PDA

View Full Version : [report] t4 with Team America on the Dutch championship

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 08:37 AM
ok, my report is not that good as the one down this from team spod but thats bacause i'm not good in making these things, here it is::laugh:

So, the first time i saw Team America, i definitely wanted to play that deck on the Dutch championship. As an eva green player with love
for tombstalker, this deck was the perfect deck for me to try out . It is less inconsistent as eva green wich can be an isseu on a tourney with 8 rounds, and i expected a lot of combo.

Before the tourney started I scouted the meta a little bit and it was very random, although there were indeed some combo decks. There were many 3c decks and stuff like that too, so i was very happy with the choice of the deck.

Afcourse i played the standart list, but i feel like posting it so:

4xtombstalker
4xtarmogoyf

4xbrainstorm
4xponder

4xsnuff out

4xforce of will
4xdaze
4xstifle

4xthoughtseize
4xsinhole

4xunderground sea
2xtropical island
1xbayou
4xpolluted delta
4xflooded strand
1xbloodstained mire
4xwasteland

side:

4xtormod's crypt
3xkrosan grip
3xhydroblast
3xdiabolic edict
2xreanimate

The tourney was really big, i think there were about 140 people in the hall, and many germans too(not that i mind it, i enjoyed playing against them):wink:

So enough talk, here's a small report:( Because i dont like typing that much and I'm also a sucker with names so i didnt remember them at all)

round 1:

philip ?(german) - gbw(r) survival 2-0

game1: I managed to keep him of his white mana with my sinkhole, stifle,waste and it worked. After that i casted a tombstalker and he actually didnt draw any answer for the stalker, altough he get an survival online, but i still had fow to protect stalker.

game 2: I nuked his base so hard that he got stuck on one land the rest form the game and i easily beat him to death.

round 2:

? (german) - gbw rock 2-0

game 1: My deck did what its suposed to do, get him of the white mana, counter some scary stuff and beat with an goyf and stalker.

game 2: He started with a birds which i snuff outed. Then I stifled his fetch and the turn after that i sinkholed his other land. He was pretty screwed so I had time to search for my threaths and play them. He got some hierarchs and goyfs on the table but not fast enough to race my tombstalker anymore.

round 3:

? - 4cstill 2-1

game 1: I had to mull down to 5 and my hand still wasnt good enough. my only lands were bayou ans waste but I didnt wanted to mull to four so I kept. He began with an tropical. On my turn I wanted to waste it but he had an stifle. Then he played another land and standstill. I didnt draw any lands for some turns and he wastelanded my bayou. This was an easy win for him.

game 2: Now the roles were changed, I stifled, wasted and sinkholes everything and got down an stalker to win.

game 3: He had to mull to 5 and I kept an reasonable hand. He only played lands cause he had a bad hand, thar gave me plenty of time to make my hand and board position pretty good. Then my stalker beated him to the death. I had 2 fows backups for his stp and other stuff so he had no chance.

round 4:

? - goyfsligh 2-1

game 1: This is really a bad mu and he had enough burn to kill me very fast.

game 2:I seized his price of progress out and stifled his 2 fetch in a round so I made him a bit screwed. I Countered another price and seized a fireblast. He had some burn but not enough to race my goyf.

game 3: This was exciting, he got a t1 kird ape. I seized his fireblast out of his hand on my turn. Then he played some burn, not that big deal. He wanted to play an rancor on his kird ape, but in response I edicted him so that was really great for me. The game turned out to be very close on both sides but my stalker could exaclt beat him to 0. But if he drawed an fireblast or price i would have been death cause I was on 5 and he had mogg fanatic. Really great match was this.

round 5

mattheas lamers - tes(He won the tourney) 1-2

game 1: This game i had a lot of disrption for him and a fast clock so i won pretty easily.

game 2: He had an t1 combo and I didnt had fow so he won.

game 3: I mulled down to 5 and didnt get enough disruption in time to stop his combo so he won very easily.

I thought this mu was really good but it can be really hard with ad nauseum in it.

round 6:

? (german) - eva green 2-0

game 1: My deck rocked hiS manabase and I had 100 of dazes to counter his threaths. After disrupting and countering stuff I got an goyf and stalker to eat him.

game 2: He was very devastating in the beginning with 2 hymns ans wasteland. He even got a goyf and 2 shades, but when I topdecked an stalker and played after the stalker a tarmogoyf, i could exactly stall his attacks to beat him death with my stalker.

round 7:

? (german again) - gbw deadguy rock i think 2-0

game 1: I got lucky with having 4 sinkholes in 5 turns or something and wasteland too. He couldnt do that much and my goyf'n stalkers were very hungry again, so they eated him.

game 2: He got enough mana and stuff but I killed and countered his threaths away for a while. In the end he had 2 goyfs and witness or something( I stifled his witness so he couldnt get back his stp) and i got a stalker to attack him and a goyf to block. He even played double stp on my stalker but i had 2 fows and 2 blue cards so i won the race with my stalker.

round 8:

ID into the t8

the t8 consisted of:

1xubg painter
1xfahad - muc, muc with kira's an sowers
1xtes
1xgiftsstill
1x4c meathooks
1xugw dreadnought deck
1xugr tempothresh
1xteam america(me)

t8:

I had to play against Bart Holkenborg with painter: 2-0

game 1: Because of the long tourney we were a bit dull:tongue: and thrash talked much so we made some mistakes both games. He got this game a trinket mage and confidant and i a stalker so it was an race for some while, he got a countertop so I couldnt do that much and when he was on 6 and I on 5, he played a painter which I countered and he countered back, but he made some mistake and didnt got 3 mana anymore to activate grindstone and I hardcasted snuff out on his mage so he couldnt kill me. Then I beated him with my stalker exactly to 0.

game 2: This game was very one sided, I got a shitload of stifles and some waste and daze so he was very screwed. Then I easily beated him again with an stalker(he actually forced my first stalker but I had an second on hand)

t4:

Leon Kroon with Fahad muc:

I'll describe game 1 and 2 together because I lost very hard from this and kind of the same way, not only did I played very, very bad because I didnt want to play magic anymore that day(11 hours of non stop magic is really taking its toll) but this mu is so bad, he had kira and sower, which is an great combination. And he got an back to basics too and could get rid of all my threaths. End of the story here for me, but still t4 which I think is great for my first time with Team America.:cool:

I know, the report is not worked out that much but its more like an summary of the matches. If you want more details about some matches, just ask it.

The good order of the t8 was this:

1- tes
2- f-muc
3- giftsstill
4- Team America

5- painter
6- ugr tempothresh
7- ugw dreadnought
8- 4c meathooks

As you can see, beside tes, the only blue decks were in the t8

About the deck, I really enjoyed to play with it and I feel its an really strong deck. Dont have much else to say than that its a great deck and I think its gonna give me more t8's very soon.:smile:

Thanks you dan, dave, anwar and the rest for making such a great deck again, i'll hope i'm not gonna dissapoint you guyf witht the deck.

greets, Bas Kaufmann

Deep6er
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Congratulations.

Question for you: How did you like the Reanimates? Dan and I have only done limited testing with them, but we did find that the fourth Krosan Grip and the fourth Blast were too much. After some deliberation, we decided that we'd give Reanimate a whirl. In our testing it was decent, but we'd like to know how other people felt about it.

Pee-Dee-2
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
round 7:

? (german again) - gbw deadguy rock i think 2-0

game 2: He got enough mana and stuff but I killed and countered his threaths away for a while. In the end he had 2 goyfs and witness or something( I stifled his witness so he couldnt get back his stp) and i got a stalker to attack him and a goyf to block. He even played double stp on my stalker but i had 2 fows and 2 blue cards so i won the race with my stalker.
Hi. Grats for the 4th place. the 2nd game of the 7nd round was a bit different. You had a Stalker and 1 had an activ Tarmogoyf and a witness. You didn't stifle the effekt of the Witness. I played the witness and had the choice to take back a StoP or land because of only one Plains in play and 2 StoP in hand. I thought that the 4 cards in your hand couldn't be 2 FoW and 2 blue cards. So I decided to take the land and to play 2 Swords in my turn.

But you had 2 FoW and 2 blue pitchcards. At the end, you won with a final lifetotal of 3 to 0. Damn... :laugh:

Does anyone know, how many people did play the tournament?

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
@dave, I didnt side reanimate in the whole day, actually the only card i sided and was effective was diabolic edict. The rest of all the cards in the board werent needed or i didnt see them at all, so i cant tell if reanimate was good or not. Still thanks for the congratz.

@pee-dee-2, I didnt know exaclty anymore how the matches were so, thanks for describing that match better.

There were 141 people in total on this tourney. I really want to get t8 lists for the DTB thing but i dont think that i can i get them.

Waikiki
11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Well done team mate ;)

Good games!

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 12:54 PM

nitewolf9
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice work, I'm glad you like the deck and were able to do so well with it. Reanimate is mostly a versatile tool against aggro but there are a number of different things that could go in that spot.

NQN
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Unlucky you had to face the only bad matchup in the top8 :/ But then again, itīs only fair because you defeated my friend in round 1 ;)

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 04:06 PM
@dan

The deck rocked yeah:laugh: But the side may indeed get some changes. I cant say that much about it, because i almost didnt side yesterday(i didnt faced that much bad mu's, against tes was really bad luck i think. And against muc/fahad-muc, i dont know what else would be good in the board)

@NQN

I'm sorry i defeated him, he played very well but had just really bad luck. Especially game 2 when he got stuck on one land after i sinkholed and stifled the land and fetch.

Were you on the tourney too?

NQN
11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, the tall guy with the black Carhartt cap (Jan Sudmann). I finished 13th because of my own
asinity^^ Well, Iīm glad you defeated him so he will play a new deck now ;)

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Were you the guy with the broken arm? My mind is not that good sometimes, but i knwed there was an german with an broken arm that ended pretty high.

If youre not that guy, i dont remember but still, congratz on your 13th place finish. Thats not bad with 141 players. What were you playing?

I guess your friend is gonna play Team America now, or just another deck?:laugh:

NQN
11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, that was me ;) I was playing my Uwb formerLSbutnowElspethwins.dec :)
He will play Loam now. Well, pretty high would have been Top8 but is was okay the way it is because I was really tired and wanted to leave. My losses were due to a missplay and a gameloss+bad Matchup against one of those Hat-Guys.

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Ah ok, then my mind still works :laugh: Those hat guys were from team Nijmegen, and actually the one that played tes won the tourney. It was very funny because they all putted their hats on his head, so he had like 5 hats on his head when he played the finals:tongue:

NQN
11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Ah ok, then my mind still works :laugh: Those hat guys were from team Nijmegen, and actually the one that played tes won the tourney. It was very funny because they all putted their hats on his head, so he had like 5 hats on his head when he played the finals:tongue:

Yeah I knew him before but my Opp wasnīt Mattheus. Damnit, anyone made a photo?

electrolyze
11-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I thought they made a picture of it, dunno anymore who made the picture anymore. I'll wait when its on the dutch legacy forum, then i can give a link or something:laugh:

klaus
11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Reanimate...
Checking your MUs, I would have boarded in Reanimate multiple times for sure:

"XYZ-Survival": Yummy!
"Rock": works fine - life isn''t much of an issue here either.
"Eva Green": -4 Snuffout -1?, +3 Edict +2 Reanimate
-
Thoughts?

electrolyze
11-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Against survival i only boarded sinkholes out because i didnt know wha else and boarded in, 3 edicts and one reanimate. I didnt see it and it wasnt needed at all.

Against the rock i boarded the same as above but didnt see or needed reanimate at all.

Against eva green i boarded 2 snuff out out and 2 sinkholes(I'm really new with this deck and still dont really know how to board) because with my experience with eva green is, that it can be really screwed against land denial. And i still wanted more then 4 removal so thats why i boarded only 2 snuff out out. I boarded in 3 edicts and 1 reanimate.

I think i made some board mistakes but i will learn that better for sure:laugh:

But about reanimate, i feel that its unneeded. It only is really good against loam but overkill against other decks i think. The mana denial plan worked out really, really great the whole day and i really didnt need reanimate to get more creatures or something. I will experiment with the side and post my results in the Team America threat as soon as possible.

nitewolf9
11-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Just as a quick note: I don't think I would ever board out sinkholes against survival. That deck is extremely mana hungry and a favorable matchup because your LD suite hurts them so badly, in combination with daze and force (snuff out is kind of like an ld spell in that matchup, which is neat).

electrolyze
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, your probably right about it but survival is not that much played here. So i didnt know exaclty hor to board, and im always a bit of a sucker in boarding things out and in so i'll have to practice with that.

quicksilver
11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Sinkhole is far better against survival than edict.

klaus
11-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Do you guys even realize how badass TA actually is?!
I mean Electrolyze making top4 @ a 141 people tournament (despite making boarding mistakes and stuff), me (never having played TA to that point) making 1st @ the Legacy side event of PT Berlin (115 ppl.) despite not playing flawless, the list goes on..
This is madness! ..This is --Spar..uhm TA-- !!!

matelml
11-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Right. How many times has Threshhold won a tournament? If you weaken Thresh a bit it's still good enough to win games.

DeathScythe
11-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah I knew him before but my Opp wasnīt Mattheus. Damnit, anyone made a photo?

If you faced GiftSTill his name is Abel Planting

Bahamuth
11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, that was me ;) I was playing my Uwb formerLSbutnowElspethwins.dec :)
He will play Loam now. Well, pretty high would have been Top8 but is was okay the way it is because I was really tired and wanted to leave. My losses were due to a missplay and a gameloss+bad Matchup against one of those Hat-Guys.

I was the guy playing TES against you, where you got the gameloss.

You consider TES a bad matchup? Or am I reading your post wrongly?

NQN
11-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Yes I do. I only have 4 Force and 3 Counterspell. Snare doesnt really matter anyways. With Mages itīs a little bit better, but still bad if you play it correctly :) (You did by calling the judge ;P)

Greetz,
NQN

Bahamuth
11-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes I do. I only have 4 Force and 3 Counterspell. Snare doesnt really matter anyways. With Mages itīs a little bit better, but still bad if you play it correctly :) (You did by calling the judge ;P)

Greetz,
NQN

Yea well, it's not the nicest way to win games. Anyway, you were a good player, and so was the other landstill player sitting next to you. I faced him next round and lost.

Happy Gilmore
11-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Right. How many times has Threshhold won a tournament? If you weaken Thresh a bit it's still good enough to win games.

TA isnt thresh, its Eva Green with Force and cantrips. Tombstalker makes it almost -threshold lol.

aTn
11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Do you guys even realize how badass TA actually is?!
I mean Electrolyze making top4 @ a 141 people tournament (despite making boarding mistakes and stuff), me (never having played TA to that point) making 1st @ the Legacy side event of PT Berlin (115 ppl.) despite not playing flawless, the list goes on..
This is madness! ..This is --Spar..uhm TA-- !!!

Yeah the deck is awesome (i.e. puts up results and fun to play). The only thing that bothers me is the manabase (which is fine until people start playing Moon effects if TA invades the meta).

Anyhow, I don't want do piss on your parade, congratulations on your finish !

Happy Gilmore
11-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah the deck is awesome (i.e. puts up results and fun to play). The only thing that bothers me is the manabase (which is fine until people start playing Moon effects if TA invades the meta).

Anyhow, I don't want do piss on your parade, congratulations on your finish !

Moon effects are already good, but unfortunately most decks playing the moon effects are generally bad and inconsistent.

electrolyze
11-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Actually, i almost never have problems with decks that run moon effects. Dragonstompy is almost never played anymore here and its inconsistent. If its on the play it could be a problem but when your on the play, you have so much things against moon(thoughtseize, daze, after side hydroblast, you can ponder/brainstorm to find fow).

Decks like moonthresh lay down their moon only later in the game, so you have enough time to get rid of it or drop down a big tombstalker.

I think the deck dont has that much trouble with moondecks, but here in the netherlands i think that not much people play moon anymore.

@Klaus, Team America is far the best deck i've played in legacy. Now we have to hope that its not gonna be overhyped because it has already such good results.