PDA

View Full Version : Mox Pearl 1/24/2009 CASH Tournament @ THE GRID GAMES in Manchester, CT

The Grid Games
12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
The Grid Games in Manchester, CT is hosting its third Legacy cash tournament. After taking a break for the holidays its time to focus on the Legacy tournament scene in CT. Attendance at this event will shape future Legacy and possibly Vintage events in Connecticut.

Prize support for this event if there are a minimum of 12 players will be over $400 in cash and cards.

WHERE:
THE GRID GAMES
52 PURNELL PLACE
MANCHESTER, CT 06040
860-645-9006
http://thegridgames.net

WHEN:
SATURDAY January 24th
REGISTRATION STARTS AT 12 NOON
TOURNAMENT STARTS AT 1PM
ENTRY FEE $20.00

GREAT PRIZE SUPPORT:
1ST PLACE Mox Pearl (heavily played but very tournament legal) & $50.00
2ND PLACE $75.00
3RD & 4TH PLACE $50.00
5TH – 8TH PLACE DRAFT SET
This tournament is sanctioned and will be swiss pairings cut to a single elimination top 8. There will be side Legacy, Standard and Draft events throughout the day.

GUARANTEED PRIZE SUPPORT WITH A MINIMUM OF 12 PLAYERS

PRIZES WILL BE ADJUSTED UPWARDS BASED ON ATTENDANCE

Kadaj
12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I suppose theoretically I could make it to this, but I doubt I'll actually end up going due to its timing. Bleh.

Ebinsugewa
12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
On the same day as a Reel Big Fish concert that's also my birthday party. No go, sorry.

Jaynel
12-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Will likely attend.

J.V.
12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
On the same day as a Reel Big Fish concert that's also my birthday party. No go, sorry.

...see above.

TrialByFire
12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Will likely attend.

x2 with others

ForceofWill
12-28-2008, 02:25 AM
I'll probably show up with someone else.

rockout
01-01-2009, 01:53 AM
I should be there with 3-4.

PTPaul
01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Giddyup!

I think this a great event as we all gear up for GP Chi-town. The prize support seems fantastic and I really appreciate legacy TOs giving vintage power cards as prize support.

Anyone interested in attending GP Chi-town should be at this event, as its a great way to work as a group to get the NE magic scene to the event.

BTW if you couldn't figure it out, I intend to take this one down.

Karl, any chance that you could start holding a monthly vintage tourney to compliment these?

Bryant Cook
01-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Reel Big Fish > Magic. Any day of the week.

Ebinsugewa
01-02-2009, 06:29 AM
I think this a great event as we all gear up for GP Chi-town. The prize support seems fantastic and I really appreciate legacy TOs giving vintage power cards as prize support.

Karl, any chance that you could start holding a monthly vintage tourney to compliment these?

I just wanted to pop back in and posit that giving out Vintage prize support for Legacy events is probably the worst thing you could do besides give out no prizes. The only use power has for most players is to be sold, while Goyfs, fetches, duals et al. open up more deck opportunities and encourage people to play the format more. Even something like Standard-legal packs can be drafted. That said, I would love for there to be more Vintage events in this area, and I would like to play the format again, so don't take this advice the wrong way.

RoddyVR
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
If i win the Hadley event for a emerald, i'm definetly coming to this and winning the Pearl. Then all i'd need is a sliver that sais something like "you can play banned cards if you're playing a sliver deck" and i'd be all set.

While a playset of duals and other legacy playable stuff like that might be a more usable prize, i think the moxes arent actualy a bad idea... there's enough vintage people around the legacy scene that they arent horribly hard to trade away, and the "i've to a MOX" factor is realy apealling. I'd never buy a Mox, but winning one would be realy cool to the point of where i might actualy NOT trade it away (assuming i could win one of them).

PS... will probably make it to this tourny.

MANMAN
01-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I should make with one, maybe 2 others. I really need the practice before Chicago.

PTPaul
01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
2 and a 1/2 weeks to go until this bad boy...Anyone know where the GP Chicago Trials are going to be taking place? I've heard rumor of one taking place at The Grid.

I'm hoping we can hit 30+ for this bad boy, b/c I need to recoup points after my winter fiasco in Cuse.

Cya!

mtglordtom24
01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
This tourney seems awesome! I'm probably going to drive back from school for this. Looking forward to it. Keep running ct legacy Karl, everyone should turn out for this one.

PTPaul
01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Just 10 Days to go!

I came up just a smidge short in Hadley, so I've been taking my vitamins, saying my prayers and working extra hard to win myself a Pearl at The Grid.

Think you can handle that brother?

I'm not 100% sure what I'll be playing at the tourney, but I sure know what I'll be bringing...THE PAIN!!!!!

:-)

rockout
01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Just 10 Days to go!

I came up just a smidge short in Hadley, so I've been taking my vitamins, saying my prayers and working extra hard to win myself a Pearl at The Grid.

Think you can handle that brother?

I'm not 100% sure what I'll be playing at the tourney, but I sure know what I'll be bringing...THE PAIN!!!!!

:-)

The pain as in anal penetration?

MikeyFlowers
01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I'll be there, this is going to be awesome. I'm bringing a totally new deck, I went wild on ebay this week and I have the cards for three decks now so that I can rotate what I'll be playing until I find something I really like.

PTPaul
01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Awesome.

Just an FYI there are tourneys at The Grid every day and since its centrally located it may be a good place for people to playtest between rounds.

There is extended every Tuesday night at 6:30pm which isn't exactly legacy but its close. For more information join The Grid group on Facebook or go to their website: http://thegridgames.net/

A special heads up to anyone who plans on going to a Conflux PreRelease anywhere. I strongly encourage you to join The Grid Facebook group...that's all I can say for now, but needless to say I know many spell slingers will be very happy if they do.

mtglordtom24
01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
All but certain that I will be there, anyone who misses this will regret it. As a Grid player myself, there's no other place to play your prerelease, and the word is that joining the Grid Games Facebook group may bring you some kind of goodies for the prerelease. The prerelease that TJ's did at UHart for Shards was an utter debacle, so go down to the Grid and play Conflux there.

Paul, the only pain you're bringing is going to be listening to you complain after you take third or something.

RoddyVR
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
So just realized this thing is in only a couple days. Gotta make sure i can take the car on saturday (should be no problem) and then i'll ask the question, so who wants a ride from worcester? Send me a PM if you wanna go.
Finaly looked up where manchester is, its way closer then i was afraid. Barely an hour from worcester.

J.V.
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll be there with Ben (Force_of_Will) and Josh Cicio.

Joe_C
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Im in.. Anyone between Bristol and there need a lift? Im going by my lonesome otherwise, but meeting people there......

Should be fun.... Just gotta decide what to play:wink:

PTPaul
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
My quick head count of posts puts attendance at 15 so far.

I hope there is a larger turnout than that as the prize is guaranteed if we hit 12 but it would be awesome if we can make legacy at The Grid rival the ones in Hadley where there are 40-50+ people per legacy event.

The best part is that prize support will increase porportionally with attendance. So if we can get a bunch of people the whole top 8 may get a bunch of cash or the winner may have a mox and enough money to swim in.

Looking forward to building a Legacy @ The Grid and in CT!

mtglordtom24
01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Paul, it'd be a shame if all of your marketing went to waste on this one. I don't feel like 15 would be enough to call the tournament a success, 25 would be more comfortable IMO. I will be there, so I figure around 20 people have said they're going, though it's hard to count on this thread because we don't know if people are bringing others for sure or not. I tried to get someone from school to come, but they told me they'll be too drunk Friday night.

Either way, I'll be playing Jaynel round one again and this time he won't get the white source like a champ and I'll beat him. (Calling you out Jaynel. Your Survival will not make it out of this one! PUN INTENDED!!!) Paul, I have a short list of cards I need to borrow from you which I can PM you or whatever, let me know.

P.S.: The rumor is that if this tournament hits 40-50, there'll be a party at Paul's place after, which is good because he just moved to a location "very close" to the Grid and he needs unwanted guests. ;P

rockout
01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Im in.. Anyone between Bristol and there need a lift? Im going by my lonesome otherwise, but meeting people there......

Should be fun.... Just gotta decide what to play:wink:

Play something with force of will like your signature says.

J.V.
01-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Either way, I'll be playing Jaynel round one again and this time he won't get the white source like a champ and I'll beat him. (Calling you out Jaynel. Your Survival will not make it out of this one! PUN INTENDED!!!) Paul, I have a short list of cards I need to borrow from you which I can PM you or whatever, let me know.

Apparently you haven't read the rule book, I'm the only one who gets to call out Jared <3

Jaynel
01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
This is kinda creepy. Not so sure if I approve of this.

PTPaul
01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Let's get the record straight.

J-star is my new BFFL, now I just have to get him to shake some of his bad habits, and I'm not talking about his desire to play Survival decks.

As far as partying and such goes, I do know only the foolish would fail to join The Grid Facebook group before Monday, because there is a super sweet announcement coming out Monday about the Conflux Pre-Release there.

BTW has anyone noticed how many gold and domain based cards there are in the new set? Are they trying to make it so everyone plays 5 color in draft like me or what? The good news is that I've mastered sketchy mana bases.

I'm very confident that we will have an awesome attendance at this event and many more Legacy Events at The Grid along with possibly Vintage as I was talking with many locals and helping them prepare for Saturday's tourney last night.

If you know someone who plays legacy and they haven't posted on here, you should send them an IM or something and make sure they don't miss out on this fun.

In closing I was talking to Karl about the first place Mox Pearl and there were several offers made on it in the last few weeks by Vintage players so as far as the quality goes, it's not perfect but it will sure as heck play.

Game on everyone.

:-PTPaul

J.V.
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
This is kinda creepy. Not so sure if I approve of this.

Don't lie to yourself Jared, you love this shit.:wink:

asdljas
01-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Two coming from Team Insight.

mtglordtom24
01-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Paul, I feel like 5 color is getting tighter with landcycling and the "Souls," that pump to insanity for 1 of each color, but it's hard to say how that will look in draft.

As for Jaynel getting called out. I can do it, you know why? Because I said so. Jared is my boy now and he's going down!!!

Paul I'm just going to text you the list of cards that I would like to borrow.

RoddyVR
01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
As of right now, i'm driving down tomorow by my lonesome... which is kind of boring. So if anyone wants a free ride from worcester or anywhere on the way from here to there, send me a PM before i leave tomorow.

Rood
01-24-2009, 10:11 PM
So who won?

J.V.
01-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Ben split with Goyf Sligh Playing Evolution Thresh. Josh Cicio Also top 8'd with Evolution Thresh.
Top 8:
1 RB(g?) Goblins (Force_of_Will and Josh Cicio)
1 Goyf Sligh
2 Evolution Thresh
1 Uwb Landstill (RockOut)
1 GRbw Survival (B4RON)
1 Imperial Painter
1 Merfolk

Top 4:
2 Evolution Thresh
Goblins
Goyf Sligh

Top 2:
Evolution Thresh
Goyf Sligh

ForceofWill
01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
1-2 Evolution Thresh (ME)
1-2 Goyf Sligh (guy who works at store)

3-4 Evolution Thresh (Josh Cicio)
3-4 RBg Goblins with some interesting card choices (Ed Dunning)

5-8 Uwb Landstill (rockout)
5-8 Imperial Painter (Louis Gentile sp??)
5-8 GBwr Survival (B4RON)
5-8 Merfolk (I believe he lurks)

Fun tournament about time I won one. Friendly's after kicked ass but H00ters probably would have been better.

PS: Aaron you're a dick for not selling me those threads.

Jaynel
01-25-2009, 12:45 AM
1-2 Evolution Thresh (ME)
1-2 Goyf Sligh (guy who works at store)

3-4 Evolution Thresh (Josh Cicio)
3-4 RBg Goblins with some interesting card choices (Ed Dunning)

5-8 Uwb Landstill (rockout)
5-8 Ubg Painter (PTPaul)
5-8 GBwr Survival (B4RON)
5-8 Merfolk (I believe he lurks)

Fun tournament about time I won one. Friendly's after kicked ass but H00ters probably would have been better.

Friendly's after did indeed kick ass. So much funny.

And I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but 32 people showed up.

mtglordtom24
01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
I just want to make a few notes. PTPaul did not top 8, he took 15th. Imperial Painter is more accurately described as Dragon Stompy/Painter and Louis didn't even know what some of his cards did.

Either way, I'll be playing Jaynel round one again and this time he won't get the white source like a champ and I'll beat him. (Calling you out Jaynel. Your Survival will not make it out of this one! PUN INTENDED!!!)

Who did I play round 1? Why it would be Jaynel. How did the match turn out? I got him 2-0. It was an utterly ridiculous match, but, none-the-less, I got there.

Overall a very fun day, I was not happy with losing to Goyf Sligh and Merfolk to get 10th place, but I'll just do better next time.

Props:

-Karl, for running some Legacy at the Grid.
-Hymn to Tourach, for hitting Jaynel's 2x Swords to Plowshares.
-Jared aka "Jaynel," for being the man.
-PT Paul, for lending me cards and being the coolest as well.
-Ed Dunning, for TRUCKING IT with Goblins. Sketchy Goblins, but Goblins none-the-less.

Slops:

-The Middletown Crew, for going to Maryland for a PTQ instead.
-PT Paul, 15th place?!? 2-2-1? Really?!? Tighten that shit up.
-I didn't make any trades today. What's up with that?
-People's criticisms about my deck choice and card selection, makes me want to scream at them how much better I am than they are, but I try to be humble.
-Chris Victor. Top 8'ing with Merfolk will only encourage him, that deck is so bad.
-The guy who misplaced his Phyrexian Dreadnought and was accusing people of stealing it.
-My bitterness, I should be more positive.

ForceofWill
01-25-2009, 01:29 AM
I just want to make a few notes. PTPaul did not top 8, he took 15th. Imperial Painter is more accurately described as Dragon Stompy/Painter and Louis didn't even know what some of his cards did.

Derf Derf I played him in top 8 what the hell was I thinking..

Ebinsugewa
01-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Slops:

-People's criticisms about my deck choice and card selection, makes me want to scream at them how much better I am than they are, but I try to be humble.
-Chris Victor. Top 8'ing with Merfolk will only encourage him, that deck is so bad.

:really: :really: :really: :really: :really:

rockout
01-25-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm two for two with top 8s at Grid events. I need to learn how to play magic in a top 8. Another great event, good people as always except for that kid accused Louis of stealing a dreadnought then they ended up playing each other and the kid didn't spell snare painter's servant or top to get the two blasts effects on the top of his deck when Louis tried to blast needle naming grindstone.

b4r0n
01-25-2009, 12:59 PM

You'll still think I'm a dick regardless of what I do. You can keep borrowing those Threads whenever you want them, though. Hell, maybe I should just get you to sign them.

J.V.
01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
You'll still think I'm a dick regardless of what I do. You can keep borrowing those Threads whenever you want them, though. Hell, maybe I should just get you to sign them.

Don't do that, you've seen my Hebrew Glory that he signed, Ben's handwriting is fucking terrible.

ForceofWill
01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't think you are a dick just stu.. misinformed ;) . How about I stamp my name on them instead.

Michael Keller
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Nice to see Imperial Painter in the Top 8.

rockout
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Nice to see Imperial Painter in the Top 8.

Agreed. It was a good choice.

J.V.
01-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Conclusion made by this tournament, Trygon Predator>Imperial Painter... DING!

mtglordtom24
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Trygon Predator steamrolled that deck singlehandedly. How else does one come back from an opponent having 3x Sword of Light and Shadow?

I want to note that I beat the Mono Red Painter deck in the Swiss and was not impressed, but somehow he managed to Top 8 with it.

ForceofWill
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Is there anyway Carl can post the decklists?

KillemallCFH
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Don't do that, you've seen my Hebrew Glory that he signed, Ben's handwriting is fucking terrible.Wait, why did Ben sign a Hebrew Glory? Signing a Hebrew card seems like a job for a Lefkowitz. (Unless Glories are known for coming in 3rd or something...)

J.V.
01-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Actually the story behind that is that I was going to have him sign my Force of Wills, but then I saw his handwriting, which is fucking terrible and was like, hmm, nope, don't sign my force of wills, and he started looking through my binder and asked if he could sign the glory so I said sure.

Enigma
01-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Evolution Thresh = UGr Next level grow with MD trygons and relics??

Would be nice to have a list of those decks.

PM

Michael Keller
01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Trygon Predator steamrolled that deck singlehandedly. How else does one come back from an opponent having 3x Sword of Light and Shadow?

I want to note that I beat the Mono Red Painter deck in the Swiss and was not impressed, but somehow he managed to Top 8 with it.

That's because I wasn't playing it.

And for the love of Christ, Trygon Predator? That card should never see the light of day against someone playing Imperial Painter, especially the original version with Lightning Bolts (which I still advocate). I've played against at least four or five opponents in major sanctioned events boarding in T.P. and it was never a factor.

KillemallCFH
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Evolution Thresh = UGr Next level grow with MD trygons and relics??

Would be nice to have a list of those decks.

PMAssuming its the same deck they've been playing, Evolution Thresh is UGrw Thresh with Cryptic Commands (and some number of Trygon Predators between main and side).

J.V.
01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Assuming its the same deck they've been playing, Evolution Thresh is UGrw Thresh with Cryptic Commands (and some number of Trygon Predators between main and side).

It no longer has Cryptic Command.

KillemallCFH
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
It no longer has Cryptic Command.Oh.

Well, a list would be cool, if you don't mind sharing it, Ben.

Rehallek
01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I want to note that I beat the Mono Red Painter deck in the Swiss

Definitely don't care.

ForceofWill
01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Report/List here:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12603

MikeyFlowers
01-25-2009, 11:55 PM
-The guy who misplaced his Phyrexian Dreadnought and was accusing people of stealing it.

I didn't misplace it and I didn't accuse "people" of stealing it. I accused one person of stealing it. The one person who I'm still more than 99% convinced did steal it.

I'm 100% certain that I had it with me when I showed up at the grid and I'm 100% certain that within moments of this person sitting down at the table across from me while I filled in my deck registration form it suddenly disappeared.

You didn't have the conversations I had with this person and you didn't see what I saw. It's easy to tell when somebody is lying to you and this kid certainly seemed to be lying to me.

This card was substantially valuable and worse yet was part of a matching set of four Pete Venters autographed cards. Not only am out a $50 card but the value of the remaining three is substantially diminished as they no longer are a set.

Maybe he just picked it up to look at it and then realized I hadn't noticed and slipped it into his pocket or maybe he did right away intend to steal it. Maybe it's still possible that some random other person just snatched it off the table as they walked by. I really believe I know who stole it though and it's a bunch of bullshit that somebody would do that. How can you be part of something where it is hard enough to attract new players and then when you do get one you steal from him? It's not good for anybody involved and it's a shame for everybody who plays this game.

mtglordtom24
01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Some people steal for the kicks, but I don't believe he stole it. I played against him and spoke to him. The fact of the matter is that he already has substantial value in cards, including full Beta Power, so he doesn't need to steal a Dreadnought. If I were you, I would have been looking at the Pokekids, yet I don't know if they were there that early.

Rood
01-26-2009, 12:02 AM
We salute you, signed Phyrexian Dreadnought.

Also congrats Ben on taking it home and breaking your 3rd place curse.

The Grid Games
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I would like to thank all who attended for coming and congratulations to the winners. We doubled the attendance from the last Legacy event held in October so the future of Legacy at The Grid Games is looking bright.

I will be holding these events monthly with the next one to be held on Sunday February 15th at 12pm. I will be posting the prize structure and official announcement soon.

The Top 8 decklists were
1st Place Ben Lukas
Main
1 Forest
1 Island
3 Flooded Strands
3 Polluted Delta
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
3 Volcanic Island
3 Tundra
3 Tropical Island
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Nimble Mongoose
2 Trygon Predator
2 Mystic Enforcer
3 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Counterbalance
3 Sensei's Diving Top
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Ponder
4 Brainstorm

SB
3 Gaddock Teeg
2 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Krosan Grip
4 Red Elemental Blast

2nd Place Matt Kolodziej
Main
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga
7 Mountain
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
3 Fireblast
2 Price of Progress
4 Magma Jet
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Figure Of Destiny
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Mogg Fanatic
1 Barbarian Ring
3 Rift Bolt

SB
4 Pyrostatic Pillar
3 Pyroblast
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Krosan Grip
2 Red Elemental Blast

3rd Place Ed Dunning
Main
4 Wasteland
4 Badlands
2 Taiga
1 Volrath's Stronghold
2 Rishadan Port
4 Bloodstained Mire
5 Mountain
3 Siege-Gang Commander
1 Kiki Jiki Mirror Breaker
4 Goblin Ringleader
3 Warren's Weirding
1 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Aether Vial
4 Goblin Piledriver
1 Tin Street Hooligan
1 Skirk Prospector
1 Earwig Squad
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Goblin Tinkerer

SB
4 Thoughtseize
1 Vexing Shusher
3 Krosan Grip
2 Terminate
2 Pyrokinesis
3 Relic of Progenitus

4th Place Joshua Cicio
Main
2 Mystic Enforcer
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Nimble Mongoose
3 Daze
4 Counterbalance
3 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Trygon Predator
1 Forest
1 Island
3 Tropical Island
3 Volcanic Island
3 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

SB
2 Pithing Needle
3 Gaddock Teeg
1 Pyroblast
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Krosan Grip
3 Threads of Disloyalty

5th Place Aaron Lefkowitz
Main
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
4 Bayou
3 Savannah
2 Taiga
4 Forest
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Quirion Ranger
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Eternal Witness
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Anger
1 Genesis
1 Big Game Hunter
1 Shriekmaw
1 Masticore
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Darkheart Sliver
4 Thoughtsieze
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Survival of the Fittest

SB
3 Orim's Chant
1 Ethersworn Cannonist
1 Gaddock Teeg
3 Krosan Grip
2 Magus of the Moon
3 Extirpate
1 Duress
1 Vexing Shusher

6th Place Louis Gentile
Main
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Painter's Servant
4 Grindstone
4 Imperial Recruiter
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Pyroblast
1 Dragon Whelp
3 Sword of Light & Shadow
2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
2 Figure of Destiny
1 Viashino Heretic
3 Relic of Progenitus
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Chrome Mox
4 Simian Spirit Guide
10 Mountain

SB
2 Shattering Pulse
4 Trinisphere
2 Vexing Shusher
3 Pyroclasm
2 Chalice of the Void
1 Faerie Macabre
1 Relic of Progenitus

7th Place Michael Misiaszek
Main
4 Force of Will
4 Standstill
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Brainstorm
3 Fact or Fiction
3 Engineered Explosives
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Decree of Justice
2 Vindicate
2 Eternal Dragon
2 Spellsnare
2 Wrath of God
3 Counterspell
3 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
3 Wasteland
3 Mishra's Factory
3 Tundra
2 Underground Sea
1 Scrubland
1 Academy Ruins
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Swamp

SB
3 Meddling Mage
3 Runed Halo
3 Engineered Plague
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Ajani Goldmane
1 Humility

8th Place Chris Victor
Main
1 Polluted Delta
1 Plains
2 Tundra
1 Tropical Island
9 Island
2 Mutavault
4 Wasteland
1 Pendelhaven
1 Flooded Strand
4 Cursecatcher
2 Tide Shaper Mystic
4 Lord of Atlantis
1 Sygg, River Guide
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Merrow Reejerey
2 Cold-Eyed Selkie
4 Aether Vial
4 Force of Will
3 Stifle
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Cunning Wish
3 Daze

SB
1 Gaea's Blessing
2 Chill
3 Meddling Mage
1 Stifle
2 Swords to Plowshares
2 Propaganda
2 Echoing Truth
1 Orim's Chant
1 Abeyance

asdljas
01-26-2009, 02:38 PM

He managed to Top 8 because I did not ID with him. I suck at figuring out tie-breakers, and he beat me solidly. Does anyone know of a reference site where I can learn how to ID into the Top 8? I can never figure out the breakers.

Maybe he just picked it up to look at it and then realized I hadn't noticed and slipped it into his pocket or maybe he did right away intend to steal it. Maybe it's still possible that some random other person just snatched it off the table as they walked by. I really believe I know who stole it though and it's a bunch of bullshit that somebody would do that. How can you be part of something where it is hard enough to attract new players and then when you do get one you steal from him? It's not good for anybody involved and it's a shame for everybody who plays this game.

I was nearby when MikeyFlowers accused the Imperial Painter guy of stealing the card. I was trading with him (I think his name is Louis), and vigilant the entire time. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

I do not know Louis, so consider me impartial.
Your statement above is very clear: You do not know for a fact that he stole the card. It is more likely that a passerby stole the card than Louis, standing across from you.
I agree that theft is bad for the game of Magic. I would have said something immediately if I noticed anything happen.
I was vigilantly paying attention to Louis, because he had my trade binder in his hand.
He emptied his pockets and let you search him after you blatantly accused him. I would not have let you, with the belligerent attitude you exuded.
This guy would have to have had some balls to steal the card you were right in front of and watching the entire time.
You need to be more observant of where your cards are. You had them right in front of you.

rockout
01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I didn't misplace it and I didn't accuse "people" of stealing it. I accused one person of stealing it. The one person who I'm still more than 99% convinced did steal it.

I'm 100% certain that I had it with me when I showed up at the grid and I'm 100% certain that within moments of this person sitting down at the table across from me while I filled in my deck registration form it suddenly disappeared.

You didn't have the conversations I had with this person and you didn't see what I saw. It's easy to tell when somebody is lying to you and this kid certainly seemed to be lying to me.

This card was substantially valuable and worse yet was part of a matching set of four Pete Venters autographed cards. Not only am out a $50 card but the value of the remaining three is substantially diminished as they no longer are a set.

Did you notice the fat, rather tall for his age, blonde kid with braces that plays pokemon walk by in your match against Louis and touch the top of your deck? I didn't think you did. Best thing I can say to you is be careful.

MikeyFlowers
01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Did you notice the fat, rather tall for his age, blonde kid with braces that plays pokemon walk by in your match against Louis and touch the top of your deck? I didn't think you did. Best thing I can say to you is be careful.

No I didn't notice when that happened either. To suggest that I was being completely unreasonable is plain wrong though. Put yourself in my shoes.

This was the second time the card had even left my house. I brought it to Over The Edge on Wednesday and ended up not playing that deck and I brought it to The Grid on Saturday and somebody took it. I had just bought the card a week ago and paid $200 for the set of four. Not only am I out the $50 card, the value of the remaining three is diminished by a fair amount, the cost to replace the card with a regular unsigned version will be about $30 and I had to buy a pack of $10 sleeves to be able to play my deck with the replacement that Paul was nice enough to let me borrow. When it's all said and done really I lost over $100. Not to mention it was a pretty cool collector's item.

How would you feel if it were your card? You probably wouldn't be the least bit suspicious of the person who was most near by and well within arms reach when it went missing would you? You probably would have just taken his word for it when he simply could not with a straight face tell you he didn't take it wouldn't you?

I got to talk to Louis a fair amount over the course of the day and he really does seem like a good guy and I can see why he has so many friends amongst the regular players. But if you reversed the situation and it were Louis' card that had gone missing and I were the person nearest by when it happened would anybody be so ready to defend me? Would anybody think he was being unreasonable if he lost his cool over the situation? Probably not.

I never would have expected in a million years that there would be people at an event which is presumably only attended by the most avid fans of the game who would think its alright to just walk by and steal a card from somebody. The card isn't coming back and I think it's best if everyone just drops it. It's a reminder to everyone that you really do need to keep an eye on your stuff because there will always be some soulless prick who thinks his passing desire to snatch the card is worth more than the misery it causes for the person he stole from.

Rehallek
01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
This was the second time the card had even left my house. I brought it to Over The Edge on Wednesday and ended up not playing that deck and I brought it to The Grid on Saturday and somebody took it. I had just bought the card a week ago and paid $200 for the set of four. Not only am I out the $50 card, the value of the remaining three is diminished by a fair amount, the cost to replace the card with a regular unsigned version will be about $30 and I had to buy a pack of $10 sleeves to be able to play my deck with the replacement that Paul was nice enough to let me borrow. When it's all said and done really I lost over $100. Not to mention it was a pretty cool collector's item.

What kind of awful math is that? So after you lose a "$50" card you are somehow out "over $100"? That doesn't even begin to make sense.

And stop bringing up that he couldn't keep a straight face. I for one can keep a straight face much much easier if I am lying. I actually smile when I tell the truth.

On an unrelated topic: glad to see the Grid will be holding monthly events. Connecticut needed a legacy scene and it's only a 30 or so minute drive for me which is amazing.

MikeyFlowers
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
What kind of awful math is that? So after you lose a "$50" card you are somehow out "over $100"? That doesn't even begin to make sense.

It's pretty simple actually. $50 for the card which was stolen. $30 for a new one. $10 for the sleeves. And probably $10 each in lost value on the remaining three as now I would have to sell them separately instead of as a set (just like I explained in my first post).

That is $120... alles klar?

And I don't know why you're spouting off nonsense online that I'm certain you wouldn't say to me in person. If you do want to discuss it though feel free to bring it up next time you see me at an event and we can talk about it face to face.

TrialByFire
01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Ben would have broken the curse, EXCEPT he broke it at Hadley when he scrubbed like a NOOB. You would hae known if you were there Rodney. Afraid of a little snow are we?

Oh BURN!

Yea thats right. Just playing with you bro.

J.V.
01-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Ben would have broken the curse, EXCEPT he broke it at Hadley when he scrubbed like a NOOB. You would hae known if you were there Rodney. Afraid of a little snow are we?

Oh BURN!

Yea thats right. Just playing with you bro.A burn about snow, ironic.

rockout
01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I know for a fact that I wouldn't have a card stolen because my deck is sleeved and ready to go before I even leave my house for the tournament and I don't make changes once I get there unless I see 10 people playing mono-red burn. It's a good way to keep track of your cards and know what you have. I can personally vouche for Louis and I'm sure a bunch of people could vouche for me just because I see the same people at every tournament I go to. There's a certain level of respect we all have for each other and if you stick around in the legacy scene, you will begin to feel that.

Rehallek
01-27-2009, 01:42 AM
And I don't know why you're spouting off nonsense online that I'm certain you wouldn't say to me in person. If you do want to discuss it though feel free to bring it up next time you see me at an event and we can talk about it face to face.

Actually I made it quite clear how I felt right at the tournament and said pretty much what I said before right to you. I was right there when you started whining to his gf on how "he stole your card".

Also your math still makes no sense. Besides overvaluing your Dreadnought I don't see how losing one sleeve you lose the entire $10. That gets you 100 sleeves you have 60 cards in your deck and 15 sideboard. 60 plus 15 equals 100 right? .. oh wait no it doesn't. Maybe you should learn to keep a closer eye on your cards. I'd feel bad that you lost a Dreadnought, but you lost all sympathy when you started on a rant on how Louis stole your Dreadnought.

MikeyFlowers
01-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Actually I made it quite clear how I felt right at the tournament and said pretty much what I said before right to you.

Maybe you should learn to keep a closer eye on your cards.

So does that make you the one saying "there are RULES against this sort of thing" or the one saying "he didn't do it, he WOULDN'T do it!"

Again, flip the situation around. Had it been the exact same scenario only it was one of Louis' Imperial Recruiters (six out of the seven which sold this month on ebay went for between $89 and $105 with one selling for $120) which had gone missing you know damn well he would have been absolutely bullshit about the situation and I would have been the number one suspect. I don't know why it's so hard for you to realize that put in the same situation he, you, or anybody else would have reacted about the same way.

And about your "maybe you should learn to keep a closer eye on your cards" comment, that's just a real dickhead statement. Is that the kind of community you really want to play in? If you take your eyes off your cards (while still remaining right there next to them, it's not like I just walked away from my deck) for literally seconds one of them disappears? You act like you think it's to be expected that cards will be stolen. This was the second large event I've ever played in. How could I have known ahead of time to assume the community at large is a bunch of dicks who regularly cheat and steal from each other as you seem to imagine it is.

And I had to re-sleeve the entire deck. I didn't have a matching sleeve to replace the one which had gone missing. I suppose I could have just swapped out a sideboard card sleeve and shared one sleeve between two cards but as you are such a fan of pointing out, aren't there rules about that sort of thing? Aren't all your cards supposed to be sleeved and matching if you are playing with sleeves? If that's not the case then I would have really appreciated a heads up from the store owner before I dropped $10 on product I didn't need.

Like I said, just let it drop, arguing online isn't going to get anybody anywhere. If you still feel sore about it next time you see me in person go ahead and confront me about it. I'd love to discuss it with you.

Rehallek
01-27-2009, 02:43 AM
I was the guy standing next to the guy with the large hair and the computer.

And now you are undervaluing Imperial Recruiters with your bad, bad math.Those were actually my Imperial Recruiters that I was letting Louis borrow. I know he doesn't steal. And if one had disappeared I highly doubt Louis would have blamed someone who had a binder in his hand and was trading with some one else at the time. And he definitely wouldn't have gone up to said person's gf and harassed her.

And like I said you lost all sympathy for losing your Dreadnought when you decided to go about your witch hunt in the way you did. You saw the closest person and passed the blame off on him.

How could I have known ahead of time to assume the community at large is a bunch of dicks who regularly cheat and steal from each other as you seem to imagine it is.

I'm all for getting more people to play legacy, but if you're going to call the legacy community a bunch of cheating, card stealing dicks.. maybe you shouldn't play.

I will let it drop for now, but seriously dude learn to handle yourself better in public.

demoncrovax
01-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Again, flip the situation around. Had it been the exact same scenario only it was one of Louis' Imperial Recruiters ...which had gone missing you know damn well he would have been absolutely bullshit about the situation and I would have been the number one suspect. .

And about your "maybe you should learn to keep a closer eye on your cards" comment, that's just a real dickhead statement. Is that the kind of community you really want to play in? .... This was the second large event I've ever played in. How could I have known ahead of time to assume the community at large is a bunch of dicks who regularly cheat and steal from each other as you seem to imagine it is.

And I had to re-sleeve the entire deck. I didn't have a matching sleeve to replace the one which had gone missing. I suppose I could have just swapped out a sideboard card sleeve and shared one sleeve between two cards but as you are such a fan of pointing out, aren't there rules about that sort of thing? Aren't all your cards supposed to be sleeved and matching if you are playing with sleeves? If that's not the case then I would have really appreciated a heads up from the store owner before I dropped $10 on product I didn't need.

I have a few points to add:

If it was an Imperial Recruiter that went missing why would you have been the number one suspect? Your location in the room the time the card went missing or that you’re ‘the new guy’?

Did you leave your car unlocked outside while playing inside? Why did you lock it? It human nature (Not the nature of the card game) that people steal things. Any time you’re in public you should be watching your stuff. Rehallek wasn't being a DickHead. He was talking common sense.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not siding with Louis here. Louis was willing to try and prove the best he can that he didn’t take your card. I know that it sucks getting stuff stolen but you’re standing there and arguing around in circles about it is only going to make things worse. Your best course of action would have been to talk to the store owner about it, and then maybe the police.

Lastly only the cards in the deck needs to have the same sleeves. Many players have sideboards that are not sleeved at all. As long as the cards are all the same when in the deck, it’s ok. You can even have your sideboard in completely different sleeves. That’s fine too as long as those sleeves are changed when putting those cards in the deck. This policy is implied in the DCI Penalty Guide section on marked cards (The section only cares about the main deck).

If you have any question about DCI policy please feel free to PM me.