PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Stompy takes 4th@ Hadley 4x Sea Drake

Joe_C
09-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Well Im awake enough and while the games are some what fresh in my memory and along with some sparse notes I take I can give the general idea of what happened in each game I played.

After picking up Holiday we venture forth to Mass, get there quite early. Grub up and get our lists sorted and get settled in for the tourney. Here's my list:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Mountain
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Chrome Mox
4 Seething Song
4 Arc Slogger
4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
4 Taurean Mauler
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Gathan Raiders
3 Blood Moon
3 Trinisphere
4 Chalice of the Void

Board:
4 Pithing Needle
3 Pyroclasm
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Blood Moon
1 Trinisphere

Round 1 Steve Normandin playing 3 color control(featuring wrath of god/EE/ nivenyrral's disk)
Won Die Roll
Game 1:

Turn 1 trinisphere gets countered. I drop a turn 2 Mauler. Backed by a pit dragon 2 turns later. Get in for 16 with a bent dragon. GG

Board: Out 1 slogger/3 3sphere/1 dragon. In 1 Moon 4 needle

Game 2: I get a opening hand thats modest with a raiders in it and 2 needles. I play tomb, needle on EE, then needle on polluted delta. He gets a meddling mage naming blood moon. I drop my raiders get hellbent and start swinging. He bounces my needles via echoing truth. Wrath of god clears the board. I dont get anything useful. He hardcasts decree of justice for 2 4/4 angels while I am at 4 from mishra's factory beats. I scoop.

Game 3(no change to deck): Turn 2 moon. Followed by a hard cast spirit guide that takes him from 18 to 6 on its own. He counters everything I try to play. He stp's my guide, and then stp's a bent raiders. I get a magus on board and he cleans it up

2-1
2-0-0

Round 2: Nate Bowe with U/r Painter
He wins die roll
Game 1: He goes island go. I drop turn 1 chalice at one which resolves. Followed by turn 2 mauler, then a raiders a few turns later. Unfortunately, he is able to EE my chalice and then combo when he is at 2 life:tongue:

Board time!:out 3 Blood Moon and 1 arc slogger. In 4 needle

Game 2: I get turn 1 needle on grindstone. Dont have extensive notes here, but his life total gets taken down quick by a hellbent dragon who swings for 8 for the kill.

Game 3(no change): Turn 1 cotv at 1. Pit dragon does the job again nailing him for 4, then 8, then 6. GG:smile:

4-2
2-0-0

Game 3: Matt Mcnally UB Painter(just what I wanted 2 painter matches in a row:rolleyes: )
Think He won die roll
Game 1: He goes land go. Turn 2 3sphere. Turn 3 Magus. He doesnt get back into this one. Slogger gets out and seals the deal

Board: Out: 2 Dragon, 1 song, 1 slogger, 1 mauler, 1 raiders. In: 1 moon 1 3sphere 4 needle

Game 2: Turn 1 needle on grindstone. t2 moon. he is able to EE my needle away and combos while he is at 13.

Game 3(no change): Turn 1 3sphere. Turn 2 Magus followed by a bent raiders. 3 attack phases for 7 seals it

2-1
3-0-0

Round 4: Chris B with g/b/w Rock
I win roll

Game 1: I get turn 1 mauler followed by a raiders. He doesnt get in this game. I win quickly.

Board: out 3 3sphere, 1 dragon. IN 3 pyroclasm(i knew he was running bitterblossom), 1 Moon

Game 2: He doesnt get into this game either. Bent raiders followed by blood moon and magus seals it.

2-0
4-0-0

Round 5: ID
Round 6: ID

TOP 8!!!!
First Match: Joe Bernier with survival.
He wins Die roll:

Game 1. He goes fetch, crack it for forest pass. I play chrome mox pitching slogger, city. Seething song, Seething song, Pit Dragon 3 sphere pass. He takes 3 next turn from dragon, after I play a 2nd. They kill him turn 3.

Board: OUt 3 3sphere 2 slogger, 1 Mauler, 1 Raiders, 1 Dragon. In: 4 needle, 3 pyroclasm , 1 moon.

Game 2: I mull to 5. He thoughtseizes turn 1 I have Magus/Moon/Chalice in my hand. He rips magus. I drop chalice 1 on my turn. He plays land, survival, go. I drop blood moon, which screws him for green. He doesnt get a forest. I get a raiders that gets bent and wins it.

2-0
5-0-2

Top 4 against Geoff Smelski with I run Soooo many basic land landstill:tongue:

This matchup was tragic. He had TONS of basics that even if I resolved a moon effect it wouldnt have mattered much. He wins 2-0 (yeah I even ancient tombed myself to death instead of dying to his attack next turn) Take that!:tongue:

But Geoff was a very personable guy. It was a gruelling secong match if I hadnt drawn 4 land in a row at one point it would have maybe gone to 3 games.

Took cash value for $30
So I took 4th out of 50 players(not too shabby for my first competitive playing with this deck)...

Props: Chalice of the void and moon effects for being what they are(dont you change for nobody)
seething song for being busted
pit dragon, god I love you
mountains for being tech
off the wall games for being a chill place and having amazingly enough elbow room at their tables
me not having to face enchantress(whoot!)
trying sushi at the restaraunt across the way. good shit!

slops: basic lands:tongue: (ok, well when I dont play them)
burger king(why do I eat your garbage?, sure it tastes kinda good but man, my stomach)

Hoping to take D. Stompy to some more top 8's in the future...

rockout
09-21-2008, 01:03 AM
props on the finish

Mantis
09-21-2008, 05:18 AM
I play tomb, needle on EE, then needle on polluted delta.
Wouldn't Needle on Delta, Needle on Strand be the right play here? That would put him into a nasty spot already as it would probably get him color or mana screwed (so he can't really play EE anyway) and it would make his Brainstorms piss poor so he can't really get out of the situation. Additionally he can't fetch basic lands so a Moon effect would wreck havoc on him.

Anyway, nice report congratulations on the finish!

Joe_C
09-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't Needle on Delta, Needle on Strand be the right play here?

Well, the needle on EE was so I could play a morphed raiders(note I mention it is in my hand), and not have it get blown up. I could have needled for both of his fetches, but if he lands 2 basics, I got nothing out of that at all and it was turn 1.

Mantis
09-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Then you unmorph it in response to his EE activation...? Morph doesn't use the stack so he can't even EE in resp to you unmorphing it. EE for 1 would kill both your Needles though which is something to think about, still I would stick with the Needle on both Fetches.

Joe_C
09-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Then you unmorph it in response to his EE activation...? Morph doesn't use the stack so he can't even EE in resp to you unmorphing it. EE for 1 would kill both your Needles though which is something to think about, still I would stick with the Needle on both Fetches.

Maybe I should have divulged more info on my hand here. I had another creature in my hand that I did not want to have to discard to morph raiders.

I just picked 4 Null Brooch on Ebay for $1.99. Seems like a possibility against control, counters wrath/EE/ decree(if hardcast), tons of stuff. And gets you hellbent for 2 mana in the process. Danger of cool things? I dunno, sounds worth testing though

Arsenal
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Interesting to see maindeck Trinisphere. Was that solely a metagame decision or of you the opinion that Trinisphere is an auto-include in the maindeck?

Joe_C
10-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Interesting to see maindeck Trinisphere. Was that solely a metagame decision or of you the opinion that Trinisphere is an auto-include in the maindeck?

Actually, I boarded them out quite often as you will see in my report above. They definitely did serve me well a few times but I would not deem them necessary in the maindeck. The next tournament I play in unless combo is running rampant there will be 4 trini in my board and none maindecked. Although what to put in the main in their place is up to questioning.. Most likely 2 jitte and the 4th moon will take their place in the maindeck