PDA

View Full Version : [Report]5th with TopRock

citanul
11-24-2008, 05:46 AM
I went to play in the MCM Legacy tournament on 23/11/2008. 57 people showed up. I ended 5th in the swiss and lost in the quarter finals to the eventual winner, Goblins.

We gathered on Saturday evening in the pub for some final testing. 5 of us were planning on going. Me playing TopRock, Jelle playing TopRock, Jelle2 playing Fahad MUC, Wim playing DreadStill and Mike playing UG Madness. The game I wanted to test was Fahad MUC because it kicked me out of the quarters last tournament there and I was sure some people where playing it. I altered my game plan against the deck which felt good but very slow. One even resulted in the MUC player decking after 65 minutes, not something we can do in a tournament.

We went home around 2 in the morning. Jelle2 stayed at my place. We planned on leaving around 9.30 so we would have an hour and a half to get there. They are to late, again! I call the organiser saying we would be arriving just in time so they could wait a few minutes. Decklists are written in the car, making it a struggle on it’s own.

We arrive right in time and are instantly seated for the decklist gathering. Cards still being thrown around between us so everyone would have it’s deck complete. I played my own petdeck, TopRock.

Decklist:

Creatures:
4x Tarmogoyf
3x Jotun grunt
3x Shriekmaw
4x Dark Confidant
2x Tombstalker

Artifacts/Enchantments:
3x Sensei's Divining Top
3x Pernicious Deed

Sorcery/Instant:
4x StP
4x Vindicate
4x Thoughtseize
3x Life from the Loam

Land:
1x Volraths Stronghold
3x Mishra's factory
4x Windswepth Heath
2x Bloodstained Mire
3x Wasteland
1x Savannah
2x bayou
3x Scrubland
2x Forest
1x Plains
1x Swamp

Sideboard:
4x Thorn of Amethyst
4x Choke
4x Tormod's Crypt
3x Krosan Grip

Not much changed over the last 4 tournaments to the list, except I decided to play 4 Choke in the sideboard over 4 Duress this time. Blue is my new archenemy.

Round1:
I know this guy from the last two tournaments. He played Welder Survival then so I’m putting my money on him playing it again. I was correct.

Game1:
I keep a hand of 2 Mishra’s Factory, 2 Fetchland, Bayou, Wasteland, Jotun Grunt. I should’ve thrown it but kept anyway. He leads with Taiga, BoP. I Wasteland. I Thoughtseize away a Reanimate. Not much happens as he drops a 0/7 artifact to stop my factories for a while. He finds a bayou and casts Oona’s Prowler. I StP it, he discards a Genesis in response. A grunt from my side gets rid of that, followed by the mighty Tombstalker resulting in a win.

Game2:
He opens with Chrome Mox, imprinting Reanimate, fetchland into Taiga, play Survival. I drop Forest, SDT, Crypt. Land on his side, Grip on the Crypt. I top, find three land on top and fetch it away. He Therapies, naming StP which I am not holding and Grips my Top. I drop another Top while he is empty handed by now. I win after Vindicating his Survival.

1-0-0 (2-0)

I scout a bit, seeing what everyone is playing. I notice some Rock decks being played but all of them are running Kitchen Finks, Loxodon Hierarch. Apparently Baptist had build a version of Rock and two people where playing it. Seems no one has even bothered to pick up my deck. Ah well, means no one knows the weak points either.

Round2:
It’s a French guy. He speaks English though so no problem. The Judge thinks different and takes the guy apart. Some time passes as I chat with the people beside me, one of them being Johan Steurs. He usually plays Rock as well but has switched to Team America. My opponent comes back to the table, followed by the judge. He has received a game loss due to having 14 sideboard cards on his list. I get explained that he gets to choice who starts and that there is no sideboarding yet. He elects to go first.

Game1 (or is it Game2):
Opens with a Fetchland. I do the same. I Wasteland his Factory. He drops a Wasteland. I drop Factory, play Loam getting back Wasteland + Fetchland. He Wastelands my factory and I waste his Tundra and play a freshly drawn SDT. Island on his side. Some turns pass where he is low on mana but manages to keep my threats away. I play tarmogoyf, Spell Snared. I then remove all cards in yard except a Wasteland to play a Tombstalker. It gets Plowed. I don’t manage to find much with Top, should’ve kept Loam in the yard. I try to Vindicate his Island but it gets FoW’ed. Some turns pass where he gets land and manages to counter the few threats I find. He plays a Standstill with Fearie Conclave out. I have the Wasteland but don’t want to use it yet. I keep on sculpting my hand with SDT while he stays in topdeck mode. At 8 cards I Thoughtseize, which receives a trigger from the Standstill and a counter. Threats are played and countered + Plowed.

So the game is still going on, no threats on either side as he keeps killing my Grunts with EE, plow, Counter. I have a Volrath’s Stronghold so they just keep coming. Crucible comes down. I Vindicate it as it’s the only card in that deck that might lose me the game. Eventually he gets 2 Mishra’s Factory, 1 Conclave against my 1 Factory, 1 Wasteland. I attack with factory, he double blocks as he should and I just assign damage. He pumps as expected. Pernicious Deed gets countered so I double Plow the factories. He Enlightened tutors and finds nothing. I win on the power of SDT and recursion with Volrath’s Stronghold.

2-0-0 (3-0)

I go and see to Jelle’s match against Ichorid. It’s Game3, opponent has double Narcomoeba, double Golgari and 2 Tokens. Deed on the table with enough mana and 1 bridge in the yard. He attacks and Deed does not get blown but Jelle goes to 1 life. Mistake according to me as he had the Goyf + Vindicate to stabilise from those tokens. Better than hoping for topdeck into another Deed. During the next attack step Deed bins the creatures but no tokens are created. A bystander points this out and I tell him to be quiet. A judge was viewing this match and asks Jelle if he knew the Bridge was there. He did and gets called apart while tokens are being put into play. Apparently Bridge doesn’t say ‘may’, it’s obliged. Jelle gets a game loss, not that he would’ve won anyway.

Round3:
Against Johan Steurs. I knows he’s playing Team America and am eager to finally find out if I can win this. Didn’t plan the testing for that deck yet. I win the die roll which will probably mean a lot.

Game1:
I keep a hand with Windswepth Heath, Forest, Scrubland, Goyf, Vindicate, Pernicious Deed and Loam. I fetch directly into a Forest. He opens with fetch into Underground Sea into Ponder. I play a Wasteland, grabbing the Sea. Another Ponder for him and I Loam back my Wasteland. He plays a Tarmogoyf. I Wasteland his Tropical, taking a hit for 2 the turn after. I try to play a Goyf of my own but after a Brainstorm it gets Dazed. Thoughtseize takes away my Vindicate and leaves me with a Deed. I start to take 4 damage from the Goyf by now. Jotun Grunt catches a FoW and my resolved Tarmogoyf the turn after gets Snuffed Out. I manage to kill the goyf when I’m on 3 while he’s running out of cards. He finds a Tombstalker as his last card in hand after two Brainstorm. My Vindicate gets rid of it and a Loam + Wasteland take out all his land.

Game2:
He opens with Underground Sea, Ponder. I play a Mishra’s Factory into SDT. He Wastelands. I draw, play land, pass. No creature on his side. I top, find 2 top and a land. I take the land, fetch which resolves. My Loam gets Dazed. SDT reveals 2 Top and a land the turn after. I dredge Loam, play Wasteland on his Underground Sea. He finds another and drops a Tarmogoyf. SDT gives a Shriekmaw but it get’s FoW’ed. Recursion keeps going on with Volrath’s Stronghold and takes out the Tarmogoyf. His Tombstalker catches another StP. Jotun Grunt then cleans his yard so he can’t play another Stalker while Wasteland on his Tropical keeps him of the green mana. He then fetches into Bayou, drops Tarmogoyf but I have to much advantage by now and win the game soon after.

3-0-0 (5-0)

I trashtalk a bit in between rounds which I shouldn’t. Only Jelle2 is 3-0-0 as well and we get paired

Round4:
Against Jelle2 with Fahad MUC. We discussed before that if we get paired after round 3 with 0 loss, 0 draw we’d ID. This means we only have to win one of the two remaining games.

3-0-1 (5-0)

We eat some food and watch Fahad play against Eva Green on the table next to us.

Round5:
Ilja with UWb Standstill. I put him on Swan combo but I was wrong.

Game1:
Wasteland + Loam take out 2 land until he plays an Extirpate on my Loam. I play an SDT. Standstill comes down and we both have a Factory + SDT in play. I am holding a second one though and one keeps going in for 3 damage until Ilja is at 4 and decides to block. Mishra’s trade. I hit for 2 the turn after. Ilja has to break his own Standstill with a Brainstorm, finds nothing and scoops.

Game2:
Again, Wasteland + Loam take out his lands. He plays a Standstill which I break with a Thoughtseize. He then plays another Standstill with only 2 Tundra, I play Choke, he draws 3 but it still resolves. He scoops them up rather frustrated.

4-0-1 (7-0)

Jelle2 just went 1-1 against Goblins with Kira beatdown.

Round6:
Fahad with Fahad MUC. He wants to play but I don’t. The match up is really boring so we ID.

4-0-2 (7-0)

Jelle2 lost against It’s The Fear so he won’t be in top8 with 3-1-2. Wim ended 3-3-0 as did Jelle. Mike went 0-4-0 drop.

Top8 consists of 2x Goblins, Eva Green, Fahad MUC, Painters Servant, TopRock, It’s The Fear and Goyf Sligh.

Quarterfinals:
The Goblin player where Jelle2 played against in round5. He wins the Die roll.

Game1:
I keep a hand of Plains, Swamp, double Confidant, Goyf, Goyf, Tombstalker. Should be fine if it isn’t turn1 Lackey. He has it but only drops a Warchief with another Lackey. I play Confidant to chump, Stingscourger puts it back and he swings for 6. Lackey trigger into a Matron for Stingscourger. I draw SDT, check the top3 and scoop.

Game2:
I open with fetchland into plains as I am holding a basic forest. He drops vial. I play a Factory which gets Wasted. Another factory gets played and his EOT Fanatic comes in for 1. I drop the Forest. He attacks with Fanatic, which I block. Damage on stack, drop Warchief with Vial, cycle Gempalm. I Vindicate his Warchief. Another Warchief gets dropped followed by Wort. I am holding nothing but land + Tombstalker so I play him. Gets back Incinerator, plays Matron into Piledriver and attacks. I have to block Piledriver or I’ll go to 1. I draw land and lose the turn after.

I receive my Volcanic Island, satisfied with my 6th top8 with this deck out of 9 tournaments. 66% isn’t bad is it? Painters Servant wins against Goyf Sligh, Goblins trumps Eva Green and Fahad MUC gets beaten by It’s The Fear after a long match. We decide to go home after that match. Goblins did beat Painters Servant and ITF so it was an all Goblin final.

A lot of snow fell, the first of the year and very early. It took us three hours and a half to get home where it should’ve been 40 minutes. When we finally arrived at the Pizza Hut it was closed. We had to go to a nearby McDonalds instead.