PDA

View Full Version : What To Bring To The Source Anniversary Tourney

cdr
10-16-2008, 05:56 PM
What To Bring:

$30 cash
Exact change appreciated. There is a bank with an ATM right next to the site on the other side of Kohl's.

Your DCI number
If you do not know your DCI number, it can be looked up. If you don't have one, you can sign up for one.

Your pre-printed decklist (http://www.moyevents.com/pdf/DeckRegForm.pdf)
Decklist sheets will be provided, but I highly recommend coming prepared with one.

Your Source name
You know this, right?

Pen and paper for life tracking
These will also be available, but please bring your own.

Information (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10373):
Saturday October 18, 2008
Registration begins at 10AM, tournament begins promptly at 11AM
Doors should be open by 8:30

$30 cash

The Vestal American Legion
118 S Jensen Rd
Vestal NY
(607) 797-2290
Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=American+Legion+118+S+Jensen+Rd+Vestal+NY&ie=UTF8&ll=42.094411,-75.996978&spn=0.001493,0.003487&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A) Microsoft Live map (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r0g7h38p08c7&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24182186&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

Also, please vote in the poll if you're coming so that we can maybe get some idea of numbers. You can vote no if you're not coming, if you really want.

J.V.
10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Just a think to add to this, People should reg their names as First Name "source name" Last name so people can put faces to the source names.

cdr
10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Just a think to add to this, People should reg their names as First Name "source name" Last name so people can put faces to the source names.

That's something we will be doing when we register people.

socialite
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Damn work damn hospitals damn sick children occupants, damn weekend shifts. DAMN.

Di
10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
$30 cash
Exact change appreciated. There is an ATM near the site.

Please. Can't stress this enough. I am bad at numbers, and don't want to end up mismanaging the money.

Just adding the Source name somewhere on the sheet will be acceptable. We'll figure it out.

Your pre-printed decklist
Decklist sheets will be provided, but I highly recommend coming prepared with one.

This is another big one. Please please please if possible do this. Most tournaments end up starting late because of people and deck regging. Cutting the time needed for deck reg by pre-printed sheets is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, thanks for making this thread, Chuck. Good idea.

Pinder
10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
An addendum:

Cameras. Lots of them. Digital preferably, lots of film if they're not. Video cameras are a double bonus plus.

All of us who can't make it are wailing and sobbing right now, and we need you guys to help us through it by allowing us to attend the tournament vicariously. That means pictures definitely, and if you're cool, sweet YouTube videos.

Also, updates on the Source. Nearly everyone in attendance should be registered here, and I'm sure there are people with laptops, so I want to see the tourney thread full of awesome shit come game day.

Seriously, it'll help with the tears.

edit - FEATURE MATCHES. Get on it.

socialite
10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Bonus prize to anyone who gets solid video of PR getting sandwich punched.

Pinder
10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Bonus prize to anyone who gets solid video of PR getting sandwich punched.

Seriously. I'll PayPal someone five bucks if they get video.

rockout
10-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I'll paypal someone 5 bucks if they can get me a stack of life counter paper with the source logo on it if at all possible.

Pinder
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll paypal someone 5 bucks if they can get me a stack of life counter paper with the source logo on it if at all possible.

Wow. I work at Kinkos, and if I'd thought of this way beforehand I probably could have made several life-total pads with the Source logo on them and sent them up there. But now the shipping would be much more than 5 bucks to get it up there.

rockout
10-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow. I work at Kinkos, and if I'd thought of this way beforehand I probably could have made several life-total pads with the Source logo on them and sent them up there. But now the shipping would be much more than 5 bucks to get it up there.

I weep openly at not having a source life pad. Time to go to kinkos and have my own made.

Pinder
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I weep openly at not having a source life pad. Time to go to kinkos and have my own made.

Yeah, just create a file at 5.5x4.25 inches, then tell them you want it 4-up, cut and padded into pads of 50 sheets (you can have any number of sheets per pad, but 50 is a nice, round number).

That'll give you 4 pads of 50 pads each. And since I'm at work right now (I'm such a slacker), I can actually plug all that in and tell you exactly how much it will be for 50 sheets (Black and White), 2 cuts and 4 pads:

$9.98 before tax (I don't know what tax is where you are).

So about $2.50 a pad for custom Source logo pads of 50 pages each, assuming you set up the file for the pad.

Bryant Cook
10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm going to be bringing awesome. A lot of it.

Pinder
10-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm going to be bringing awesome. A lot of it.

Apparently not any funny, though.

Bryant Cook
10-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Apparently not any funny, though.

Eh, at least I'll be there. Your side of the country sucks.

Jak
10-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Eh, at least I'll be there. Your side of the country sucks.

No more potatoes for you.

Pinder
10-16-2008, 10:46 PM

No no, that's Idaho. The West Coast doesn't talk about Idaho.

TeenieBopper
10-16-2008, 10:58 PM

The fuck ever. We have salt potatoes.

socialite
10-16-2008, 11:17 PM
The fuck ever. We have salt potatoes.

Mmm Freedom Fries.

Jak
10-16-2008, 11:55 PM
No no, that's Idaho. The West Coast doesn't talk about Idaho.

Ore-idah.

We make potatoes too.

Bryant Cook
10-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Doesn't change the fact that your side of the country sucks.

socialite
10-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Doesn't change the fact that your side of the country sucks.

Here Here, Rabble Rabble.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah, anyone from Syracuse talking about the West Coast sucking makes me think of Zimbabweans mocking the strength of the Dollar. I think T.S. Eliot wrote a poem about that place.

4srs. Depressing. And what's with all that white shit falling from the sky?

frogboy
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
I've spent a fair amount of time in Syracuse. Portland and Seattle are both vastly superior by pretty much every single metric.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I would say that Syracuse has more available real estate for driftless squatters, but then there's that whole freezing to death over the winter thing.

I kid because I love. Also because it's true. <3 NY'ers.

Skeggi
10-17-2008, 04:16 AM
And what's with all that white shit falling from the sky?
Bird-droppings, ofcourse.

DeathwingZERO
10-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Us WC Magic players cannot be faulted for the fact that your population happens to be all centered in the same amount of space as say......100 square miles.

I mean seriously, looking at your side of the map is basically looking at LA or SF on a massive scale for about 3 states. You guys ever heard of acres? Cause our houses tend have them. Guess you guys just use square feet for everything ;p

But seriously, get us some damn info in at least semi real time. I was actually trying to get myself out there for this, but hundreds of dollars for surviving and having my own place to live and eat is > hundreds of dollars on a round trip for a Magic tournament.

Gotta have some vague concept of priorities, at least.

Nightmare
10-17-2008, 08:12 AM
But seriously, get us some damn info in at least semi real time.
What the fuck ever, dude. This has been in the works for three months. How much time does it take to brush all that sand out of your vagina?

Di
10-17-2008, 09:08 AM
What the fuck ever, dude. This has been in the works for three months. How much time does it take to brush all that sand out of your vagina?

Well, there's a lot of sand, so...

Peter_Rotten
10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
HOLY FUCK! This is THREE hours away?? WTF! Who planned this thing? Now I'm angry.

(Still going)

Deep6er
10-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I've spent a fair amount of time in Syracuse. Portland and Seattle are both vastly superior by pretty much every single metric.

Actually, there's a metric you did not consider.

Amount of Source tournaments compared to the amount in both Portland and Seattle. Pretty sure that one's important too.

@Nightmare: How are the feature matches working out? Usual as per other events? Will the players get their own table? Is it random? Or is it interesting pairings?

DeathwingZERO
10-17-2008, 10:50 AM

While the amount of time spent planning a failed tournament (due to a lack of West Coast awesomeness involved, obviously) isn't really anything I'm interested in, that comment was mostly spawned at the fact that most Batcave tournaments tend to not get updated until the end of it. I could walk to the damn thing and still get info faster.

Hence, no real action.

I'd expect better from those who actually run the site, ya know?

And from the sound of it with Angry Troll's comments of East Coaster's drinking abilities, pretty sure I've got nothing to worry about when it comes to vag's. Sounds like some of you are still waiting on your balls to drop.

God......trash talking sucks when there's no way to back it up.

Nightmare
10-17-2008, 11:05 AM
@Nightmare: How are the feature matches working out? Usual as per other events? Will the players get their own table? Is it random? Or is it interesting pairings?

Well, we'll see when it happens, I suppose. Usually its not worth doing randomly, cause it makes for lame feature matches.

Deep6er
10-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Fair enough.

Is whoever doing the feature match coverage doing the whole spiel? The interview, and so on? Because that would be kind of cool. Also, color commentary is necessary.

DeathwingZERO
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
You guys going to have a Sourcer (cdr, etc) be the one who runs the show? Would be cool to actually get information on every deck registered, not just the top 8. I'd be interested in seeing what the metagame looks like for a broader Legacy tournament than the average 20-33 players.

Nightmare
10-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I'll be covering the feature matches, to the best of my admittedly little abilities. I've never done this before, so I'll do what I can. I figure if we start doing them round 3, it would be ok, because then the games get a little more predictable and it gives me a little more time to get my shit together.

Also, we (being Di, munkie, and me) are basically the "In Charge" people, so it shouldn't be hard to get all the deck info. At the very least, I'm sure we could con Zach into doing it.

Zach Tartell
10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
My going rate is a playset of some terrible type 2 uncommon and a deck box from altered.

Peter_Rotten
10-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Also, we (being Di, munkie, and me) are basically the "In Charge" people, so it shouldn't be hard to get all the deck info. At the very least, I'm sure we could con Zach into doing it.

Are the In Charge PPL also playing?

Nightmare
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Are the In Charge PPL also playing?

I think Di is, Alex is, I am not.

Deep6er
10-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Here's an idea for the feature matches: make it table one from round three on.

That way, you should, theoretically of course, have good solid play from both sides, that will be interesting to read (and watch). Pictures of board states would also be pretty cool, but not terribly necessary.

That seems like it would make for decent feature matches (unless it's a complete blowout match up, like TES versus Zoo).

However, there would be a problem. If somebody were to X-0 to top 8 (not drawing or anything), he might get repeats on feature matches. I'm against people doing repeats like that (even if it were me) and it might be better to institute a "no repeat" policy that moves it down a table should a repeat come up.

Hearing about the guy who's X-0'ing is cool and all, but I know that sometimes I like to hear about the guy who needs to win this match to clinch that top 8 slot. That's enjoyable too.

Nightmare
10-17-2008, 11:41 AM

That way, you should, theoretically of course, have good solid play from both sides, that will be interesting to read (and watch). Pictures of board states would also be pretty cool, but not terribly necessary.

That seems like it would make for decent feature matches (unless it's a complete blowout match up, like TES versus Zoo).

However, there would be a problem. If somebody were to X-0 to top 8 (not drawing or anything), he might get repeats on feature matches. I'm against people doing repeats like that (even if it were me) and it might be better to institute a "no repeat" policy that moves it down a table should a repeat come up.

Hearing about the guy who's X-0'ing is cool and all, but I know that sometimes I like to hear about the guy who needs to win this match to clinch that top 8 slot. That's enjoyable too.
This is usually how it's done, as far as I know. Seems good to me.

Bryant Cook
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I think it should just be interesting match-ups. Like Alix Hatfield vs. Geoff Smelski or Dave Gearhart vs. Zach Tartell. Big names doing big stuff. Eyedunno.

Mulletus
10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
im not comin

freakish777
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
It'd be nice to squeek in one or two interviews with Sourcers in between rounds about their thoughts on Legacy in general, the metagame, whether or not Cavius is the real creator of Nourishing Lich, etc.

One important thing to add to the list of things to bring:

A positive attitude.

:smile:

Zach Tartell
10-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I recently came into a foil Nefarious Lich.

I'm bringing that shit.

Sanguine Voyeur
10-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Please. Can't stress this enough. I am bad at numbers, and don't want to end up mismanaging the money.What if I pay with a 20 and ten ones? I've got a lot of ones.
This is another big one. Please please please if possible do this. Most tournaments end up starting late because of people and deck regging. Cutting the time needed for deck reg by pre-printed sheets is GREATLY appreciated.Printer's busted, can't do this.

But other then that, I'm set. Good thread.

Di
10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
What if I pay with a 20 and ten ones? I've got a lot of ones.

That's perfectly fine. I don't have many $30 bills myself, so I expect a lot of people will be like this.

And from the sound of it with Angry Troll's comments of East Coaster's drinking abilities, pretty sure I've got nothing to worry about when it comes to vag's. Sounds like some of you are still waiting on your balls to drop.

No, just Bryant's.

Mayk0l
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM

After round two there will probably be 20+ people 2-0-0 that would qualify for table one; thus going for table one only is basically the same as going random but then only among the top players. I would suggest picking interesting MU's or people (read people that have a style to them that play a specific deck that they would like to go into detail about after the MU, a prime example of this is you yourself with ITF) from the top tables.

Black and Blue
10-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Just to let everyone know, I've set up an online album for photos of the tournament that anyone can add to and download.

To view the album, point your web browser to http://gallery.me.com/autojive/100002.

To upload photos, you can upload using the "Upload" button at the top or you can e-mail photos to autojive-t0m3@post.me.com with the title that you would like under the photo posted in the subject line.

There is also an RSS feed that you can subscribe to. That link is http://photocast.me.com/autojive/100002/rss

I will crosspost this in the original thread as well.

See you all there!