PDA

View Full Version : [Report] 3rd Place at Winter Wonderland - The Paired Down Story

Bryant Cook
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
http://theepicstorm.com/play-the-game-winter-wonderland-01-04-2009-3rd-place

J.V.
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Gratz on the finish Bryant, good show.

goobafish
01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Slops:
Canada
Dave Caplan for being awful at Magic. READ YOUR CARDS.

Yeah that was awful. I was playing it right all day, just blanked from lack of sleep. Didn't matter through. If I had done it during his turn I would have lost.

And Canada owns.

Congrats on your top 8, maybe next time you won't get knocked out by a Canadian again.

Citrus-God
01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I see you're running a Duress in the SB again? I take it that thanks to Mystical Tutor, you can actually afford wasting a Tutor on a protection spell?

Btw, why Wipe Away over, say Krosan Grip? Wipe Away has UU in it's cost, whereas with Grip, it has G.

Bryant Cook
01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Wipeaway can bounce a land to get out of your hand for Infernal Tutor. Not to mention UU never matters, we play Cinq lands.

Citrus-God
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Wipeaway can bounce a land to get out of your hand for Infernal Tutor. Not to mention UU never matters, we play Cinq lands.

Makes sense.

GreenOne
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Grats on the finish. It's always a pleasure to read combo reports, they're arguably the most enjoyables.
About the report:

Game Two: I keep a hand of..Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Mystical, LED, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Orim's Chant. He plays Island, go. I play Gemstone, Brainstorm. He dazes. Then wastes my Gemstone. I never see another land/manasource in 10 turns.

Why did you keep this hand without a land? Is there a typo?

Bryant Cook
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Grats on the finish. It's always a pleasure to read combo reports, they're arguably the most enjoyables.
About the report:

Why did you keep this hand without a land? Is there a typo?

One of the Brainstorms is a Gemstone Mine. Sorry about that.

Michael Keller
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice work, Bryant.

I might be able to scrounge up an "out-of-bounds" chit to leave for Chicago in March and play some serious Magical cards once again. I hope I get the chance to massacre your dreams one more time.

Whit3 Ghost
01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry already.

You won, get the fuck over it.

Grats on the finish.

Joe_C
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Game Two: I keep a hand with the possibility of a turn 2 win with Mystical... Mystical, Brainstorm, Petal, LED, Dark Ritual, Duress, LED. He plays turn one thoughtsieze, takes Petal. "Doesn't matter, I have a land on top of the deck". Draw for turn, GEMSTONE MINE. I play out the LED's. Pass, he plays Goyf, I mystical for Ad Nauseum. Win.

this may be a dumb rules question, but can you mystical during your upkeep and crack LED's and have mana during your draw step? I thought mana pools drained between upkeep/draw

Jaynel
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Nope, they empty at the end of your draw step, before your precombat main phase.

rsaunder
01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Grats on the finish! Your deck was running so smooth, I'da been surprised if you missed the T8.

Bryant Cook
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Grats on the finish! Your deck was running so smooth, I'da been surprised if you missed the T8.

Thanks. I rarely mulliganed all day, I think I may have like twice. I didn't mind winning 20 bucks from you either.

Joe_C
01-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Game Two: I open Duress, LED, LED, Gemstone Mine, Brainstorm, Infernal, and Burning Wish. I lead with a Duress, I take Survival and see a Meddling Mage (No chant?). I draw a Mox turn two, Imprint Brainstorm, LED, LED, Burning Wish, IGG, LED, LED, Tutor, IGG, LED, LED, Tutor, Tendrils.

Is there an error in this? IGG couldnt be played twice

Jaiminho
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Is there an error in this? IGG couldnt be played twice

It can when they are different cards. He Wished for one, then tutored for another.

Joe_C
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
It can when they are different cards. He Wished for one, then tutored for another.

totally missed the word infernal in that line, my bad

deviant
01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Great report, congrats on the finish and holy shit that deck must love you as much as you love it.

EDIT: maybe I should consider foiling it too?