PDA

View Full Version : [Announcement] Cryptic ConFusion: LEGACY. Sat. Jan 24th, 2008. Plus FNM, EDH, more

umbowta
12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Where:
Detroit-Troy Marriott
200 W. Big Beaver Rd.
Troy, Michigan 48084 USA
Phone: 1-248-680-9797
Toll-free: 1-877-757-7131

When:January 23-25th, 2009

What: Cryptic Confusion Sci-Fi Convention: FNM, Legacy Duel For Donations(see list below), Dead Dog Peasant Magic, and Elder Dragon Highlander.

Convention membership badges for the weekend are curently $25 for students and $35 for non students. This goes up to $35 and $45, respectively, after December 31st. Register here http://stilyagi.org/cons/2009/registration.html or at the door. A one day membership badge is also available at the door for $20. Food and drinks (YES that means BEER and WINE) are included in the price of the badges.

Lodging/Hotel: 350 rooms available at the Troy Marriott. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dtttt-detroit-marriott-troy/ Standard Hotel Rooms are $89/night for the ConFusion group rate (do ask for it!). If you have particular preferences regarding being on a quiet or party floor, please indicate that when making your reservation.
You can use the hotel's online system to reserve your room. To get the con rate, put in the dates you need and be sure to use ConFusion's group code "csncsna".
more info http://www.stilyagi.org/cons/2009/hotel.html

The Magic Schedule(more may be added)
Friday, January 23:
1. Cryptic Confusion FNM (Thanks to Brandon at Pandemonium)
Signup begins at 5pm.
Event begins at 7pm.
Format: Standard. Sanctioned.
Judges: Level 2 David Rappaport, Level 1 Brandon Petitpren
Entry: $5
Prizes: Guaranteed and subject to increase dependent upon attendance.
First Place - Booster Box of Shards of Alara
Second Place - Half Booster Box of Shards of Alara
Third and Fourth Place - Quarter Booster Box of Shards of Alara
Fifth Through Eighth - Draft Set (3 Booster Packs) of Shards of Alara

2. Cryptic Confusion 8 player Booster Drafts
Judges: Level 2 David Rappaport, Level 1 Brandon Petitpren
Entry: $15
Prize Payout: First place gets 8 packs, Second place gets 4 packs

3. Elder Dragon Highlander
Sign up: Whenever your in the game room…or try to jump in on one that’s about to start.
Casual Play begins at 9pm, 11pm, 1am, 3am, 5am, 7am.
Judges: Not sanctioned, i.e., the judges will probably be playing EDH with you

Saturday, January 24:
1. Cryptic Confusion Legacy Duel for Donations

Prizes: Donations still Needed. The goal is to prize all the way down into the top 16. I’ll keep a list of current donations in the next post below.
Signup: 10am.
Event Begins: 12:00 noon.
Head Judge: Level 2 David Rappaport.
Entry fee: $5(this is just to pay the Judges/related costs since prizes are donation based)

2. Cryptic Confusion Booster Drafts
Judge: Level 2 David Rappaport, Level 1 Brandon Petitpren
Entry: $15
Prize Payout: First place gets 8 packs, Second place gets 4 packs

3. Elder Dragon Highlander
Sign up: Whenever your in the game room…or try to jump in on one that’s about to start.
Casual Play begins at 9pm, 11pm, 1am, 3am, 5am, 7am.
Judges: Not sanctioned, i.e., the judges will probably be playing EDH with you.

Sunday, January 25:
Cryptic Confusion Dead Dog Peasant Magic. Yes that’s right, I said Peasant Magic. For those of you who are new to Peasant Magic…go here http://www.geocities.com/peasantmagic/ then click on Rules.
Start Time: 11am
Entry Fee: FREE.
Swiss rounds based on attendance with cut to top 4.
Prizes: a minimum of $100 worth of MtG cards/product will be split by the top finishers.

Crytic Confusion Details:
"ConFusion" is returning once again to the beautiful Detroit-Troy Marriott. This year, I decided to volunteer to up the gaming awesomeness by coordinating events staff, local dealers, and prize support for 3 days of Magic the Gathering with the main event taking place on Saturday, January 24th, 2009 being a Legacy Duel for Donations.

ConFusion is a science fiction literature convention that has been taking place annually for 35 years now. Expected attendance this year is 800! 24 hour Gaming, Anime, room parties, and even a roving pirate ship equipped with chrismas lights, stereo system and operational cannons…did I mention this thing doubles as bar that takes their party all over the hotel?

This is a totally grass roots set of MtG events running off of the energy of volunteers and donations. Donations of any kind, Legacy staples, duals, foils, altered art, etc. are needed. I don't care if all you can spare is a Rod of Spanking...we need those too! Everything we get will be given away as prizes. Please post with whatever comments, suggestions, and donations you might have.

umbowta
12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Stuff we have so far for the Duel for Donations

1 Underground Sea (Revised, NM)
1 Berserk (Unlimited, Played)
1 Force of Will (NM)
1 Judge Foil Meddling Mage (NM/M)
1 Phrexian Dreadnought (NM)
1 Countryside Crusher (EX)
1 Textless Foil Wrath of God (Mint)
1 Foil Naturalize, 10th (NM/M)
1 Foil Reya Dawnbringer, 10th (NM/M)
1 Foil Memory Lapse, 6th (NM/M)
2x DCI Foil Sprouting Thrinax (NM/M)
4x DCI Foil Wooly Thoctar (NM/M)
3x FNM Foil Pendelhaven (NM/M)
1 DCI Foil Reckless Wurm (NM/M)
1 Release Foil Figure of Destiny (NM/M)

If you have already pledged a donation that is not posted above, fear not, I will add it to the list when it is in hand.

umbowta
01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Just added some more stuff to the donations list so I thought the thread might deserve an up post. Thanks to everyone who has been willing to donate. Players and stores like you make me glad I play the game.

And to my wife, who could very well be reading this, thanks for putting up with me spending so much time making this happen.

wally2069
01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I will also be going. I encourage as many players to come. The convention will have fun and food and drinks. I am a friend and irratant to the OP who is putting much of his hard work into having a Magic event at this convention.

I highly recommend the Peasant and Elder Dragon Highlander formats for casual players. About five or six players are coming from my group to play cards on friday night. I will be there both friday and saturday although I will not be in the game room for the whole convention.

umbowta
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Congratulations Wally, you're the first one to figure out how to delete a couple charaters off the title in order to reply. You get the prize for defeating stupid title length restrictions.

luckymartyr
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
If everything works out with my work schedule I should be there Saturday. I am looking forward to playing in a sanctioned legacy event and prepping for the gp.

wally2069
01-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Congratulations Wally, you're the first one to figure out how to delete a couple charaters off the title in order to reply. You get the prize for defeating stupid title length restrictions.

What is my prize and can I come by Wednesday to claim it?

umbowta
01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
What is my prize and can I come by Wednesday to claim it?

Well. You can take the fish, or, you can go for whats in the box.

wally2069
01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
"A boat is a boat Loius, but a box could be anything. It could even be a boat!"
"Then why don't you just take the ..."
"I'll take the box."

luckymartyr
01-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I want to thank the organizers of this event and all the players who came out to play today. I had a lot of fun and got to meet some very interesting people. I hope to see everyone at the next local legacy event.

Kilz88
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Results of the legacy event?

luckymartyr
01-28-2009, 07:11 PM
There were 8 players in the event which allolwed the judge to sanction it. Most players played casual decks one of which was pauper featuring wild mongrels, burn spells and ftks. We played 4 rounds no cut to top anything and swiss standings determined your finishing place. I was 1st and won a beserk and a foil textless wrath of god with aggro loam. Dan murphy was 2d with zoo (RWg) but declined to take the allotted 2nd pick of prizes because he organized the event. The RG pauper deck placed 3rd and won a revised underground sea. There was a dreadstill player that came in 4th and won a judge foil meddling mage. Other prizes included a force of will and a bunch of foil promos including figure of destiny. Not bad for pretty much just showing up and having fun.

Wish more people showed up but it was still a fun experience and not just because I won. My last round opponnent was playing a br deck with hymns, hyppies, bolts, dark rits, and the rack. It was unsleaved and he had to look at the banned list to convert his deck to legacy which meant removing his power from it and replacing moxen and black lotus with basic lands. It was actually pretty competitive and he managed to beat the dreadstill guy with it. He probably would have beaten me if I had been playing any other deck that didnt involve life from the loam and chalice of he void.:smile:

umbowta
01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Dan murphy was 2d with zoo (RWg) but declined to take the allotted 2nd pick of prizes because he organized the event.
Dave Rappaport was the Tournament Organizer and Judge. I was just the guy doing all the legwork to get donations and such. Either way, I felt passing on the 2nd pick and taking the 8th was the right thing to do.

Wish more people showed up but it was still a fun experience and not just because I won. My last round opponnent was playing a br deck with hymns, hyppies, bolts, dark rits, and the rack. It was unsleaved and he had to look at the banned list to convert his deck to legacy which meant removing his power from it and replacing moxen and black lotus with basic lands. It was actually pretty competitive and he managed to beat the dreadstill guy with it. He probably would have beaten me if I had been playing any other deck that didnt involve life from the loam and chalice of he void.:smile: I couldn't have said it better myself. Shark was awesome just for raw doggin his power. Before the tourney I told him I'd give him cards to replace all the moxes and Lotus with but he declined. According to the Judge, Shark has been playing since the days of Riders Hobbies sticking us in the old Radio Controlled car track warehouse. I used to race there, which lead directly to playing Magic, but I don't remember seeing Shark around.