PDA

View Full Version : Black Hand: Budget/Legacy Edition

retic720
11-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Was a fan of the "Black hand" back in Kamigawa days...and I'm currently setting up a "budget version"....my wallet just got assraped by SoFis and I have 3 pythons and a gecko to feed :)

Please help me out with this budget deck from sucking ass too much...constructive criticisms are very welcome :)

Obviously, the ones with the "still looking" tag means that they're the only ones missing so far...

Critters: 20

3 Bane of the Living
4 Black Knight (still looking)
3 Hypnotic Specter (still looking)
4 Hand of Cruelty
2 TombStalker (still looking)
4 Ogre Marauder

Spells: 20

4 Dark Ritual
3 Diabolic Edict
3 Rend Flesh ("budget" smother...haven't seen overpowered "spirits" lately...)
3 Hymn to Tourach
3 Duress
2 Distress
2 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands: 20

20 Swamp

Questions:

1) Tombstalker's there coz I just want a surprise fatty that looks kickass. Just need 2. On the other hand, what are your thoughts if I placed Grinning Demon, Yukora the Prisoner or Stronghold Overseer instead?

2) Would it be suicidal if I kicked out Hippie for Ashenmoor gougers? Afterall, I already have 8 discard effects...

PS: I just want to make it clear that Im not willing to sacrifice my mother to get a Jitte and Wastelands (for some odd reason...they're priced similarly here...)

chokin
11-18-2008, 02:21 AM
Plague Sliver outclasses Grinning Demon, Yukora the Prisoner and Stronghold Overseer. Tombstalker would be good as a 4 of. Bane of the Living kinda has anti synergy with Black Knight and Maraurder. More 4 ofs in general would help.

retic720
11-18-2008, 05:25 AM
I placed Bane as my "wrath" effect/pseudo nev's disk; I know it can kill my knights but aside from being a walking wrath, he can also be a beater for 4; not bad for me.

As for making Tombstalker a 4 of, any help which cards I should kick out?

You'll notice a bunch of 3 of's coz I value flexibility and sticking to "4 ofs" somehow...makes my deck too limited. At least with 3, it allows room for flexibility without being "too random".

Ideas?

Thanks

chokin
11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Black Hand was good because of all of the white decks rolling around. What you'd be looking for is a fast black aggro deck that prevents your opponent from doing too much early on. Suicide Black would be the place to look.

4 Stromgald Crusader
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Tombstalker
4 Dauthi Slayer
3 Ashenmoor Gouger

4 Dark Ritual
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Snuff Out
4 Smother/Ghastly Demise
3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Bloodstained Mire
14 Swamp

I think that list would do ok. Thoughtseize is kinda necessary because it hits creatures too. That's your Distress equivalent. Snuff Out allows you to tap out to play things and lets you kill stuff. As you get more lands, you can hardcast it. This deck can still pump out T1 Dark Ritual into Hyppie and a T2 Hymn or T1 Dark Ritual into Thoughtseize and Hymn. Ideally, you get rid of the Crusader for Nantuko Shade since he beats harder. If you have troubles getting Jitte, I'd say you're gonna be ok with SoFIs for now. Slayer+Equipment is really good. I may be wrong, but oh well. I think looking at Sui Black is the right direction.

xsockmonkeyx
11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Thoughtseize and Jitte are not budget!!!

Definitely go up to 3-4 Tombstalker like said. If there's ever a card in the format that's worth the money (http://www.cardshark.com/magic/card_detail.asp?card_id=24145) it's Tombstalker.

If you take a look at Raharu's "Cheap Ass Black Aggro" (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11824) thread you should find what you are looking for.

Note: Im not happy I had to go to the kiddy pool to find Raharu's thread. :mad: