4 Ebony Owl Netsuke
4 Black Vise
4 Everlasting Torment
4 Manaforge Cinder
4 Murderous Redcap
4 Dark Ritual
2 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
18 Swamp

This is purely untested, it's just an idea I had when I saw the Parasite to revamp the Owling Mine deck. Any ideas?

bowvamp
01-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I played you on MWS! I was <lulz>. I never saw parasite, but from what I did see, your spiteful visions were the death of you...

heroicraptor
01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I haven't played this deck. I just made it in my head just now.

Phoenix Ignition
01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Black Vise is banned.

And decks that win off of opponents drawing cards always lose in legacy, especially with absolutely 0 control or combo hate.

This is like giving combo a free ad nauseum

grahf
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Dude, this is the casual forum, if you're playing Storm Combo, you're not playing casual. And yeah, too bad about the Vise...

Might I recommend Teferi's Puzzle Box instead? A friend of mine played a multiplayer deck with that along with Underworld Dreams, and while not exactly good, it was really annoying. The only possible problem might be that U. Dreams only affects your opponents, whereas some of the other damage-for-cards effects (Spiteful Visions) are symmetrical. Oh, and my friend also played Chains of Mephistopheles in that deck, which was pretty ridiculous. It occurs to me that Megrim would combo well with Chains, and act as a decent Black Vise replacement, but it would be mutually exclusive with Puzzle Box (as you don't discard with Puzzle Box, you put on the bottom).

I also think you should have Howling Mine effect 5-8, to make the deck more consistent, Anvil of Bogardan should work pretty well and synergizes with most all of the above mentioned cards. Well, I see that you have Mikokoro, but that's gonna cost mana every turn to activate.

So yeah, in multiplayer at least, this is the kind of deck that makes you a target real quick, but you can at least sometimes take out a player or two who's not prepared for it.

m03
01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Black Vise is banned.

It could be replaced with Iron Maiden, which is essentially Black Vise with a casting cost of (3).

KillemallCFH
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I used to have a Underworld Dreams/Teferi's Puzzle Box/Howling Mine casual deck. It was pretty ballin' back in the day. This dude (http://magiccards.info/chk/en/143.html) was always really good for me. With an Underworld Dreams out, your opponent loses 5 life on his upkeep. And a 6/5 for 5 is also nothing to scoff at.

Elfrago
01-23-2009, 02:39 PM
4 Everlasting Torment
4 Manaforge Cinder

Those are bad.
There are far better red permanents.
Ashenmoor Gourger is the first that I can think of.

heroicraptor
01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
It can't block, and I was aiming this to be more of a controllish deck, but aggro might be the better way to go, using the owling mine stuff as reach/faster clock.

grahf
01-23-2009, 04:49 PM
4 Everlasting Torment
4 Everlasting Torment
4 Manaforge Cinder

Those are bad.
There are far better red permanents.

While I do somewhat agree that Torment and Cinder don't directly assist the gameplan of this deck, putting in random dumb aggro creatures seems even more pointless. You're trying to kill opponents with their own card draw. Seizan looks pretty nice though, as he is accomplishing your goals while also being a fat creature. Something like Will O' the Wisp could work too, just to slow down your opponent until your draw-damage can come online.

// Dudes = 12
4 Will O' The Wisp
4 Kederkekt Parasite
3 Seizan, Perverter of Truth

// Enchantments = 8
4 Underworld Dreams
4 Spiteful Visions

// Artifacts = 16
4 Howling Mine
4 Anvil of Bogardan
4 Teferi's Puzzle Box
4 Iron Maiden
1 Ebony Oil Netsuke

//Mana = 24
4 Dark Ritual
2 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
18 Swamp

Something like this perhaps? Only 3 Seizans, because he is legendary, and Iron Maiden seems better than Ebony Owl in most cases, but having more than 4 of the effect is always good. The glaring problem is that Seizan and Spiteful visions will kill you just as readily as they will your opponent.

Interesting situations arise when you have a Mine/Anvil, a Puzzle Box, and the Underworld Dreams out. Your opponents can choose the order in which they want to stack these draw step effects. There's no good way to do it though, as you can either draw your extra cards first, and then Puzzle Box, giving your more cards in hand but also taking more damage. If you Puzzle Box first, you take less damage, but see fewer cards. And then if you add Chains of Meph into the mix with Puzzle Box... you basically have Possessed Portal. All the Puzzle Box draws are replaced with discard-then-draws, so you end up with no cards in hand. It's a soft lock.

It occurs to me that something like Guardian Beast would be pretty good in here to protect your artifacts, except that it's a very difficult card to find and no one I know has one.

heroicraptor
01-24-2009, 01:03 AM
While I do somewhat agree that Torment and Cinder don't directly assist the gameplan of this deck, putting in random dumb aggro creatures seems even more pointless.
Kederkekt Parasite requires a red permanent, and only having Spiteful Visions to turn it on doesn't seem like enough. I was thinking maybe Rakdos Guildmage, who would turn on Parasite and also allow me to stop creatures that could attack me.

edit: Oooh, Font of Mythos (http://mtgsalvation.com/conflux-spoiler.html#3144) looks like fun.

Banelich
01-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I've been playing MtG on and off since about a month before Legends went out of print, and I'd have to say that this kind of annoying casual crap has probably been one of my favorite deck types.....

I'm not going to actually post an altered deck list here, but rather throw out a few other cards for consideration or "Dis-Consideration" as the case may be. Some of the more obvious (and mostly better cards have already been mentioned.......)

Once upon I time b4 I sold all my paper magic :( I had a nifty reanimator deck, U/B, among the many spiffy toys in the deck were 4x Careful Study, 2x Attunement for draw, and 3x Dragon Mage as part of my army's fatties. One of the things I loved about this deck was that the SB turned this into a Megrim / reanimator which no one saw coming the first time playing against it.
(I noticed you looked more interested in Underworld...but still worth mentioning) anyways...here was the SB
2x Forbid
3x Gloom
2x Last Rites
4x Megrim
4x Wheel and Deal <-----(EOT OUCHIE!)

A few other cards that blue has to offer in a deck like this;
Arcane Laboratory (the original Rule of Law, Which also makes counter decks sick and counter vs counter just stupid)
Prosperity obvious
Stroke of Genius obvious as above, only at instant speed

Blue may be worth adding or splashing though B/U or B/U/R would obviously require mana fixers, and make this not "Mono-Black Owling Mine" but hey, whatever.

As for red, this is absolute crap, but I've actually seen it work,
Shocker - Yes its crap, it dies to everything (so does Parasite) but it, and its newer, twice as expensive cousin "Barbed Shocker" both have the qualification of damage, rather than "combat" damage anyways I've seen this turned into a "Tim" (With Quicksilver Dagger of all things, though there are more tools for this now days) throw in Pemmin's Aura and you've got the crappiest combo deck on the planet....

OK on a more serious note, I don't know your budget, and I know this is a budget forum, and the inclusion of these cards is dependent upon the direction your deck takes, but what about;
Haunting Echoes as a 1 or 2 of
Extirpate x 2-3?

Just my 1 & 1/2 cents.

Skeggi
01-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Why mono black? Stuff like Jace Beleren (http://magiccards.info/lw/en/71.html), Prosperity (http://magiccards.info/6e/en/89.html) and Stroke of Genius (http://magiccards.info/jr/en/13.html) can really kick in too :smile:. Immagine a Stroke of Genius in response to Owl's trigger :wink:.