PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Long Beach Stompy

MTG Guru
10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Here's a deck I've been tweaking for the past two years. It's a R/G Stompy variant that takes advantage of 187 creatures and Shivan Wurm, thus the name came to be (Long Beach, CA. is Bloods & Crips territory and alot of murder happens there no doubt. What up Snoop). I don't run mana elves just stuff like Wood Elf and Solemn Simulacrum so that I can play Trinispheres more efficiently. I also run six Spirit Guides and six Tombs/Cities to ensure a first turn Trinisphere, if it's in my hand. This deck has been getting decent results during testing on MWS, though somewhat mediocre. I've pulled enough wins out of my ass though to be confident enough to actually the post the list. Enough explaining, I'll do more after I present the list.

Long Beach Stompy.DEC By MTG Guru

// Lands
3 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [RAV] Forest (3)
4 Taiga
4 [TE] Wasteland
3 [EX] City of Traitors
3 [OD] Mountain (2)

// Creatures
3 [PS] Shivan Wurm
3 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
4 [8E] Wood Elves
3 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
3 [P3] Dong Zhou, the Tyrant
3 [P3] Ravaging Horde
3 [MR] Solemn Simulacrum
3 [P3] Diaochan, Artful Beauty

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thorn of Amethyst
4 [DS] Trinisphere
2 [MR] Chrome Mox

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [OD] Ground Seal
SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [PT] Fire Imp

This deck is brimming with creatures (I run 29) and the only non-creature spells I play are Trinisphere, Thorn of Amethyst and Moxen. A first turn Thorn of Amethyst or Trinisphere messes up alot of people's game plans. You don't even know how many games I've played that ended with "System Player Lost" with only 60 seconds into the game. Daze and Mana Tithe can't do anything to a Trinisphere backed up by a Spirit Guide, which makes this deck more menacing than it should be. It's a brutal reality for alot of decks including combo. Thorn of Amethyst is almost as strong as Trinisphere against TES, Belcher, SI and FT. Thorn of Amethyst is also another reason I run such a high creature count. Becuase I can't afford to run alot of non-creature spells if I wanted to fully utilize that card. I've played games where Thorns was a stronger card than Trinisphere. For some reason decks that play their own Trinspheres happen to suffer more against Thorns of Amethyst over one of my own Trinispheres.

Now for some in depth overview of some of the more obscure cards that I'd like to shed light on.

[B]Diaochan, The Artful Beauty

I've been testing this card, becuase 9 times out of 10, I alway wished I had more removal in the deck versus fatties. I've tested Flametongue Kavu and Fire Imp and they both fell short. There are too many finishers in this format with toughness 5 or more for either of the creatures I've mentioned to be that efficient. So I found this little (3R) cc "Stark of Rath" that really appealed to me. This little lady can take out Exalted Angels, Goyfs, Tombstalkers, Dreadnoughts, Sutured Ghouls, Terravores, Nantuko Shades, Sea Drakes, Serendib Efreet, Grinning Demon and any other creature FTK cannot deal with. I also like the fact that it gives a chance to destroy one of my own permanents rather than the inferior "Gain control" ability of Stark of Rath. And a majority of the times I have a 1/1 elf or 2/2 beater that I can sac becuase most of my other creatures, either are still in my hand or apparently dealt with. This is a creature that fills the spot removal "void" the deck originally had and I'm very satisfied with the overall results.

Dong Zhou, The Tyrant

Another P3K gem that I discovered while researching playable cards out of the Three Kingdoms set. I really, really like this card alot. Sure, He's five mana, but ramping up to that much is a simple task for this type of deck. I also love how this card can be a win-con versus Dreadnought based decks. People have pointed out that Tin Street Hooligan might be better but I love how this card can seal the deal on the spot. I also enjoy dealing 5 damage to my opponent after he plays a Tombstalker or Tarmogoyf, and get especially happy if he's running Bob. Another initial indicator that possessed me to play this card include the constant abuse I can inflict with Shivan Wurm.

Ravaging Horde
I originally had Goblin Settlers in this slot then stumbled upon this guy who has a +2/+2 body for one extra R. Thinking to myself, well, that's not a bad ratio when you compare it to a 1/1 for 3R. This guy is also pretty much superior to Avalanche Riders as well becuase of the amount of damage he inflicts and his apparent lack of an 'echo" cost. Yet another P3K gem that I think has potential.

Other 187 Creatures that need mentioning:

Wood Elf
Solemn Simulacrum
Fire Imp

187 Creatures I've already mentioned...

Ravaging Horde
Dong Zhou, The Tyrant

...And the perpetrator

Shivan Wurm

On that note, Shivan Wurm is strong but the deck usually needs him as a beater instead of the usual concept that he's only there to abuse 187 creatures. He's a crooked correctional officer of some sort when you think about it (did they get it?)

A Card That Needs Inclusion Within The Deck

Sarkhan Vol

How can I not include this guy in my deck? I'm going to test him as a two' of and see how he works out. He should be pretty strong within this type of build.

Other Random Synergies Within The Deck

Diaochan, Artful Beauty + Sarkhan Vol

Diaochan, Artful Beauty + Solemn Simulacrum

(and everthing else has subtle synergy within the deck that's too obvious to be worth mentioning.)

That about wraps it up...

Let me know if you guys can think of any additional 187 creatures becuase I'm in constant pursuit of perfecting this deck.

Well, there you have it. Constructive criticism is very much welcomed especially when it comes to possible inclusions within the deck. Let me know what you guys think of this innovation! Thanks.

heroicraptor
10-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Winding Canyons seems like a good enabler to play Shivan Wurm to save something/general flash shenanigans.

Opterown
10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Winding canyons seem rather mana heaving - you'd need 5GR. (essentially 6GR because you'd then lose the mana from the Canyons itself)

GenioDeArena
10-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Great idea!
Ive been trying a similar (budgetary) concept myself, with
4_stone rain
3_creeping mold
3_earthquake
MD for general controll, creature acceleration in the form of orcish lumberjack, tinder wall and STE, and blastoderm, gigapede and oakgnarl warrior for the beats. Also testing 2_overrun (just for the kicks)

Id love to see how you deck evolves. Cool findings in the p3k cards, as far as 187 creatures... Elvish visionary seems interesting, deranged hermit too.

vigilante
10-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Diaochan, Artful Beauty
[snip]
....And a majority of the times I have a 1/1 elf or 2/2 beater that I can sac becuase most of my other creatures, either are still in my hand or apparently dealt with.....
Seeing as your opponent gets to choose which creature is destroyed by the second part of the ability, not you, I can't imagine you'll be losing a random dude very often....they'll either nail your biggest threat, or Diaochan herself.

Here's a deck I've been tweaking for the past two years.

....Goblin Settlers....

Let me know what you guys think of this innovation!
It's amazing how similar you sound to everybody's good friend Cavius The Great. :rolleyes:

MTG Guru
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for taking interest in the deck.

@Vigilante on Diaochan - Yes, they will get rid of Diaochan like 90% of the time, but I don't care as much and treat it as spot removal.

Do you guys have any thoughts on Sarkhan Vol? He seems like he would be really strong in this deck.

I've also considered things like Blood Clock and Erratic Portal with 187 creatures, but the idea never materialized. Too inconsistent and too many dead draws.

This deck is a big improvement from my original concept and I'm glad you guys seem to enjoy the idea. :smile:

Anusien
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Isn't Royal Assassin better than Diaochan, The Artful Beauty?

Also, if you run Winding Canyons you probably want Seedborn Muse. And Survival and Anger.

KillemallCFH
10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
It's amazing how similar you sound to everybody's good friend Cavius The Great. :rolleyes:What's even more amazing is that I once ran into Cavius on MWS playing this exact deck.

GenioDeArena
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I've also considered things like Blood Clock and Erratic Portal with 187 creatures, but the idea never materialized. Too inconsistent and too many dead draws.

:smile:

Blod clock (Humbilicus) and LD has allways been apealing, the lock is appealing, but unfortunaletly its kinda winmore youll need more fallow earth and even accel into plow under to give it a try. But feel like a different deck.

MTG Guru
10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Isn't Royal Assassin better than Diaochan, The Artful Beauty?

Also, if you run Winding Canyons you probably want Seedborn Muse. And Survival and Anger.

Royal Assassin isn't red and even if I decided to play black, double black in a Stompy deck with one colorless left over is a bad idea, IMO.

Winding Canyon seems interesting, but with such a low land count to begin with, I fear that it's not feasible the way the deck is. Nice suggestion though, it is a cool idea.

EDIT: I actually run 2 Winding Canyon in a Wildfire & Bombs-like deck with Crater Hellions and Thunder Dragons. That's only becuase I run over 30 mana sources, though. I'll post that list on a different thread as soon as I get around to it. I've been knowing the power of Winding Canyons for quite a while now. ;)