PDA

View Full Version : next batcave tournament

frogboy
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
There's not one scheduled ;[. I have no idea what Thanksgiving Weekend looks like for most people, but I'm guessing it's a poor time. I would prefer December 6th because I'll be in town that weekend anyway, but, you know, whatever.

tatt2dfreak
10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
i talked to mike last week about an elder dragon highlander tournament... as soon as I can my cousin into sponsering prizes, i'll have more info...

AngryTroll
10-23-2008, 05:47 PM
How do you do an EDH tournament if multiple people show up with the same General?

Also, another one in December would be cool, if people showed up.

Zach Tartell
10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
How do you do an EDH tournament if multiple people show up with the same General?

Also, another one in December would be cool, if people showed up.

Just hold role call now. Like you could take any general you want.

Then the next guy can only choose from what is left, and so on.

frogboy
10-23-2008, 05:56 PM
The problem with an EDH tournament is that it couldn't be held concurrently with a Legacy tournament because I couldn't play in both ;[.

shotgun Horde of Notions, btw.

AngryTroll
10-23-2008, 08:03 PM
But not everyone that will show up is on the Source.

Also, true, I couldn't play in both, so they will need to be at different times.

cdr
10-23-2008, 08:11 PM
The problem with an EDH tournament is that it would suck all the fun out of EDH.

Pinder
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I'll try and make it to whatever day people want to schedule the next Vanvouver tourney. December 6th works fine, because like frogboy said people are probably out Thanksgiving.

And if it's EDH, someone should let me borrow a deck because I don't have the time/money/interest to go out and build one.

Volt
10-23-2008, 09:59 PM
December 6 seems like a fine date for the next Legacy tournament. I'll talk to Vandy and see if that works for him. I'm thinking $10 or $15 entry fee. Any suggestions for prizes?

EDH is fun, but don't the games typically take too long? Would we just play 1-game matches?

Tosh
10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
December 6th sounds good.

Also, shotgun on Zur the Enchanter :D

Nucklehead
10-25-2008, 03:03 PM
December 6th is good for me to play in since we are deciding this early. the earlier these things are scheduled the more likely Ill be able to go.

shotgun pheldagriff lol

Bardo
10-27-2008, 12:16 AM
December 6 seems like a fine date for the next Legacy tournament. I'll talk to Vandy and see if that works for him. I'm thinking $10 or $15 entry fee. Any suggestions for prizes?

EDH is fun, but don't the games typically take too long? Would we just play 1-game matches?

Dec. 6 works for me.

Re: EDH. I would do that as well. And yeah, 1-game matches, since there are no sideboards in EDH. As for multiple generals, this would be subject to "Open Play EDH Rules," where the legend rule doesn't apply to the general, if both players have picked the same general.

From the Official EDH Rules guide (http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~geduggan/EDH_rules.html)

"Open Play Rule: Open play EDH rules are used for games between opponents who do not routinely play together. Generals are not subject to the Legendary rule, although other creatures of the same name are; if a General and a non-General creature of the same name are in play, only the non-General is put into the graveyard by state-based effects. If two opponents in the same game have the same General and both are in play, neither is put into the graveyard (although other, non-General, versions are)."

I'll pretty much play whatever, I just week a week or two to pick up some cards if we're doing EDH.

Edit - Wow, Karakas just got banned. Huh.

frogboy
10-27-2008, 12:25 AM
(EDH is pretty much 100 card highlander except they have fewer cards on the banned list, fyi.)

If we're just going to be dueling, the 100 card Highlander banned list is probably better,* but for multiplayer the EDH list is fine.

*Ancestral and Sol Ring are way too retarded if you get them and the other guy doesn't.

DeathwingZERO
10-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Ok, someone needs to clue me in, why is LED banned in this format? Or Protean Hulk for that matter.

Apparently I really need to brush up on my EDH stuff.

frogboy
10-27-2008, 12:39 AM
it probably fuels some degenerate combo. It's not like anyone has ever cast LED or Protean Hulk with the intention to do something fair with either card.

frogboy
10-27-2008, 01:17 AM
re: prizes: Duals, Forces of Will, Tarmogoyfs, whatever.

DeathwingZERO
10-27-2008, 02:25 AM
it probably fuels some degenerate combo. It's not like anyone has ever cast LED or Protean Hulk with the intention to do something fair with either card.

Who the hell casts Protean Hulk?

frogboy
10-27-2008, 02:31 AM
That was my point, really.

Wiw
10-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Count Brent in!

I call dibs on Lu Xun, Scholar General.

Bardo
10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Rubinia Soulsinger for me. I'll even share my list. Shards of Alara was kind to the deck.

"Rubinia Soulsinger"
Elder Dragon Highlander
by Bardo

1 Annul
1 Stifle
1 Mana Leak
1 Remove Soul
1 Counterspell
1 Twincast
1 Absorb
1 Bant Charm
1 Voidslime
1 Desertion
1 Force of Will
1 Misdirection

1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Condemn
1 Reprisal
1 Disenchant
1 Dismantling Blow
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Krosan Grip
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Control Magic
1 Wrath of God
1 Treachery

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Serum Visions
1 Impulse
1 Regrowth
1 Sylvan Library
1 Life from the Loam
1 Timetwister (yay!)
1 Jace Beleren
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Mind's Eye

1 Sword of Fire & Ice
1 Sword of Light & Shadow
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Maze of Ith

1 Sunscape Familiar
1 Azorius Guildmage
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Old Man of the Sea
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
1 Eternal Witness
1 Rhox War Monk
1 Clone
1 Mystic Snake
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Forgotten Ancient
1 Phelddagrif
1 Rafiq of the Many
1 Morphling
1 Vesuvan Doppleganger
1 Rubinia Soulsinger [General]
1 Treva, the Renewer
1 Exalted Angel
1 Eternal Dragon

1 Tundra
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Mystic Gate
1 Coastal Tower
1 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Yavimaya Coast
1 Flooded Grove
1 Savannah
1 Temple Garden
1 Brushland
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Bant Panorama
1 Krosan Verge
1 Seaside Citadel
1 Vesuva
1 Tolaria
1 Tolaria West
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Oboro, Palace in the Sky
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Island
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Plains
1 Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1 Llanowar Reborn
1 Treetop Village
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Strip Mine
1 Obelisk of Bant
1 Sol Ring

Pinder
10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Count Brent in!

I call dibs on Lu Xun, Scholar General.

You're really running a legendary Thieving Magpie as your general? Why not run the actual magpie and have your general be Sun Quan, Lord of Wu? Unblockability is nice I hear.

Wiw
10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I have a question. The official EDH site says that "Moxen" are banned. Does that refer strictly to the power 9 moxes, or are the Faux-Moxes from stronghold and mirrodin also banned?

Pinder-
I run Lu Xun as a general because he's unblockable general damage and I'm garunteed to have a reliable draw engine in the early game every game. If I was playing aggro I'd play the other p3 guy.

And oh yes- I WILL play Mana Drain. >:F

Should I play Mono Black with Braids instead? I dunno. D:

Bardo
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a question. The official EDH site says that "Moxen" are banned. Does that refer strictly to the power 9 moxes, or are the Faux-Moxes from stronghold and mirrodin
Just the good ones (A/B/U).

DeathwingZERO
10-29-2008, 01:59 AM
While I'm highly doubting that I'd actually get together an EDH deck from any friend's collections that would even be worth sleeving, I'm calling dibs on Crosis if that does happen.

Just gotta find a way to get Painter's Servant in play before he swings. MMmmmmmm Mind Twist and 6 dmg.

frogboy
10-30-2008, 03:33 AM
General: Some irrelevant creature that lets me play all five colors. Currently Horde of Notions; I think Vigilance and Haste are better than whatever Cromat's abilities are. Plus, Shriekmaw!

//play with myself

Brainstorm
Sensei's Divining Top
Impulse
Cremate
Night's Whisper
Compulsive Research
Tidings
Opportunity
Etched Oracle
Intuition
Gifts Ungiven
Mystical Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Tainted Pact
Shred Memory
Merchant Scroll

//thermonuclear devices

Life from the Loam
Mindslaver
Rude Awakening
All Sun's Dawn
Mind Shatter
Pulse of the Fields
Morphling
Simic Sky Swallower
Bribery

//I hate men

Swords to Plowshares
Diabolic Edict
Chainer's Edict
Shriekmaw
Putrefy
Mortify
Treachery
Engineered Explosives
Damnation
Catastrophe
Rout
Austere Command

//just say no

Force of Will
Mana Drain
Counterspell
Muddle the Mixture
Power Sink
Miscalculation
Voidslime
Absorb
Complicate
Exclude
Forbid
Dissipate
Dismiss
Desertion
Overwhelming Intellect

// real estate
Talisman of Progress
Talisman of Dominance
Azorius Signet
Simic Signet
Orzhov Signet
Dimir Signet
Selesnya Signet
Island
Snow-Covered Island
Tolaria (should probably be Oboro, but Tolaria is much more awesome)
Plains
Snow-Covered Plains
Swamp
Forest
Lonely Sandbar
Secluded Steppe
Barren Moor
Tranquil Thicket
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothilld
Bad River
Flood Plain
Krosan Verge
Undergound Sea
Tundra
Tropical Island
Scrubland
Savannah
Bayou
Sunken Ruins
River of Tears
Reflecting Pool
Llanowar Wastes
Underground River
Adarkar Wastes
Brushland
Caves of Koilos
Tendo Ice Bridge
Dimir Aqueduct
Selesnya Sanctuary
Golgari Rot Farm
Azorius Chancery
Simic Growth Chamber
Academy Ruins
Wasteland

Cards to add: Fact or Fiction, Cryptic Command, Draining Whelk. Maybe Oona's Grace. Probably need to add another cantrip, might need to add another land, might just overvalue land drops. Sort of want to cut some removal spells for moar countars but I'm pretty sure that's just greed. I definitely want to cut all my creatures but at some point I'm going to actually have to win the game. I'm actually pretty sure Simic Sky Swallower is getting axed as soon as I find some blue instant to play instead of him, or at least as soon as I find a Decree of Justice. Man, I wish I hadn't loaned all of my Extended rares to my friend. The removal spell I most want to play is probably Winds of Rath for the Treachery comboooooooooo but lol, etc.

The mana is passable but needs fixing. I actually have no idea what is 'correct' but so far I've been mostly able to cast my spells. The painlands are probably getting benched in favor of Vivids, though. Or some combination of filter lands; depends on how much stuff ends up coming into play tapped.

as for the transition to EDH: Sol Ring obviously goes in, Mind Twist too, Dust Bowl, Strip Mine, Vamp, Tinker (good lord, Bardo, add Tinker). Not too sure what I'd cut; are we playing with the 100 card highlander rules or the EDH banned list? Main differences are the cards I listed. The blue decks get even lower on the real-o-meter, trust me.

edit: I'm aware that I don't have any spells that are actually red, but Flametongue Kavu was on the team for a while, and in 150 I play a Volcanic as an Island proxy for Tainted Pact. I should probably add a red source so I can actually, you know, cast Horde, but meh. There are probably some other red spells that are okay, although at the moment specifics elude me.

it actually occurs to me that in EDH I could actually cut all my guys because I'll always have a creature in hand but not clogging my land drops! success! Morphling, your days are numbered.

edit 2: definitely need more counterspells.

edit 3: and ravnica duals for mana man that guy is getting so jumped when he gets back from Berlin.

Bardo
10-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Simic Sky Swallower is getting axed as soon as I find some blue instant to play instead of him,

Shit, I just remembered Beast Attack [edit - Crap, I thought it was 3GG.]

Bearscape might be good. Grizzle Fate might be bitching too.

Tinker (good lord, Bardo, add Tinker)

Have you gone through the list beyond noticing no Tinker? What am I going to do, sac SoFI for Mind's Eye? Seems bad. For Tinker to be good, you need cheap artifacts and big pain-in-the-ass to cast artifacts. My list runs neither.

Good call on Dust Bowl. I need that.

Edit - Max, run Mind's Eye. That card is fucking DUMB.

frogboy
10-31-2008, 04:59 AM
Mind's Eye was one of the last cuts since it costs five and is sort of slow. It still might be better than Tidings, but they can't Disenchant Tidings. I dunno, it was good in 150, it probably needs to go in. If we're doing it EDH-style, probably all of the creatures are getting cut so I can free some slots up.

Beast Attack isn't blue ;[

Re: Tinker: +1 Titan, +1 Mindslaver, +3 artifact lands, +some artifact mana. Get it done. I doubt the nonwhite aggro decks are capable of beating DSC, that might need a slot, but 7/10 armageddon is probably sufficient.

I'm not sure if you're playing enough lands, either.

I haven't played against any really aggressive decks so I don't know if Pulse is even necessary with everything else I have going on, but I don't think I can cut it yet.

Wiw
11-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Yay!

General:
Lu Xun, Scholar General

Creatures:
Morphling
Palinchron
Ophidian
Darksteel Colossus
Sundering Titan
Duplicant
Masticore
Rimewind Taskmage
Venser, Shaper Savant
Drift of Phantasms
Arcanis the Omnipotent

Counterspells:
Annul
Mana Leak
Counterspell
Mana Drain
Muddle the Mixture
Dissipate
Hinder
Rewind
Dismiss
Cryptic Command
Force of Will
Misdirection
Desertion

Draw:
Brainstorm
Ponder
Portent
Mystical Tutor
Impulse
Thirst for Knowledge
Compulsive research
Windfall
Consentrate
Fact or Fiction
Opportunity
Time Spiral
Brain Geyser
Stroke of Genius

Control/combo Helpers:
Maze of Ith
Capsize
Back to basics
nevinyrral's disk
Oblivion Stone
Powder Keg
Snap
Mind over Matter
Future Sight
Treachery
Control Magic
Tinker

Artifacts: (total of 25)
Chrome Mox
Mana Crypt
Mox Diamond
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Pithing Needle
Phyrexian Furnace
Mana Vault
Grim Monolith
Coldsteel Heart
Sky Diamond
Sapphire medallion
Scroll Rack
Vedalken Shackles
Extraplanar Lense
Memory Jar
Mindslaver

land:
22 Snow-covered Island
Flooded Strand
Polluted Delta
Thawing Glaciers
Strip Mine
Wasteland
Academy Ruins
Tolarian Academy
Tolaria West
Mouth of Ronom
Seat of the Synod

frogboy
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I feel like that deck really wants to play a Gifts Ungiven. (and more land obv :B) It doesn't really look like it does enough broken things.

Wiw
11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
So. Is thing still happening?

frogboy
11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
As far as I know.

Bardo
11-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I'll be there.

DeathwingZERO
11-19-2008, 07:33 PM
So what are the details to this outing? I'm very much doubting I can get together an EDH deck, so if that's the case I'm probably going to pass on this one.

Bardo
11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
While fun, I was going to bring a Legacy deck, as my EDH deck will compete with too many cards in any deck I'd take to a Legacy tournament.

frogboy
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm bringing both and running the swaps as necessary.

Jak
11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
So this is still on? Any info on times and such?

Pinder
11-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Wait, December 6th is a Saturday? That means I'll have to get out of work. Which won't be easy. Grrr.

I should still be able to make it to Mirkwood on the 7th (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12020) either way, though.

Volt
11-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry, guys. I haven't done any legwork for this tournament. If people show up, I'm sure Mike will be happy to throw a tournament, but nothing official is planned.

frogboy
11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
It turns out I have a final ;[

We'll have to do something around Christmas.

AngryTroll
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Would it be better to push this back a week, to the 13th? I'd be able to make that one, but can only maybe make this one.

frogboy
11-28-2008, 04:53 PM
I thought we usually had these on Sundays. The only reason the OP suggested a Saturday is because my internal calendar was off.

(I don't actually care which day since I'll be back in Portland that weekend anyway so whatever, but I thought I should point this out.)

DeathwingZERO
11-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Pushing this back a week would still actually give us 3 weeks to prepare for it, so I believe that would work out pretty well.

While this one is still up in the air, anyone from P-town considering hitting up the weekend set up in Washington next week? If the weather is clear and I don't have to pay for gas the entire way myself, I may be able to scrounge some cash to make it up there for both days.

AngryTroll
11-29-2008, 03:51 AM
I have a nasty final Monday morning at 9:30; let's see, it starts at 11(so 12 or so), if we left Mirkwood at noon, I'd get back to Corvallis around 6:30 or 7pm. 5 rounds means 12 or 1am...Yeah, not going to be able to make it.

I'll see if the professor wants to move the final back a day; it's a small class, and I am sure I am not the only one that is unexcited about taking the exam bright and early Monday morning.