PDA

View Full Version : EDH: First try

Mirrislegend
10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
EDH is catching on at my local shop. I caved in to my better judgement and starting designing a deck. I've never done this before, so I'm gonna need some very basic pointers. Specifically, how much mana fixing do I need, and what should I cut to bring the MD non-land count to 60 cards (i'm assuming one should play 40 lands as an equivalent to 24 lands in a 60 card deck).

REAPER KING EDH

General Critters:
1 Reaper King
1 Scarecrone
~20 other scarecrows
1 Eternal Witness
1 Chamelon Colossus
1 Soul Warden
1 Essence Warden
1 Wall of Roots
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Reveillark
1 Mulldrifter
1 Shriekmaw
1 Flamekin Harbinger

Removal:
1 Crib Swap
1 Nameless Inversion
1 Snakeform
1 StP
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Wrath
1 Damnation
1 Desert Twister
1 Nekretaal

Mana Fixing:
1 BoP
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Urborg Elf
1 Harrow
1 Fertile Ground
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Dreamscape Artist
1 Elfhame Sanctuary
1 Rampant Growth

Filtering/Draw:
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Portent
1 SDT
1 FoF
1 Impulse
1 Scroll Rack
1 Sylvan Library
1 Cream of the Crop
1 LDV

Tutors:
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mystical Teachings

Misc:
1 Regrowth
1 Krosan Grip
1 Creeping Mold
1 Decree of Justice

This deck really really really wants to abuse Scarecrone, hence the tutors. I can't think of anything else that requires explanation, so go at it! And be sure to let me know EVERYTHING you come up with, because I really have no idea what I'm doing, as far as EDH goes.

Mirrislegend
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Bump for attention. I was really hoping to get some input...

The_Red_Panda
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Brainstorm/Ponder/Portent are too weak to mean anything in this format, you're going to want stuff like Tidings, RUSH OF KNOWLEDGE, and Concentration for draw/filtering, as there is no way any of these games are going to end rapidly, and those cards don't lose as much functionality lategame.

You also need more wrath effects, I would run somewhere close to 6. Austere command is a great one, and I really like Rout as well.

Artifact/Enchantment disruption is great too, Hull Breach really needs a spot, as do the white and green seals.

Also, assuming you run all 20 scarecrows, I count that you have less than 30 land, which is a mistake. Run more land.
EDIT: Right, you said that in the opening, way to not read the post at myself.

I would start by cutting every draw spell that doesn't draw 2 plus cards, and then move to nameless inversion, Snakeform, and nekretaal, considering your general (which you get every game) autocasts vindicate. After that lose Llanowar and Fyndhorn elves, followed by however many scarecrows you deem unimportant.

Shabbaman
10-29-2008, 05:30 AM
I think you are running some crap (desert twister?) and are running too many fragile creatures (mana elves, wardens) but most of all not enough brokenness.

Read: cards with a powerful effect but a prohibitive casting cost. Cards you wouldn't play otherwise because they cost too much (in either mana or resources), but that will have a big impact. Think Tooth and nail (with entwine), Natural order, Scapeshift (fetch Urborg, Svotgos, Cabal coffers plus Vesuva copying the Coffers?) plus Life of the Loam to get your lands back, Promise of Power (!!!), the Beacons, the Decrees, the Command cycle... If you ever drafted an expensive spell, consider it for EDH.

You run some lousy tutors. Nah, they're great, but remember it's card disadvantage if you put a card on top. You have all this mana, so cards like Natural order and Tooth could be better than Worldy tutor and friends. It's depending on the deck I guess, but it doesn't hurt to point it out. But again, more costly tutors could be better than the cheap ones. Think Beseech the queen.

For mana fixing, consider Krosan tusker and the landcyclers. Yavimaya elder could replace a mana elf.

You run Sylvan libary, why no Abundance?

Mirrislegend
11-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Newest List. Also, I'm beginning to think starting my EDH experience with a 5 color general was a bit stupid. Anyone know any good starting generals?

REAPER KING EDH

General Critters:
1 Reaper King
1 Scarecrone
~20 other scarecrows
1 Eternal Witness
1 Chamelon Colossus
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Wall of Roots
1 Reveillark
1 Mulldrifter
1 Shriekmaw
1 Flamekin Harbinger
1 Panglacial Wurm

Removal:
1 Crib Swap
1 Nameless Inversion
1 Snakeform
1 StP
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Wrath
1 Damnation

Mana Fixing:
1 BoP
1 Urborg Elf
1 Harrow
1 Fertile Ground
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Dreamscape Artist
1 Elfhame Sanctuary
1 Rampant Growth
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Krosan Tusker

Filtering/Draw:
1 SDT
1 FoF
1 Impulse
1 Scroll Rack
1 Sylvan Library
1 Cream of the Crop
1 LDV
1 Abundance
1 Rush of Knowledge
1 Fathom Trawl

Tutors:
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Chord of Calling

Misc:
1 Regrowth
1 Krosan Grip
1 Creeping Mold
1 Decree of Justice
1 Hull Breach
1 Seal of Cleansing

Elficidium
11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Any general that works for you is a good one.

Good starter ones: Original Legends Dragons, Invasion 3-Coloured Dragons (Rith, ...) and their PLC Counterparts (Teneb, ...) , Ravnica Guild leaders (Ghost Council, Momir Vig, Szadek, ...) and Officers (Teysa, Kraj, ...), Shards 3-coloured legendaries (Kresh, Maja, Sharuum, ...).

Put those together and you've got all 2-colour and most 3-colour combinations.

Mirrislegend
11-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Some trimming and tuning produces this list:

REAPER KING EDH

General Critters:
1 Reaper King
1 Scarecrone
~20 other scarecrows
1 Eternal Witness
1 Chamelon Colossus
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Wall of Roots
1 Reveillark
1 Mulldrifter
1 Shriekmaw
1 Flamekin Harbinger
1 Panglacial Wurm

Removal:
1 Crib Swap
1 Snakeform
1 StP
1 Oblivion Ring

Mana Fixing:
1 BoP
1 Urborg Elf
1 Fertile Ground
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Dreamscape Artist
1 Elfhame Sanctuary
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Krosan Tusker

Filtering/Draw:
1 SDT
1 FoF
1 Scroll Rack
1 Abundance
1 Rush of Knowledge
1 Fathom Trawl
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Braingeyser

Tutors:
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Chord of Calling

Misc:
1 Regrowth
1 Krosan Grip
1 Creeping Mold
1 Decree of Justice
1 Hull Breach
1 Seal of Cleansing

Aggro_zombies
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I would think Utopia Tree would be better here than Urborg Elf, since it taps for all the colors you need for the same mana cost.

Also, the white rare Changeling can help speed up / improve your beatdown.

EDIT: Yeah, Mirror Entity. Thanks, rockout.

rockout
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I think he's talking about mirror entity. What about aether vial for an instant speed vindicate? It is a random 1-of, but it seems good.

I forgot to mention Panglacial Wurm for the absolute win. I am so excited to see that in your deck.

xXxBretWeedxXx
11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd run Mistmeadow Witch so you can be sure to have a way to destroy stuff with scarecrows already in play. Or you can find some other blink effect that I don't know about.

Mirrislegend
11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Is there a repeatable blink effect other than Mistmeadow Witch? Cuz she takes her time letting the dudes back into play.