PDA

View Full Version : semi-casual, extended based, Ur Tron

grahf
01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
So this is basically mono-blue Gifts Tron with a very slight red splash. I doubt the deck would survive against Wastelands, but it is pretty fun to play. There are some interesting cards in the Legacy cardpool that are pretty good in Tron.

// Lands
12 Tron
5 Islands
3 Tolaria West
1 Steam Vents
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Great Furnace
1 Petrified Field
1 Academy Ruins

// Blue
4 Repeal
4 Condescend
4 Gifts Ungiven
3 Thirst For Knowledge
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Capsize
1 Relearn
1 Argivian Restoration

// Red
1 Trash for Treasure
1 Fireball

// Non-creature Artifacts
4 Izzet Signet
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Crucible of Worlds
3 Oblivion Stone
1 Engineered Explosives

// Big Robots
1 Triskelion
1 Duplicant
1 Sundering Titan
1 Bosh, Iron Golem

Nothing terribly out of the ordinary compared to Extended Tron, except that I don't see many mono-blue lists. The primary win condition is having Bosh chuck recurring Sundering Titans at the opponent's face. Academy Ruins and the Artifact reanimation spells (Argivian Restoration, Trash for Treasure) can recur: Oblivion Stone, Engineered Explosives, Duplicant, Triskelion, anything Bosh chucks. So that is kinda the main hook of the deck. Your first Gifts is probably for Crucible, Academy, Petrified Field, and a missing Tron piece; however, with Tolaria West you might not need to, and proceed straight to big robots + reanimation.

Two cards that the Legacy cardpool add to this deck are Argivian Restoration and Relearn, both of which are intended to improve Gifts piles. The Restoration is like Zombify in UB Tron, except better because it will bring back noncreature artifacts too if need be. I'm not sure if Relearn is worth it, but I figure that throwing into a Gifts pile of spells will make it more likely to get what I want.

Two other heavy-blue spells we can use are Capsize and Dominate. Once Capsize comes online it's hard for an opponent to do much. This deck should theoretically support Dominate's heavy mana cost quite easily, but I couldn't find space for it. I wanted to play Spell Burst too, but the deck felt very top-heavy with that and the aforementioned two spells that are pretty much useless until I get Tron out. Merchant Scrolls were also in the deck, but I cut them for the 4th Gifts and some other stuff. Oh yes, and refilling your hand with a massive end-of-turn Stroke of Genius feels really good. I guess I could play Invoke the Firemind too, and perhaps should, but is that going a little to far over the deep end into casual jankyness? Regardless, I think Fireball should be replaced with Banefire once Conflux comes out (or perhaps Fanning the Flames, but I don't like the double red casting cost).

I'm not sure if the artifact count is high enough to support both Thirst for Knowledge and Trash for Treasure, hence the cut to 3 Thirsts.

I considered adding some Red board sweepers like Wildfire or Devastation, but recurring Oblivion Stone seems better in almost any case. I don't really want to destroy my own lands without more artifact mana, but the O-stone will wipe most of my artifact mana, so it's kinda either-or.

So there it is. It's not terribly creative, but I've seen some truly horrible casual Tron lists, so I figured I'd throw this out there.

freakish777
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
How about something like:

// Lands
12 Tron
4 Islands
4 Tolaria West
1 Seat of the Synod
2 Breeding Pool
1 Academy Ruins

// Blue
4 Repeal
4 Condescend
4 Gifts Ungiven
2 Thirst For Knowledge
3 Stroke of Genius
1 Beacon of Tomorrow
2 Time Stretch

// Green
1 Life from the Loam

// Non-creature Artifacts
4 Simic Signet
3 Oblivion Stone
1 Engineered Explosives

//Creatures
1 Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar

// Medium Sized Robots
1 Platinum Angel
1 Grim Poppet

Stroke of Genius + Tomorrow is absurdly good if you can set it up. Loam over Crucible lets you Gifts for Loam, the missing Tron piece, Academy Ruins, and Platinum Angel/OStone, etc. Grim Poppet may or may not be better than Triskelion. Time Stretch and Beacon of Tomorrow are what you're digging for with Stroke + Tomorrow, the whole point of this particular deck is to eventually be playing Beacon of Tomorrow every turn (as you've drawn the rest of your deck).

grahf
01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Now that is a fascinating idea. I think the deck should be called "Tomorrow Comes Today."

Coincidentally, I have a playset of Time Warps coming in the mail to me, and I was vaguely contemplating how to make a take-infinite-turns deck. (There's obviously Panoptic Mirror-imprint, which is totally lame; I was thinking more along the lines of recurring an Eternal Witness.) Tron seems like an ideal shell though, and the absurdly overcosted super-Time Walks seem even better in this case than Time Warp.

Let me see if I follow this... end-of-turn Stroke myself with Tomorrow out, which should find me a fistful of extra-turn spells. Then I Time Stretch: first extra turn, cast Beacon. Second extra turn, Stroke again to dig for Beacon again. Third extra turn, Time Stretch again, then dig for Beacon again, repeat the loop. Ok yeah, seems pretty sick, I just had to type it out to think it though.

I've tried Ug Tron with Loam before, but it felt awkward for some reason, probably because I didn't like skipping a draw and milling myself to get Ruins back. Which admittedly is a bad reason, compared to the benefits of it being faster and more compact than relying on Petrified Field.

The Bosh plan was fun and fair, but kinda hard to pull off and never that strong unless I piss off my friends and play Tinker. I will definitely try out this Tomorrow+Tomorrows (heh) plan, the end result would be similar to infinite Mindslaver, but slightly less evil.