PDA

View Full Version : [Casual Deck] Kobold Stompy

MTG Guru
09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Here's a casual deck that I came up with that's alot of fun. I'm not sure if I can win games with it, but while goldfishing I've gotten:

1) a second turn kill dealing 264 damage to my opponent.

2) a 336 damage kill in a single turn, which was my all time high.

and 3) a fourth turn kill which I dealt 290 damage to my opponent.

Regardless, the deck is pretty inconsistent which is why I labeled it "casual". When you get the God draw though, it's pretty crazy. Here's the list followed by some thoughts.

Kobold Stompy.DEC By MTG Guru

// Lands
4 [US] Gaea's Cradle
3 [A] Bayou
3 [B] Savannah
2 [ON] Windswept Heath
2 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
1 [EVE] Springjack Pasture
1 [U] Taiga

// Creatures
3 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
4 [VI] Phyrexian Walker
4 [R] Ornithopter
4 [LG] Crookshank Kobolds
4 [LG] Crimson Kobolds
4 [LG] Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 [LRW] Mirror Entity

// Spells
4 [CHK] Glimpse of Nature
4 [UL] Crop Rotation
3 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
2 [8E] Collective Unconscious
1 [MI] Kaervek's Torch

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [OD] Petrified Field
SB: 4 [AL] Helm of Obedience

The deck works by abusing Gaea's Cradle, 0cc critters, and Mirror Entity. The deck uses Glimpse to fuel early wins and Gaea's Cradle to massively pump up a Mirror Entity and your 0cc creatures. Gaea's Cradle is so important in the deck that I run 4 copies of it and 4 Crop Rotation, as well. I have Candelabra of Tawnos to abuse Cradle with and to a certain extent Springjack Pasture. Crop Rotation is also really good with Cradles since you can generate mana off of it then sac it to search for another one to generate four to five times the mana of a single Black Lotus. Springjack Pasture is also really cool in the deck since it can let Cradle generate more mana and provide eternal blockers if needed. I also like the fact that you can untap both Cradle and Pasture with a Candelabra and sort of go nuts with it. Pastures is also great to set up a win and gives you something to invest mana in if you're totally crapped out and don't have a Mirror Entity in play. I've had alot of games where I've had numerous kobold-like creatures in play and Mirror Entity made then all 10/11's or much bigger. I've also gotten games where I had a bunch of 20+ power creatures, which isn't uncommon at all for this deck.

I'm not saying this deck is good, but it's sure as hell fun to play and innovative. Let me know what you guys think of this innovation. Thanks ahead of time.

Gocho
09-26-2008, 04:15 AM
I can't see the advantage of play Mirror Entity vs Overrun (for example) or any other multicritter pump spell.

You need at least 2W for the Mirror Entity + 4 for the ability = 7 mana to win with 5 critters + craddle in play

Vitalizing Wind cost 8 mana but your creatures gains +7/+7.

Hit//Run needs 5 critters + and only 5 mana. All of them gains +4/+0
Tears of rage is almost better, for only 4 mana the same 5 critters gains +5/+0 but died at end of turn.

Haze of Rage needs only two critters and play a bunch of them, with a little storm and the buyback you can do 20 damage for six mana:
- Play 4 kobolds.
- Attack with two ornithopters.
- Play HoR with Buyback: +5/+0
- Play HoR again: +6/+0
- Win.
With more creatures in play you will need less storm.

Rites of initiation needs 4-5 cards in your hand and 5-4 creatures but only one mana.

I don't think that Mirror Entity would be the best option to pump the kobolds.

MTG Guru
09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I can't see the advantage of play Mirror Entity vs Overrun (for example) or any other multicritter pump spell.

You need at least 2W for the Mirror Entity + 4 for the ability = 7 mana to win with 5 critters + craddle in play

Vitalizing Wind cost 8 mana but your creatures gains +7/+7.

Hit//Run needs 5 critters + and only 5 mana. All of them gains +4/+0
Tears of rage is almost better, for only 4 mana the same 5 critters gains +5/+0 but died at end of turn.

Haze of Rage needs only two critters and play a bunch of them, with a little storm and the buyback you can do 20 damage for six mana:
- Play 4 kobolds.
- Attack with two ornithopters.
- Play HoR with Buyback: +5/+0
- Play HoR again: +6/+0
- Win.
With more creatures in play you will need less storm.

Rites of initiation needs 4-5 cards in your hand and 5-4 creatures but only one mana.

I don't think that Mirror Entity would be the best option to pump the kobolds.

WTF are you talking about? Did you even read my opening post? I can generate 20-40+ mana in a single turn to dump into Mirror Entity. How on earth is Overrun and Vitalizing Wind or any of the cards that you've mentioned, better than that?

For one: I usually have more than 5 creatures in play.

And second: I abuse Cradle with Candelabra of Tawnos and Crop Rotation to generate insane amounts of mana.

Why play Vitalizing Wind for 9 mana when you don't get to spend your other 21 mana left over? It doesn't make any sense.

Skeggi
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
WTF are you talking about? Did you even read my opening post? I can generate 20-40+ mana in a single turn to dump into Mirror Entity. How on earth is Overrun and Vitalizing Wind or any of the cards that you've mentioned, better than that?

First off: relax psychoboi, he's just stating his thoughts, I'm sure he read your opening post or he wouldn't reply to it. It's not like this is a 32 page thread. The opening post is the only post, so yes he read it.

Ok, now we've established that, lets try and get your brains to work. If you can generate 20-40+ mana, it means you have at least 7 creatures in play. If Overrun gives them +3/+3, that means you swing for 21, and therefor, for the win (dealing 200+ in 1 turn is alot of fun, but is also considered "win-more", I'm sure you're familiar with the term). Overrun requires green mana. Mana that ESG and Gaea's Cradle generate. Mirror Entity requires white mana. That doesn't come from either ESG or Gaea's Cradle. That's the entire point the guy who tried to help you was making. I'm actually beginning to wonder why I'm trying to explain this to you...

MTG Guru
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Mana that ESG and Gaea's Cradle generate. Mirror Entity requires white mana. That doesn't come from either ESG or Gaea's Cradle

I obviously run Savannah and I usually find myself using both Cradle and Savannah to cast Mirror Entity and dump the excess mana into the Entity to prevent mana burn. It's not that big of a deal.

If Overrun gives them +3/+3, that means you swing for 21, and therefor, for the win (dealing 200+ in 1 turn is alot of fun, but is also considered "win-more", I'm sure you're familiar with the term).

Isn't that what a casual deck is all about, though? Having fun? I was just trying to find new ways to beat face besides going down the more obvious Overrun route.

Skeggi
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Isn't that what a casual deck is all about, though? Having fun? I was just trying to find new ways to beat face besides going down the more obvious Overrun route.

Yeah, I was willing to ignore that because of this little theSource rule:

10) Casual decks. We don’t have a Casual forum, so restrict your deckbuilding on this site to theoretically competitive decks only.
Anyway, nothing wrong with a different approach. I was merely explaining what I thought "what the fuck" Gocho was talking about. As far as I can see, you made a comment about the deck not being consistent, and he made a comment about the splash of a useless color.

MTG Guru
09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I was willing to ignore that because of this little theSource rule:

Anyway, nothing wrong with a different approach. I was merely explaining what I thought "what the fuck" Gocho was talking about.

I mean, it's not totally casual, it could probably pull a win out of it's ass every now and then but it's definitely not competitive.

I also like the fact that the Helm/Leyline combo in the SB include no dead combo peices, since Helm of Obedience will never be a dead card since I can dump insane amounts of mana into it.

EDIT: Sometimes Overrun isn't lethal making it a sucky card.

Ectoplasm
09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
This seems like a pretty funny deck, but, echoing skeggi and the other guy I would advise trying out something like Kamahl. You can drop endless amounts of mana into his ass and get huge kobolds as well, with the added advantage of getting trample! :) And you could lose the white splash for more consistency.

That is, assuming your consistency problems come from stuff like colourscrew.

f|i[p]
09-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't get it, Kamahl is around 6 casting cost, mirror entity 3... why would you run kamahl over mirror entity? it can actually cost you a turn

Looks like a fun deck, have you tried cabal therapy? you have lots of creatures and can always easily sacrifice one for its flashback cost.

Ectoplasm
09-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Well if you have 12 creatures and a cradle in play it hardly matters :) And he was talking about consistency issues so I'm just trying to help!
If colourscrew isn't a problem I'd stick to the mirror entity as well.

MTG Guru
09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Well if you have 12 creatures and a cradle in play it hardly matters :) And he was talking about consistency issues so I'm just trying to help!
If colourscrew isn't a problem I'd stick to the mirror entity as well.

colorscrew really isn't an issue. Between 3 Savannah and fetches I'm pretty much set. Plus as I stated above, I can always dump excess Cradle mana into Entity whenever I play it from my hand, to prevent manaburn.

Humphrey
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Im currently testing this list.
Mabe adding Ad Nauseam after Update
// Lands
4 [US] Gaea's Cradle
2 [A] Bayou
2 [B] Savannah

// Creatures
4 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
4 [VI] Phyrexian Walker
4 [R] Ornithopter
4 [LG] Crimson Kobolds
3 [LRW] Mirror Entity
4 [AL] Shield Sphere
3 [RAV] Dark Confidant

// Spells
3 [UL] Crop Rotation
2 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [MM] Land Grant
3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top

MTG Guru
09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Im currently testing this list.
Mabe adding Ad Nauseam after Update
// Lands
4 [US] Gaea's Cradle
2 [A] Bayou
2 [B] Savannah

// Creatures
4 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
4 [VI] Phyrexian Walker
4 [R] Ornithopter
4 [LG] Crimson Kobolds
3 [LRW] Mirror Entity
4 [AL] Shield Sphere
3 [RAV] Dark Confidant

// Spells
3 [UL] Crop Rotation
2 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [MM] Land Grant
3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top

I would probably drop the Shield Sphere since they cannot attack.

Why are you running Land Grant with no Chrome Mox? I would probably drop the Land Grant for more fetches if you don't intend to use Moxen.

P.S. - Thanks for taking interest in the list. =)