1 Wasteland
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

SB:

4 Leyline of the Void
2 Tormod's Crypt
4 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Thoughtseize
2 Krosan Grip

This is the product of me and Anusien talking in IRC. I was pretty enthralled by the interaction of Intuition and Demigod, so I had him make me a deck that used it. We brainstormed a few times over a few weeks and ended up with this. He tested it a bit and we tweaked it further. I played a couple games with it and added a land.

As for that list, Anusien likes a Shackles over the third Deed. I don't think that's right given all the nonIslands you want to have in play, and thought about playing Damnation instead, but elected to go with the sweeper that also gets Counterbalance.

Gifts seems like it could be really awesome but it's probably better as Intuition #4. Breeding Pool over Trop #4 is probably a fine idea, but I couldn't be bothered to try to obtain one. Maindecking a Crypt is probably a good idea if you expect a lot of blue Loam control mirrors. Krosan Reclamation was also suggested by a friend of mine.

Essentially, most of the Counterbalance control decks have a long game that revolves around Counterbalance and removal. I've always considered that to be a little awkward, because when you say "let's make this about Counterbalance" and your opponent boards in a bunch of Grips, you might accidentally get blown out.

This attempts to address that by being a board control deck until the last stages of the midgame, at which point you have the ability to switch gears and come over for fifteen flying haste. This is particularly good against decks like Goblins, where the ground tends to stall, but is mostly a function of wanting to be more proactive in the long game.

Raven's Crime is pretty retarded, incidentally.

The matchups are pretty similar to ITF, although I think Demigods and Crime gives you an edge in game one loam-counterbalance mirrors. I haven't actually tested, though; I just really wanted to cast Intution for Demigods and wasn't concerned about particulars. I mean, if I tested and the deck sucked, how would I attack for fifteen?! Round one was playtesting. Speaking of which:

Round 1: Colin, UGR Thresh

Game one: He Snares my Counterbalance, I kill all his guys, he plays Fledgling Dragon, I play Demigod and get that going with Stronghold and Shriekmaw.

Game two: I punt by discarding fetchlands to Crime him so that I can hit drops around Stifle and then can't shuffle for Top while he beats me up with Nimble Mongoose and I have infinite lands :(

Game three: I make like fifteen million mistakes both tactically and strategically, but I kill all of his guys and then kill him anyway.

Round two: Kasey, mono black aggro

Game one: He sixes himself with Dark Confidant. At the end of his turn four, I Intuition for Demigods, untap, and fifteen him.
flexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Game two: He runs out Carnophage + Rack and Hymns me a bunch. I draw a lot of land and die.

Game three: Pretty much the same as game two, except this time I had Top going and so it was a little more embarrassing to see twelve cards and only get one spell.

Round three: Painter

Game one: He goes all in on the combo and I Smother his Painter, untap, play Deed with one up, and start mashing him with Tarmogoyfs.

Game two: He as a turn two kill. I Brainstorm, draw my only remaining Force of Will* and a blue card, and counter it. Next turn he goes for it with a second Painter, and I Grip it. Then I play a Deed and show him a Demigod.

*they got boarded out for Thoughtseize because my blue cards are all sort of necessary for winning and I had to leave my clock and smothers in.

Round four: Giles, VoroshStill

Game one: I have Counterbalance/Top with an extra Counterbalance for his first EE. He eventually kills the second one, too, but I get him with:

<frogboy> Demigod
<giles> counterspell
<frogboy> trigger, five?

Game two: He has Top and I don't, but I have Intuition and hit on blind Counterbalance to resolve it through a Counterspell. I'm set up to rape him with Loam/Crime when I dredge into a Demigod with another one in my hand (!!!!!) and so instead of being potentially kold to Extirpate I go ahead and run out ten power and get there.

It's pretty hard to convey with words just how sick it is to dredge a demigod. Let's just say it would be socially awkward to stand up during the immediate aftermath of that.

Round five: ID

Quarters: Tosh, ITF variant

Game one: We both resolve Intuitions and get our engines going, but he got to Ruins first and has a Shackles in play. I Waste his Ruins to establish my own, and he puts Oracle on top. I Twist him with Raven's Crime and Wasteland my Urborg that is his only source of black. He can only get Oracle for three. I untap, get back Ruins, play it, Deed his board, and pass. He starts Loaming again, but I dredged a Demigod a while previously and had been holding one since he played his Shackles, so I Twist him again and ten him twice.

Game two:

cliffs notes: I spend about thirty minutes getting blown out the entire game.

<tosh> land go
<frogboy> land go
<tosh> wasteland
<frogboy, confused> land go
<tosh> loam
<frogboy> ...oh.

One of those days.

And he had Crypt, so the fact that I had rawdogged Loam wasn't helpful either. I pretty much lost this game by missing my third (fifth) drop to Grip his Crypt and start Loaming, but by the time I got there he had Counterbalance/Top going. It took him about thirty minutes to kill me because his win conditions didn't show up, but my only real out was him punting via fatigue. (it was like 2:30 at this point) Almost got him with Demigod trigger, but he remembered his Crypt :(.

Game three: He mulligans, I Seize him, play a Goyf, bash him around with that a bit. He has Crypt but no real action other than Plowing my Goyf once he's at nine. I Intuition up some dragons and run one out there. He Crypts two of them, but the third one kills him anyway.

Semis: Colin, UGR Thresh. Same guy from round one.

Game one: He goes Werebear, Goyf, Goyf. I have my own Goyf and Deed the board. He goes Fledgling Dragon. I play Demigod. He plays another Goyf (...) and I peel lands and die.

Game two: Very similar to game one; I get him on no board no cards. He draws Mongoose, I kill it with Deed and set up for Demigod next turn. He draws a 6/7 Goyf. It's embarrassing when your five drop is outclassed by their two, so I shuffle and try to blind Counterbalance. Miss. Top into lands, shuffle, Top into lands, concede.

Deck is a) good and b) awesome. everyone should get to experience the feeling of Intuitioning for Demigods at least once.

props: Volt and AngryTroll, for the ride there.
Erik Wong and crew, for the ride back.
Volt, AngryTroll, Tosh, and anyone else I borrowed cards from. Ship addresses so I can get them back to y'all.
Mind Shatter, for crushing AngryTroll's spirit in Highlander.

slops: the tournament, for starting at 8:30 and ending at 3:30.

Volt
10-05-2008, 04:37 PM

frogboy
10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Probably no room. Usually finishers aren't the problem so much as not dying until your gigantic awesome comes online.

deviant
10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Now I know what I'll play next saturday :P

Nihil Credo
10-05-2008, 05:10 PM
*they got boarded out for Thoughtseize because my blue cards are all sort of necessary for winning and I had to leave my clock and smothers in.

It will take a bit of effort to persuade me that this was the optimal choice. For starters, what kind of Painter deck were you facing?

Pinder
10-05-2008, 05:14 PM
<frogboy> Demigod
<giles> counterspell
<frogboy> trigger, five?

HAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAAHhaahaahahahaaa...

..whew.

Oh man. Made my day.

DeathwingZERO
10-05-2008, 06:09 PM
And to think August and I were actually thinking of building this "combo" deck when Demigod was spoiled for the FUN of it. Way to go and spoil the fun making it competitive.

Gratz on the finish :D

Giles
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
<frogboy> Demigod
<giles> counterspell
<frogboy> trigger, five?

Meh. It happens, when you are playing in the vintage event beforehand.

frogboy
10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
It will take a bit of effort to persuade me that this was the optimal choice. For starters, what kind of Painter deck were you facing?

I dunno. It had Enlightened Tutor, Trinket Mage, Petal, LED, and Ponder/Brainstorm.

It might be wrong and I should've cut Goyfs, but I wanted a clock. I think I went -Crime -Gifts -3 FOW +3 Seize +2 Grip.

edit: the list in the OP might be 61. If it is, cut a Smother.

Jujuhawk
10-05-2008, 10:51 PM
but I get him with:

<frogboy> Demigod
<giles> counterspell
<frogboy> trigger, five?

Did he call a judge? Because I'm pretty sure this should be ruled with intent. :/

frogboy
10-05-2008, 11:19 PM
It's not. That's the explicit ruling. Some friends of mine played Demigod at a PTQ and got a few free wins that way.

Maagler
10-05-2008, 11:34 PM
but I get him with:

<frogboy> Demigod
<giles> counterspell
<frogboy> trigger, five?

I'm not sure I understand, did he not know that the Demigods in the yard would trigger despite the countering of the first? Or is there something else I am missing?

AngryTroll
10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
When you cast Demigod, it triggers. If they then counter Demigod, the stack is Demigod, Trigger, Counter. Counter resolves, Demigod goes to the graveyard, and then the trigger resolves, putting the countered Demigod into play. With Haste. You have to let the trigger resolve before countering Demigod.

Max said that interaction was typically worth about a game a match.

Bardo
10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Did he call a judge? Because I'm pretty sure this should be ruled with intent. :/

Serves Giles right for not reading Riki on SCG. Cases (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/16166.html) in point (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/16196.html).

Well done, Max. Very sexy list.

rockout
10-06-2008, 12:03 AM
I am so happy to see a viable demigod deck. Major props.

DeathwingZERO
10-06-2008, 12:52 AM

This is the exact same thing as attempting to play a card through a Standstill trigger, there's going to be times where a player is just dumb and forgets things. It's part of the nature of the game, and ruling in favor of play mistakes makes for bad tournaments.

Nihil Credo
10-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I dunno. It had Enlightened Tutor, Trinket Mage, Petal, LED, and Ponder/Brainstorm.

It might be wrong and I should've cut Goyfs, but I wanted a clock. I think I went -Crime -Gifts -3 FOW +3 Seize +2 Grip.

edit: the list in the OP might be 61. If it is, cut a Smother.

Petal and LED worry me. Seems he's running some other tricks beyond the Painter combo; maybe Doomsday? More reason to keep FoW if so. Anyway, my proposed SBing: -1 Shriekmaw (who cares about killing T-Mage?), -1 Gifts, -1 Loam, -1 Crime, -1 Deed (mostly a very bad Vindicate here).

Anusien
10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
It's okay, you didn't have to throw me props.

This report was hilarious by the way. I'm glad you got to 15 a fool a few times.

What did you think of the singleton EE? Sometimes I just want to cut that package entirely; it's awkward to set up and otherwise Academy Ruins is sort of worthless.

Siding against some sort of combo-UW I'd probably board:
-1 Shriekmaw, -1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, -3 Demigod of Revenge.
I've had some awkward trouble winning when the Demigods come out against combo decks, but that lets you preserve all your removal. I'm not entirely sure if the Thoughtseizes come in; I could see just -1 Shriekmaw -1 random other removal spell or possibly Gifts, +2 Grip. I'd rarely want to bring out Loam since setting up good Intuition piles without is pretty difficult.
Edit: who cuts hand disruption (Raven's Crime) against a combo deck?

Edit:
If you think it's ruling by intent, you're almost always wrong. It's invoked in a wide variety of cases where it shouldn't be. In particular, part of RBI is that players shouldn't get any advantage from sloppy play.

P.S., Max really isn't joking. Intuitioning into Demigods makes you feel like a man. Guaranteed to put hair on your chest (or grow your breasts, if that's your thing. Just don't click the wrong button when the window pops up).

frogboy
10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
It's okay, you didn't have to throw me props.

wtf you're namedropped twice in the part that actually matters!

The EE was pretty good. I don't think I ever Intuitioned it up but I used it to kill some Counterbalances and I think it'd be awkward to not have one in the mirror because of that if nothing else.

Tosh
10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
otherwise Academy Ruins is sort of worthless.

Without that split-second wasteland I think our first game would have gone quite differently (not to say I would have won, but that I wouldn't have lost so badly). :P

frogboy
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, the ability to deny the other guy his Ruins is pretty important against Shackles, Oracle, and even EE if you have the lock going. Between your Ruins and Wasteland they have to put a lot of effort into activating theirs.

Tosh
10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Being forced to activate Ruins on your own turn is bad (read: opportunity to fuck my colors for Oracle)

frogboy
10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
well if you hadn't activated it I would've just legend ruled you, so you were kold either way.

Tosh
10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
That's exactly why your ruins fucked me.

Giles
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Serves Giles right for not reading Riki on SCG. Cases (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/16166.html) in point (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/16196.html).

For the record: I never got angry during that situation. And never thought for a milisecond to call the judge over. I knew the rules and stuff, but I forgot about it because I have never played against a Demigod before. Granted it was a mistake, but I will not forget anymore.

Tosh
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Tosh [...] I borrowed cards from.

If you're by greek row still, give me a call and I'll come by and pick 'em up

frogboy
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
For the record: I never got angry during that situation. And never thought for a milisecond to call the judge over. I knew the rules and stuff, but I forgot about it because I have never played against a Demigod before. Granted it was a mistake, but I will not forget anymore.

Yeah, sorry if I implied otherwise.

xycsoscyx
10-14-2008, 05:49 AM
I hate you an Colin for having the slowest possible decks imaginable (thank god it didn't go to game three). I was the one who gave you the ride back after, btw. :D