PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Peasants Painter

Boogy_Boy
09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
If you want to play a painter deck but come afford the Imperial Painter that cost 125 dollar a pop, this is the deck for you. (Or don't want to run a shaky mana base that rolls over and die to a bloodmoon and lose 5 points to revealing a force of will...)

**Disclaimer this deck is no where near polished, cos.. well.. i'm busy**

The basic premises is to splash white for enlightened tutor and switch the toolbox from creatures to artifact/enchantment, and tbh it seems rather feasible.

-Land-
4x Plateau
4x City of Traitor
4x Ancient Tomb
1x Plain
2x Mountain
2x Bloodstained Mire
1x Wooded Foothill

-Acceleration-
4x Mox Diamond
4x SSG

-Draw-
3x Sword of Fire and Ice
3x Eternal Dragon

-Tutor-
4x Enlightened Tutor

-Combo/Tutor targets-
4x Painter's Servant
4x Grindstone
3x Bloodmoon
1x Pithing Needle
1x Trinisphere

-Blasts-
4x Pyroblast
4x REB
3x Lightning Bolt

Most of the stuff should be pretty self explanatory. This is just a rough draft, and not much has been tested on it. It does play half decently from what I have played so far.

The eternal dragon is used to fetch for white mana under a bloodmoon effect. It also allows lower land count even tho I still have 18 land.

Boogy_Boy
09-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Is card explanation really necessary?

4x Mox Diamond
-Changed from Chrome mox to Mox Diamond for white mana. Also the artifact count has been increased, so Chrome mox isn't very good due to the lack of red cards.

3x Sword of Fire and Ice
-Changed from Sword of Light and Shadow. SoF&I Draws you cards, and protects you from burn. Also, the critter count has been lowered, so Sword of L&S isn't very good since there won't be much critters to return (I think). Tho, even Sword of F&I seem rather shaky with the low critter count.
-However, Painter with Sword equipped is a good win condition as well. With Sword of F&I, you don't have to wash with a second painter to white/black for your painter to be protected. This is rather relevant in the few games i played. Yes yes, krosan grip, blah blah blah... Atleast it's aimed at the sword not its wielder, the painter.

3x Eternal Dragon
-Fetches you white mana under Bloodmoon. Also raises your white mana count to 15.

4x Enlightened Tutor
-Reason why we splash white. These cards are 120 dollars cheaper than the stupid Imperial Recruiter and fetchs Grindstone (HAHA in your face Recruiter)

4x Painter's Servant
4x Grindstone
- Self explanatory? no? Painter is an auto 4 of due to its synergy with well... about the whole deck. (Maybe it's because the deck is built around it...)
-The Grindstone could be potentially lowered since I am casting Enlightened tutor rather consistently turn 1 and 2.

3x Bloodmoon
-B..b...b...but we run 15 nonbasic land? Doesn't really matter since only Enlightened Tutor needs white, and you want this to come in around turn 3 or 4 anyway so you don't lose life to ancient tomb/sac City of Traitor. Even if you have no white mana when you cast Bloodmoon, you still have a plain you can fetch for with Eternal Dragon (duh).

1x Pithing Needle
1x Trinisphere
-Never fetched them, maybe because I haven't played combo/survival.

-Blasts-
4x Pyroblast
4x REB
-Imperial Painter runs them, don't see why it won't work here.

3x Lightning Bolt
-What? There's white and StP can kill Akroma while Lightning Bolt can't? Well, the reason should be obvious. Red is more consistent than white in terms of mana supply. Also, in some rare situation where there's library protection, (Gaea's blessing? who run those seriously...) Painter with Sword of F&I equipped can be a good win condition. Lightning Bolt will help burn down your opponent faster.

raharu
09-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Do you really want 3x equipment in this deck, considering you run 7 creatures that you're going to want to actually cast? On a side note, it is an interesting take on REB based painter, even if it's super-unpolished looking (fuck, iDunno, it might wipe the meta, like I'd know for certain).

Zinch
09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
A painter set at blue cannot carry a SoFI, because it will gain protection from blue and the swword is now blue... I think you haven't consider this...

Boogy_Boy
09-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Do you really want 3x equipment in this deck, considering you run 7 creatures that you're going to want to actually cast? On a side note, it is an interesting take on REB based painter, even if it's super-unpolished looking (fuck, iDunno, it might wipe the meta, like I'd know for certain).

LOL. the Imperial Painter deck had 3 equipment? So I put in 3 as well? Ya. Maybe i should just ditch the swords altogether.

A painter set at blue cannot carry a SoFI, because it will gain protection from blue and the swword is now blue... I think you haven't consider this...
oh sh*t... obviously i didn't.

Some other stuff in those slots I guess.

Dark_Cynic87
09-27-2008, 03:43 PM
How about something that gets rid of Chalice @ 1? Seems to royally rape you. Exactly 1/3 of your deck has a cmc of 1, with absolutely no way to get rid of Chalice.

I hate being the guy that always says "Chalice rapes you" and I realize that you won't always stumble on it when you need it as you really have no way of drawing with your deck, but at least it would be there instead of saying "ok, g2?"

Pce,

--DC

The_Red_Panda
09-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Maindeck Shattering Spree? I've always really wanted to do that. It makes just about every stax matchup auto-win, and it seems decent against other parts of the field (Not really, it's basically just for chalice).

If you really want to run swords, you can drop a pair of moons for magus, and still have one that's tutor able. That way you can still at least beat.

Captain_Morgan
09-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Green/Blue could work as well for trinket magi and living wish. Main deck goyf and use some mill strats, protect goyf for a second victory. Plus you still have access to hydroblasts and cunning wish.

The other is to use Black/Blue, Buried Alive and similar effects and then Academy Ruins them for drawing.

Forbiddian
09-28-2008, 03:28 PM
This deck is not very peasant, lol. It retails for like 300+ USD.

But in other news, I think that the shift away from Recruiter should involve more than just -4 recruiter, +4 tutor, -mountains, +white sources.

There are a lot of holes that the recruiter fills, like chump blocking a Terravore, grabbing a Sword and beating face, etc.

If you're going to go the enlightened tutor route, you should try to have the deck benefit as much as possible from the increased ability to find the combo and resolve it.

Also, because you don't have a secondary win condition, graveyard recursion would win the game for your opponent. You need ways to deal with these responses to your combo, as a lot of decks can board in 2x Gaea's Blessings.

Even more decks will do this if you consistently place well, as these one-two cards that are somewhat useful in other matches will guarantee a match win vs. your deck (assuming they can deal with your like 4 creatures, which should be easy).

Media314r8
09-28-2008, 03:45 PM
There are a lot of holes that the recruiter fills, like chump blocking a Terravore, grabbing a Sword and beating face, etc.

While recruiter can do many things, 'chump' blocking a Terravore is one thing he (or anyone short of DSC/SundTitan) does not do well.

IMO recruiter is weak, but he is on color, and nonbasics + blood moon = not a combo. Additionaly, running a second color with only basics, no way to get white from mox, (barring dragon + mox or 2x e tutor + mox) I feel that going mono is the route this deck wants to go, so while tutor is not exactly efficient at 2R for a 1/1, he's the best there is for the deck.

EDIT: Haven't checked the price on recruiters since considering building alluren a year and a half ago... $45->$125 ZOMGWTFBBQ?!?!

Forbiddian
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
The chump block often buys Imperial Painter players the critical extra turn required to win, turning dying on turn 4 into winning on turn 5.

Sometimes players even tutor into other recruiters to chain-chump a large critter until they get the mana base to resolve a painter+stone and win.

The fact that you have a free body is a huge advantage to playing Imperial Painter and ignoring that advantage is ridiculous. A 1/1 isn't that big, but he's often worth 4 life (or a fog) in this Tarmogoyf Meta. Sure, he's not as "good" of a chump blocker as like a Wall of Stone, but pretending that you'll see a turn 5 just as easily with peasant painter against Thresh or Loam is wishful thinking.

AngryTroll
09-29-2008, 06:00 PM
A toolbox or Enlightened Tutor seems pretty reasonable. Oblivion Ring, Engineered Explosives, Tormod's Crypt, Pithing Needle, and maybe even Rune of Protection: Green form a pretty versatile and compact toolbox.

I'd drop the Swords of Fire and Ice, improve the manabase so that you can run Swords (the reach from Bolt will almost never be relevant without more creatures with equipment), and then take it from there.

You could even run a Moat or three. That'd be awesome, but not cheap.