PDA

View Full Version : Peasant decK!!!

Jonika
12-07-2008, 12:48 AM
My friends and i have decided to hold a 8 person peasant format event with legacy legal cards. I decided i would like to bring an affinity deck as the core cards are, thankfully, mostly commons

Land:
4x Seat
4x Vault
4x Furnace
4x Darksteel Citadel
1x Tree of tales
1x Ancient den

Creatures
4x Frogmite
4x DotV
4x Myr Enforcer
4x thopter
4x Somber hoverguard
4x Arcbound Worker
2x Atog

Other spells
4x Springleaf Drum
2x Aether Vial
4x Thoughtcast
4x Cranial Plating
2x Shrapnel Blast

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stategy of this deck is pretty simple. Go for fast beatdown. Draw is with Thoughtcast, skull clamp. Mana accel provided by aether vial and springleaf drum.

I still need quite a big of help on this as i don't feel it is optimized so further suggsetions would be spectactular.

I also want to know if A peasant tourney came up in my area, if this would be a competive deck.

herbig
12-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Play the indestructible land over the white one, just because. Also, you only have 3 uncommons, unless Atog counts.

Fling is pretty worthless with only 1 atog. the best you can do with it is fling enforcer, and I'd rather just have lightning bolt in that case.

Jonika
12-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Wow i am way too tired right now... i forgot to include the most broken equipment.... ever... I see your point about fling too. I think im going to take out atog and just go for beatdown and not combo kill.

4eak
12-07-2008, 02:10 AM
-What are the exact rules for your pauper format?
-How many uncommons can you play?
-Skullclamp (unfortunately) is not Legacy legal.

I'm going to assume 6 uncommons for your decklist. When you tell me exactly how many, then I'll adjust it.

Lands: 18
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Great Furnace
4 Darksteel Citadel
2 Tree of Tales

Creatures: 26
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Frogmite
4 Ornithopter
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Tidehollow Strix (or Somber, but I think Strix is a better choice)
2 Atog

Spells: 14
4 Thoughtcast
4 Cranial Plating
2 Aether Vial
4 Springleaf Drum
2 Shrapnel Blast (could easily become Atog)

It would be hard to beat that list.

peace,
4eak

Jonika
12-07-2008, 10:45 AM
*facepalm*
Ok skullclamp is out.
I like most of your suggestions 4eak but i'd rather have a 3/2 for :u: that a 2/1 for UB. But, if you want to give some reasons/examples for it that would be great. I can use 5 uncommons in my format. Atog is actually a common in antiquities.

4eak
12-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I like most of your suggestions 4eak but i'd rather have a 3/2 for U that a 2/1 for UB. But, if you want to give some reasons/examples for it that would be great.

Deathtouch is excellent. It isn't much harder to cast either. The deck is slower because it lacks Ravager and MoE, and having Deathtouch might be the edge you need.

can use 5 uncommons in my format. Atog is actually a common in antiquities.

If you can play Atog as a common, then the deck should be built around it.

Lands: 19
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Great Furnace
3 Darksteel Citadel
4 Shimmering Grotto

Creatures: 24
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Frogmite
4 Ornithopter
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Atog

Spells: 17
4 Thoughtcast
4 Cranial Plating
4 Springleaf Drum
2 Aether Vial
3 Shrapnel Blast

This has very smooth mana, and Atog/Shrapnel will serve as your aggressive pieces.

This is balls to the wall, but that is Affinity. Slow roll with Atog a bit if you are concerned about overextending into control cards. He is an excellent bluff as well.

peace,
4eak

Curby
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Fling is pretty worthless with only 1 atog. the best you can do with it is fling enforcer, and I'd rather just have lightning bolt in that case.

Uh, Plating?

Anyway, the pauper (all commons) Affinity thread might be informative: http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9320

I think I'd run this now:

// Lands (18)
4 [MR] Great Furnace
4 [MR] Seat of the Synod
2 [LRW] Shimmering Grotto
4 [DS] Darksteel Citadel
4 [MR] Vault of Whispers

// Creatures (27)
4 [AQ] Ornithopter
4 [MR] Myr Enforcer
4 [MR] Disciple of the Vault
4 [MR] Frogmite
3 [AQ] Atog
4 [DS] Arcbound Worker
4 Tidehollow Strix

// Cards and Mana (8)
4 [LRW] Springleaf Drum
4 [MR] Thoughtcast

// Finishers (7)
3 [SH] Fling
4 [FD] Cranial Plating

I'm really interested in Aphotic Wisps because it can get Atog through for the kill, or simply cantrip against black decks until it gets sided out. I need more testing before I can see if it's actually necessary though. We already have Fling+Atog, Fling+Plating, and Atog+Disciples for powerful minicombos that don't depend on attacking.