PDA

View Full Version : [Report] T.E.E.S. takes 5th at Beta Dual Tournament

TheBirdMan
12-15-2008, 06:10 PM
This deck was made by Colin (Di) of team epic.

The Epic Elf Survival:

4 survival of the fittest

4 llanowar elves
4 fyndhorn elves
4 priest of titania
4 sylvan messengers
4 imperious perfect
3 wrens run vanquisher
1 thornweld archers
2 mirror entity
1 masticore
1 Anger
1 squee, goblin nabob
1 wood elves
3 elvish champion
1 viridian zealot
3 wire wood symbiote
2 quiron rangers

4 wooded foothills
4 windswept heaths
4 taiga
2 savannah
3 forest

s.b.
4 krosan grip
1 caller of the claw
2 gaddock teeg
3 orim's chant
1 thorn of amethyst
3 xantid swarm (These should be thorns)
1 magus of the moon

Basic plan for the deck is to either get the combo with Priest + Symbiote + Mirror entity for infinite mana/dmg or the other 80% of the time you dont get/resolve survival massive beats with 7 champions.

The Matchups:

Round 1:Brian playing Extended Affinity + L petals

G1: He drops an early chalice @ 1 which I manage to have Zealot in hand for. He gets way to many lands and estabishes a ravager but I swing for 60 turn 5 not realizing after I could have gone infinite

SB:+4 Krosan Grip -3 Elvish Champion, -1 Symbiote

G2: He gets the opposite and gets mana screwed, I turn 3 krosan grip one of his two lands and then try to go off without survival I fizzle with 14 floating so I deal 7 dmg to his remaining ornithopter with masticore and swing ftw next turn.

1-0

Round 2:Dan UG(b?) thresh
G1: I swarm him early with elves and finish by resolving a elvish champion.
SB: +3 Xantid Swarm +1 Thorn -1 Wood elves, -1 Symbiote, -1 Masticore, -1 Imperious Perfect

G2: This game by far I made so many play mistakes and shouldn't have won. I got down to 2 life. One notable play error was not swinging with swarm and playing wren's run vanquisher into spell snare. The list could continue I believe I resolved a Sylvan Messenger and was able to rally a comeback after killing 2 of 3 threshed gooses.

2-0

Round 3: Jesse (Mad Zur) playing UGB(w?) thresh
Game 1: I get a great start, he gets counterbalance out and I get him to 1 life before he stablilizes. I then had to wait a few turns to get the extra creature to swing in which seemed to be the scenario for a bunch of games that day.

SB:+1 Magus of the moon, +4 K grip, -1 Symbiote, - 1 Imperious Perfect, -1 Wrens-Run vanquisher, -1 Wood Elves -1 Masticore?

G2: He gets counterbalance out turn 2 and I somehow resolve survival turn 2 as well which was a great start. He flips a fow later with 3 cards in hand and I get him to fow a messenger or something. End of his turn i survival for Magus. My turn I get the fetchland off of counterbalance and get magus to resolve which locks all his duals as mountains. Which ironically I tried to swing with forestwalkers, which didnt work out well. But he was locked out so I swung for lethal the following turn.

3-0

Round 4: Jesse (Unreg) Playing T.E.S? (Ad nauseum angels grace)

G1:
As always I go llanowar elf pass and he wins turn 2 in my face.

SB: +3 Chant, +1 Thorn, +2 Teeg, -3 Wren-run vanquisher, -1 Archer, -1 Wood elves, -1 Elvish Champion

G2:
I get the best possible starting hand but decide to mull since I could win turn 3 but thats a lot of time for him and no sb piece for me. I mull to 5 and settle on a decent hand with survival. He mulls to 6 with I belive a no land hand and I put enough pressure for him to have to go off like turn 5 and he puts his only mb tendrils under chrome mox which causes him to fizzle :smile:.

G3:
I rip the absolute nuts, 2 Teeg and 1 chant plus 3 land and something. He goes turn 1 duress taking chant and my first draw is another chant! I go turn 2 Teeg and continue to beat face with a white source always open.

4-0

Round 5: Matt playing affinity
I thought this would be a draw but I got paired down and play it out.

Game one:
I get early survival and go off turn 4.

SB: +4 K grip -3 Elvish Champion, -1 Symbiote

G2: I play 3 elves turn 2 and he drops turn 3 e plague from which I dont recover.

G3: Turn 1 elf, turn two I k grip his only black mana source and he only draws darksteel citadel and I just win with massive elf beats.

5-0

Round 6: ID
5-0-1

Top 8:
Round 1:Alix (Obfuscate Freely) UGbw Landstill
G1: This plays just like game 1 against his brother. I got Alix to 1 life and eventually get in there with elvish champion.

SB: +4 K grip, -1 Wood Elves, -1 Symbiote, -1 Wrens run, -1 Masticore.

G2: He gets counterbalance, top, eplague and deed out. Deeds for 2 drops another counterbalance and it spirals down hill from here.

G3: See G2 but add in 2nd E plague and k grip gets countered by CB @3 :frown:.

This deck has run great even tho I make infinite play errors when I play it including the 1-2 drop and 4-0 side event win at TMLO the current tournament record for this deck is 10-3-1 which is too bad for its first two events.
(Also its 4-0 against affinity)

A funny side note from TMLO I beat dreadstill in the finals of the side event because he droped standstill, swung with dreadnought and I blocked with wrens-run vanquisher and killed dreadnought :tongue:

Props:
Eli for another great event.
Krosan Grip for hitting lands.
Colin for giving me this unposted list.
The Virginia guys for driving 5-6 hours to come.

Slops:
Me, for going the wrong way adding an hour to my drive and causing round 1 pairings to change twice.
Rsaunder for playing landstill and going to time multiple times.
Everyone who didnt come

Whit3 Ghost
12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it.
Grats on the finish.
With fucking elves.
What's wrong with this picture?

Bryant Cook
12-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Congrats, glad to see an EPIC deck did well.

rsaunder
12-15-2008, 08:38 PM
What's wrong with this picture?
Not exactly sure but for some reason I have the image of elves fucking in my head. Who should I blame for this?

And landstill was a bad idea, I didn't have time to get food till I got thrashed by Team America final round.

Di
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Not exactly sure but for some reason I have the image of elves fucking in my head. Who should I blame for this?

And landstill was a bad idea, I didn't have time to get food till I got thrashed by Team America final round.

Me.

This finish gives me a lot more confidence in the deck. It's seriously a beast. I'll be talking about it in the Survival thread sometime soon.

Blackened
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I watched a few of your matches and the deck looked like a lot of fun to play. Congrats on your 5th place finish.

rsaunder
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Me.Damn you Di for arousing me so.

And I think the deck's got an asston of potential too. Good job piloting it Quack, and good job on the design bit Di.

Raider Bob
12-17-2008, 09:17 AM
T.E.E.S?

The Epic Elf Shiter?

Shriekmaw
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
T.E.E.S?

The Epic Elf Shiter?

I don't know about the name, but I don't see how this deck is better than the straight up elves combo deck you can play. This deck goes provide more potential answers b/c of survival, but is it really better?

Eldariel
12-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't know about the name, but I don't see how this deck is better than the straight up elves combo deck you can play. This deck goes provide more potential answers b/c of survival, but is it really better?

Mostly the fact, that against any permission-decks, Survival gives you an "I win"-button. Also, increases consistency. It may be a bit slower, but if you aren't playing Belcher, speed shouldn't be your primary concern anyways. Beating the aggro/control decks is where it's at and Survival really helps in that regard.

Nightmare
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM

In short, yes it is. It's got far more game against cards like Chalice of the Void, etc. because it is, by nature, more of a Survival deck than a combo deck. Consider it an aggro deck that can combo, rather than the combo deck that has an aggro-back up plan, as the combo version would be.

Bryant Cook
12-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know about the name.
Same. Colin, name this pile already.

KillemallCFH
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
In short, yes it is. It's got far more game against cards like Chalice of the Void, etc. because it is, by nature, more of a Survival deck than a combo deck. Consider it an aggro deck that can combo, rather than the combo deck that has an aggro-back up plan, as the combo version would be.I'd tend to agree with this. When I played against TheBirdMan in the side event of TMLO, I didn't even know he was playing Survival (or any sort of combo) until the third game, when he landed a Survival and combo'd off in my face a turn before I was going to win.

Di
12-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Same. Colin, name this pile already.

I like TES, but that was already taken, so TEES works for me. Otherwise, "Storm combo sucks, I prefer Elf Combo Survival" as a deckname works just fine.

TheBirdMan
12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
"Storm combo sucks, I prefer Elf Combo Survival"
I love it.