PDA

View Full Version : [Report] ICBINTF at Mirkwood *T8*

Tosh
10-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I Can't Believe It's Not The Fear

The List:
My Previous List (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=268292&postcount=1) -1 MD Wonder, +1 MD Etched Oracle; -3 SB Engineered Plague, +3 SB Pernicious Deed; -4 SB Leyline of the Void, +2 SB Tormod's Crypt +2 SB Faerie Macabre.

// Lands
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold
1 [TE] Wasteland
2 [ON] Windswept Heath
2 [ON] Polluted Delta
3 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
2 [A] Underground Sea
2 [b] Tundra
3 [u] Tropical Island
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Swamp
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Plains
2 [CS] Snow-Covered Forest

// Creatures
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
1 [FD] Etched Oracle
1 [ON] Gigapede
1 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
3 [TE] Intuition
3 [7E] Counterspell
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares
3 [CS] Counterbalance
1 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
1 [RAV] Life from the Loam

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [AP] Pernicious Deed
SB: 3 [R] Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 2 [LRW] Shriekmaw

The Games
Round 1: Mono-B Zombies
Game 1 - Counter-Top + Goyf/Gigapede beats ftw.
Game 2 - I make several play mistakes that cost me the game
Game 3 - Tied due to time.

Round 2: 43-Land.dec
Game 1 - Gigapede (fuck you Maze of Ith) & LftL+Wasteland (fuck you man lands) win me the game
Game 2 - He gets Manabond and drops Treetop Village & Factory w/ 2 more lands. He beats in for 5 a turn until I drop a 2/3 goyf. He swings, I block factory w/ Goyf and he Crypts me but that puts an artifact in his yard so I kill the factory. I get another goyf. I end up at 2 with 2 goyfs and a swords in hand. He's got thresh, so a barbarian ring wins him the game. He ports my only white and in resp, I swords my goyf and beat in for the win next turn with my last goyf.

Round 3: Black Aggro (+Vindicate)
Game 1 - I set up my engine and win the game.
Game 2 - He gets an early Nezumi Graverobber and a Whithered Wretch which pwn the fuck out of my goyfs.
Game 3 - I get some early goyfs and force/counter/swords my way through to win.

Round 4: UWg Slivers
Game 1 - I get an turn 5 Gigapede and some goyfs which force him to trade crystallines for and I swords some other guys and beat in with gigapede.
Game 2 - I get EE + Ruins + 2x Swords and win on the back of gigapede.

Round 5: Mono-B
ID

Top 8:
Here's an excerpt from Frogboy's report (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11417)

Game one: We both resolve Intuitions and get our engines going, but he got to Ruins first and has a Shackles in play. I Waste his Ruins to establish my own, and he puts Oracle on top. I Twist him with Raven's Crime and Wasteland my Urborg that is his only source of black. He can only get Oracle for three. I untap, get back Ruins, play it, Deed his board, and pass. He starts Loaming again, but I dredged a Demigod a while previously and had been holding one since he played his Shackles, so I Twist him again and ten him twice.

Game two:

cliffs notes: I spend about thirty minutes getting blown out the entire game.

<tosh> land go
<frogboy> land go
<tosh> wasteland
<frogboy, confused> land go
<tosh> loam
<frogboy> ...oh.

One of those days.

And he had Crypt, so the fact that I had rawdogged Loam wasn't helpful either. I pretty much lost this game by missing my third (fifth) drop to Grip his Crypt and start Loaming, but by the time I got there he had Counterbalance/Top going. It took him about thirty minutes to kill me because his win conditions didn't show up, but my only real out was him punting via fatigue. (it was like 2:30 at this point) Almost got him with Demigod trigger, but he remembered his Crypt :(.

Game three: He mulligans, I Seize him, play a Goyf, bash him around with that a bit. He has Crypt but no real action other than Plowing my Goyf once he's at nine. I Intuition up some dragons and run one out there. He Crypts two of them, but the third one kills him anyway.

Note: I should have fetched a Underground Sea so he couldn't Waste his own Urborg to screw me but I didn't think that far ahead. This was the only time I had trouble with color.

Props:
* Gigapede for having shroud, being big, and recurring itself.
* Wasteland for beating 43-Land and Max in game 2.
* Mirkwood for being awesome.
* Chris, Don, and Max for coming up.

Slops:
* Starting so late.
* Me for not winning.

Solpugid
10-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Congrats on the finish. This list looks quite strong (I'm a huge fan of gigapede, which certainly helps my opinion here). However, you still have that dangerously low blue count which keeps me from playing these kinds of decks. Was that ever a problem for you?

Also, Frogboy continuously referenced crypt, but your list doesn't seem to have any. Were those leylines supposed to be crypts?

Tosh
10-05-2008, 06:06 PM
However, you still have that dangerously low blue count which keeps me from playing these kinds of decks. Was that ever a problem for you?
I never ran into the problem. Most of the time FoW was used on a must-counter in which case pitching a Brainstorm/CB/Intuition wasn't a hard choice or I hard casted it late in the game. I usually let trivial things resolve and set up my engine and deal with it later (eg. letting a 'goyf resolve and letting it beat on me a couple turns while I set up Ruins/EE).

Were those leylines supposed to be crypts?
Yeah, I forgot that I decided to use 2 Crypts and 2 Faerie Macabre instead. List updated, thanks for catching that.