PDA

View Full Version : RG-Land Destruction

ScatmanX
11-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi!

I've been building this deck for about 5 years now. It's just for fun, really, but when every set comes out, I look for something new to do with it. The goal is to destroy their lands, stall, lay down a Terravore or a Seismic Assault, and hopefully, win. Here's my latest list:

// Lands
3 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
4 [9E] Mountain (4)
4 [EVG] Forest (1)
4 [MM] Sandstone Needle
4 [TE] Wasteland
4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
4 [MM] Hickory Woodlot

// Creatures
4 [OD] Terravore

// Spells
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
4 [IA] Stunted Growth
3 [RAV] Life from the Loam
3 [8E] Seismic Assault
3 [TO] Devastating Dreams
4 [DM] Pillage
4 [IA] Thermokarst
4 [IA] Stone Rain

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [LRW] Lignify
SB: 3 [MI] Dwarven Miner
SB: 3 [ON] Custody Battle
SB: 3 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip

Card Choices:
Lands:
Wasteland : nonbasic free ld. Easy to support
Mishra's Factory: Great blocker, can be recurred, and sometimes can be an additional win condition.
Hickry Woodlot/Sandstone Needle: Can acelerate in T2 Land destruction, Seismic Assault, earlier Stunted Growth, and is food for Terravore later.
Others: No $ for taigas...

Cratures:
Terravore: Best beater this deck could have.

LDs: Stone Rain - Basic
Thermokarst - Basic (no $ for Ice Storm)
Pillage -Lands AND artifacts!
Devastating Dreams: Goblin hoser. woth 27 lands and 4 mox, I can recover much faster then most decks.

Others:
Seismic Assault: Win condition, can kill all sort of random critters. great with LFTL.
Life from the Loam: 19 lands of the deck have ashort time of life. It does not disenergise with Terravore.
Mox Diamond: T2 land destruction. Lives trough Devastating Dreams.
Stunted Growth: Ultimate Staller.Hand Killer.

SB:
Krosan Grip and WoSaM are the only cards I would not remove. The rest, still testing.

Other considered cards:
Argothian Wurm / Shivan Wumpus : should try these out more
Plow under: Stunted Growth is better, sice oponent rarely gets 2+ lands, but always has 4+ cards in hand.
Llanowar elves: Lands and mox are better, sice they don't sux when topdecking.
Contryside Crusher: Budget call. Think they must be awesome.
Tarmogoyf: Budget call. Must be awesome too.
Challice of the Void: Budget also. Must be great to.
Yavimaya Elder: works grat, but can't find room.
Exploration: same as above.
Sylvan Library: shall enter the deck next version. divinig top without the mana necessity.
Lava Blister: is bad.
Spreading Algae: meta choice.
Root Maze: haven't test, but worth considering.

Well, that's preety much it. Every sugenstion is welcome.
=]

kensook
11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Singleton Cruicible for Wasteland recursion?

ScatmanX
11-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I considered Crucible when it came out, but LotL is just better, because it works with Seismic Assault to.
Maybe I can put 1 or 2 in the SB, if I predict or se an opponents Pithing Needle. =]

Nihil Credo
11-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Contryside Crusher: Budget call. Think they must be awesome.
While everyone has his own definition of "budget", you can find a playset of Crushers for $10-12. That's much cheaper than Mox Diamond.

ScatmanX
11-21-2008, 11:21 AM
@Nihil

First of all, Iīm from brazil. Cards are a little more expensive here then in the USA or other countries. The normal price of 1 Crusher is 30-40 reais, wich is about 15+ dollars. ONE Crusher. When heīs not T2 legal, itīll certanly drop.

Second: Mox diamond is borowed from a friend that used to use in his Sem Amigos (donīt know the translation to english (is a brazilian built deck), would be something like No Friends). Terravore were the only 4 cads i bought to this deck. the rest I already had, or is borowed.

I think your suggestion to the deck would be 4 Crushers, right? Still, what would I take off to fit them in?

jazzykat
11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I would take out stunted growth for crushers. You should also look at playing some cycling lands (Onslaught commons) because they are awesome with Loam, crusher, terravore and give you something to do if you draw one late.

Atwa
11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Seeing you are really trying to keep the deck budget. You could try out Ankh of Mishra + Root Maze.

Seeing that most people play a lot of fetchlands, with that combination getting a single mana of a fetchland will take them 3 turns and 5 life, after which you should have a Stone Rain (or one of his pals) ready to get rid of the fetched land.

kilukru
11-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Avalanche Riders is pretty cheap and he's a small beater wich is always good in a deck with a low number of kill con.

ScatmanX
11-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Avalanche Riders does seems a really good adition to the deck. But I guess I wouldnīt loke to play less then 12 3cc land destruction spells. Maybe 10 is ok, but to fit them in, something else has to go.

Stunted Growth is awesome. When I resolve 1, itīs a preatty swing in the game. 2 is almost gg. But maybe 2 or 3 would be the correct number.

Cicling lands must come in the next version. maybe 2 or 3, because seeing them in my opening hand may disable a T2 land destruction.

I havenīt considered Root Maze in conjunction with Ank. With 3 cycling lands, I would have 11 CITP tapped lands. And it doesent affect mox. Iīm just wondering about the numbers. 4 root mazes and 4 anks seems too much, while more than 1 RM is kind of bad. Also, what would you consider cutting off to make room for them?

Tkx for the replyes everyone. Really.

Banelich
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
About 3 years ago me and a friend of mine taught his 8 year old son how to play magic. I built him a RG-Lando deck that came up to be about $12.00 USD and after 3 weeks he occasionally managed to sneak in a win against decks that were a few hundred $. It was a combination of cheap lando spells, a little burn, some extra removal and a few beaters.

I think you have a fairly decent decklist as is, I personally would be willing to risk not getting a turn 2 lando vs not playing at least 2 Tranquil Thicket, & 2 Forgotten Caves... the combo of playing these with Lftl is an amazing draw engine.

Also Terravore isn't the only beater for this deck, Magnivore is also a heavy hitter especially if you dredge much, plus it has haste, so it can spell end game if you float his cc then play D.D., discard a hand full of lands, and cast him after the board is clean.

Thoughts of Ruin is at least worth a mention, its nothing compared to D.D. but much cheaper if your on a budget, and most ppl won't expect that which makes it even funnier (even funnier still when and 8 year old drops it) anyways..... my thoughts would be somewhat in this direction...

-3 or -4 lands make room for (1 factory, 1 waste, 1 mountain, 1 forest?)
+3 or +4 Tranquil Thicket / Forgotten Caves

I guess the choice of what lands to cut would depend on your local meta-game and your own budget...

-2 Thermokarst
-1 Seismic Assault
-2 Stunted Growth

+2 Magnivore
+3 Exploration

Another cards I would consider is Horizon Canopy