PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Karooed Opposition

jericohs@cottage
10-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Here's a deck that i have recently brought back to life and i think improved it very much.
Hi forum, meet Karooed Opposition (UG/r). This is a prison style controll deck centered around tempo. The object of the deck plays the same way as old Opposition list but the trick is to sit back and two for one your opponent. Do not counter your opponents creature unless it's absolutely necessary. Be wary of board sweepers, those are the type of cards you want to counter.

UG/r Opposition

Maindeck:
Artifacts
2 Static Orb

Creatures
4 sakura tribe scout
4 Coiling Oracle
2 venser shaper savant
3 Mystic Snake
4 Wirewood Symbiote
3 Wood Elves

Enchantments
3 Opposition

Sorcery
2 Demonfire
3 Fact or Fiction

Instant
4 remand
4 force of will

4 Lands
1 Tropical Island
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Gruul Turf
4 Simic Growth Chamber
4 Izzet Boilerwork
1 Forest

Legendary Lands
1 1 Pendelhaven

Sideboard:
2 Serrated Arrows
1 Essence Warden
2 Eternal Witness
1 Viridian Shaman
3 Krosan Grip
3 Spell Snare
2 Trickbind
1 Demonfire

Well, i'm sure most of you have played around with this arctype before...

The gems in the deck are wirewood symbiote interactions with your elves. That's when things get nutty. When you have opposition in play you can really controll your opponents turn. Tap some of their guys; or let him attack with a huge 10/10, block it, stack the damage and return your little oracle to your hand by tapping wirewood. On your turn you can play him again, draw a card...etc. The deck really gets out of hand if left unchecked. It's also very normal to completely lock your opponent out.

Another nice interaction is the Karoo lands with sakura-tribe scout and gemstone mine. The Gemstone counters never depleat and you have just about any color of mana you need. Obviously, you end up playing a zillion lands which help you play controll. A well timed Static Orb in the Mid game is also very brutal versus your opponents but not so much yourself since your untapping Karoo lands...hehe.

I still play the deck on MTGO and have noticeable results across the field. For some reason i never win versus Atog Affinity or an early counterbalance. But that was before Sensei's Divinning Top was banned in Ext.

I've also played with intruder alarm and found it to be a Win More card. It's mostly useless on its own and i would often times screw myself over with it.

Any questions?

***PS if board sweeping is prevelant in your meta...
- i remove the FOW's and Remands for 2 Spectral Force, 3 Scryb Rangers and 3 Savage Twister.
This config will let you play out your early wheenie game. They'll board sweep and you'll drop your 8/8 trampler. You'll quickly redevelop your board with the help of Fact or Fiction and will likely lock them out with Opposition towards the end of the game. The Savage Twisters are there to trick the opponent. Play spectral then let your board develop and wrath for 4 or 5 leaving the board clean except for your fattie.

DireLemming
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
For some reason i never win versus Atog Affinity or an early counterbalance. But that was before Sensei's Divinning Top was banned in Ext.
So you came up with this brilliant idea to port it to Legacy where SDT is alive and well? Makes sense.

jericohs@cottage
10-03-2008, 04:04 PM
No buddy, i could see it loosing games to SDT and counterbalance in Legacy... Some games, I still managed to overpower counterbalance . I just mentioned that because this deck is alive and well in Extended if i cut FOW for say Rune Snag or Delay and the Tropical Island for a Breeding Pool.

But i've posted some nice results at FNM with it. Lost a few, won a few. All in all a very nice casual deck.

jericohs@cottage
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh yeah....

I totally forgot. I've playtested the following cards to some degree.

Glimpse of Nature (prefered fact or fiction)

Azusa (prefered sakura-tribe scout)

Summer bloom (was awesome to develop manabase but it's a do nothing card)

Vinelasher Kudzu (crazy synergies with summer bloom, azusa and sakura-tribe scout - i took him out because i could just as easily power out the 5cc spectral force and have counter mana available so i decided to cut him)

Delay instead of FOW when i was playing this as an ext deck. RETARD is a great counter. hehe Does anybody have any french foils of this one, I saw them go up to about 80.00 US for a while. LOL

Mordel
10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
If testing shows you that this deck performs well, I guess that is that, but I have always thought that opposition would be too slow and clunky in this format. Karoos are neat and everything, but when one considers how many you actually run, I am not sure you will be having a great time in a format where almost every deck runs four wastelands. Chalices and trinishpheres(which you can turn off with oppo easily enough, granted) are extremely common place too.

I am not going to just come up with a list, but maybe combinning opposition and ten land stompy might get better results if you find that you are getting timewalked by wastelands on karoos all the time. I know you have counters in there too, but it seems like there are a lot of cards that will be wrecking your day, whether it's deeds, EE's, kegs and so forth or seals being thrown down on the second turn and effectively shutting down the oppo plan.

I also feel that mystic snake is absolutely awful in that deck. Four mana for a counter and 2/2 legs...pass. I used to run oppo in extended and I my deck could always pull off wins by just turning shit sideways, throwing an equipment on a dork and smashing face. You might want to look into making it so your deck will perform better when the shit hits the fan and you don't have an oppo out.

Those thoughts are based off of the list and my knowledge of 1.5...if your testing says the deck works good, then keep doing what you're doing, but I really don't see the deck as it is really posing much of a threat to some of the prevailing decks in the format.

Cards to look into: goyf, jitte, SoF&I/L&S, Loxodon Hierarch/Balloth, Beacon of creation, stp etc etc

I really don't see why you would have a red splash specifically for domed demon fires when you can improve upon the deck's ability to compete by running white instead. White can give you the access to loxo, stp, chant, cop red, runed halo and numerous other cards.

Hope this helps you a bit with tightening up the graphics on your deck.

Xenos
10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Look at every successful legacy deck out there. They all contain one thing in common:

cards that can efficiently trade itself "1-for-1" or more. Synergy is secondary only after that requirement is met.

I don't see that in here.

Captain_Morgan
10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm not seeing it, the creature base is really weak. You can pull off the same trick with using Gaea's Cradle and a lot of other bodies. I played the old school Squirrel Prison wayback, and I think to be honest that deck had a lot more synergy than this and could chump block all night long.

Venser doesn't impress me that much, it's jail bait for about everything out there. Deranged Hermit or Teferi I think would work better, Teferi gives an alternate route to lock down while the Hermit and his squirrel friends kill people. I personally liked the synergy of Hermit/Wrangler, but that's probably way too slow these days and susceptible to many mass destruction spells.

In short:

Completely rework the creature base
Completely rework the mana base

Green Stompy works as someone said before, but you could also go the Elves tribal route I think for swarms and hate.

jericohs@cottage
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
This is why i said casual...

No one ever considered of making legacy opposition? What can people come up with? Or is it like stasis and not even bother anymore, hehe.

jericohs@cottage
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Look at every successful legacy deck out there. They all contain one thing in common:

cards that can efficiently trade itself "1-for-1" or more. Synergy is secondary only after that requirement is met.

I don't see that in here.

I agree efficiently, that's why the manabase is the way it is. Many of these cards in conjunction with one another 3 for 1 your opp. And almost all of them 2 for 1 your opp???

I think the only reason its not viable is because of the board sweepers and LD. And not because of the size of the men. They are weak but i think people forget the strenghts behind these little critters.