PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbing at Hadley: An EDH Side Event Report

TrialByFire
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
So down to the thick of it. After eventually scrubbing at Hadley after round 4 playing Canadian Thresh, I decided to enter the much awaited EDH Side Event. We only had 8 people, so we had two 4 man pods and then a final with the winner.

In Pod 1 was me playing Jhoira, Jeff playing Sharuum, Justin playing Lin Sivvi, and other guy (forgot name) playing Oona.
Pod 2 was Sunshine playing Lin Sivvi, cool guy playing Pheldagriff, Bryan playing Azami, and some other person.

Our pod was ridiculous, featuring no less than 3 combo decks and Justin. We start the game off developing mana, everyone has turn 1 Sol Ring except me, but I play turn 1 Voltaic Key. Justin drops Sivvi turn 3 and starts making men. Jeff has a nasty acceleration start with Sol Ring into Mana Vault into Gilded Lotus the next turn. He plays Memory Jar and passes and it promptly gets Needled. He tried to combo off on turn 4 ish, playing Gauntlet of Power on blue and something else then Brain Freezing me for 3 copies. They resolve, and I mill nothing of importance. He the casts Desire for 4. Uh oh. I Mana Drain the original copy ( I had transmuted for Drain earlier) and Justin has epic ninja cutting skills and he flips Ceph Coliseum, Mystical Teachings and Turnabout off Desire. Not good considering he has Gauntlet. He Turnabout to untap all his lands, Justin responds with Altar's Light on Gauntlet. W00t! He Teachings for Meditate and apparently draws nothing of value then plays Prosperity for 2 (I draw Sol Ring and Slaver) and passes. When it gets around to me I use my six mana from Drain to play Sol Ring and Slaver and sac it targeting Oona player. Jeff get skipped, Justin makes more dudes, then we get to Oona's turn. His hand has Gifts in it, so I play it targeting me and give him Yawg Will and Mana Crypt, putting Academy and Damnation in his yard. I then cast Will, play Academy, use his Top and Scroll Rack to try and find something that can help my position like a card draw spell, fail, then replay his Lim Dul's Vault and kill him. I then untap for my turn, rip Tezzeret off the top, and combo out with the Key in play after getting Time Vault. Everyone packs up, then Kevin comes over and informs me that top TWO people survive to next round, so I take Justin with me.

We get over to the next pod in time to see them on Turn like 36 (Bryan had 24 land in play) Bryan with Azami with Opposition teaming up with Pheldagriff (gives hippos) to advance from their pod.

We start the finals pod, me and Bryan make a secret alliance (we carpooled together) and we both play Time Vault combo. The game starts off boring, Justin plays turn 3 Sivvi again, and I have nothing of note except Coalition Relic and Transmute for Tolarian Academy. Justin says that he and Pheldagriff should team up, finally catching on to our secret alliance. This is bad news, because Sivvi can fetch Mirror Entity and with 8 mana he can make a bunch of 8/8s combined with Pheldagriff guys hippo tokens that he would donate to him, and kill me and Bryan in one swing. We have to figure out a way to get around this considering we both run limited removal. I remember our only out, and Mystical Tutor for Starstorm, then draw it for turn and Compulsive into Gifts Ungiven. Justin plays Nev's Disk to try and thwart our plans. But Bryan draws into a wizard that taps down permanants, and he taps down Disk on the end step before mine. Then I Gifts targeting him and he gives me Time Vault and Key. I end the game with Counterspell and Drain backup, and him with Forbid too.

I love me some EDH. We pretty much make our entry fees back with the 20 credit, trade for some LEDs, then get out of there. But literally playing EDH was way more fun than scrubbing the tournament, so everyone bring your decks next time so we can have the full 16 players. So. Much. Fun.

Props:

- Time Vault for being the cheats
- Tezzeret for also being the cheats
- Bryan for making a deck 5 mins before the event then splitting first with me.
- Kevin for holding an awesome tourney and letting me borrow his Drain for the finals.
- Slaver for being a broken ass card

Slops:

- Caleb for taking back the Mana Drain I borrowed from him after the first pod and leaving
- Pat for not letting me borrow Imperial Recruiter because he was leaving, then still being there when the EDH ended.
- Pizza for being cold

Peter_Rotten
11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a blast. And moved it to the tourney forum.

sunshine
11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
It was good times all around, I thought that Hippo guy I were golden to take over the world... I still have nightmares about that Starstorm.

brattin
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Zach Waegell was playing the Phelddagrif deck, though I own it.

I feel pretty ghetto, though, what with my entire EDH deck being worth about $20, due to one sol ring and one engineered explosives.

The deck is full of silly combos involving giving people things, whether they like it or not (manaburn, decking...it's possible to get everyone to fetch all their lands out of their deck, and then turn them into creatures with lifespark spellbomb and bounce them with aether spellbomb, ideally resulting in some massive land discard and hopefully no chance of recovery). Auriok Salvagers is like my favorite card. I almost put in Chimera combo, but decided it was too obvious and would get countered, and didn't do anything useful in the meantime (look it up).

Mostly, though, it just gives people hippos and tries to come in second. It's a lot of fun.

Have fun with Ichorid, by the way. It's a great deck--I only stopped playing it because I was sick of throwing games to mulligans.

yawg07
11-05-2008, 12:21 AM
From what I hear over on the presiding EDH boards, Time Vault will be getting the axe on the next ban list update.
Not everybody follows them, house rules and all that, but I figure tourneys would use them as a guide.

Sounds like a blast. I have 2 EDH decks, Heartless Hidetsugu and Rafiq and they both a TOTAL BLAST, the best format since Eternal.

Paradigm Shift
11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Haha, so, in TrialByFire's rundown of the two EDH Drafts, I noticed Sunshine and Justin both playing Lin Sivvi.

Justin = The poster Sunshine from earlier in this thread.

Sunshine (the person, as refered to by Trial) = Me.

It was cool meeting Jaynel, as well as playing lots of EDH, which is probably the best format in existence. I want to thank the guy playing Oona for letting me borrow his Lin Sivvi deck.

It sucked being a sandbagging lucksack against Trial with me holding my only out against him while he had Force and no blue cards. Also, running only 2 wastelands and 1 loam and drawing both game one against UGr thresh is tech.

Thanks to OffTheWall for the tourney.

Jaynel
11-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Shoutouts! So clutch.

Yeah, the cube drafting was insane. I watched Matt Leblanc just go absolutely nutty in his first pod.

TrialByFire
11-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Lol yea so many Lin Sivvi's I got confused who was who. My B.

EDH is definitely > all though.

Jak
11-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Shoutouts! So clutch.

Yeah, the cube drafting was insane. I watched Matt Leblanc just go absolutely nutty in his first pod.

OOO Matt Leblanc!!! Is he still doing Soaps?

TrialByFire
11-06-2008, 02:15 PM
OOO Matt Leblanc!!! Is he still doing Soaps?

He very well could be. I stopped after the first season of Joey :rolleyes: :tongue:

tcb7599
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Any EDH lists from the event?

TrialByFire
11-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Any EDH lists from the event?

Ill post my exact list when I get home as I am on my phone right now. But I've changed about 5 cards since the tourney.

General - Jhoira of the Ghitu

Land (35)
Tolarian Academy
Strip Mine
Wasteland
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Refelcting Pool
Volcanic Island
Steam Vents
Izzet Boilerworks
Seat of the Synod
Great Furnace
Cascade Bluffs
Shivan Reef
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Petrified Field
Temple of the False God
Deserted Temple
Tolaria West
Academy Ruins
Maze of Ith
5 Mountain
10 Island

Artifact (17)
Sol Ring
Grim Monolith
Thran Dynamo
Coalition Relic
Izzet Signet
Fellwar Stone
Darksteel Ingot
Gilded Lotus
Mindslaver
Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Mizzium Transreliquat
Vedalken Orrery
Tormod's Crypt
Phyrexian Furnace
Sensei's Divining Top
Mirari

Creatures (9)
Trinket Mage
Izzet Chronarch
Viashino Heretic
Goblin Welder
Drift of Phantasms
Aeon Chronicler
Body Double
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Duplicant

Sorcery (13)
Tidings
Time Spiral
Recoup
Slice and Dice
Tinker
Obliterate
Compulsive Research
Time Stretch
Time Warp
Temporal Manipulation
Relearn
Merchant Scroll
Recall

Instants (19)
Fact of Fiction
Gifts Ungiven
Opportunity
Stroke of Genius
Brainstorm
Thirst for Knowledge
Mana Drain
Counterspell
Suffocating Blast
Force of Will
Hinder
Echoing Truth
Capsize
Starstorm
Sulfurous Blast
Mystical Tutor
Twincast
Muddle the Mixture
Word of Seizing

Enchantments (5)
Future Sight
Thought Reflection
Rhystic Study
Propaganda
Mind over Matter

Planeswalker (1)
Tezzeret the Seeker

sunshine
11-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Unfortunatley I already scrapped my list since I'm going to seriously rework it. Lin Sivvi is a lot of fun as a general, the deck just needs to have more ways to disrupt combo strategies - I liked aspects of that other guys Lin Sivvi build a lot (in particular the inclusion of things like Thorn of Amethyst), I'm going to try to find some middle ground between his and mine. I guess I don't play enough EDH but is combo really that popular?

Also, I really need to pimp out my general, hopefully I can get to doing an alteration on her in the near future.

badjuju
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Anyone have a list for Azami? I wanna see what it looks like. EDH sounds fun.

Nightmare
11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I'll get you my Azami list when I can. It's pretty fun, but it's boring to play against. It's like a combination of old-school Academy and Permanent Waves.

Dave Gearhart almost peed himself when he saw me play with it, though.

Bryant Cook
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll get you my Azami list when I can. It's pretty fun, but it's boring to play against. It's like a combination of old-school Academy and Permanent Waves.

Dave Gearhart almost peed himself when he saw me play with it, though.

Atleast people will still play against you...

Sims
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM

So switch decks...?

Bryant Cook
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
So switch decks...?

Why? Mines so PIMP! Not to mention fun to play. It's just no one wants to play against it.

Nightmare
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Between my roommate and I, we have a total of 6 EDH decks. It's not like you couldn't branch out.

Right now, my new hotness is my Angus Mackenzie piloted Enchantress/Wake deck. It rules. I have won a total of four games with Helix Pinnacle.

Bryant Cook
11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Yours is the epitome of not pimp.

Like, for serious. You have white bordered cards, proxies, and 0 foils.

0 White boardered cards. Yes, I can't afford a Twister. All of my basics are foil, 7 of them Jap Foil. Not to mention there's less than 10 english cards in the deck.

Nightmare
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I rock the WB Mana Crypt. That qualifies as pimp though.

Bryant Cook
11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh, that's right - I forgot about that beta Sea that you have.

...not

My manabase > your deck. (Pictures as soon as those damn Germans figure out that their basic lands aren't worth 1.5 euros each)

Not true. You're deck isn't pimp Zach. It's green, green cards aren't worth money unless their name is Tarmogoyf. I don't have a beta sea. Oh no, wait...I don't own a single dual period. Real men play with lands that tap for any color.

Nightmare
11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Real men play with lands that tap for any color.With your two color general?

And let's be fair, Zach. No amount of money can ever make Plains and Forests pimp. EVER.

And out of the three of us, we all know that my "pimp land" dick is the biggest.

Zach Tartell
11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Not true. You're deck isn't pimp Zach. It's green, green cards aren't worth money unless their name is Tarmogoyf. I don't have a beta sea. Oh no, wait...I don't own a single dual period. Real men play with lands that tap for any color.

Foil green > proxies
Loss of points for not calling them sank lands again (although apparently the French spell it "cinq." Whoda thunk?).
Seriously - Sank lands should be the new name for lands of that ilk.

Bryant Cook
11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Foil green > proxies
Loss of points for not calling them sank lands again (although apparently the French spell it "cinq." Whoda thunk?).
Seriously - Sank lands should be the new name for lands of that ilk.

To be honest, I just didn't want to look up how to spell it. You know I call them cinq lands in real life. Also Adam's right. Green + White =/= Pimp.

tcb7599
11-07-2008, 03:25 PM
I would also be very interested to see some of your decklists Nightmare.

TrialByFire
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't have the Azami list offhand but I can get it. Its not a crazy combo deck like Nightmare's. It wins with card advantage + Broken Wizards + Coat of Arms or Time Vault combo

badjuju
11-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't have the Azami list offhand but I can get it. Its not a crazy combo deck like Nightmare's. It wins with card advantage + Broken Wizards + Coat of Arms or Time Vault combo

Yea I'd be down to see that list.

TrialByFire
11-10-2008, 03:21 PM
General - Azami, Lady of Scrolls

Land (37)
Tolarian Academy
Tolaria West
Wasteland
Strip Mine
Ghost Quarter
Academy Ruins
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Seat of the Synod
Temple of the False God
Maze of Ith
Riptide Laboratory
24 Island

Artifacts (16)
Sol Ring
Grim Monolith
Mindslaver
Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Coldsteel Heart
Mind Stone
Mana Vault
Sensei's Divining Top
Darksteel Ingot
Coalition Relic
Tormod's Crypt
Aether Vial
Gauntlet of Power
Vedalken Shackles
Coat of Arms

Creatures (23)
Cursecatcher
Martyr of Frost
Voidmage Prodigy
Trinket Mage
Memnarch
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Vendilion Clique
Aphetto Alchemist
Information Dealer
Stonybrook Banneret
Thought Courier
Willbender
Aphetto Grifter
Sage of Fables
Sower of Temptation
Ertai, Wizard Adept
Temporal Adept
Patron Wizard
Fallowsage
Surgespanner
Magus of the Future
Arcanis the Omnipotent

Enchantments(4)
Rhystic Study
Opposition
Future Sight
Mind over Matter

Instants(13)
Sage's Dousing
Fact of Fiction
Gifts Ungiven
Stroke of Genius
Brainstorm
Mana Drain
Counterspell
Force of Will
Pact of Negation
Mystical Tutor
Muddle the Mixture
Hinder
Dissipate

Sorceries(5)
Fabricate
Compulsive Research
Time Stretch
Tinker
Merchant Scroll

Planeswalkers(1)
Tezzeret the Seeker

We cut something for Voidmage Husher after the tournament because its just soooo good, but I forgot what.