PDA

View Full Version : Four 1/4ths - New Variant Format

Captain Hammer
11-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Basically a small group of us got sick of basically seeing every one of our decks consisting of 15 4x cards, or something close to that, and seeing the same cards over and over again each game. Yes, the decks are more consistent that way, but they're a lot less diverse, and the matches always seem to play out the exact same way.

So we came up with a new rule for deck construction, and I have to say, it has done wonders for the diversity of the games...

The rule is basically this, roughly 1/4th of the deck has to be 4 ofs, 1/4th of the deck has to be 3 ofs, 1/4th has to be 2 ofs and 1/4th has to be 1 ofs.

So basically, the deck plays 4 4x, 5 3x, 7 2x, and 15 1x cards or something close to that. A small amount of leevay is allowed as long as the deck roughly meets these guidelines.

The lists look as follows...

4x
4x
4x
4x
3x
3x
3x
3x
3x
2x
2x
2x
2x
2x
2x
2x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x
1x

You would be very surprised just how much having to conform to this format livened up both deck construction, and gameplay.

There is just enough 4x ofs that you get to play 4 copies of the most broken cards in the deck, stuff like Force of Wills, Tarmogoyfs, Tombstalkers, Brainstorms and such. You can play 3 ofs of other solid cards that don't absolutely need to be 4 ofs.

And this type of deck design works far better with multicolored decks so having a mana base that conforms to these rules is not difficult.

The real fun begins with the singletons (and the two ofs to some degree). This rule gives you the oppurtunity to play with tons of great cards that you otherwise wouldn't bother to play, cards like Kitchen Finks and Cold Eyed Selkie and others, that while strong, never quite met the threshold to be popular in legacy. It also encourages the use of tutors.

Having to play all those singletons means that you never quite know what card you will draw, each game plays out completely diffently. Sometimes, the key card that wins you the game is an Eternal Witness, or a Krosan Grip, or a Pernicious Deed, or a Reanimate, or a Kitchen Finks, or Engineered Explosives or a Cold-eyed Selkie or Garruk or something else completely random that you included as a 1 of because it was a solid card that wasn't particularly broken, but was good nonetheless.

If any of you get the oppurtunity, I strongly encourage your playgroup, or store to try out such a rule for a bit. You would be surprised how much fun deck creation can be.

Basically, this is kind of like Highlander, but doesn't really give you the feeling that you're playing an inferior deck. You are still allowed to play 4 copies of stuff like Tarmogoyf, so you don't feel like the deck is subpar. But it does feel a lot more flexible, the deck construction is more interesting, and the games still feel very variable. So it's the best of both worlds.

Jak
11-23-2008, 02:43 AM
I would rather play EDH if I had the money.

Citrus-God
11-23-2008, 02:50 AM
It's a good constructed format idea. I'd give it a try, it looks super fun. But to be honest, I think I'd rather spend my money on EDH though... kinda... EDH has some rules that look like BS to me as well as deck construction.

Forbiddian
11-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Doesn't that really hurt deck diversity by banning monocolor and two color decks?

It depends on how far your friends take it and what the rules for sideboards are, but combo is typically "answered" by 4-ofs like Thorn of Amethyst or Tormod's Crypts (and especially Force of Will and Daze). I see this format as really favoring combo. Decks like Counterbalance control, Dreadstill, all rely on having a lot of 4-ofs (Counterbalance, Brainstorm, Force of Will, Daze and you've already filled out ALL your four-ofs, let alone your mana base or any Tarmogoyfs or anything else you wanted to play, dreadnougths or stifles) to stop Tendrils decks. Without blue decks, Tendrils would really take off, and I don't think anybody wants to see Tendrils of Agony in a friendly environment.

Half the archetypes would become unplayable (because they rely on 6-7+ 4-ofs), and some decks are barely affected at all. Instead of forcing deck design diversity, it seems to just constrict deck options to decks that already run a lot of 1-ofs or run replaceable cards.

Cute idea, but I question any new format that fails to purge the old archetypes. People are as likely to dust of Fetchland Tendrils or Survival decks as they are to design something new.

Nihil Credo
11-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Moved to Casual.

Sek'Kuar
11-23-2008, 07:52 AM
I would rather play EDH if I had the money.

It's funny that you say that, because that is the exact reason I got into EDH. 1 Tarmogoyf costs a lot less than 4. I own 1 of most of the Legacy staples, but picking up a playset proved to be too much of a strain on this college student's wallet.

Captain Hammer
11-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for being receptive to the idea guys. :)

It depends on how far your friends take it and what the rules for sideboards are, but combo is typically "answered" by 4-ofs like Thorn of Amethyst or Tormod's Crypts (and especially Force of Will and Daze). I see this format as really favoring combo. Decks like Counterbalance control, Dreadstill, all rely on having a lot of 4-ofs (Counterbalance, Brainstorm, Force of Will, Daze and you've already filled out ALL your four-ofs, let alone your mana base or any Tarmogoyfs or anything else you wanted to play, dreadnougths or stifles) to stop Tendrils decks.

Well, we never really set any rules for the sideboard. As for Counterbalance control. Theres no reason it couldnt play 3 Counterbalance and 3 Daze but I get your point about mono colored decks.

We're thinking about getting rid of any restrictions on basic lands (so you can play 24 Island if you want, but the other 36 cards have to be 1/4th 4xs, 1/4th 3x etc), and we just might end up doing that. But so far, playing multicolored decks has been a lot of fun.

4eak
11-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Interesting concept. We'll try it out.

Peasant, Highlander, and Cube Drafting are generally the formats with which we have had pleasant diversity. This looks to be a happy medium between constructed goodstuff.format and diversity.

We've tried price-based deck building as well. Take current market values indexed by a site, start with X amount of dollars, and build the best deck you can. If you set that price to something like 25 or 50$, then the decks go all over the place.

peace,
4eak

conboy31
11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
If people around here were interested it seems fun. As mentioned it bridges the gap between 100 card singelton and 60 card decks that all pool from 40 cards.

As also mentioned, someone could adapt it to survival very easily. Looked at the DTB and found a decklist then almost copied it verbatim:

4x survival of the fittest
4x tarm
4x birds
4x stp
3x seize
3x heath
3x foothills
3x bayou
3x confidant
2x taiga
2x savanna
2x cabal therapy
2x goose
2x bmire
2x SDT
2x forest
1x rofellos
1x squee
1x anger
1x genesis
1x e witness
1x q ranger
1x teeg
1x shriek
1x bgh
1x masticore
1x harmonic
1x shock land
1x shock land
1x shock land
1x darkheart sliver

I would probably try putting together a horrible mono red control deck together.