//Counters
Mana Drain
Cryptic Command
//Recursion
Genesis
Regrowth
Eternal Witness
Life from the Loam
//Spot Removal (Because sometimes you just need to kill something dead)
Shriekmaw
Vindicate
Duplicant
Swords to Plowshares
Spitting Image
//Card Draw
Rhystic Study
Mystic Remora
Fact or Fiction
Opportunity
Tidings
Thirst for Knowledge
Compulsive Research
Mulldrifter
Mind's Eye
//Tutors
Gifts Ungiven
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Mystical Teachings
Trinket Mage
Sensei's Divining Top
Sylvan Library
//Other Stuff
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Aeon Chronicler
Decree of Justice
Debtors' Knell
Memnarch
Yawgmoth's Will
Storm Herd
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Blatant Thievery
Time Stretch
Congregate
Beacon of Immortality
Test of Endurance
Tinker
Darksteel Colossus
Sundering Titan

The deck at heart is a tinker/gifts deck - It can land Horde of Notions down on turn 5 every game on defense, and if a player is stumbling on mana it can 21 general damage before they can recover, especially if you're shriekmawing blockers etc. Often I can just Time Stretch 3 times in a row or so for the win, especially after a big decree. 38 lands is a little low, but the 6 bouncelands help make up the land drops. The Test of Endurance/Congregate/Beacon is pretty weak, and I might cut Mystical Tutor too.

Thoughts?

yankeedave
10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Can I recommend Szadek, Lord of Secrets as your general? He is a HUGE threat and can deck someone very swiftly if not answered! I only say this because you are mostly in BU anyways, and can easily support this :)

YD

Aggro_zombies
10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Wall...of...text...

I'm wondering what the point of running Horde of Notions is over running, say, Cromat here. You've got two elementals that I can see, and while both of those are good, two cards out of ninety-nine do not a synergistic strategy make, tutors or no. I could see the case for recurring Shriekmaw, but you can do the same thing with Astral Slide and Life from the Loam (which, by the way, is a spot removal house on its own), and that also allows for retarded tricks with Eternal Witness.

Maybe I'm just overly fond of themes, but it seems like you could do a much better job of taking advantage of Horde's recursive abilities.

WiLdFiRe
10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to be nice, but that's a terrible suggestion - Szadek doesn't work with the rest of the deck at all, and it means I lose all my recursion spells, along with a lot of my win conditions.
EDIT: Horde attacks the turn it comes down, tramples over any blockers and still stays back to block any dumb dorks people choose to send at you. That way you can save your spells for the threats that actually matter. Cromat doesn't do any of these things, and has 0 synergy with the rest of the deck to boot.

Elficidium
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Personally I dislike (and discourage people within my playgroup) to play 5c generals unless they have a VERY themed deck.
If you want to play all the best cards ever, play Prismatic highlander, not EDH.
Anyway, looks pretty solid for the rest, I can see you get run over by someone who goes completely aggro on you, since you won't be able to consistently stop them with only 5 sweepers.
I'd also add more Elementals, because you can recur them and there are some pretty decent ones, and it'd make your deck more themed.

frogboy
10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
If you just want to play a control deck, cut all your shitty expensive cards for more permission and removal, add a Mindslaver and a Mind Shatter, and call it a day. Play more lands, too.

Aggro_zombies
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
EDIT: Horde attacks the turn it comes down, tramples over any blockers and still stays back to block any dumb dorks people choose to send at you. That way you can save your spells for the threats that actually matter. Cromat doesn't do any of these things, and has 0 synergy with the rest of the deck to boot.
Cromat gains evasion, gets bigger, and is incredibly difficult to kill.

Also, Horde is synergistic with two cards (that I can see) in your deck, which is a mere 2% more than Cromat. If you want to use the synergy argument, add more elementals first.

Some to consider:

Spitebellows
Skullmuncher
Ingot Chewer
Whispermare
Flickerwisp
Aethersnipe
Brine Elemental (works well with Whatever-it's-called Shapeshifter from Time Spiral)
Thundercloud Elemental
Ashling (red version)
Hateflayer
Hell's Thunder
Incandescent Soulstoke
Cloudthresher
Fertilid
Silvos, Rogue Elemental
Verdant Force
Windreaver (lol shitty Morphling)
The Hatchlings from Eventide
Plumeveil
Fulminator Mage
Timbermare (a :w::u::b::r::g: never-ending Fog seems good)
Ashen Firebeast

There are others, obviously, but these stood out because of either their utility or their strength as win conditions.

frogboy
10-22-2008, 02:11 AM
If this is a multiplayer deck, the entire thing probably needs to be retuned and way more instants need to get in there. If it's just for 1v1, none of those cards are efficient enough.

WiLdFiRe
10-26-2008, 06:36 AM
If this is a multiplayer deck, the entire thing probably needs to be retuned and way more instants need to get in there. If it's just for 1v1, none of those cards are efficient enough.

This is definitely a purely multiplayer EDH deck - if I wanted to play single games, I'd play normal Highlander. What sort of instants would you consider in the deck if you had to change it?