PDA

View Full Version : 100 Card Deck

Damnosus
12-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Ok, so some friends of mine, reminiscing about the old days when games of magic were simply creature hump fests, and building an army of critters for an alpha strike was more important than winning, have decided to make their own format so as to sort of recreate the old days. I can't really comment on their rules, but I do want to play. Basically it is 100 card minimum of anything really, but you can only have 1 rare.

I will be porting over my pauper deck which is basically W/G armadillo cloak into this format. My questions to you good folks are as follows:

What is the proper number of land for a 100 card deck? I have never played with so many cards, so I am not totally sure what is a good number.

What rare should I use for my single rare card? I don't want it to be too broken, or for that matter, too lame. Therefore I have ruled out Wrath of God (works against me, plus it doesn't promote what my friends want), Armageddon (land D is kinda lame in casual), Balance (I just don't think it would really work with what I am doing), and Test of Endurance (I have a lot of lifegain-I think I would get killed if I won with this). So what card do you think I should use?

I haven't got a decklist together just yet, but I will try and post it when I figure it out.

Thanks for any and all help!

Omega
12-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Some zoo deck run a configuration of 20/20/20. So lets say your mana curve is low (2-3 CC), you would need at least 33 lands (1/3 deck).
so 33-40 would be my guess.

If you run alot of mana accel like birds, llanowar elfes and stuff, you can lower the count. If you only run big fat costy creatures, i suggest more lands (around 40)

Use equipment. They are fun. Umezawa's jitte or Loxodon warhammer to make all your beasts... beasts!

Robert

Gibbie_X
12-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I thought about some decks like that. Highlander decks are fun, but restrict it to Type 1, a minimum of 10 cards per color, only one creature type and grant them a total of five shapeshifters. I'm going to make a Zombie version, I'll post at some time. But the possibilities are there:
Goblins, Merfolk, Elves, Human, Cleric, Sliver, Dwarf, Fairies, Treefolk, Minotaur.

Damnosus
12-08-2008, 11:46 PM
I thought about some decks like that. Highlander decks are fun, but restrict it to Type 1, a minimum of 10 cards per color, only one creature type and grant them a total of five shapeshifters. I'm going to make a Zombie version, I'll post at some time. But the possibilities are there:
Goblins, Merfolk, Elves, Human, Cleric, Sliver, Dwarf, Fairies, Treefolk, Minotaur.

Yea I tried suggesting different formats to them, but this is the one they wanted. Ah well.

@Omega: Thanks for the land count, I think I will try 37 or so with a bunch of weird lands just for kicks. As for Jitte-awsome card, but kinda mean in this format (especially cause I am one of the few with anything powerful), so I don't think I will use that. Loxodon is definitely going in there though :laugh: .