PDA

View Full Version : Jak's EDH Deck (first try)

Jak
11-23-2008, 04:09 AM
I have been hearing about EDH all over and it sounds and looks fun. It's way cheaper than trying tu build a cube so I was in. I have more BWG cards than others so playing a BWG deck was the logical choice since I dont have a ton of cash to throw around. Here is what I have come up with by searching and looking at other decks and a little stuff of my own.

General
1 Teneb

Lands
1 Nantuko Monastery
1 Treetop Village
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Maze of Ith
3 On Color Duals
3 On Color Rav Duals
3 On Color Painlands
5 Fetches
3 On Color Karoo Lands
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Vesuva
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Volrath's Stronghold
3 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Plains -

Accel
1 Sol Ring
1 Nature's Lore
1 Farseek
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Wall of Roots

Creatures
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Eternal Witness
1 Doran
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Shriemaw
1 Tombstalker
1 Deranged Hermit
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Spiritmonger
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Mesmeric Fiend
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Genesis
1 Gigapede
1 Withering Wretch
1 Exalted Angel
1 Divinity of Pride

Planeswalkers
1 Garuuk
1 Elspeth

Draw/Tutors
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Crop Rotation
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Necropotence
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Scroll Rack

Removal/Board Control
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Condemn
1 Vindicate
1 Unmake
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Krosan Grip
1 Parralax Wave
1 Overwhelming Forces

Other Control
1 Duress
1 Thoughtseize
1 Hymn to Tourach

Equipment/Aura
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Umezawa's Jitte

Cool Stuff
1 Call of the Herd
1 Animate Dead
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Decree of Justice
1 Regrowth
1 Life from the Loam
1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Decree of Justice
1 Profane Command

Even 100, if I counted right. I really want this to be a nice Rock deck that can accel into a few fatties while kind of disrupting their hand and controlling the board. Use powerful tutors to get broken stuff and win. I am really unfamiliar with the format so I wasn't sure if combo was played. Just in case, I have 5 discard spells :(. Pretty lack luster and I might just cut it but I have them in there to add on to it later. So any thoughts or ideas with the deck or you can help me a bit with the kinds of decks I'll see. Thanks.

Sek'Kuar
11-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Try Teneb, The Harvester if you want BGW. Take it from me, Teneb's ability is far more useful than Doran's. Also, Teneb tends to draw more hate away from your other dudes.

Jak
11-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Teneb is my General.

Jak
11-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I cut the discard to add a Phantom Nishoba, Troll Ascetic, and Plaguelord. I also may cut the 2 "discard" creatures for some more accel or beats but the list has been okay.

So anyone? ..... Anyone?

frogboy
11-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Is this for multiplayer or for duels? It seems like some sort of midrange beatdown strategy is terrible when the other guy has 40 life.

THEchubbymuffin
11-24-2008, 02:26 AM
I would think that Land Tax would be good here.

Rood
11-24-2008, 04:11 AM
This deck is faill for one reason. You do not run Shatter.

For shame =(.

Jak
11-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I run Krosan Grip :)

@frogboy
It's for either. What would you reccomend to not make it suck?

Zach Tartell
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I run Krosan Grip :)

@frogboy
It's for either. What would you reccomend to not make it suck?

It depends very much on your meta. I, for instance, have to play against 2 combo decks (UB Dranlu, which is pretty much just UB Long, and Azami)(that's mono-u high tide with wizards to do shit and draw cards) pretty much every time I sit down. As such, I play Teeg (list to follow when my fucking pimp sleeves come in and I find a real camera).

My list boils down to a boring aggro-control build with some boring cheap beats (Hedge Troll, Troll Asterisk (that's how Firefox thought it was spelled), Tarmogoyf, Loxodon Heirararch, Ravenous Baloth), utility beats (Wickerboro Elder, Indrink Stomphowler, Ethersworn Cannonist, Mother of Runes, Galepower Mage), and then a couple scary fat creatures that go bump in the night (the Liege in my colors, Stonehewer Giant, Quagnoth, Phantom Nishoba).

It depends on the roll you want to play. If you're in a meta where you can waste time, just play green for acceleration (Kodama's Reach, Primal Growth + mana dorks, Life from the Loam, Solemn Simulacrum), lots of removal (Sowrds, Diabolic Edict, Chainer's Edict, Pernicious Deed, Damnation, Wrath, Austere Command, Overwhelming Forces, Decree of Pain), and monsters (Visra, Phantom Nishoba, Adykar Valkyrie, Twilight Shepard, Child of Gaea) shit to fill up your hand (Ambition's Cost, Harmonize), and tricks (Debtor's Knell, Staff of Domination, Head Games, Evangelize), and tutors (Demonic, Vampiric, Diabolic, Imperial Seal, Beseech the Queen).

You need to keep in mind what you're playing against, duels or multiplayer, and proxies or no proxies.

frogboy
11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
UB Long sounds interesting, actually. I should try messing with that.

re: Teneb.dec: I'd probably cut all the creatures for cards that are broken.

Jak
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you. I have never played EDH, but I think it would be awesome. I have no idea what I would face. I will try out some more anti-combo stuff since now I know I may see some form of combo.

Frogboy, please show me your broken-ness.

frogboy
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I dunno, like, do something powerful instead of just running out some dumb animals that will just die. Draw more cards and rape the other guy's hand more. My EDH list is posted on here somewhere but in general you want to be doing things that make it really hard for them to win, either just by getting up on cards or getting the board to such a state that they can't come back.

Jak
11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I dunno, like, do something powerful instead of just running out some dumb animals that will just die. Draw more cards and rape the other guy's hand more. My EDH list is posted on here somewhere but in general you want to be doing things that make it really hard for them to win, either just by getting up on cards or getting the board to such a state that they can't come back.

I still dont really know how the format is. I was trying to play disruption but running only the good discard spells i see in Legacy wasnt really enough. I plan on making a few changes.

+ Teeg
+ Canonist
+ Thoughtseize
+ Duress
+ Hymn
+ Harmonize
+ Persecute

Cut some stuff like Paguelord, Wall of Roots, Yavimaya Elder, etc. Is there any other disruption that's good? Mind Twist maybe? Also, how fast are the combo decks?

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
You would be utterly crushed with that deck in multiplayer, but in single player it's the other way around.

Is this for single or multiplayer?

frogboy
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Loxodon: Any control deck would massacre the deck in the OP.

Jak: Yeah, those would be good. I have no idea if combo decks are actually real in EDH or not, but if they're not then Canonist is miserable. The thing is, people have so much life that you can't really hope to win via the attack step because there are so many cards that kill your guys for value. You have to just pick something brutal and go with that, either getting up on cards or doing something stupid with Tinker or going infinite somehow.

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Loxodon: Any control deck would massacre the deck in the OP.

Jak: Yeah, those would be good. I have no idea if combo decks are actually real in EDH or not, but if they're not then Canonist is miserable. The thing is, people have so much life that you can't really hope to win via the attack step because there are so many cards that kill your guys for value. You have to just pick something brutal and go with that, either getting up on cards or doing something stupid with Tinker or going infinite somehow.

Go token. I play EDH alot and every deck tends to pack at least like 10 boardsweepers (Wrath, Damnation, Final Judgement, etc.), and with tokens you can just rebuild with 80000000000 more dudes on your next play. Playing creatures like goyf and doran and attacking just doesn't work that well.

frogboy
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
What token generators do you use? And again, what do you do when they go about doing something broken and then nuke your board as an afterthought despite taking like thirty damage?

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-24-2008, 09:32 PM
What token generators do you use? And again, what do you do when they go about doing something broken and then nuke your board as an afterthought despite taking like thirty damage?

Uhm usually i play chaos multiplayer, which is just nuts fun. But i use like Sacred Mesa, Mobilization, Rhys the Redeemed is my general, stuff like that.

If you take thirty damage in one turn, you should probably just be dead anyway, and if they nuke your board, then you are dead anyway. I'm talking about creature nuke cards. Bc in multiplayer if you nuke someone's board, then everyone buttrapes you.

frogboy
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Well obviously in multiplayer the entire dynamic changes, but if you're playing one on one what I said holds.

Jak
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
So I basically need to run blue to even be competitive? Doesn't sound like a ton of fun. Maybe run Geddon? Add a Sacred Mesa?

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Well obviously in multiplayer the entire dynamic changes, but if you're playing one on one what I said holds.

i definitely agree with you

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-25-2008, 04:28 AM
So I basically need to run blue to even be competitive? Doesn't sound like a ton of fun. Maybe run Geddon? Add a Sacred Mesa?

oh no you don't need blue to win at all. your deck in one on one should crush most people, besides hardcore control decks.

im just saying in multiplayer, bc that's all the EDH i play is multiplayer. but adding some sort of token generator isn't that bad bc late game you are gonne be sitting on like 15 mana with nothing to spend it on.

just a suggestion :smile:

Shabbaman
11-25-2008, 05:41 AM
im just saying in multiplayer, bc that's all the EDH i play is multiplayer. but adding some sort of token generator isn't that bad bc late game you are gonne be sitting on like 15 mana with nothing to spend it on.

Yup.

What's your late game plan? You won't win with simple beats. You can use Goyf and Doran as an early defender, but that's about it. You should expand the "cool stuff section", or build your deck around your "cool stuff". For instance, you're running T&N, so run creatures that combo with it. You have Profane command, but have you considered the green command instead? Goes nicely with the Witness you already run. Corpse dance instead of animate dead, Slaughter instead of Condemn.

As for your "answers", a card like Hymn is great, but not in multiplayer. You need either recurring threats or bigger effects. Think Mindslicer. If you want to run discard, Raven's crime is solid. While we're talking about Retrace, Worm harvest is probably better than CotH. You're already light on card draw, so you'd have to focus on recurring the threats you have. Still, there is card draw available in green: Sylvan library with Abundance, Krosan tusker, Yavimaya elder. And in black, look no further than Promise of Power.

If you're afraid of facing combo, you could load up on graveyard hate. You have a single Withered wretch, I'd definately run Loaming shaman. As you can use it on yourself it's never a dead card. If you take care of graveyard hate combo, you can put the blame on "the white player" if the table loses to creature based combo and put the blame on "the blue player" if the table loses "random cards combo".

EDIT: oh, recurring nightmare is banned in EDH.

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Still, there is card draw available in green: Sylvan library with Abundance, Krosan tusker, Yavimaya elder.

Yeah run Abundance, it's required. I've won a few games just by sitting back with my moat up and letting my opponent mill themselves. Abundance also prevents late game mill, look it up on the gatherer if you don't believe me.

Also if you are running fatties, look into Greater Good. I have sacrificed Multuni or however you spell it, to Greater Good, and drew like 30 cards and won the next turn.

Jak
11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Revised List

General
1 Teneb

Lands
1 Nantuko Monastery
1 Treetop Village
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Maze of Ith
3 On Color Duals
3 On Color Rav Duals
3 On Color Painlands
5 Fetches
3 On Color Karoo Lands
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Vesuva
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Volrath's Stronghold
3 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Plains

Accel
1 Sol Ring
3 On Color Signets
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Elves of Deep Shadow

Creatures
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Eternal Witness
1 Doran
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Shriemaw
1 Tombstalker
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Spiritmonger
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Mesmeric Fiend
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Genesis
1 Gigapede
1 Withering Wretch
1 Exalted Angel
1 Divinity of Pride
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Krosan Tusker
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Planeswalkers
1 Garuuk
1 Elspeth

Draw/Tutors
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Crop Rotation
1 Necropotence
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Scroll Rack
1 Harmonize
1 Abundance
1 Promis of Power

Removal/Board Control
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Condemn
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Vindicate
1 Unmake
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Aura of Silence
1 Krosan Grip
1 Overwhelming Forces
1 Wrath of God
1 Damnation

Other Control
1 Duress
1 Thoughtseize
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Ravages of War
1 Armageddon

Equipment/Aura
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Umezawa's Jitte

Cool Stuff
1 Sacred Mesa
1 Mobilization
1 Animate Dead
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Decree of Justice
1 Regrowth
1 Life from the Loam
1 Decree of Justice
1 Profane Command

I am quite a few cards over. Any ideas of how to win without attacking? Tendrils doesn't look great. Any thing else that's okay. Also, I know the list is like 110-something cards, but I dont want to cut anything until I actually have a good strategy to win without the combat phase.

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Revised List

General
1 Teneb

Lands
1 Nantuko Monastery
1 Treetop Village
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Maze of Ith
3 On Color Duals
3 On Color Rav Duals
3 On Color Painlands
5 Fetches
3 On Color Karoo Lands
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Vesuva
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Volrath's Stronghold
3 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Plains

Accel
1 Sol Ring
3 On Color Signets
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Elves of Deep Shadow

Creatures
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Eternal Witness
1 Doran
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Shriemaw
1 Tombstalker
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Spiritmonger
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Mesmeric Fiend
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Genesis
1 Gigapede
1 Withering Wretch
1 Exalted Angel
1 Divinity of Pride
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Krosan Tusker
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Planeswalkers
1 Garuuk
1 Elspeth

Draw/Tutors
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Crop Rotation
1 Necropotence
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Scroll Rack
1 Harmonize
1 Abundance
1 Promis of Power

Removal/Board Control
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Condemn
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Vindicate
1 Unmake
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Aura of Silence
1 Krosan Grip
1 Overwhelming Forces
1 Wrath of God
1 Damnation

Other Control
1 Duress
1 Thoughtseize
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Ravages of War
1 Armageddon

Equipment/Aura
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Umezawa's Jitte

Cool Stuff
1 Sacred Mesa
1 Mobilization
1 Animate Dead
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Decree of Justice
1 Regrowth
1 Life from the Loam
1 Decree of Justice
1 Profane Command

I am quite a few cards over. Any ideas of how to win without attacking? Tendrils doesn't look great. Any thing else that's okay. Also, I know the list is like 110-something cards, but I dont want to cut anything until I actually have a good strategy to win without the combat phase.

Here is my suggestions for cutting:Sol Ring, Elves of Deep Shadow, Gaddock Teeg(He cuts off alot of cards in your deck), Mesmeric Fiend, Slaughter Pact, Duress, Hymm to Tourach, and if you want you can cut the LftL Engine and the Armageddon/Ravages of War all together. Discard is just bad for EDH.

frogboy
11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
I would probably kill a man for the ability to always have Sol Ring in my opening hand.

Add Rout.

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I would probably kill a man for the ability to always have Sol Ring in my opening hand.

Add Rout.

listen to frogboy.

run rout haha

forreal.

Jak
11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh crap I totally forgot about Rout. Yeah that's in. I'll try out the cuts. Can you guys post your lists, even if they are completely different then mine so I know what I expect to see?

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh crap I totally forgot about Rout. Yeah that's in. I'll try out the cuts. Can you guys post your lists, even if they are completely different then mine so I know what I expect to see?

Yeah i left mine in my friend's car but i'll post it the next time i have my deck.

Run a storage land or two, they usually get like 10 plus counter a game, which is always good to cast fat stuff with one land. And the only reason i suggested you cut some accel is bc you run 30+ land, and tutors and draw spells. You should get land each game.

Shabbaman
11-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Also if you are running fatties, look into Greater Good. I have sacrificed Multuni or however you spell it, to Greater Good, and drew like 30 cards and won the next turn.

Oh crap, Greater good! Brilliant! I don't know how I could've missed that, because my deck revolves around...

Can you guys post your lists, even if they are completely different then mine so I know what I expect to see?

...sacrificing:

general
1 Savra, queen of the Golgari

creatures
1 Spike weaver
1 Spike feeder
1 grave-shell scarab
1 stinkweed imp
1 spiritmonger
1 brooding saurian
1 shambling shell
1 Fleshbag marauder
1 Creakwood liege
1 sakura tribe elder
1 yavimaya elder
1 krosan tusker
1 twisted abomination
1 sadistic hypnotist -> Mindslicer
1 visara the dreadful
1 Shriekmaw
1 Helldozer
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 avatar of woe
1 Midnight banshee
1 necroskitter
1 withered wretch
1 woodfall primus
1 loaming shaman
1 puppeteer clique
1 eternal witness
1 Magus of the coffers

spells
1 Sudden death -> Sudden spoiling?
1 Putrefy
1 Tendrils of corruption
1 Pernicious deed
1 Nevinyrrals disk -> Oblivion stone?
1 Damnation
1 Living dead
1 Mutilate
1 Grave pact
1 phyrexian arena
1 Promise of Power
1 sword of fire and ice
1 skullclamp
1 Sylvan library
1 Abundance
1 Sensei's divining top
1 Sol ring
1 scapeshift
1 worm harvest
1 crop rotation
1 life from the loam
1 regrowth
1 grim harvest -> Genesis
1 deathrender
1 beacon of unrest
1 dread return -> profane command
1 tortured existence -> Survival?
1 corpse dance
1 entomb
1 demonic tutor
1 vampiric tutor
1 beseech the queen -> primal command
1 staff of domination
1 Lightning greaves
1 Thousand year elixir

11 swamp
7 forest
1 cabal coffers
1 Leechridden swamp
1 dakmor salvage
1 Vesuva
1 dust bowl -> Thawing glaciers
1 Twilight mire
1 barren moor
1 Tranquil thicket
1 Bayou
1 Overgrown tomb
1 Llanowar wastes
1 Golgari rotfarm
1 wasteland
1 strip mine
1 svotghos, the restless tomb
1 Terramorphic expanse
1 unholy grotto
1 volrath's stronghold

28 creatures, 37 lands. There are some cards that I want to add, but that I don't have or that are in other decks (like Genesis and Survival, which are in my survival-deck, duh). But the cards that I have in their place are very nice as well. Tortured existance draws a lot less attention than Survival, and Grim harvest might even be better than Genesis! Well, without Survival that is.

The idea behind the deck is that creatures won't stick around for long anyway, so better do something with their departure. Hence the ability to sacrifice (echo, evoke), or some persist, or recursion. I'd like to work in some planeswalkers and perhaps Bone shredder. And Greater good! I had a Quillspike in it, but somehow people kill it on sight.

Loxodon Baileyarch
11-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Here is my list, it's Thanksgiving morning and i can't fucking sleep go me. My deck is an Enchantment based deck that wins with tokens or through random other beats.

My general is Rhys the Redeemed.

Lands:

12 Plains
9 Forest
1 Forbidding Watchtower
1 Vitu Ghazi, City Tree
1 New Benalia
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Temple Garden
1 Savannah
1 Quicksand
1 Selenysa Sanctuary
1 Elfhame Palace
1 Artic Flats
1 Brushland
1 Urza's Factory
1 Treetop Village
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Arrest

Enchantments:

1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
1 Story Circle
1 Sterling Grove
1 Righteous Aura
1 Pacifism
1 Sylvan Library
1 Humility
1 Abundance
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Temporal Isolation
1 Divine Presence
1 Mobilization
1 Rites of Flourishing
1 Cage of Hands
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Glare of the Subdual
1 Ivory Mask
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Worship
1 Hobble
1 Reverence
1 Privileged Position
1 Ghostly Prison

Creatures:

1 Kami of Ancient Law
1 Thornscape Familiar
1 Argothian Enchantress
1 Pristine Angel
1 Platinum Angel
1 Selenysa Guildmage
1 Academy Rector
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Fertilid
1 Blazing Archon
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Mother of Runes
1 Mesa Enchantress
1 Eternal Witness
1 Magus of The Moat
1 Verduran Enchantress
1 Krosan Tusker
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Civic Wayfinder

Artifacts:

1 Meekstone
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Mind's Eye
1 Skull of Orm
1 Staff of Domination
1 Crawlspace

Sorcery:

1 Hour of Reckoning
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Final Judgement
1 Wrath of God
1 Decree of Justice
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Austere Command
1 Heroes Remembered
1 Harmonize

Instant:

1 Respite
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Worldy Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Congregate
1 Return to Dust

Some of the card choices might seem odd, like Congregate for example, but just trust me on this one. I played a 3 hour game of EDH against my friend tonight and barely won by gaining 84 life while he was attacking away. Then i proceeded to make Urza's Factory tokens and doubling them with Rhys. I ended up with like 84 2/2s for the headshot after three hours of grueling play. He freaking Austere Command 4 times during that game taking out all of my enchantments 4 times. The only edit i would make is like, -1 Heroes Remembered for +1 Replenish. I like to fix the deck and put in cards i like whenever i find new cards i like so it's a constantly changing enchantment deck.

Poesjuh
11-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Nah, you don't need to run blue. However, in MP you need to be able to come back from a WoG or some other global effect. A Tarmogoyf is nice to draw early game, but when you don't draw it it's really a dead card, just a simple vanilla creature with no evasion whatsoever. Creatures in EDH need to be strong, have evasion, some kind of cool ability, shroud, etc. Your opponents should be scared when you play a creature, a Goyf just doesn't scare them.

Edit: since you play the same general as I do, here's my list, just for some inspiration perhaps :)

General:
Teneb the Harvester ==> duh...

Mana + mana acc.: 37 land, 5 artifact acc
Darksteel Ingot
Golgari Signet
Orzhov Signet
Selesnya Signet
Sol Ring
2 Forest
4 Plains
3 Swamp
3 Duals (Bayou, Savannah, Scrubland)
3 Shockduals (Godless Shrine, Overgrown Tomb, Temple Garden)
3 Painlands (Brushland, Caves of Koilos, Llanowar Wastes)
3 Bounce lands (Golgari Rot Farm, Orzhov Basilica, Selesnya Sanctuary)
5 Fetch (Mire, Strand, Delta, Heath, Foothills)
Cabal Coffers
City of Brass
Gemstone Mine
Krosan Verge
Murmuring Bosk
Maze of Ith
Strip Mine
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva
Volrath's Stronghold
Wasteland

Equipments, aura's: 3 Quietus Spike
Sword of Light and Shadow
Umezawa's Jitte

Tutors and other draw effects: 13
Scroll Rack
Ambition's Cost
Ancient Craving
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Necropotence
Vampiric Tutor
Crop Rotation
Harmonize
Natures Lore
Sylvan Scrying
Tooth and Nail
Land Tax

Spot-removal: 6
Ashes to Ashes
Mortify
Putrefy
Unmake
Vindicate
Swords to Plowshares

Global-removal: 6
Damnation
Overwhelming Forces
Pernicious Deed
Armageddon
Cataclysm
Wrath of God

Other Spells: 11
Necromancy
Profane Command
Debtors' Knell
Mirari's Wake
Crush of Wurms
Life from the Loam
Regrowth
Restock
Survival of the Fittest
Congregate
Decree of Justice

Critters: 19
Bone Shredder
Desolation Angel
Fleshbag Marauder
Visara the Dreadful
Angel of Despair
Divinity of Pride
Mystic Enforcer
Spiritmonger
Eternal Witness
Forgotten Ancient
Genesis
Spike Weaver
Thorn Elemental
Wickerbough Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Exalted Angel
Karmic Guide
Reya Dawnbringer

frogboy
11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh wow, I totally forgot about storage lands. Those are so sick.

Jak
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Since I really didn't name a specific deck in the title, I don't mind posting my new EDH list with a different General. I really wanted to play blue to smooth out the draws I was getting. GBW has no cheap cantrips so it gets rough. I also wanted to keep white since it has the best removal. The next color was kind of difficult, but to just get to it, I chose black. I chose Sharuum as my general since blue usually plays Tinker so why not make my deck Artifact based and just abuse those two. Anyway, I have pretty much the whole deck purchased minus some lands so I wanted to post it to get some help.

General
SHARUUM, the Hegemon

Lands
1 Tundra
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Mystic Gate
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Underground Sea
1 Watery Grave
1 Underground River
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Dimir Aquaduct
1 Scrubland
1 Godless Shrine
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Fetid Heath
1 Orzhov Basilica
1 Arcane Sanctum
1 Vesuva
1 Windswept Heath
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Ancient Den
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Academy Ruins
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Calciform Pools
1 Tolaria West
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

Accel
1 Mox Diamond
1 Chrome Mox
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Azorius Signet
1 Orzhov Signet
1 Dimir Signet
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Talisman of Progress
1 Obelisk of Esper
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Mind Stone

Draw
1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Impulse
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Compulsive Research
1 Frantic Search
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Brilliant Ultimatum

Tutors
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Entomb
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Intuition
1 Gifts Ungiven

Imma Thief
1 Bribery
1 Control Magic
1 Take Possession
1 Treachery
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Animate Dead

Control
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Condemn
1 Executioner's Capsule
1 Dispeller's Capsule
1 Aura of Silence
1 Vindicate
1 Proteus Staff
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Wrath of God
1 Damnation
1 Scourglass

Planeswalkers
1 Tezzeret, the Seeker

Creatures
1 Gilded Drake
1 Duplicant
1 Memnarch
1 Sundering Titan
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Sphinx Sovereign
1 Sharding Sphinx
1 Trinket Mage
1 Sanctum Gargoyle
1 Mistmeadow Witch
1 Disciple of the Vault
1 Metalworker

Equipment
1 Lightning Greaves

Other
1 Skeleton Shard
1 Mindslaver
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Momentary Blink

A few cards over but I am still tinkering with it to cut it down. If I ever get a Time Vault, it is going in for the combo with Tez/Voltaic Key (I would have to run this though). Why is it that no one else runs it?

Jak
12-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Change in list!

After I posted, I have been working non-stop with the deck. Just goldfishing to see if it runs smoothly, getting the right colors, etc. I want more basics first of all.

-3 Shadowmoor lands
+1 Island
+1 Plains
+1 Swamp

I also wanted to add cremate to stop annoying crap like Loam.

+1 Cremate
-1 Damnation (I have a ton of draw and removal always cluttered up my hand)

+1 Time Vault (too good, most likely will proxy and hope it's allowed)
-1 Skeleton Shard (figured out the tough way that I can't return Slaver :$)
-1 Executioner's Capsule (it's an artifact, but lackluster removal)
-1 Metalworker (I just could never get this guy to produce more than 2. I used all my artifact mana accelerating him into play and I am also reducing the artifact count to incorporate more powerful cards)

So that brings me down to 103 cards.

Possible additions...

Counterspells (force, drain, c-spell, mana leak, etc)
Scarecrone (most definitely)
...to be continued

Shabbaman
12-02-2008, 04:08 AM
That looks like a nice deck. I'm not sold on the cheap artifact acceleration though. I've read Nightmare's suggestion, and I'm surely going to try it. But I haven't seen anyone play it ever (like that's a golden standard for deckbuilding, heh). In your deck it seems to make some sense, because you want a lot of artifacts. I'd try to work in some deed-protection. Trickbind and Stifle come to mind. Or some regular counterspells.

I think there's only 1 card you really miss in this list: Capsize. The second a should be a capital as well, C.A.psize. It's really good in multiplayer. The other buyback spell worth mentioning works with your theme (artifact reanimation), but isn't really noteworthy otherwise: Forbid.

DJ Catchem
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
+1 Time Vault (too good, most likely will proxy and hope it's allowed)
-1 Skeleton Shard (figured out the tough way that I can't return Slaver :$)
-1 Executioner's Capsule (it's an artifact, but lackluster removal)
-1 Metalworker (I just could never get this guy to produce more than 2. I used all my artifact mana accelerating him into play and I am also reducing the artifact count to incorporate more powerful cards)

...Scarecrone (most definitely)
...to be continued

Your problem is that you're sacrificing a *ton* of synergy for the sake of running spells that seem like bombs to you. (I'm averaging 6 mana from my Metalworker in my Sharuum build!) This deck doesn't seem to get off the ground because it is using Sharuum as a general but not capitalizing on the artifact slant. Some synergistic thoughts-

-Executioner's Capsule should be in. It's not lackluster...it's an artifact, and it doesn't miss much. Sharuum brings it back. Metalworker makes more mana with it in your hand. In this deck, it's better than a lot of removal you're already packing. Cards that work like this are better inclusions than one-shots like Condemn.

-You have nine draw spells, and only one is an artifact. Where is Mind's Eye? Etherium Astrolabe?

-Removal...whay Wrath Of God, but no Engineered Explosives? It's an artifact, Trinket Mage grabs it, etc...

-Land...Where's Miren? Sac outlets are good when your general has a CIP ability that matters...not to mention creatures like Titan.

Miren/Astrolabe->Sharuum->Crystal Shard->Mindslaver/Capsule/...synergistic combos are good.

-Remember, it's EDH. You can pay a bit more for a better effect. Momentary Blink is great for a few turns; Flickerform keeps going and going. (Sharuum/'Form/Mindslaver?)

Synergy is key here. You don't need to pack in a bunch of strategies if you can focus on a few good ones. You shouldn't force in a ton of stuff like counters and control spells just because they're the best in color.

Here's the list I've been running for several weeks:

Sharuum, The Hegemon
Etherium Sculptor
Solemn Simulacrum
Metalworker
Duplicant
Masticore
Arcanis
Angel Of Despair
Memnarch
Scarecrone
Mistmeadow Witch
Sanctum Gargoyle
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Trinket Mage
Darksteel Colossus
Archbound Crusher
Sphinx Sovereign
Sundering Titan
Disciple Of The Vault

Sensei's Divining Top
Fact Or Fiction
Etherium Astrolabe
Mind's Eye
Thirst For Knowledge
Gifts Ungiven
Mystical Tutor
Merchant Scroll
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Transmute Artifact
Intuition
Enlightened Tutor
Argivian Restoration
Argivian Find
Reconstruction
Tinker
Oblivion Stone
Soulscour
Nevinyrrl's Disk
Dispeller's Capsule
Vindicate
Engineered Explosives
Executioner's Capsule
Scourglass
Crystal Shard
Staff Of Domination
Proteus Staff
Rings Of Brighthearth
Mindslaver
Tezzerer, The Seeker
Corpse Dance
Flickerform
Tormod's Crypt
Debtor's Knell
Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Sculpting Steel
Grim Monolith
Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot
Azorius Signet
Dimir Signet
Orzhov Signet
Gilded Lotus

Mystic Gate
Sunken Ruins
Fetid Heath
Dimir Aquaduct
Orzhov Basilica
Tundra
Underground Sea
Scrubland
Azorius Chancery
Arcane Sanctum
Glimmervoid
Reflecting Pool
Esper Panorama
Flooded Strand
Polluted Delta
Terramorphic Expanse
Darksteel Citadel
Ancient Tomb
Tolaria West
Ancient Den
Seat Of The Synod
Vault Of Whispers
Barren Moor
Lonely Sandbar
Secluded Steppe
Vesuva
Urza's Factory
Academy Ruins
Tolarian Academy
Volrath's Stronghold
Strip Mine
Miren, The Moaning Well
Maze Of Ith
Island
Swamp
Plains

--->DJ

IndyTerminator
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
@DJ: I noticed you weren't running Tidehollow Sculler with Mistmeadow Witch. Any reasons? One of the guys that plays EDH with me has a Sharuum deck and can be crippling at times as you rip cards out of hands permanently. If there's a stronger card I would play it though. Also, I've seen Arcum Daggson do some nutty things in this deck (not that he isn't on his own).

DJ Catchem
12-03-2008, 11:01 AM
@DJ: I noticed you weren't running Tidehollow Sculler with Mistmeadow Witch. Any reasons? One of the guys that plays EDH with me has a Sharuum deck and can be crippling at times as you rip cards out of hands permanently. If there's a stronger card I would play it though. Also, I've seen Arcum Daggson do some nutty things in this deck (not that he isn't on his own).

I don't run any discard or counters in my build (instead choosing to focus on removal and my own combos and offensive capabilities), so I'd never really considered the Sculler. It's a good combo, but the big problem is that it's a slow-but-irritating combo, which usually makes you a big target in my group.

It might be worth inclusion once Vault gets the ax, though. Currently, I'm just using the Witch as a means of abusing Sharuum's CIP trigger, with the occasional Titan in there as well.

2) Dagsson is certainly worth a slot if you can find room. I tend to steer clear of creatures that don't have abilities I can use immediately (Masticore), CIP abilities (Sharuum), or combo pieces (Witch). My other problem is a low creature count. Ultimately, though, he could be a good fit. Perhaps in the place of a tutor (most likely Enlightened).

--->DJ