PDA

View Full Version : Cheap deck tourney

Mantis
11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
So me and some friends are organizing a 30 euro max tourney for the third time now. All the tourneys so far have been great.

The rules are this:
The deck can't be more than 30 euro on this site: www.nedermagic.nl
Your deck has to be Vintage legal.

This is my deck which can be found here http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=71815

1x Æther Spellbomb
2x Executioner’s Capsule
3x Pestermite
1x Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1x Trinket Mage
1x Dralnu, Lich Lord
1x Eyeblight’s Ending
1x Hideous Laughter
4x Miscalculation
3x Mystical Teachings
4x Opt
2x Prohibit
1x Repeal
4x Rewind
4x Think Twice
4x Agony Warp
2x Ponder

4x Dimir Aqueduct
12x Island
5x Swamp

And another one of my spin offs: http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=72788 (think this deck is weaker though).
The results of the past two tournaments can be found here:www.30euro.tk and just click on part I or part II. My name is Guus de Waard.

So now for my problem:
First tournament I brought an untested deck it was crap and performed crap I just built it the day before the tournament so the results were poor.
Second tourney, I built the most awesome deck ever but it was way too fragile. I really liked my deck but it just didn't perform as I had hoped.

This time I want to win. My deck is pretty strong with plenty of cool interactions and it can take good control of the game but it has difficulty with massive amounts of resolved permanents as in creatures. I actually need Damnation, but too bad that card alone almost exceeds our 30 euro limit, so I need a cheap replacement. Does anyone know a cheap mass removal spell that is preferbably instant?

Any other tips are appreciated as well. If you have a whole different deck idea please share that as well as I haven't settled on if I wanted to play this or not.

Thanks on forehand!

Cyrus
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Crypt Rats.

troopatroop
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
The problem is, that website is overpriced.

Playset of Dark Ritual : 4 Euro
Playset of Brainstorm : 5 Euro
Playset of Nimble Mongoose: 9 Euro
Playset of Lightning Bolt : 11 Euro

I would like to build something good, but when staples are all overpriced, and you're putting us on a 30 euro limit on that website, it gets frustrating quickly. If you would give us a dollar value, and let us use magic traders as a reference, it would be alot easier.

Your deck is 32 Euros too btw.

Alpha-Gen
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
First of all, excuse my bad english.

I would give this list a try:

4 Nekrataal 4€
4 Chilling Appartion 2€
4 Counterspell 5€
4 Probe 1€
4 Bane of the living 5€
4 Wydwen the Biting Gale 3€
4 Spite//Malice 1€
4 Opt 2€
4 Recoil 3€
4 Salt Marsh 4€
12 Island
8 Swamp

I hope the lands don´t count to the total value.:rolleyes:

Best wishes

Apex
12-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Make Elves! with Skullclamp and I think it would be really competitive and cheap. The core of your deck are all commons and uncommons, but you just need 4x Skullclamp (Vintage legal you say), which are like 3 each on that website (so overpriced).

frogboy
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
The en-kor combo pieces are cheap. Beyond that, I'd just fuck people up with elves.

Jonika
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Just build ravagerless affinity. ALl the core cards are pretty cheap. It would prob roll over most people

Pulp_Fiction
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Just build dirt cheap burn, something like:

4x Shock
4x Lava Spike
4x Flame Rift
4x Flamebreak
4x Rift Bolt
4x Magma Jet
2x Shard Volley
4x Fireblast
4x Incenerate
4x Char (or some other 3 casting burn spell that does 2 or more)
2x Sulfuric Vortex
20 Mountain

This would be very effective. Playing black with lots of cards that kill non-black creatures would probably be a mistake. Make sure to play Anarchy in the SB though.

Wobbles The Goose
12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Zirconia Valley:

4 Ramosian Sargent 2
4 Ramosian Lieutenant 1
1 Amarou Scout .25
4 Nomad En-kor 2
4 Whipchorder 3
4 Outrider en-kor 2
2 Task Force .50
2 Daru Spiritualist .50
4 Condemn 4
2 Temporal Isolation .5
2 Faith's Fetters 1
2 Gilded Light .50
2 Animal Boneyard 1
2 Mistvail Plains .50
21 Plains 5.25

SB

2 Gilded Light .50
2 Karma 1
4 Rune of Protection: Black 1
2 Rule of Law 1.5
2 Daru Spirtualist .50
3 Dust to Dust 1.5

30€. With Condemn being the most expensive card in the deck at 1€ a piece, which you mostly use on your own task force anyway. Nice format

I can't believe more people don't try and make room for a sideboard. Sideboards are just ridiculously broken technology.

Also, Duncan Keijzer's decks are absolutely inspired. Both the solidarity build and the monoblack control build look great. Withering Wisps rocks my world. It's ridiculously broken for .25 cents. I'd definitely try to build a deck able to beat those two.

I would like to build something good, but when staples are all overpriced, and you're putting us on a 30 euro limit on that website, it gets frustrating quickly. If you would give us a dollar value, and let us use magic traders as a reference, it would be alot easier.

We do these things, not because they're easy, but because they're hard.

Just build dirt cheap burn
That deck clocks in 60 euros. The good burn spells all are priced high.

GenioDeArena
12-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Hello there, in the format discussion forum there is this thread about affordable decks to get started in Legacy, I think It might help

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9729

Enjoy

Mantis
12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
We use the T1 banned and restricted rules so I figured I might as well just build a deck around Tinker to get Triskelavus and maybe Mishra's Helix or something with Drift of Phantasm and Perplex to get the Tinker. That should pretty much tear the format apart I guess, thanks for all the suggestions though!

Although I am going to try your list Wobbles, that looks good, thanks!

BTW, the deck posted was 32 euros, but the Rewinds are 1.00 instead of 1.50 if you take them from a different set so I should adjust that.

Mantis
12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
So the tourney is friday, my list is finally finished:
http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=71815

// Lands
4 [7E] Swamp (3)
10 [10E] Island (3)
4 [RAV] Dimir Aqueduct
1 [MR] Vault of Whispers
2 [MR] Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
1 [FD] Trinket Mage
2 [TSP] Triskelavus
1 [RAV] Drift of Phantasms
1 [LRW] Pestermite

// Spells
4 [ARE] Rewind
4 [IN] Opt
3 [ALA] Agony Warp
4 [TSP] Think Twice
1 [MR] AEther Spellbomb
2 [IN] Prohibit
2 [TSP] Mystical Teachings
4 [UL] Miscalculation
1 [LRW] Eyeblight's Ending
2 [ALA] Executioner's Capsule
1 [UL] Tinker
3 [RAV] Perplex
1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
1 [ALA] Infest
1 [PS] Rushing River

I ordered the cards and I think I have a pretty good chance at winning the thing with this list.
Thanks again for all suggestions I will let you know how it went.