground based decks can't stop the 15/15 from flying in. Play two if wanted.

Wanderer's Twig: is a nice shuffle effect, as well as pulling out a land for w/e or for a reach.

Gilt-Leaf Seer: Synergy with Leaf-Crowned, allows me to drop a free Treefolk most of the time.

It could use Timber Protecter, and other cards, but this is the cheapest version that actually can do something.

THEchubbymuffin
09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Wanderer's Twig: is a nice shuffle effect, as well as pulling out a land for w/e or for a reach.

I can't see a point to having a shuffle effect in your deck. Also high tide isn't the only type of combo deck.

xTrainx
09-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I really don't know why I'm just too lazy to find another card thats cheap and better so I put down a random reason -_-

raharu
09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I really don't know why I'm just too lazy to find another card thats cheap and better so I put down a random reason -_-
Rampant Growth or Land Grant.

Glit-Leaf Seer is better as Mirri's Guile.

This deck's curve is heug. I don't know how to fix that outside of playing a different deck. Maybe some sort of Exploration, Tithe, Land Grant engine? iDunno. You'll probably want something more akin to 23ish lands too. Maybe 24 or 25.

xTrainx
09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Mirri's Guile is definately better than Gilt Leaf.
I also need some form of draw power which I'm not sure if it exists for monogreen.
Rampant Growth is a good replacer as well, as is Land Grant.

And to those people who say: It won't work against X, this is meant as more of a casual deck.

raharu
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Mirri's Guile is definately better than Gilt Leaf.
I also need some form of draw power which I'm not sure if it exists for monogreen.
Rampant Growth is a good replacer as well, as is Land Grant.

And to those people who say: It won't work against X, this is meant as more of a casual deck.
Draw Power: Life from the Loam (not exactly budget, but hay), Citanul Woodreaders, Greater Good, HARMONIZE, Nantuko Cultivator (with the aforementioned Tithe, Land Grant, Exploration engine, and btw this sounds interesting with Life from the Loam, but... the engine starts to eat the deck), Overbeing of Myth, Yavimaya Elder, and that's all you have in MonoGreen. Well, at least that's all that's viable.

Of all that I'd chose Harmonize and/ or Citanul Woodreaders.

xTrainx
09-15-2008, 12:02 AM
I think that I would choose Harmonize over the others, due to the fact that I just want to get a bit of draw to replenish my hand lategame.

cRUMMYdUMMY
09-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Why don't you try something like this?

Search for Tommorow actually works here since all your threats are 4 or 5 CMC. Sakura Tribe-Elder works better with Dauntless Dourbark and Imperiosaur.

You need at least 24 mana sources since you HAVE to hit a land drop every turn or you're screwed.

Weatherseed Treefolk is simply better than Reach of Branches since it's an engine in itself.

Eternal Witness lets you recur Harmonize or the best creature in your yard. Also counts as a Shaman, so hits play for free with Leaf-Crowned Elder.

Imperiosaur is a 5/5 for 4 mana. If you have the money, you can replace him with Ravenous Baloth or some other better creature.

Lands
24 Forests

Acceleration
4 Search for Tommorow
4 Sakura Tribe-Elder

Card Engine
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Harmonize
4 Eternal Witness

Threats
4 Imperiosaur
4 Dauntless Dourbark
4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
4 Weatherseed Treefolk

Willoe
09-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Not Imperiosaur... Try another card that synergizes with the rest of the deck.

Bosk Banneret for tempo, perhaps.

xTrainx
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
From what I've heard and thought about, here's a revised list:

x24 Forest

x3 Search for Tomorrow
x4 Treefolk Harbinger
x3 Mirri's Guile

x3 Rampant Growth
x4 Bosk Banneret
x3 Naturalize
x1 Evolution Charm(Idk, its just won me so many games)

x4 Leaf Crowned Elder
x4 Dauntless Dourbark
x3 Harmonize

x2 Orchard Warden/Timber Protecter(Orchard is cheaper to buy, but Timber is better by far)

Knuckles29
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Make Harmonize into Masked Admirers

Look into Equipment, very little of your stuff has trample/evasion
-Warhammer
-Horned Helm on a budget
-Hoversail/Wispersilk Cloak/LIghtning Greeves
-Or get Rancor

What about Hailstorm vs Goblins?

Ultimately I'd try to get Murmoring Bosk, so you can have other options
(Mostly Swords, Duress, etc.. to a lesser extent Nameless)

Mirri's Guile w/ Terramorphic Expanse is a budget Top/Fetch impression.

syssc9
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, I just found this forum – and I mostly play at the casual and multiplayer level – so Thank You Cavius! I have missed the casual forum ever since The Source changed it’s software. Thank you for bringing it back.

There was a Treefolk thread in New and Developmental a while back that had some good ideas in it, but I am too lazy to look it up. This archetype may be more suited to casual/multiplayer than one-on-one tourney style duels, at least I think so. I have a fun Treefolk deck that catches a lot of people by surprise, especially at larger tables. It’s not particularly sophisticated, and is often dismissed during the early game by opponents. If allowed to get setup, however, it can put the bad-clobber (my word) on lot of other decks.

Here’s a quick look at the list:

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Bosk Banneret
4 Battlewand Oak
4 Dauntless Dourbark
3 Wickerbough Elder
2 Timber Protector
2 Baru, Fist of Krosa
2 Natural Order
2 Summoner’s Pact (should be 2 more Natural Order but no-got’em!)
4 New Frontiers
21 Forest.

This post is just meant to provide ideas, mostly. Not sayin' this is better than the ongoing discussion. My idea of a good draw is 2 land, a mana elf, and a Banneret. The rest will take care of itself. I have tried various draw cards including Harmonize, Leaf-Crowned Elder, etc. but I find the tutors work better. Summoner’s pact is bleh, but I only have 2 Natural Order. I use them to get the Timber Protector and/or Baru in play. Even the much maligned Battlewand Oak can be a house with Baru out, especially if you New Frontiers for a few. New Frontiers always causes a big commotion in a large game – really shakes things up for everyone.

I could probably add some Gaea’s Cradles, and other stuff, but ya gotta remember, this is just for FUN.