PDA

View Full Version : Shared Fate

Weekend Daddy
12-03-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm THINKING of playing Magic again. Not exactly wanting to go towards a competitive route, as I've figured out that is why I keep quitting these games in the first place. I'm just wanting to screw with every other competitive player by using an annoying deck that can run with it's Tier 1 brethren.

I've acquired a serious craving for decks in all games that create annoying situations. Yugioh has Self-Destruct Button. this game has Shahrazad, Lich's Mirror, and Shared Fate.

Let's tinker with Shared Fate. What better way to get a win condition than splitting the current game apart with a card that lets you acquire the opponents deck.

SPELLS: 39
4 Daze
4 Disrupt
4 Force Of Will
4 Lotus Petal
4 Mana Leak
4 Shared Fate
4 Standstill
4 Orims Chant
4 Brainstorm
2 Chrome Mox
1 Lich's Mirror

LAND: 21
5 Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Flooded Strand
4 City Of Traitors
3 Gemstone Caverns
1 Plains

SIDEBOARD:
N/A

The object here is to get Shared Fate as quickly as possible with no interference (VIA Force Of Will and 'lite' counters). Once that happens, you acquire the opponents deck, start building up your pile and let loose with whatever their deck wields!

Here's the thing, I'm not up to par with cards from the new set and with my current circumstance, I'm not able to dedicate a lot of time to do hard research for the deck.
Basically, I'm looking to make the deck as efficient as possible. I don't have the cards yet or have reasonable means to playtest.
Is there anything I'm not seeing yet? Anything I'm able to add. What have the newer sets beyond the Time Spiral Block provided that could help out?

Carabas
12-03-2008, 07:38 AM
I think there's a problem, and it's this: You're giving your opponent a bunch of counterspells, a possible lich's mirror, and possible krosan grip/whatever in their hand. I would go with a whiter shell, with enlightened tutor, orim's chant, abeyance, and greater auramancy.

Peter_Rotten
12-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Research some of the interactions of cards like Brainstorm, Lim'Dul's Vault, Imuple, etc. with Share Fate. I don't remember how they work, but I remember things get funky.

rufus
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6186&highlight=Sylar.dec

I posted a bunch of ideas to that thread, but I'll put them here again:

Discard-based disruption, which has seen some improvement since that thread was posted, is probably a good fit since you're trying to stall in the early turns, and it won't work well for your opponent when Shared Fate is on the table.

There are a number of critters that either pop back into the owner's hand involuntarily, or are basically graveyard effects which can be a good fit (Hakkon, Phantom Whelp, Timid Drake and the Viashinos). Since we're playing with a 'special' deck, there's also the Bronze Bombshell.

Be wary of flashback, and especially dredge, since they circumvent the Shared Fate lock.

Diminishing Return and Underworld Dreams also have potential. Possibly even Forced Fruition.

Wobbles The Goose
12-03-2008, 11:39 AM
The problem is this build has no way to deal with a creature. A turn two tarmogoyf resolving just means game over, not to even discuss a goblin lackey on turn 1 or a mishra's factory.

Also, Lich's Mirror in your deck is a nonbo. If you give a Lich's Mirror to your opponent they can never lose the game (because the Lich's Mirror never removes itself with it's ability), so if they draw it from your deck you are just totally hosed.

Joe_C
12-03-2008, 12:31 PM
shared fate + leveller = victory

ThatGuyThere
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I played this casually for a while. Made sure I didn't run any enchantment removal, for one thing.

And then a slew of mana-accelerators (in a wide variety of colours), to get the Shared Fate down ASAP.

Once Shared Fate is in play, things get Weird enough to make it awesome fun in no time. Leveller isn't bad... ...unless the other guy draws it. I ended up avoiding artifacts, because I found they were unfortuately effective when the enemy drew them.

Strangely, you're actually *trying* to make the best short-game-stall, worst long-game deck possible.

It's tons of fun.

RoddyVR
12-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Are you sure its possible to lose to decking with a shared fate in play? Isnt the draw replaced, and so neither player is actualy drawing cards, so neither can satisfy the "cant draw a card" condition.

If i was gonna build a Shared Fate deck, i would basicaly go all out with it. Have a deck full of fast mana, cantrips, tutors and shared fates, and thats it.
Make it so your opponent has litteraly nothing to do once you have Fate down.
Only other thing i would consider is discard. It is useless after Fate is in play (you have no real hand, so opponent cant make you discard. But it would be good to play after you play Fate, to get rid of your opponents hand that he still has from his own deck... just to make sure there's no surprises.

Brainstorm becomes prety much an ancestral recall cause you shouldnt have cards in your hand prety soon after playing Fate.
So does Cephalid Coloseum.
Careful Study is prety good too.
if you have red (if enough of the fast mana is anycolor) then Goblin Lore can work prety well.
Frantic Search is a free +1 card.

Wistfull Thinking is in color Discard for after Fate (make opponent discard 4 of his old cards, while only giving him cards from your deck). Compusive research fits here too, but its a bit less efficient.
If going Ub then Consult the Necrosages seems plausible.

Saphire charm isnt bad either before or after Fate. Opponent can use it well if he got a creature down against you (to remove a blocker for a turn, or give his flying), but you can use it same way before fate, so its prety fair.

I think Fetchlands are a bad idea. You do NOT want your oponent to be able to deny you a color in their deck, by fetching a couple of duals (after they've already taken some of the land before Fate hit)

Joe_C
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Are you sure its possible to lose to decking with a shared fate in play? Isnt the draw replaced, and so neither player is actualy drawing cards, so neither can satisfy the "cant draw a card" condition.

Where leveler is concerned, you have a 10/10, and they never draw another card that game, sounds anvatageous to me, its not an instant win but its a win. What about making this a form of chalice aggro? Even running weird creatures like ophidian to cast early and help you draw into the leveler/shared fate combo. Chalice would make STP uncastable and this deck could easily run brainstorm as its only 1cc spell. Or elaborate on the u/w control shell and go for the shared fate/leveler win only.

4 fow
4 orims chant
4 enlightened tutor
4 isochron scepter
4 brainstorm
4 counterspell
4 swords to plowhares
4 shared fate
4 leveler
3 fact or fiction
as a basis... chant lock is solid, plus e.tutor on a stick is just insane here

Dark_Shakuras
12-05-2008, 01:13 PM
CB and Sensies top are amazing. Top lets you rig what your opponit is going to draw, making sure you 1) know what they have and 2) if you want to play something, you don't give them counters.

My deck ran nothing but Kill spells (Terror, Ghastly Demise) and counterspells (daze, force, force spike)

Weekend Daddy
12-13-2008, 01:03 AM
got a new version:

CREATURES: 16
4 Elvish Spirit Guise
4 Simian Spirit Guise
4 Street Wraith
4 Tinder Wall

SPELLS: 32
4 Shared Fate
4 Chrome Mox
4 Rite Of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Manamorphose
4 Lotus Petal
4 Serum Powder

LANDS: 12
4 City Of Brass
4 Tarnished Citadel
4 Forsaken City

Works a lot more smoothly....well, it can go turn 1/2 frequently. But it works similarly to Belcher (all eggs in one basket).

kicks_422
12-13-2008, 01:44 AM
If that's the case, why not play Belcher instead?

I have a casual build of Shared Fate as well. Very low budget and very fun to play.

20 Island
4 Mirrodin's Core
4 Shared Fate
4 Counterspell
4 Condescend
4 Mana Leak
4 Mystic Restraints
4 Fog Bank
4 Serum Visions
4 Trade Secrets
4 Long-Term Plans

Love the synergy between a resolved Shared Fate and the rest of the deck. It loses to any deck with even a tiny hint of competitiveness, but so what? It's still really fun to play.

Weekend Daddy
12-20-2008, 06:43 PM
If that's the case, why not play Belcher instead?

I have a casual build of Shared Fate as well. Very low budget and very fun to play.

20 Island
4 Mirrodin's Core
4 Shared Fate
4 Counterspell
4 Condescend
4 Mana Leak
4 Mystic Restraints
4 Fog Bank
4 Serum Visions
4 Trade Secrets
4 Long-Term Plans

Love the synergy between a resolved Shared Fate and the rest of the deck. It loses to any deck with even a tiny hint of competitiveness, but so what? It's still really fun to play.

I've thought it over, and while the turn 1/2 shared fate is nice. Force of will stops it cold. And that's really something that shouldn't be ignored in order to stay alive in the format.
I've been tinkering around with ideas to make a more tmpo-control based deck, and it's a bit similar to what I was originally thinking of:
SPELLS 41
4 Shared Fate (quasi-win condition)
4 Force Of Will (manaless counterspell)
4 Disrupt (turn 1 counter + cantrip)
4 Brainstorm (draw power)
4 Ponder (draw power)
4 Standstill (soft lock with cantrip bonus)
4 Lotus Petal (ramps your clock by 1)
4 Mana Leak (another turn 2 counter if you are going first and ahead on tempo)
4 Daze (manaless option to save a cast Shared Fate)
3 Spell Snare (Turn 2 opener if going second without Gemstone Caverns)
2 Force Spike (same as Disrupt without the cantrip)

LANDS: 19
9 Island
4 Gemstone Caverns (strictly for tempo purposes. Losing the dice roll and opening with this ensures that you will gain the upperhand on tempo)
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand (I know it's bad ju-ju to have fetchlands in a Shared Fate build, but I think the benefits outweigh the consequences)

kicks_422
12-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, that doesn't look casual anymore, but whatever.

The deck needs creature control. If even just one creature gets through your countermagic, you will be hardpressed to find and cast that Shared Fate, and then dig into their deck for an answer. Standstill also looks bad in a deck which has no way of capitalizing on it.

Weekend Daddy
05-11-2009, 02:08 AM
I am curious if I should take on a more near-mono-black approach with discard and creature kill. The disadvantage would be little access to a draw engine.

Carabas
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Grim Reminder, anyone?
They can play it on you once, if they draw it, but it goes to your grave, so you can recur it.