PDA

View Full Version : [Deck Idea] Manaplasm+Nourishing Shoal+Autochthon Wurm

MTG Guru
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I realize that the legendary Cavius The Great came up with the Nourishing Lich combo (I did my research), but I looked at another spoiled card from Shards of Alara and stumbled upon Manaplasm. http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=52929

So when I saw this card I instantly thought of Nourishing Shoal + Autochthon Wurm. Throw in Berserk and Elvish Spirit Guide and you're dead the turn your creature is able to attack. This combo also has the habit of not losing to a Krosan Grip which is a plus.

What do you guys think? Is this combo viable, or strictly inferior to Nourishing Lich. I'd like to hear your thoughts if any. Thanks.

EDIT: Another sweet card that I found might also fit this theme include Ageless Entity. I realize it's five mana but with acceleration it might be impacting.

idraleo
09-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Epic faiL. A 3 card combo that scoops by a singLe StP and/or Force and/or any burn spell is an epic fail by itself...

Tosh
09-26-2008, 07:18 PM
strictly inferior to Nourishing Lich. I'd like to hear your thoughts if any. Thanks.

It's a 3-card combo that doesn't win the game, unlike Nourishing Lich... and Nourishing Lich is terrible so, yeah.

Isamaru
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
The idea isn't completely terrible, but in your research you missed the part where Cavius didn't actually come up with the idea, a German did :smile: hahaha

TheInfamousBearAssassin
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Alternately, you could run Tombstalker and maybe Sickening Shoal, to have cards that aren't, you know, terrible.

Pinder
09-26-2008, 07:52 PM
legendary Cavius The Great

The word you're looking for is infamous, not legendary.

And this could be something to work with, but Shoal and Wurm do nothing on their own. I could see it maybe being something like Kavu cure, with a bunch of free spells that actually do something. Invigorate and Bounty of the Hunt come to mind immediately. With a plasm in play, Bounty gives +8/+8 until end of turn for the price of a single green card, and Invigorate gives +7/+7 (albeit, with them gaining 3 life). You could run Vine Dryad too, I guess.

Something like a slightly-more-than 9 land stompy with a bunch of high cc free spells to get plasm big? I mean it would suck, but it would probably suck less.

edit - Or do what IBA says. That's actually a really good idea, as both of those cards are really good in and of themselves. And you could run Snuff Out, too. Kill a blocker, swing for at least 5. Sounds pretty sexy to me.

rufus
09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
At 2G the casting cost is probably too high for it to be competitive in legacy play.

There are probably also better cards to use with it like:
Invigorate
Bounty of the Hunt
Rift Bolt
Blazing Shoal
Fireblast
Force of Will
Unmask
Spinning Darkness
Soul Spike
Briarhorn
Shriekmaw
Vine Dryad

If the cost had be 1G then it could have fit into a sligh-type deck.

MTG Guru
09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I know this isn't the greatest idea, but work with me here. In a shell that runs Duress/Thoughtseize/Unmask might give it an edge versus StP. I find Manaplasm interesting nevertheless and think that it should be given atleast a chance in this format.

The cards that Pinder and rufus suggested seems interesting to me. I just want to basically brainstorm ideas here. Does anyone have any sample lists on their mind? And please don't turn this thread into a "Pitch World pile of doo doo thread." :tongue:

I can see Goyf and hand disruption maybe implemented here. What do you guys think?

Maybe Sengir Autocrat/Delraich with a Manaplasm in play? I know it sounds janky but I just figured I'd throw the idea out on the table.

EDIT: Does Eureka work with Manaplasm? If so, that would be awesome.

rufus
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
This is Cire's list from when we thought Manaplasm cost 1G:

4 Plasma
4 Kavu Predator
4 Boros Swift blade
4 Garadon
4 ESG
4 SSG

4 Fireblast
4 Blazing Shoal
4 Invigorate
4 Bounty of the hunt
4 Berserk
2 Double Cleave

14 lands or something

Willoe
09-27-2008, 03:34 AM
Manaplasm in a deck with Tombstalker? Of course, no Bob.

georgjorge
09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
running Predator with only Invigorate as the combo seems not so good...if Predator stays, maybe some Skyshroud Cutters as well, as they are also decent with Manaplasm if you have a Berserk. Probably not.