PDA

View Full Version : [Tournament] Chicago GPT, Utrecht the Netherlands january 18th

Roelke
12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
The winner of this tournament wins a trip to Chicago, hotelcosts*, entrance fee to the Grand Prix and 3 byes!

Date: January 18th 2009
Where:
Nationaal Denksport Centrum
Kennedylaan 9, Utrecht
Entry Fee: 15 Euros
The Venue opens at 10 o'clock, the tournaments starts at eleven.

Next to the trip to Chicago these prizes wil be given away:
1x iPod Classic
2x iPod Shuffle
Set of Revised Duals
Set of “fetchlands”
Playset Thoughtseizes
Playset Aether Vials
Playset Duress
Some random foils
Playset Force of Wills
Playset Lion’s Eye Diamonds
Playset Meddling Mages
Display Fifth Dawn
More to follow...

Additional info can be found here in dutch (http://forum.benelegacy.nl/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1152)

Pre-registration: mail to: Eelco1972@hotmail.com

*subjected to change

Waikiki
12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Ill be there ;)

kroelai
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Team TSG will be there too!

Atwa
12-24-2008, 06:00 AM
I really want to go to Chicago, if only to satisfy scrumdogg's unexplainable need to see me IRL :)

I hate the fact I haven't payed any real attention to magic the last half year when seeing this, but as I'm sick at home right now, I might even decide to not sit braindead behind the television to see how many episodes of One Piece a person can watch before he dies, but do something usefull with my time instead.

Now only to decide whatto play. I guess IcBE Goyf Control isn't as strong as it used to be, so I guess I'll have to start from scratch when making a new deck.

That would be pretty cool though, winning this thing with a deck I only had 3 weeks for to learn, build and to read up on 7 months of Legacy lecture to catch up with the newer decks/strategies.

Is anyone from the soutern parts of the Netherlands also comming? If so, we could share a ride.

Windux
12-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Another event where I can see some Dutch friends again :)

The germans will be there :D

DeathScythe
12-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Another event where I can see some Dutch friends again :)

The germans will be there :D

unlike several PTQ cycles where germans took over 50% of our slots we won't let that happen this time! :tongue:

Windux
12-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Because there is just one slot and a german take this place?
That would be 100 % and not 50% so you are damn right ;P

scrumdogg
12-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Hmmm...1914...1940...yeah, you're overdue to be invaded by your neighbors...again...sucks to be you. And I don't have some sort of weird Atwa fetish, I'm just supportive of anyone stup...intrepid enough to cross the Atlantic to play Legacy. >.>

Waikiki
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll make a bet germans wont take the slot!

Van Phanel
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
We'll see about that. I'll be there.

Atwa
01-01-2009, 02:01 PM
We'll see about that. I'll be there.

That doesn't matter, I have a little score to settle with you for kicking me out of the Top4 on the source tournament.

rsaunder
01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Damn, that's amazing prize support. I wish I could make this one.

Van Phanel
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
That doesn't matter, I have a little score to settle with you for kicking me out of the Top4 on the source tournament.

When did that happen?
Because, as far as I remember, I never played against you so far.

If you're talking about last year, that was either Taco or Illissius if I remember correctly.

Anyways, see you there.

Edit: Just dug it up, it was Illissius.

Adan
01-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Team SPOD thought about attending, but we realized that we can alternatively play out monthly Hassloch tournament since 500km are just too far.

I mean, even Annecy is closer to us than Utrecht. And most of us have to work the next day (or have school in case of Clemens and me).

But it's obvious that the guys from North-Rhine Westfalia will be there, they just need 2 hours to get to Utrecht.

And well, they need to, Windux has got a title to defend. :-P

Mantis
01-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Think I'll be there. Always wanted to go to the US, too bad everybody in the room does too. See you guys then!
Btw, amazing prize support.

Roelke
01-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I'd like to request everybody who wants to go to this tournament to pre-register; the TO really appreciates this.

Some other news: This is now officially a trail so byes will be awarded (3 Byes for the winner and more byes for top4/top8 depending on turnout).

At the moment more the 75 people have pre-registered!

matelml
01-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Team SPOD thought about attending, but we realized that we can alternatively play out monthly Hassloch tournament since 500km are just too far.

I mean, even Annecy is closer to us than Utrecht. And most of us have to work the next day (or have school in case of Clemens and me).

But it's obvious that the guys from North-Rhine Westfalia will be there, they just need 2 hours to get to Utrecht.

And well, they need to, Windux has got a title to defend. :-P

I don't thnk that title is his to defend anymore.

At 128 players the whole T8 will get 3 byes, which means if you have a load of money, you have a good chance of making day 2 at the GP if you attend to this tournament.

Atwa
01-18-2009, 01:55 PM
No Atwa at the GP :cry:

I've failed you by going 1-3 drop. Playing the 2 most horrible matchups possible right after each other really breaks your spirit.

cdr
01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Anything you can tell us about the tournament? Players?

Atwa
01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I left while they were playing round 7, and I hadn't been at the tournament grounds since round 5, so I have no idea what decks were preforming good and such, but to my recollection they announced there were 158 players. The results can be included for the DtB forum.

As far as I have seen, the meta was a lot of Threshold, Dreadstill, Aggro Loam and AnT, along with Goblins, Zoo and lots of other decks. There were also a lot of people present who were playing their first Legacy tournament, so the field was really diverse.

Pee-Dee-2
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Nobody out there who can tell us something about the tournament today? Decks? Winners etc.?

WiLdFiRe
01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Apparently Dreadstill won.

rockout
01-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Apparently Dreadstill won.

LOL

electrolyze
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
The top 8(in no order) was:

merfolks
3xdreadstill
faerie stompy
ugr tempothresh
ugr thresh(not tempo i guess)
gbw deadguy rock

There were about 160 players so it was a great tourney:laugh:

rockout
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM

merfolks
3xdreadstill
faerie stompy
ugr tempothresh
gbw deadguy rock

Merfolk is even funnier than Dreadstill. I hope someone posts their list so I can test it.

Adan
01-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Man that Top8 is random. Good that SPOD didn't go there at all. I'm going to die if the Threshold lists are random, too...

DeathScythe
01-19-2009, 03:55 AM

merfolks
3xdreadstill
faerie stompy
ugr tempothresh
gbw deadguy rock

im not sure about the exact T8 but I DO know that there was an extended elf-combo deck in it, and my god did he rub it in on the way back...

Muradin
01-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Both Threshold decks were tempo variants and while one was an exact copy of the list that won the Winter Wonderland tournament the other one was playing Magus of the Moon.

Top 8 was nearly as said above, but there were only 2x Dreadstill decks and an Elves combo deck in there.

I won with Dreadstill not losing a match all day long. However I am not flying to Chicago as I'll have my final exams in school soon after the GP and second place didn't want to go either. So in the end I think the 3rd or even the 4th did get the flight as the others couldn't go.

Pee-Dee-2
01-19-2009, 06:28 AM
@Muradin: Grats for winning the tourney by none-losing a Game. But why were you playing t8, if you can't go to the GP? Didn't Elco ask all people to pass the t8?

@Adan: Next time, we germans will be back ;-)

Soulles
01-19-2009, 07:22 AM
During the tournament (which was also synced with the GPT for Rotterdam Sealed) my friend lost his T2 5c Control deck. It either got stolen, accidentally taken or he lost it and someone found it.

If anyone knows anything, i would like this person to come forword by pm please. He is really torn about it

The important content is

4x foil Cryptic Command (Lorywen)
2x foil Cruel Ultimatum
4x Reflecting Pool (shadowmoor)
3x Thoughtseize
3x Bitterblossom
3x Wrath of God
2x Cloudtresher

It was in a greendeck box, Ultra pro.

Tnx in advance

Van Phanel
01-19-2009, 07:28 AM
The Top8 were:

1) Dreadstill (U-r)
2) Canadian Thrash
3) Dreadstill (U-g-r)
4) Eva Green/Rock (I haven't seen all that much of his list, but it includeeeeed Tidehollow Sculler and no Sinkholes)
5-8) Merfolk
5-8) ?
5-8) ?
5-8) ?

I personally went 0-3 drop but as it was a friend of mine who won the whole thing, I watched it until the end.

Actually the third placed player won the flight to Chicago because the first two didn't want to/ couldn't go.

Edit: Oops, posted this after only having read page one.

DKK
01-19-2009, 07:58 AM
There were 156 players.

Top 8 was:
1. Ur Dreadstill
2. UGR ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh
3. UGr Dreadstill (me)
4. BGW Rock
5-8. Merfolk
5-8. Combo Elves
5-8. Faerie Stompy
5-8. UGR ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh (not sure)

While playing the semi's it became clear that both the later finalists didn't want/weren't allowed to go to Chicago. So me and the other semi-finalist played it out and I won 2-0.

Here's my list:
Creatures:
3 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Tarmogoyf
2 Trinket Mage

Spells:
4 Standstill
4 Brainstorm
2 Ponder
4 Force of Will
3 Daze
2 Spell Snare
3 Counterbalance
4 Stifle
1 Trickbind
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Sensei's Divining Top

Lands:
3 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
2 Tropical Island
2 Volcanic Island
4 Island
3 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory

Sideboard:
3 Firespout
3 Hydroblast
3 Krosan Grip
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pithing Needle

I went 6-0-2 resulting in a 3rd place Swiss finish with 20 points. In t8 I defeated the Elf player and lost a very close and cool match against Ur Dreadstill. Congrats on your win Bernhard (Muradin)!

Overall I went 8-1-2 in matches and 18-6 in games, playing Ponder as I promoted for the past week in the Dreadstill thread. The deck is real consistent and very good.

Waikiki
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
That t8 from DDK is correct.

I used tempo thresh and the 8th place player (bastiaan) used his own personal finetuned build of UGR thresh (no CB)

@Adam

Saying this T8 is random sounds like bullshit to me. The gwb rock deck had some really nice techs. Dreadstill was all over the place just like combo. Something dreadstill has a strong chance against. So figures they show up in the T8.

I have no idea how the elf deck looks like so I cant really say anything about that one.

Faerie stompy was played by a very good pilot and found its way in the dreadstill heavy meta.

Bahamuth
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have the Dreadstill list with Crucibles?

Mantis
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
The T8 is not random at all.
Combo Elves will become an estabalished archetype in the upcoming 2 or 3 months. A deck that is both good in Vintage and in Extended, must be good in Legacy.

The 2 Dreadstill and 2 Threshold decks are not random, I think everyone can agree with me on this one. I guess some do, oh Dreadstill is only the best deck in the format and Threshold the second best..

Faerie Stompy is a very strong deck, it's a lot better than it gets credit for.

The BGW Rock player was awesome and had a very fine tuned deck.

Merfolk making T8 is mind boggling to me though, I really thought that deck was awful. Although Aether Vial was very good with the high amount of Counterbalance and just counter orientated decks in general running around.

I would also like to add that the level of play in this tournament was pretty high, the top players in Holland were there together with a lot of very strong Germans and Belgians. Unless you were there, you have got nothing to brag about. It's a good accomplisment to go T8 in an 8 round, 158 man tournament, you can not attribute that to luck or randomness.

Personally I just missed T8 every losing a very close match to the Elf Combo deck. Otherwise I could have drawn in.

Bahamuth
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
The T8 is not random at all.
Combo Elves will become an estabalished archetype in the upcoming 2 or 3 months. A deck that is both good in Vintage and in Extended, must be good in Legacy.

The 2 Dreadstill and 2 Threshold decks are not random, I think everyone can agree with me on this one. I guess some do, oh Dreadstill is only the best deck in the format and Threshold the second best..

Faerie Stompy is a very strong deck, it's a lot better than it gets credit for.

The BGW Rock player was awesome and had a very fine tuned deck.

Merfolk making T8 is mind boggling to me though, I really thought that deck was awful. Although Aether Vial was very good with the high amount of Counterbalance and just counter orientated decks in general running around.

I would also like to add that the level of play in this tournament was pretty high, the top players in Holland were there together with a lot of very strong Germans and Belgians. Unless you were there, you have got nothing to brag about. It's a good accomplisment to go T8 in an 8 round, 158 man tournament, you can not attribute that to luck or randomness.

Personally I just missed T8 every losing a very close match to the Elf Combo deck. Otherwise I could have drawn in.

I agree that the top8 isn't that random at all, except for the Merfolk and the Elves. I don't think Elves as a combo deck has enough advantages over any other combo in Legacy.

I went 6-2, just missing the top8 too. I am the Solidarity player you played in the last round btw, Mantis. You got really unlucky game 2.

Mantis
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree that the top8 isn't that random at all, except for the Merfolk and the Elves. I don't think Elves as a combo deck has enough advantages over any other combo in Legacy.

I went 6-2, just missing the top8 too. I am the Solidarity player you played in the last round btw, Mantis. You got really unlucky game 2.
You have like an 80-20 matchup against Goblins anyway especially against Mono Red without Therapy/Thoughtseize. Seeing you are a clear master with Solidarity that matchup percentage might even be higher. I'm sorry if I came off a bit frustrated in our match, but that was mainly because I just missed T8 in a very close match against Elf Combo and then had to play an impossible matchup.

I actually do think Elf Combo is pretty solid as it can go into Aggro mode as well. Mirror Entity or Lords + tons of little green critters win you the game as well, the deck doesn't rely on Glimpse of Nature all that much.

Kris
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I also missed Top8 with ANT.

With all the respect for the GWB Rock player, but I was really suprised he played Top8 'cause he Thoughtseized me three times wrongly during our match. With his main- and sideboard, he is chanceless against any combodeck. Guess he didn't got paired against combo the other 7 matches...

How can this Elf combo deck be better than Tendrils Combo? It loses to the same hate as Tendrils Combo and more. Plus it goes off later.

GrtzK

Mantis
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Elf combo doesnt lose to Trinisphere, Duress/Thoughtseize/Hymn to Tourach and Chalice at 0. Now ANT or TES doesn't necessarily lose to this hate, but it's much more vunerable than Elves is to hate. I think we can agree on that.

I thought the Rock player was solid, but I must have misjudged that then. BTW how he is chanceless against combo? He had multiple Duress effects and Tidehollow Sculler in his deck paired with Vindicates and a strong clock this should be a pretty even matchup I think.

Windux
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
That seems like a fair result.
A german won the whole thing and you dutch people can say "a dutch got the tickets" ;)

Van Phanel
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
That seems like a fair result.
A german won the whole thing and you dutch people can say "a dutch got the tickets" ;)

True that.

Also the Dreadstill-list that Bahamuth requested (the list of the winner):

2 Volcanic Island
6 Island
3 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Wasteland

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Trinket Mage

4 Brainstorm
4 Standstill
2 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Counterbalance
3 Spell Snare
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Stifle
2 Trickbind
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Engineered Explosives

SB:
2 Crucible of Worlds
2 Blood Moon (won the finals where a Magus wouldn't have done anything against Thrash)
2 Pyroclasm
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Relic of Progenitus
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives

The Crucibles won him at least 2 matches in the swiss (possibly more) and the semifinals in the mirror. The idea was, that both Landstill and the mirror are close matchups and an active Crucible simply wins those. He turned out to be right.

Waikiki
01-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Blood moon didn't really bother me. I simply ran out of gas and couldn't answer CB anymore. CB won the game.

Roelke
01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
With special thanks to the head judge Jasper, these are the t8 decklists.

For the record: 156 players showed up and played 8 rounds of swiss. In the quarter finals Bernhard and Dennis played for a 160 GB ipod while Duncan and Mattias played for a trip to Chicago.

1. Bernhard Klinger
// Lands
6 Island
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
3 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory
2 Volcanic Island

// Creatures
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Trinket Mage

// Spells