PDA

View Full Version : MEANDECK OPEN -- SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2009 (Legacy!)

Smmenen
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: MEANDECK OPEN – LEGACY TOURNAMENT
Sunday, FEBRUARY 15, 2009 – Columbus, Ohio

With Grand Prix Chicago around the corner, this is one of your final opportunities to test your mettle in battle!

WHAT: LEGACY! Tournament

Swiss + Top 8.

Entry is $15

Note: This tournament will NOT be sanctioned so that players can play with proxies to try out decks they may not want to invest in for the actual Grand Prix.

*** 20 Proxy Limit ***

PRIZES:

CASH!!!
1st Place: 50% of Prize Pool
2nd Place: 25% of Prize Pool
3rd Place: 12.5% of Prize Pool
4th Place: 12.5% of Prize Pool

Prize Pool based on attendance.
At the last tournament, we gave away over $600 in cash as well as door prizes!
Minimum $200 guaranteed!

Also door prizes will be awarded throughout the tournament! If you have suggestions or requests, PM me with that information and we’ll see what we can do!

WHEN: Sunday, February 15, 2009

The store opens at 11:30 AM. Registration starts at 12:30. Registration will close and the tournament begins at 1PM sharp.

WHERE:

The Soldiery
4256 N. High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43214

ALSO!

We were truly blown away by the tremendous support and enthusiasm for Legacy in the Ohio Valley. We expected about 30-40 players, not 54! Players from all over the state, Michigan, and Pennsylvania made the trip.

The Top 8 and a complete metagame breakdown is available here:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12319

These tournaments are for YOU. We want to make them as fun as we possibly can. That means that we want your feedback on how we can make them better.

Before the last tournament, many of you suggested that we extend prizes to the full top 8. We decided to just award prizes to the top 4 because we did not expect that many players to attend. Given the level of attendance, we all regret not having a plan to distribute prizes to the entire top 8.

I have been asked to solicit suggestions on how we might do better this time.

Here are several ideas:

* Reduce the top 4 prizes to ensure that 5th-8th gets their entry fee back.
* Give 5th-8th double their entry fee and then apply the percentages (50/25/12.5/12.5) to remaining for top 4.
* Extend prizes to 5th-8th if we reach a threshold number of players (say, more than 35).

Also, we tried to set up a side event so that players who had dropped from the main event would have something else to do, but no one was interested. Do you have any suggestions for side events?

DEFINITELY, however, we will be having a Peasant Highlander side event. Signups will begin immediately after round two, and the tournament will begin shortly after round 4 begins. Entry will be no more than $5, but is yet to be determined.

Peasant Highlander rules: http://www.peasanthighlander.com/Rules.html

Do not miss this! Bring your friends, bring your cousins, bring your siblings! We proved the skeptics wrong! If you are a Midwesterner, you can NOT miss this event!

Hope you can make it!

Stephen Menendian

CroSS.24
01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Here's and idea for top 8 prize and if you pay $600 out again the payouts too

1: 50% $300
2: 20% $120
3: 10% $60
4: 10% $60
5: 2.5% $15
6: 2.5% $15
7: 2.5% $15
8: 2.5% $15

i've done this breakdown alot for a top 8 payout and it seems to work out good

Also the day after valentines day is probably a bad idea, but hey i'll be there my wife wont care and if she does, i dont care :smile:

Jedi Knight
01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
I was at the last MEAN DECK OPEN, and I suggest that 5th through 8th should get some sort of card say duals,fetches,FOW,Berserk,moat ect...obviously according to their final stangings.
and by the way whats up with the high prices on those cards at the shop your holding the eevent at? I mean 17$ for a wasteland.90$ for an english very played moat! I brought money to buy some key cards I was looking for, but didn't buy any because of the extreme prices.Great selection+High prices=Low sales.:tongue:

Smmenen
01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's and idea for top 8 prize and if you pay $600 out again the payouts too

1: 50% $300
2: 20% $120
3: 10% $60
4: 10% $60
5: 2.5% $15
6: 2.5% $15
7: 2.5% $15
8: 2.5% $15

i've done this breakdown alot for a top 8 payout and it seems to work out good

Also the day after valentines day is probably a bad idea, but hey i'll be there my wife wont care and if she does, i dont care :smile:

That prize pay out looks reasonable and well balanced. Does everyone else agree?

Doug also suggested getting first and second a little bit closer so people feel like they could play it out without losing $140 if they lose. Something like, 40%, 30%, which gives us another 5% to distribute somewhere else.

Thoughts?

Also, I think we need to have plans in case we only have 30 or so players versus backup plans if we hit 55 again.

I was at the last MEAN DECK OPEN, and I suggest that 5th through 8th should get some sort of card say duals,fetches,FOW,Berserk,moat ect...obviously according to their final stangings.
and by the way whats up with the high prices on those cards at the shop your holding the eevent at? I mean 17$ for a wasteland.90$ for an english very played moat! I brought money to buy some key cards I was looking for, but didn't buy any because of the extreme prices.Great selection+High prices=Low sales.:tongue:

Unfortunately, our host store is not competitive in the singles market. He prices at Scrye medium (I think) for every card. If we were to have singles awarded at 5th-8th it would not be very cost-effective. I mean, would you rather have $15 or a Wasteland if you got 8th place?

Also, Patrick Chapin has told me that he will try to make this tournament, and he'll be bringing Swiss Pro Manuel Bucher with him. I'll post more details as they become available to me.

yawg07
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah when I heard my friend joke "Man I hope i win the tournament, then maybe I can buy a single!" I took a look.
Jesus. REALLY high. lol the huge stack of $1 Fireballs killed me.

hi-val
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
On the other hand, he does have like, all the random-ass uncommons you want. So if you want something like Tracker or Radiant's Dragoons of Scalebane's Elite, then you can probably find them. I'll agree that the singles are not priced well at ALL. That said, we do get to use the place for free, a large %age of entry goes to prizes and things are run efficiently. Kinda wish he'd do like a "30% off all singles the day of the event" thing though...

I'd want to work it out so 5th-8th get between their entry fee and entry fee x2 back, so you don't slog through 7 rounds of playing to get like, $8.

Smmenen
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I am in favor of giving 5th-8th prizes, but it might not make sense if we only have like 25 players show up.

I am trying to facilitate what makes the most sense and makes everyone happiest. If you attended the previous meandeck open, PLEASE share your thoughts, concerns, opinions. If you plan on attending this one, do the same as well.

I realize the Soldiery's single's prices are a bit steep, but Doug makes a good point about commons and uncommons.

Smmenen
01-25-2009, 07:18 PM
It was nice to see some of the same faces this weekend at RIW. I am hoping that we can make this event as much fun as we had in RIW and at the first meandeck open. But we need more feedback to make sure that we are doing everything right! Please, let me know what you think!

Smmenen
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
After getting quite a bit of feedback, we settled on the following prize distribution:

1st - 40%, 2nd - 20%, 3rd/4th - 10% each, 5th-8th - 5% each

This is going to be the biggest tournament of the Midwest before GP Chicago! We hope to see every single player who attended the first one. This is going to be one of the best opportunities to test your deck and your mettle against the best players in the region.

Speaking on behalf of my team, we can only promise you one thing: you will have more fun than you could have doing just about anything else a week from Sunday. There are few other places that can boast the experience of providing a fun, friendly, and welcoming atmosphere for a great tournament competition.

* Will the Rittman, Ohio crew repeat their performance of putting two players in the top 4?
* Do the Cleveland players stand a chance against the Pittsburgh crew? (Steelers v. Browns!)
* Will Mark Trogdon continue his streak of top 8ing with rogue blue decks?
* Will the "Joes" beat the "Pros" again?
* Will anyone be able to finish a Thurman burger?

All these questions and more will be answered!

Again, if you missed the last tournament, top 8 and metagame breakdown is available here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12319

We hope to see you there!

Arkham
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Will the Rittman, Ohio crew repeat their performance of putting two players in the top 4?

Let me fix that for you because those of us from the area your talking about are getting sick of hearing it;

"Will the Wadsworth, Ohio crew repeat their performance of putting two players in the top 4?"

The only person actually from Rittman is Yawg07 and he doesn't even live there anymore. =P

yawg07
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
ROFL!!! Heel boy! Down! XD
lol we aren't asses, we just thought it was funny

I live in Orrville currently, but am moving back to Rittman soon.
Most of the rest are Wadsworth/Akron area :)
And we'll be back, don't you worry! >:3

dahcmai
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Damn, it would have to be right after Valentine's Day. My wife would kill me if I left on that day to go to Ohio to play the next day. It's not like I'd be able to leave that night either.

Ah well, hopefully I'll get to meet you in Chicago. I'll be looking Pat up since I haven't seen him in person in a while.

Kuma
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
"Will the Akron, Ohio crew repeat their performance of putting two players in the top 4?"

Fixed that for you. :tongue:

I'm looking forward to the tourney, and I'll definitely be there. Here's hoping that most of the crew can make it.

Smmenen
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Whoa! My apologies! Excuse me! Someone (I think Yawg) said that a big crew came down from Rittman, and no one corrected him earlier.

From now on I'll call you the Akron crew, alright?

landstill101
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Whoa! My apologies! Excuse me! Someone (I think Yawg) said that a big crew came down from Rittman, and no one corrected him earlier.

From now on I'll call you the Akron crew, alright?

Call us the Wadsworth crew because the shop that we all meet to play is in Wadsworth.........

EDIT: And it looks like we might be bringing a couple more than last time...

CroSS.24
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
forget the akron crew call us "The CREW" :cool:

yawg07
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
We seriously need to form a team and get a name, you guys XD
Ah well, hopefully we'll all make it again!

sauce
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Whoa!

Hey Menendian, in your article on SCG it says you suggested the 4c CBGoyf on 2009-02-08.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/17048_So_Many_Insane_Plays_Taking_It_To_The_Top_In_Legacy_Top_4_Split.html

Are you writing from a DeLorean??

KrzyMoose
02-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I may make this.

However, my only possible ride is Demars, who is unsure if he's going.

So, if you can convince him to go, I'll probably there.

Smmenen
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Menendian, in your article on SCG it says you suggested the 4c CBGoyf on 2009-02-08.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/17048_So_Many_Insane_Plays_Taking_It_To_The_Top_In_Legacy_Top_4_Split.html

Are you writing from a DeLorean??

Actually, I projected myself forward on the hypersphere. It's my only convenient means of time travel.

Only one week until this event!!! I'm SO Excited!

Can't wait to see the AKRON Crew again ;)

kingpete
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Steve, how should we do proxies? Sharpy on basic lands?

Smmenen
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Steve, how should we do proxies? Sharpy on basic lands?

Follow the SCG guidelines:

http://forums.starcitygames.com/viewtopic.php?t=291560

All proxies must have the following text neatly printed, using a extra fine point sharpie. Ball point pens may not be used:
• The full name of the card (no abbreviations or nicknames)
• Correct casting cost of the card including all colored mana symbols
• All relevant/game effecting text

When choosing what card to use as the base for an erased proxy players must follow these rules:
• The mana cost of the base spell must be the same as the card being proxied.
• The type of the card being proxied must be the same as the base card.
• The P/T of a creature being proxied must be the same as the base creature P/T
• When proxying a creature it may be difficult to find a creature where all characteristics match. In this case, mana cost is the most important, followed by the P/T, followed by the subtype. Any characteristics that do not match must be erased and corrected.
• The art box, card name, and text box must be totally erased. White out may not be used for this as it affects the stiffness of the card and may mark it.
• When adding text to the card do not use a ball point pen. A extra fine point sharpie is the best thing to use. A ball point pen can cause indentations on the card marking it.
• For clarity reasons, the use of cards with the new card frame is strongly encouraged

Examples:
• Welding Jar or Spellbook can be used for a Mox or Black Lotus
• Disarm could be used for an Ancestral Recall
• Train of Thought for a Time Walk
• Counsel of the Soratami for a Timetwister.

How to Erase a Card:
Acetone and a cotton ball or q-tip works well, as does a pencil/ink eraser (the white/grey split type) using the grey side. Before erasing the card, take masking tape and tape off all the areas that you don't want erased for a clean edge. It will take time, but it will come off.

kingpete
02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks, i just need to proxy a few duals most likely. Any suggestions? I need to do underground sea, tropical island, tundra, and volcanic island. i was just going to use Islands, write the name, and draw a sweet symbol next to each one, depending on what it is. Looking forward to playing you on sunday, or at least meeting you! Im going to try and get some others from dayton to come up with me.

Arsenal
02-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I didn't know the art box needed to be completely erased too; I've only been erasing the card name box and text box.

St. Brian the Venerable
02-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Since the lives of Saints are virtually flawless, the idea of 'time traveling' seems pointless and closely bound to the conventional human weakness of greed, and therefore boring to me. I will be waiting for the weekend and driving there in real time like the rest of the mortals who plan on attending the event.

My attendence at this event is strictly academic. My lord has instructed me to teach all of your tarmogoyfs the wonders of agriculture. See you all there and peace be with you.

Brizentine Empire
02-11-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm going to try to make this tournament too, depending on a ride. I'll be a part of "Team Medina." Lol. AKA Team Wadsworth/Akron/Rittman, since they're all pretty close.

yawg07
02-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Odd, last tourney, people erased nothing and just wrote on random cards (mostly land, but lots of others) hahaha

Arsenal
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
I still don't understand, according SCG proxy rules, the art box must be fully erased too? I've always tried to proxy cards that have relevant art for the card I'm proxying (like Time Walk = Walk the Aeons, Mana Drain = Blinkmoth Infusion, etc). I erase the card text and the card name, sharpie those boxes, but leave the artwork intact. Am I not allowed to do this any further?

Smmenen
02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm going to try to make this tournament too, depending on a ride. I'll be a part of "Team Medina." Lol. AKA Team Wadsworth/Akron/Rittman, since they're all pretty close.

That's fine too. So long as the card is legible, I think we are all happy.

The SCG Proxying suggestions are highly recommended guidelines. Click the SCG link to see images. The links got lost in the cut and paste.

This event is going to be so sick!

OneBigSquirrelGod
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Can't wait to see the AKRON Crew again ;)

Oh don't worry Steve, We can't wait to to see you either.

I thkn there is about 11 of us going tomorrow? Considering there was about 8-9 of us who top 16'd last time, I think this tournament will be very interesting!

Smmenen
02-15-2009, 03:55 AM
oh my god, this tournament is going to be amazing. We'll see y'all tomorrow!

Smmenen
02-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks to everyone who came out! 36 players had a blast tonight, and a few of you had a blast at Thurman's tonight (none of you could actually handle the Thurmator).

This tournament was ALOT of fun, and I think everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. The best part is that despite the in-state rivalry, the Akron crew and the folks from Columbus get along really well. Great guys all around.

Unfortunately, the decklists have been temporarily misplaced, but we will find them and post them. I will let you know when we do. In the meantime, if you made top 8 (or not), it would be fun to hear your report!

yawg07
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Our crew had a lot of fun, I love these meandeck proxy-legacy events.
I think you guys have opened the door for others, because I'm noticing some more proxy events popping up.

Props:
Every time I got to tentacle rape someone. (my new tendrils alteration)
Vince for being the craziest, funniest person I know
Meandeck guys for hosting
Dude playing Enchantress with like 3-4 MD Choke and 3-4 MD City of Solitude, AMAZING meta call
Seth for selling me a NM Japanese Tolarian Academy for $20
Harrison! I mean, how can you NOT give props to him, right?
Mongolian Barbeque for staying open like an hour past closing for us! WOOOO

Slops:
There being 19 less people than last time >:O
Eric for attacking me for 22 with Rafiq right after I Gifts Ungiven in our EDH game (I had it coming, he was my Sundering Titan bitch last time XD)
People playing ANT over TES, I mean ... what the fuck you guys?

Not too many slops, really. I had a blast. :D

Zach Tartell
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
So... do we even have a top eight?

yawg07
02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Top 4 Split it ...

White Weenie
Enchantress
ITF
Countersliver?

The rest of the Top 8 ...

Aggro Loam
Team America
Merfolk
________ (just cant remember the last deck)

kingpete
02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks to everyone who came out! 36 players had a blast tonight, and a few of you had a blast at Thurman's tonight (none of you could actually handle the Thurmator).

This tournament was ALOT of fun, and I think everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. The best part is that despite the in-state rivalry, the Akron crew and the folks from Columbus get along really well. Great guys all around.

Unfortunately, the decklists have been temporarily misplaced, but we will find them and post them. I will let you know when we do. In the meantime, if you made top 8 (or not), it would be fun to hear your report!

I tried steve... But those burgers... theyre just so BIG!!!! Thanks for recomending that place, definently the best part of the trip up from dayton for me.

landstill101
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
To go off memory until Smmenen gets the decklists, here are the decks:

TOP 8:
Merfolk(Wadsworth Crew) vs White Weenie(Wadsworth Crew)
White Weenie

slivers Vs ITF
Slivers won

ITF Vs Aggro Loam(Wadsworth Crew)
ITF won

Team America(Wadsworth Crew) Vs Enchantress(maindeck choke)
Enchantress won

They split top 4 to get a pay out of 81$

Here are the totals off memory:
5 ITF
2-3 Team america
1 Tes
2-3 ANT
2 GWR enchantress
1 enchantress with blue
1 aggro loam
1 merfolk
1 white weenie
1 slivers
3-4 4c threshold
1 kavu life gain thingy
1 4c landstill
1 UW(I think) landstill

as for the people I left out sorry.

I played ITF and went 3-2-1(I'm Wadsworth Crew too yay.)
Beating the ITF player in top 4, Beating the white weenie player in top 4, tieing 0-0-1 with the ITF player in top 8, Lost to the main deck choke enchantress. Beat a Team America, and lost to the aggro loam list in top 8.

I will definitely say, I didn't have any easy match ups that night. Was quite rough for me.

Smmenen
02-16-2009, 10:56 PM
If you made top 8, feel free to go ahead and post your decklist while we try to find them.

@ Landstill101, thanks for the top 8 breakdown and the metagame report, and the top 8 archetype breakdown.

This was a pretty competitive event!

I went 3-1-2, losing to Mike Bennett with Counterslivers (who made top 4) in a very close match. Although this was my first Legacy tournament in two years that i hadn't finished in the money, I still had a blast. And, as usual, i had one match loss.

frogboy
02-16-2009, 11:01 PM
If you made top 8, feel free to go ahead and post your decklist while we try to find them.

@ Landstill101, thanks for the top 8 breakdown and the metagame report, and the top 8 archetype breakdown.

This was a pretty competitive event!

I went 3-1-2, losing to Mike Bennett with Counterslivers (who made top 4) in a very close match. Although this was my first Legacy tournament in two years that i hadn't finished in the money, I still had a blast. And, as usual, i had one match loss.

Was either draw intentional?

Smmenen
02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Nope, unfortunately.

I drew against my buddy Paul Mastriano, and Bobby from the Akron crew.

The good news for me is that these were my first unintentional draws in legacy in two years too. So it's not a pattern either.

There were so many draws in this tournament! I blame the Akron crew for bringing so many ITF!

yawg07
02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
ROFL That could be true. There were 11 of us, 3 of which playing ITF.

Zach Tartell
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Do we have contact info for Chris Hartten? He's the Mighty Quinn player.

lyle h
02-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I have polished off 3 Thurmanators in my days in Columbus. Each one more satisfying than the last. My name is sharpied on the wall in 3 spots. The last time was on 4/20 last year. HEhe.

Actually now that I think about it that is a lie. I usually leave thurmans (after dessert) still craving food so I end up at either Taco Bell or Wendys to grab a snack and shake.

I anxiously await my return to the world of the employed magic players.

kingpete
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I was told about you lyle, and long to see you in action someday... My normal Thurman burger, NOT the thurmanator, fed me for 2 meals so i can only imagine what a thurmanator would do to me...

lyle h
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I am 6'4" and only 168 lbs

kingpete
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Hahaha well done sir! Im 6'3'' 225 and am no slouch when it comes to eating, but i just dont think i was mentally ready to handle the burger that was presented to me.

Patrick
02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Nope, unfortunately.

I drew against my buddy Paul Mastriano, and Bobby from the Akron crew.

The good news for me is that these were my first unintentional draws in legacy in two years too. So it's not a pattern either.

There were so many draws in this tournament! I blame the Akron crew for bringing so many ITF!

Not counting your draw against Landstill at RIW.

lyle h
02-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Hahaha well done sir! Im 6'3'' 225 and am no slouch when it comes to eating, but i just dont think i was mentally ready to handle the burger that was presented to me.
That is why you fail.

kingpete
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
That is why you fail.

So true...