PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Spellbomb Control

Cyrus
11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm going to attend a small pauper (commons-only) legacy tourney and then I had this idea: Trinket Mage + Spellbombs + new colored artifacts + Blink.
That's the list so far:

Spellbomb Control (60 cards):

Lands:

3 Island
5 Plains
4 Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Shimmering Grotto
1 Ancient Den
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Seat of the Synod

Creatures:

4 Sanctum Gargoyle
4 Tidehollow Strix
4 Leonin Squire
4 Trinket Mage

Others:

4 Last Gasp
1 Sunbeam Spellbomb
4 Executioner's Capsule
4 Momentary Blink
1 Viridian Longbow
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Aether Spellbomb

Sideboard:

3 Sunbeam Spellbomb
3 Faerie Macabre
3 Hindering Light
3 Prismatic Strands
3 Dispeller's Capsule

Any ideas to improve the list? Is Mulldrifter/Angelic Renewal useful? If yes, what to cut?

Aggro_zombies
11-29-2008, 03:09 AM
http://www.pdcmagic.com/

That site is very useful for Pauper-related Magic. There's even a deck like yours (http://www.pdcmagic.com/gatherling/deck.php?mode=view&id=6418). Note that it's built for the Classic format on MODO, to the card pool is smaller than true Legacy.

For your deck: Mulldrifter is one of the main, if not THE main, reasons to run Blink. It turns a 2/2 flying into a persistent card drawing engine, and for :3::w::u:, you can evoke the Mulldrifter and then Blink it in response to the trigger, netting 4 cards and an evasive 2/2 for the same converted mana cost as just playing it. Bonesplitter is also very good here, for obvious reasons.

I'd cut down on the number of Spellbombs, to one white one and one blue one. I'd also replace Last Gasp with Unmake, which is a lot better. Having both the Leonin and the Gargoyle is a bit too redundant, so I'd cut out some Leonin for some Ninja of the Deep Hours. I happen to be a fan of Silkbind Faerie, but there are arguably better choices in an aggro-control deck, including Aven Riftwatcher.

Good luck at the tournament.

Media314r8
11-29-2008, 04:30 AM
// Lands
4 [MR] Ancient Den
1 [LRW] Shimmering Grotto
1 [PT] Swamp (3)
1 [OV] Plains
1 [P3] Island (1)
3 [ALA] Esper Panorama
4 [MR] Vault of Whispers
4 [MR] Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
4 [FD] Trinket Mage
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Strix
4 [FD] Leonin Squire
4 [ALA] Sanctum Gargoyle
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter

// Spells
4 [TSP] Chromatic Star
1 [MR] AEther Spellbomb
4 [FD] Cranial Plating
1 [MR] Bonesplitter
3 [ALA] Executioner's Capsule
4 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
4 [TSP] Momentary Blink

might be more the direction you're heading, but the deck feels really aggro, with a lot of mid-late game CA. mulls and blink could probably be replaced by something like arcbound worker, 2x terrarion, and 2 more bonesplitters or spellbombs. Straight gas though, like a really cheap affinity deck with CA.

Cyrus
11-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Ah, I guess I'll just netdeck that MBC deck that wins a lot in the TPDC tourneys. Thanks for the link.