PDA

View Full Version : [Tournament] Feb. 21st 2009 Legacy DUAL FOR DUALS!!!

T-ORGANIZER
12-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Time : Saturday, February 21st, 2009
Doors open at 9am
Registration starts at 10am
Tournament starts at 11am

Where : Jupiter Games
3701 Vestal Parkway East
Vestal, NY 13850
In the Campus Plaza

-1 Hour south of Syracuse, 2.5 Hours from Rochester, 4.5 Hours from North Va., and 2.5 Hours from Ct.

Format : Legacy – Sanctioned
Cost : $25
Judges : Head – Eli Kassis Floor – Carl Winter & Ryan Green

Prizes : 1st place – 1st and 9th round picks from prize pool!!!
2nd place - 2nd and 10th round picks from prize pool!
3rd-4th place - 3rd or 4th round picks from prize pool!
5th-8th place - 5th - 8th respective round picks from prize pool!
9th-16th place – Entrance into a free single elimination 8-man booster draft for a Mana Drain!!

-Prize Pool = All 40 DUALS!!! Picks will be chosen by playsets.
-All Prizes Are Guaranteed Regardless Of Attendance.
-40+people = extra duals for the top 8!

Random Bonuses :
There’s a Chinese buffet, Wendy’s, and an Apple Bee’s in the same plaza within walking distance. The store is directly across the street from Binghamton University. We have practically every card in stock with better prices than any other dealer! We are always buying (including our own prize support)! We are willing to run any side event anyone can think of, even poker tournaments. We are making arrangements to arrange for more seating for future events so there won't be a crowding issue.

Door Prizes :
As of yet, to be determined. This is for your benefit as there is no telling what will be popular this soon, but I can guarantee you that whatever is popular will be in the door prize and that door prizes value will exceed the value of 2nd place and depending on attendance maybe even 1st place. In this past this has included; Portal 3 Kingdoms product, Vault of the Dragons Promo Box, fetch lands, force's, resets, mana crypts, duals, and much much more!

T-ORGANIZER
12-12-2008, 08:44 PM
If there's is a big tournament on this date like a PTQ or prerelease can someone let me know soon so I can change the date. If not the date will remain pretty ironclad.

That kid you all hate
12-13-2008, 02:10 AM
I'll probably show. Shouldn't it be duel for duals though, not dual for duals?

Bryant Cook
12-13-2008, 03:22 AM

Star City Games bullshit.

T-ORGANIZER
12-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Star City Games b.s..

Does that mean there is a star city games tournament the same day? If so, do you know where it is at?

Bryant Cook
12-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Does that mean there is a star city games tournament the same day? If so, do you know where it is at?

There was a conflict with using that name for another event. Duel for Duals was trademarked or something, Star City Games was against the event and the coordinator for using it.

Zach Tartell
12-13-2008, 02:31 PM

No. Or, at least, there isn't a Star City event that day.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-13-2008, 02:45 PM
There was a conflict with using that name for another event. Duel for Duals was trademarked or something, Star City Games was against the event and the coordinator for using it.

Has anyone challenged this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_distinctiveness#Descriptive_marks

I'm pretty sure that "Duel for Duals" is so intuitive as to be well outside SCG's ability to trademark, much less on something derivative like a Magic tournament.

Bryant Cook
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I guess I was wrong about the trademark part?

Pinder
12-13-2008, 03:01 PM
And really, isn't this a Dual Land Draft anyway?

Also, I (of course) can't make it, but I wanted to stop in and say that a free 8-man draft is one of the coolest ideas I've seen for lower table prizes in a long time. Kudos for that.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I guess I was wrong about the trademark part?

It depends on whether they actually went to court, or their lawyers (or them) just sent a letter claiming infringement.

Because if it was the second one, that's like, just your opinion, man.

That kid you all hate
12-14-2008, 10:29 AM
I can't wait for this. I plan to shoot for 11th place again.:tongue:

T-ORGANIZER
12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
And really, isn't this a Dual Land Draft anyway?

Also, I (of course) can't make it, but I wanted to stop in and say that a free 8-man draft is one of the coolest ideas I've seen for lower table prizes in a long time. Kudos for that.

Thank you, it was my idea! :cool:

revenge_inc
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
If there's is a big tournament on this date like a PTQ or prerelease can someone let me know soon so I can change the date. If not the date will remain pretty ironclad.

They haven't posted the PTQ schedule for Honolulu yet so it's hard to tell but according to http://www.spellkeeper.com there is a PTQ in Montreal on that day(Feb 21st) and a PTQ in Toronto on Feb 14th according to skyfoxgames.com.

Blackened
12-14-2008, 08:38 PM
I plan on attending this.

That kid you all hate
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you, it was my idea! :cool:

Thanks for coming up with it!

Di
12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I can't wait for this. I plan to shoot for 11th place again.:tongue:

I'm proud you set your sights so high. Go get em!

T-ORGANIZER
12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
They haven't posted the PTQ schedule for Honolulu yet so it's hard to tell but according to http://www.spellkeeper.com there is a PTQ in Montreal on that day(Feb 21st) and a PTQ in Toronto on Feb 14th according to skyfoxgames.com.

5 hour drive is to far away to schedule around, I really only try to take into account tournaments that are within a 3 hour drive radius.

rsaunder
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Good. I'll start building Island.dec so I don't lose to the same friggin card three tournaments in a row.

That kid you all hate
12-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Good. I'll start building Island.dec so I don't lose to the same friggin card three tournaments in a row.

I am calling your bluff. I will catch you with nonbasics, and I will wreck you with magus again.

T-ORGANIZER
12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
If this tournament actually gets 75 players or more I will double the top 8 prize structure.

bigbear102
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
The whole "duel for duals" thing arose when Dave Amrod called an event that right after SCG had their big 40 duals to first and gave out 100 duals thing. Pete Hoefling posted in the thread saying that Dave's tournament should be renamed due to confusing the two, and then myself and I believe Herbig and 2 or 3 other people made fun of Pete for about a week. It was pretty dumb. No actual legal stuff though, so te name is fine.

T-ORGANIZER
12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
The whole "duel for duals" thing arose when Dave Amrod called an event that right after SCG had their big 40 duals to first and gave out 100 duals thing. Pete Hoefling posted in the thread saying that Dave's tournament should be renamed due to confusing the two, and then myself and I believe Herbig and 2 or 3 other people made fun of Pete for about a week. It was pretty dumb. No actual legal stuff though, so te name is fine.

I'm not to worried about it, not many magic shops affiliate with lawyers anyway and I don't they would get more from a victory than they would be paying in legal fee's.

T-ORGANIZER
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Starting with the completion of this tournament I will be endeavoring to hold a tournament of at least this size in structure and hopefully attendance once every month as per the request of many individuals. I will keep the format Legacy as that seems to be the most popular. I will try to vary up the prizes from duals to credit to power and back again depending on what seems to work the best.

T-ORGANIZER
01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
If anyone is interested in joining our email list of upcoming events and promotions pm me with your email address and i'll add it to our list.

Nemcon
01-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Hmm, I'll go, but my car is probably not going to be in service for then. If I figure a way to get there from Rochester, I'll be there.

Irish_Mafia
01-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I plan on attending this with about 3-4 or more.

T-ORGANIZER
01-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I plan on attending this with about 3-4 or more.

Super Sweet, car loads always boost attendance lol.

RogueMTG
01-20-2009, 12:28 AM
If this tournament actually gets 75 players or more I will double the top 8 prize structure.

That would be crazy cool. o_o.

I should be able to get home from school for this. :cool:

beastman
01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm down to drive/go if anybody from NOVA or if Ditizio or Jimmy P. will be going to split gas costs.

rsaunder
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
yep, I'm coming to this. I have my car and it's not a bad drive from Geneseo. Lemme know if anyone wants to carpool.

T-ORGANIZER
01-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I hope people are still psyched for this!

Irish_Mafia
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I hope people are still psyched for this!

I am !

RogueMTG
01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I am !

ansset
01-30-2009, 03:43 PM
If anyone's going from anywhere in NYC or anywhere train-accessible from NYC, I'd be more than happy to chip in for transit costs.

T-ORGANIZER
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Just want to remind everyone Conflux is Legal for this event..

T-ORGANIZER
02-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Next Saturday the 14th of Feb. we are going to run a free legacy tournament at 2pm with prizes based on attendance. This will be a good opportunity to prepare for the bigger event the following Saturday and give people the opportunity to trade with each other to finish off their decks.

Raider Bob
02-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Im going to try and make it out there it depends on the wifes mood in letting me go. 8(

Jander78
02-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Accepting applications for passengers......send PM's.

T-ORGANIZER
02-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm expecting about 20 local players for the free legacy today, I'll try and update with the winning decklists tonight. This tournament is a proxy 20 cards tournament so the decks will be as close to how people want them as possible.

Sage
02-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Were the results ever posted for the 2/14 - 20 proxy practice tournament?

T-ORGANIZER
02-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Sorry we ended up having a smaller turnout than expected. However the top 2 decks were Merfolk and Dredge. Pretty standard lists for the top 2. There was a faerie's deck, elf survival, legacy rock, stifle naught, and a version of team america were the decks worth noting.

T-ORGANIZER
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. If anyone has any questions, needs directions, or gets lost. The store's phone # is (607)729-5910. I'm expecting a good turnout, right around 50 people I would say. Our FNM is standard tonight at 5:30pm if anyone was thinking of coming down the day before.

Zach Tartell
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I just want everyone to know that I plan on winning this for one reason. Not because I'm better than you (pyshaw), nor even the fact that I'm one of G-d's Chosen people - I have caffiene charged beef jerky.

Look out, bitches.

Brushwagg
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Lack of info being posted FTL.

Whit3 Ghost
02-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Agreed.

Updates would be appreciated.

Deep6er
02-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Top 8 (as far as I know) is:

Alix with Progenitus Thresh
Damon with Ichorid
? with Merfolk
Raider Bob with Landstill
Smelski with Landstill
Elrod with Breakfast
? with Pox
? with Ichorid

Alix split finals with Merfolk and Damon got third.

freakish777
02-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Top 8 (as far as I know) is:

Alix with Progenitus Thresh
Damon with Ichorid
? with Merfolk
Raider Bob with Landstill
Smelski with Landstill
Elrod with Breakfast
? with Pox
? with Ichorid

Alix split finals with Merfolk and Damon got third.

42ish players.

T8:

Breakfast vs. NOThresh, NOThresh wins.
Landstill vs. Landstill, Landstill wins (Bob).
Ichorid (Damon) vs. Pox, Ichorid wins.
Ichorid vs. Merfolk, Merfolk wins.

T4:

NOThresh vs. Ichorid, NOThresh wins.
Merfolk vs. Landstill, Merfolk wins.

T2 split.

I didn't recognize the other 3 T8 players, seems like they were locals (ie, Eli's growing his meta nicely), I wouldn't know if they were regged or not.

juventus
02-21-2009, 11:56 PM
fuckin vaginas didn't want to draft for mana drain, so 9th through 16th just got 20 dollars store credit...

true story
02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I really love it when more than half the people at an event are playing either dreadnaught stifle or some kind thresh. Tarmogoyf is retarded (in a good way) so is Nimble Mongoose. I just wish I didn't waste 25$ to play the same sh*t over and over. My thanks go out to all the unoriginal people who play thresh every tournament. Magic is gay. I don't know why I even bother anymore...

DireLemming
02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I really love it when more than half the people at an event are playing either dreadnaught stifle or some kind thresh. Tarmogoyf is retarded (in a good way) so is Nimble Mongoose. I just wish I didn't waste 25$ to play the same sh*t over and over. My thanks go out to all the unoriginal people who play thresh every tournament. Magic is gay. I don't know why I even bother anymore...
I take it you didn't do too well then?

Jander78
02-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Weird statement since only 1 (maybe 2) of the top 8 decks had Tarmogoyf in them and none of them had Dreadnought......

freakish777
02-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Wait what?

Here's the decks I saw people playing or heard were present (it's about half of the decks since there was 42 players or so):

4 Threshold (one Natural Order Threshold, 1 Canadian Threshold, 1 UGBR Threshold with Volcanic Fallout, one with SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!)
3 Ichorid
3 Merfolk
3 Landstill
2 Elves
1 Cephalid Breakfast
1 High Tide - Reset
1 Fetchland Tendrils
1 Vial Slivers
1 Aggro Loam
1 Pox
1 White Weenie
1 GoyfSligh
1 Goblins
1 Mono White Control (The deck that Jack Elgin built)

I'm sure Parcher can fill in a large number of other decks since he was constantly scouting (or Eli since he has all the deck lists). I didn't see Stifle Dreadnought at all, so unless the other 20 players who I didn't see what they were playing were all playing StifleNought and Thresh, please don't troll. That field was extremely diverse.

RogueMTG
02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
fuckin vaginas didn't want to draft for mana drain, so 9th through 16th just got 20 dollars store credit...

This was my bad. xD.

Also my bad. <3 Threshold.

The guy's name playing Merfolk in the top 8 was Anthony I believe, friend of a friend. We had it out in the last round of swiss and he managed to beat me in 3 and get in there. (poo.)

Was sweet to see some locals put up a decent showing this time.

There were at least two Dreadstill decks (if not more), I tied against Ryan playing a Uw version and my friend Dan playing Death & Taxes beat another (I think Ur or Ugr).

Pretty sure the event had 43 players.

clavio
02-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Agreed. I only faced one tarmogoyf all day and no dreadnoughts. However, I did manage to face all 3 Ichorid players.

T-ORGANIZER
02-22-2009, 11:17 AM
42ish players.

I didn't recognize the other 3 T8 players, seems like they were locals (ie, Eli's growing his meta nicely), I wouldn't know if they were regged or not.

I appreciate the faith. I am advising a lot of locals on how to improve on legacy and I definitely saw some improvement yesterday. Sorry about lack of updates from me as I worked 18 1/2 hours yesterday and wasn't really in my right mind. The event had 44 Players thanks to some late entrances and I will post the top 8 decklists today. Thank you everyone that came and hopefully we'll see you next month for our March 21st tournament.

juventus
02-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Magic is a competitive game and threshold is a competitive deck so why wouldn't you expect many people to play threshold? There's really no reason to ever complain about something like this.

T-ORGANIZER
02-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I am going to change the 9th through 16th place prize for the next few subsequent tournies from Draft to Legacy, but I will allow people to use different decks for these. As a result I can still do the English Drain for first and I can make a killer second place prize tbd and even a 3rd and 4th place prize for the 9th-16th place finishers. I'm told I should schedule a tourney in April, all in favor give me a yay with their favorite date of choice.

1st/2nd place - Alix Hatfield

4 brainstorm
4 ponder
4 sensei top
4 force of will
4 daze
4 counterbalance
4 swords to plowshares
4 tarmogoyf
3 werebear
3 nimble mongoose
3 natural order
1 progenitus
4 flooded strand
4 wooded foothills
2 city of brass
2 tropical island
2 tundra
2 volcanic island
1 plateau
1 dryad arbor

sb
4 krosan grip
4 pyroclasm
4 red elemental blast
2 submerge
1 empyrial archangel

2nd/1st place - Anthony Corta

4 aether vial
3 daze
4 force of will
4 standstill
3 stifle
2 echoing truth
4 cursecatcher
4 silvergail adept
4 merror reejery
4 lord of atlantis
2 wake thrasher
2 cold-eye selkie
12 island
4 wasteland
4 mutavault

sb
1 echo truth
2 back to basics
4 relic of progenitus
2 pithing needle
3 umezawa's jitte
2 blue elemental blast
1 hydroblast

3rd/4th place - Bob Kochi's

3 mishra's factory
3 wasteland
3 polluted delta
3 flooded strand
4 tundra
1 underground sea
1 scrubland
1 swamp
2 island
2 plains
3 vindicate
3 engineered explosives
4 force of will
3 counterspell
2 fact or fiction
4 standstill
3 brainstorm
3 spellsnare
2 eternal dragon
3 decree of justice
3 wrath of god
4 swords to plowshares

sb
4 engineered plague
1 counterspell
4 meddling mage
2 ajani goldmane
2 perish
2 orims chant

4th/3rd place - Damon Whitby

4 golgari grave troll
4 stinkweed imp
3 golgari thug
4 narcomeoba
4 ichorid
4 putrid imp
1 flamekin zealot
1 eternal witness
4 breakthrough
4 cabal therapy
4 unmask
4 bridge from below
2 deep analysis
2 dread return
4 lion's eye diamond
4 gemstone mine
3 cephalid coliseum
3 city of brass
1 undiscovered paradise

sb
4 pithing needle
4 firestorm
4 chain of vapor
1 ancestor's chosen
1 emerald charm

5th-8th place - Geoff Smelski

4 swords to plow
3 wrath of god
3 decree of justice
2 eternal dragon
3 engineered exposives
3 vindicate
3 brainstorm
4 standstill
2 fact or fiction
3 spellsnare
3 counterspell
4 force of will
4 tundra
3 flooded strand
3 polluted delta
1 underground sea
1 scrubland
2 plains
2 island
1 swamp
3 mishra's factory
3 wasteland

sb
2 orim's chant
2 ajani goldmane
4 meddling mage
1 counterspell
2 chainer's edict
4 engineered plague

5th-8th place - Joe Barra

4 duress
4 thoughtseize
4 hymn to torach
2 raven's crime
3 the rack
4 pox
4 smallpox
2 tombstalker
1 cursed scroll
4 innocent blood
3 crucible of the worlds
12 swamp
4 wasteland
4 mishra's factory
4 urborg tomb of yawgmoth
2 tomb of urami

sb
2 maze of ith
2 nyxathi
4 tormod's crypt
4 engineered plague
2 null rod
1 spinning darkness

5th-8th place - Evan Gottschalk

4 golgari grave troll
4 stinkweed imp
4 narcomeoba
4 putrid imp
4 ichorid
3 golgari thug
1 cephalid sage
1 flame-kin zealot
4 breakthrough
4 cabal therapy
3 dread return
4 bridge from below
1 careful study
1 tolarian winds
2 lion's eye diamond
2 unmask
2 deep analysis
4 city of brass
4 cephalid coliseum
3 gemstone mine
1 underground river

sb
1 leyline of the void
2 slaughter pact
2 darkblast
4 hurkyll's recall
1 stifle
1 tormods crypt
4 chalice of the void

8th - 5th - David Elrod

4 brainstorm
2 thoughtseize
2 cabal therapy
4 force of will
3 ponder
1 sensei's top
1 dread return
4 daze
4 dark confidant
4 tarmogoyf
1 sutured ghoul
4 cephalid illusionist
4 nomad enkor
3 narcomeoba
1 dragon's breath
4 flooded strand
4 polluted delta
2 tundra
3 underground sea
3 tropical island
1 island
1 city of brass

sb
3 vindicate
4 counterbalance
2 sensei's top
2 mystic enforcer
2 swords to plowshares
2 worldly tutor
1 hydroblast

Bryant Cook
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Congrats to everyone. How many people were there?

T-ORGANIZER
02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Congrats to everyone. How many people were there?

true story
02-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Weird statement since only 1 (maybe 2) of the top 8 decks had Tarmogoyf in them and none of them had Dreadnought......

I wouldn't know about top 8 cause my deck sucked on me. Ok maybe there wasn't a much thresh, goyf, goose, I must've played em all tho...

Patrick
02-22-2009, 11:37 PM

This. I wish Top would get banned.

Mister Agent
02-23-2009, 02:53 AM
I love the orim's chant/meddling mage tech against storm combo Geoff.