PDA

View Full Version : EDH: Intuition and Gifts Piles in UB

Mayk0l
10-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Dear Sourcers,

I've been playing a Sygg, River Cutthroat deck for some time now. The deck includes both Intuition and Gifts Ungiven as potential tutors for cards. Usually, and this is especially true for Gifts, these 'tutors' are a bit underwhelming. I guess this is partly due to the fact that I never really thought about effective piles for either one of these two, and usually just get a bunch of artifacts after I've tutored up Academy Ruins for example.

Does anyone know good choices for Intuition and Gifts in a UB deck (no other colors are allowed, colourless is fine) that follows Highlander rules?

For the record, my deck is an Aggro Controllish UB deck that feeds of insane cardadvantage generated by Sygg.

Jaynel
10-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Mystical Teachings, Deep Analysis, Chainer's Edict, and, to a lesser extent, Think Twice are all solid cards with Flashback that can go well into piles.

Shriekmaw/Volrath's Stronghold/Crucible of Worlds is a solid Intuition pile. You can toss in Academy Ruins to turn that into a Gifts Ungiven pile. Shriekmaw can be any critter or artifact (if it's an artifact aka Executioner's Capsule, just replace Stronghold with Ruins in the Intuition pile).

Hope that helps?

Bardo
10-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Go, go Casual Forum!

Mayk0l
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks, Jaynel, those are some good ideas! Anyone/thing else?

Bardo: Holy crap we have a casual forum hidden in between the crap decks? I never checked here! Lol

freakish777
10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Gifts:

Argivian Restoration (combo piece Type A)
Reconstruction (combo piece Type A)
Time Vault (combo piece Type B)
Voltaic Key (combo piece Type C)

(for infinite turns)

You also play with Rings of Brightearth (combo piece Type C), Mizzium Transreliquat (combo piece Type C), Academy Ruins (combo piece Type A) and probably Drafnu's Restoration (combo piece Type A).

Intuition isn't anywhere near as good, but if you have a C type in your hand you can Intuition for the Time Vault and 2 A types, and with a Time Vault in hand, for the 3 C types. You can also Intuition for Mystical Teaching and mana sources (Sol Ring, Mana Crypt) and then they have to either give you mana, or 2 uses out of Teachings (to go get Gifts).

TrialByFire
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Crucible is banned in EDH. Relearn is a good card to have for Gifts piles

Jaynel
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Crucible can be Recall, I guess.

freakish777
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Relearn is a good card to have for Gifts piles

Relearn is pretty good (get back Demonic Tutor/Vampiric Tutor/Fabricate to 2 card combo win). Obviosuly if you go with Red you get Recoup, and Green you get a bazillion "Return a card from your graveyard to your hand" cards.

Mayk0l
10-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Relearn is a good card! But I guess good Intuition/Gifts piles of which the individual cards are actually worth playing are hard to find in UB, if you want something other than land combos. I guess Stronghold/Ruins/Creature/Artifacts is a nice one as well.
Is there a way to use either to effectively nail Urborg/Cabal Coffers/SomethingElse(/SomethingElse) in UB?

freakish777
10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Petrified Field should be in your deck probably if you run Gifts.

rufus
10-10-2008, 10:20 PM
There might be something with Sins of the Past and Spellweaver Vollute.

Mayk0l
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Petrified Field should be in your deck probably if you run Gifts.

Thanks, that's a good one, I added it to my deck :)